• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 vs Xbox One console sizes - PS4 is small

Owzers

MS says xbone is "whisper quiet"....has there been any word on if ps4 will be loud again? I couldn't stand my 60GB model and even my slim unit makes a whiny fan noise.

which led me to wonder if it's possible to reduce PS3 even more. is super slim the smallest they could make for PS3? it'd be so nice if PS3 ever reach something like PStwo size
I thought it was because the Cell is a dead end, so there is no point in developing more efficient, smaller versions of it, so the PS3 is always going to kick out a significant amount of heat?

How the hell can this thing be small, compact then decently cooled?

Sony has world class engineers. MS does not. What did you expect?

There is literally no metric the Xbone beats the ps4 on. It's significantly larger, significantly weaker, significantly more expensive, and it has an external PSU.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
some guy at B3D claims PS4 is down clocked.any of our insiders heard anything about this ?

No, at this point its pretty much confirmed that the rumoured "downclocks" were actually about the PS4. Sony used some pretty clever misdirection to cast suspicion over the XBO, and divert attention from themselves. Just like the recent story about MS using paid PR shills on Reddit that SCE had planted. This is now triple confirmed by both my Chinese AND Korean sources.

some guy at B3D claims PS4 is down clocked.any of our insiders heard anything about this ?

"No, at this point its pretty much confirmed that the rumoured "downclocks" were actually about the PS4. Sony used some pretty clever misdirection to cast suspicion over the XBO, and divert attention from themselves. Just like the recent story about MS using paid PR shills on Reddit that SCE had planted. This is now triple confirmed by both my Chinese AND Korean sources."

So hilarious! So salty!

275x53x305 (wxhxl) MM is an engineering marvel compared to MS' solution
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Guys a smaller system means a system that generates less heat. They aren't going to simply jam a hot box into a tinier box. The PS4 likely generates less heat and consumes less power. The Xbox Obe is large because it generates a lot of heat. You only make these boxes as big as you need to make them.

Zoator

Sony put the FLOP performance of the PS4 GPU directly into the spec sheet that was released yesterday, and it remained at 1.84 TFLOPS. If the GPU was downclocked, this number would have gone down.

Qassim

That's so odd, although I did think the motherboard in the XBOne was surprisingly large:

tU8qZz1.jpg

I'm curious to see inside the PS4 now.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sweet, the PSEye port is in the back. I hated the PS3 not having a USB port in the back, it just looked ugly having a PS3 Eye dangling a wire from the front.

Takuya

Banned
I took some pics of both consoles today at E3.

I'm posting them up in a bit.

PS4 is really small, I was surprised.

RiverBed

Banned
For some reason Lamborghini comes to mind when I look at the rear of PS4. Don't know why.

Yup, I think super car as well. I imagine air will be blowing out of those things mightier than a wind tunnel- and I expect to hear epic engine roaring. I wonder if I'd need to bolt it down so it won't fly into my face?

The system looks amazing: it is immediately grabbing. sleek, looks like it's hovering or from the future because of its unique design. And it is such a unique design.

So this will be the system I'll befriend for the next half decade. So far so good. :)

OnFire331

The PS4 is surprisingly small and it even has the power brick inside. The glossy part combined with the matte part reminds me of the PS2 Slim, the best console design ever IMO.

rykomatsu

It really seems like Sony did everything right with the PS4, and as a hardware company they obviously have the expertise to design great products

Microsoft has the ability to make great looking/feeling software too imho. Surface RT and the Arc Touch mouse come to mind. One doesn't look too attractive which is a shame...

Kak.efes

Seeing them side by side really hammers home the point that MS is a software company first and foremost, and by extension, why their hopes for being the media hub of peoples living rooms will never, ever fucking happen.

plainr_

Smaller and more powerful. Amazing what Sony pulled off.

Can you imagine how much smaller it would be with an external PSU. We could see a slim model in less than 2 years easily.

Top Bottom