• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Elandyll

Banned
02solareclipse2016.jpg

This will be the first total eclipse visible in NA in 40 years, the next one being on April 8 2024, and then you'll have to wait 20ish years.

What?
An actual Total Solar Eclipse, where the moon gets to cover the sun perfectly during the day, and -if you have protecting eyewear- allowing you to see the Sun's corona. This is the kind of eclipse you might get to be near only 2 to 3 times in your lifetime possibly.
solar_eclipse72209.jpg

When?
Monday August 21 2017 (in roughly 3 months - if you need to reserve hotel rooms, better do it quick, media coverage is slowly ramping up)
Start at 3:35pm UTC (11:45 ET)
Maximum at 6:21pm UTC (2:21pm ET) - peak lasts for 2m40s)

Where?
A 60+ mile wide path from Oregon to South Carolina

Full Eclipse visible in: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
Maximum duration: 2:40s minutes

Partial visible in: all of North America (with a minimum coverage of half the Sun's surface) and parts of South America

path-760.png

2.%20eclipse%20map.jpg

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov

REMEMBER TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

No, Sunglasses aren't enough!

Gojeran

Lucky for me I live in Oregon and i should be able to see the full eclipse from my house. Perhaps I'll sit on my neighbors roof. Can't wait.

Nozem

I actually planned my vacation in the USA specifically for this event. 4 weeks traveling around Washington and Oregon!

I've got a room booked just south of Portland, Oregon to check this out. Hopefully the weather doesn't foil my plans that day.

Fortunately, historical averages say that Aug 21 is likely to be good weather. August has the least chance of precipitation of the entire year.

brau

I've got a room booked just south of Portland, Oregon to check this out. Hopefully the weather doesn't foil my plans that day.

A coworker was telling me how he had reserved a spot 3 years ago for it and just recently they told him they would raise the lot rental slightly. It went from $200 to $3000. lol at slightly.

A coworker was telling me how he had reserved a spot 3 years ago for it and just recently they told him they would raise the lot rental slightly. It went from $200 to $3000. lol at slightly.

I didn't realise the business around a total solar eclipse was so crazy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got a hotel in Weatland WY reserved. They tried to charge $1000 for a night, but I was able to use my rewards points from the hotel on a free night.

Go the day before, morning of I am going to drive to some backroad in Wyoming or west Nebraska and hopefully avoid crowds.

By the time I got to booking which was August of 2016, most of the rooms in the area were already long gone, but I managed to get 2 nights at a place in Newberg for under $200. Weekend trip.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My wife's dad owns a lot of land in Missouri where the best view line is, I think we'll take a road trip to go see this :)

Last Eclipse I remember was in the early 90's, when I was in New Mexico.

MajorMane

For anyone interested in learning more about this and in particular about the people who travel around the world for this sort of thing, I would recommend checking out the Every Little Thing podcast from Gimlet Media. Their first episode "Rapture Chasers" covers solar eclipses.

It's actually where I first heard about this particular eclipse. Should be interesting to see what I can see here in Lincoln.

tbm24

I wonder how much if it I'll be a letter to see in New York...if at all? I haven't had good luck catching even a partial eclipse before.

Mortemis

Banned
How much do you guys think will be visible from Seattle? May end up driving down to Oregon for that day.

edit: didn't closely look at the pic in the OP. So it'll be really close to a full eclipse? Sounds great.

We're going to Wyoming, near Grand Teton and Yellowstone, to see this. That reminds me, I've gotta get an oversize welder's mask as a joke, before I show my girlfriend what we'll really need to wear to watch.

I feel like the eclipse started 4 months ago, though.

Ooh, someone should totally do the Connecticut Yankee eclipse thing to that moron (assuming you're talking about what I think you are). It would work, right?

Chris R

How much do you guys think will be visible from Seattle? May end up driving down to Oregon for that day.

edit: didn't closely look at the pic in the OP. So it'll be really close to a full eclipse? Sounds great.

I'd still take the day off work and drive south a bit.

I'd fly down from Alaska but hotel prices anywhere NEAR the total bits are insane.

Zukkoyaki

I work for a city government in mid-Missouri and we're preparing all kinds of stuff for this. People from all over the world have been asking us about it for two years now and our hotels are already getting booked up. Town is going to be crazy packed... I may take a vacation haha.

BFIB

Took a few days off, I have family in Glen Carbon so we're going to check it out.

Hotels are booking up fast in St. Louis, so I'd get on that if you are planning on coming.

muu

My town is right smack in the eclipse trajectory in Oregon. Took half day off so I can see it w/ my daughter.

Local Makers have sessions going on where they're making Camera Obscuras to see the eclipse.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm just going to drive down into the general vicinity of the totality and pull over or stop somewhere - no need to camp out or stay in a hotel for a 3 minute totality event when I'm only about 45 minutes away. I just bought some eclipse glasses too, so I'm about as ready as I'll need to be.

Zona

Total eclipse of the heartland.

I'm pretty sure I'll be in Oklahoma City around then. If it's after my academy ends possibly I'll drive up to the path.

_woLf

Staying with a friend of mine at his parents house in Oregon, directly in the line of totality.

I can't wait.

ag-my001

Been meaning to book a hotel in Kentucky or Tennessee for this, but those prices are getting steep. Maybe I'll talk to some friends who do a lot of camping to get a group going; figure camp sites should be more cost efficient.

My wife's dad owns a lot of land in Missouri where the best view line is, I think we'll take a road trip to go see this :)

Last Eclipse I remember was in the early 90's, when I was in New Mexico.

lol, nice. My wife's mom has a place about an hour south of St. Louis that's literally a few hundred feet from that center line of travel. We're all going to take the day off with a crowd of people from my work that begged me to take them with us.

Top Bottom