• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

LotusHD

Banned
did claire and matt say anything to each other? seems odd

Lmao I just realized, no, I don't believe they ever spoke even once. Luke, Misty, and Colleen more or less took up all her time.

Finished it. I liked it.

Weird that we didn't get to see Iron Fist in his green suit like we see it in the promotional material though. Weird.

And that Punisher teaser was kind of disappointing but still better than nothing.

I think that he might be leaning into finally getting his damn costume at the end there? Seems like he wants to follow in Daredevil's footsteps as a vigilante?

Glass Rebel

"You have to realize we're on the same side."

"I know you don't trust me but you have to believe me that we're on the same side."

"I'm on your side." - "Which side would that be?" - "The same."

"We same on the side."

hobozero

"You have to realize we're on the same side."

"I know you don't trust me but you have to believe me that we're on the same side."

"I'm on your side." - "Which side would that be?" - "The same."

"We same on the side."

The series took the "I can't explain wha'ts going on you just have to trust me" trope out behind the toolshed and beat it to death with a sock full of quarters.

Let me rephrase - terribly random hip hop. Like, climactic end battle and all of a sudden Wu Tang is playing out of nowhere? Daredevil is kicking a dude while Inspectah Deck is yelling about my "neighborhood Spider-man"? :) I was barely keeping my disbelief together with the don't-think-about-it-too-hard Evil Plot (tm), and that just struck me as so odd.

I liked it. Hip-hop follows Luke around so it seems natural a classic Wu posse cut scores the big team up fight

did claire and matt say anything to each other? seems odd

That was a wasted opportunity, I was waiting for one of them to say something

Neoxon

Honestly, I'd be okay with Luke Cage & Iron Fist being lumped together as Heroes for Hire after their respective 2nd seasons. Their chemistry was pretty damn solid in Defenders & I'd love to see more of them together. Not to mention that we're getting one step closer to Daughters of the Dragon.

Crazy eyes Elektra man. The hot-to-crazy ratio defies Euclidean alegbra.
You can't spell "psychotic" without "hot".

Chase17

Just finished. Weakest Netflix Marvel series outside of Iron Fist by far (at least it was only 8 episodes).

Worst aspect of it was probably the villains. Weaver was a huge disappointment, Gao is overplayed, Elektra felt like a rehash, and the Sensei is just awful. White hat guy was the best villain lol. When Weaver's character got axed like that it became clear that the villain aspect of the story would be an irredeemable mess. At least The Hand are done with?
*waits for Gao to survive and be the driving force of another season*

The character interaction between the main four was fun. I'd say the scenes at the restaurant were probably the peak of the series.

Last episode was perplexing. Random hip hop music over the "final battle", goofy shot of guy falling down the abyss, and approximately 17 cuts to the empty doorway DD wasn't walking through made it pretty comical though.

Overall, the series was boring. At least Iron Fist veered close enough to so bad it's good territory (for me anyways).

LotusHD

Banned
Honestly, I'd be okay with Luke Cage & Iron Fist to be lumped together as Heroes for Hire after their respective 2nd seasons. Their chemistry was pretty damn solid in Defenders & I'd love to see more of them together. Not to mention that we're getting one step closer to Daughters of the Dragon.

You can't spell "psychotic" without "hot".

Hopefully after each of their respective seasons, they just do that instead.

Vic_Viper

Just finished it myself. Kinda dissapointed by the ending but still loved the series nonetheless. Fealt more like a Daredevil Season 3 than a Defenders show but it was just the first (hopefully). Wasnt there an interview a few days ago where they said something "crazy" happens at the end that sets up what is to come though!? I was waiting for something to happen lol and all we got was Matt in a bed again.

Still have no idea where they take these series now if the Hand is really gone. I have a feeling they will never actually be gone but I hope they can bring in some new threat for these guys to face together again.

Either way, cant wait for Daredevil S3 now! Would like to see Bullseye finally, which would work if they bring Fisk back as teased.

OmegaFax

Not going to lie ... I was hooked up until maybe the 5th or 6th episode before I started skipping around.

I thought the characters and chemistry were sophmorish at best ... borderline grating. It was okay. The editing and color timing was fucking all over the place. tl;dr a bunch of back stabbing, nearly immortal assholes run out of life goop. Hand got out of hand.

"How do we get all the secondary characters except the Meachums to interact" ... "Uh, let's put them in the same room and figure it out later".

Sidenote: I kind of feel like Sigourney Weaver didn't want to have to speak a second language so they ended up doing a Star Wars bit where two people have conversations but answer each other in two different languages.

Dynomutt

Yeah ep. 7 confirms my belief again that these guys just don't mix with MCU big dogs...

Iron Man would make this a 2 episode series. First and last lol. I can hear Tony's repulsors charging up, him blasting Bakuto, Gao, and, the Bear Eater, and saying you guys called me for this? And flying away.

Neoxon

Another thing is that lumping Luke & IF into Heroes for Hire would help lighten Marvel TV's load in terms of Netflix shows so they won't have to worry about biting off more than they can chew.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I need to stop watching these Marvel Netflix shows. The final episodes are so religiously shit, it feels like some mandatory contract thing at this point.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I was underwhelmed. Also several of them doing "this is waaaaaay to crazy" bit so often got really annoying like come on how about being a bit open minded when you're bullet proof and have super strength and have faced other shit that is pretty weird to begin with.

Also nobu was like 1000 times(hyperboling) better than I already forgot his name boss.

OmegaFax

Yeah ep. 7 confirms my belief again that these guys just don't mix with MCU big dogs...

Iron Man would make this a 2 episode series. First and last lol. I can hear Tony's repulsors charging up, him blasting Bakuto, Gao, and, the Bear Eater, and saying you guys called me for this? And flying away.

I remember that interview from a month ago about how Amy Pascal and Kevin Feige were sitting together in an interview and she said the Venom movie was part of the MCU much to Feige giving a very distinctly "nope" expression on his face.

They need to address the Pascal in the room and just say that these Netflix shows are so distant from the MCU or the ABC Marvel TV shows they might as well not be in the same universe.

but yeah, they make small forced references to Avengers in some of the Netflix series which brings up ... well ... Iron Man could have handled this in like half an hour. This vindicates the Vindicators episode of Rick & Morty.

Edit:

The Japanese guy does that to everyone though.

Yeah ... I was just focused on her scenes because I think she makes one or two attempts to speak back in Japanese ... and it didn't sound right. Still. It stands to make no sense why they did this.

Other than the writers fucking him over near the end I thought the iron fist actor improved a lot.

The Elektra twist and motivation to keep fighting Matt was ridiculous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'm on episode five. Sigourney Weaver. Like...why is she even there? Why did they create some old white woman to lead the Hand? Couldn't they just restore the badassery of Madame Gao that used to make her pretty damn terrifying pre-Iron Fist?

LotusHD

Banned
I was underwhelmed. Also several of them doing "this is waaaaaay to crazy" bit so often got really annoying like come on how about being a bit open minded when you're bullet proof and have super strength and have faced other shit that is pretty weird to begin with.

Also nobu was like 1000 times(hyperboling) better than I already forgot his name boss.

Yea, Murakami was the worst one out of all of them. There's no way I can be expected to believe that Nobu served under him. Sowande was kinda cool though, should've given him more to do.

Sandfox

Just finished and I really like where it left the characters. Danny wearing the tracksuit is something I've been wanting.

hey guys, i just wanted to let y'all know that you're in danger but i can't tell you from who because they're super dangerous criminals.

i will be back in an hour to let you two more times.

You guys are tripping. That ending fight with Protect ya Neck was great. Like get out of here with that terrible opinion. I just wish Defenders was more hip hop.

Danny gets better service in this than his own damn series (even if he's being a dumb kid). I'm hoping the death of Matt (at least to him) actually makes him grow as a character. That ending shot with him on the rooftop was pretty great.

It was hard to believe Matt had died when you already know Daredevil S3 is a thing. But for a second, I nearly believed that was a cover up.

Sigourney Weaver is wasted in this. But it wasn't all for nothing, because we get to hear her say "baka"

Still wish they just merge Luke and Danny's shows together and we can get even more hip-hop.

Honestly I'm just glad that the team didn't completely break apart and then reform because I hate that trope and I've already watched 3 Avenger films.

Kalentan

I know I might be in the minority but I liked it!

Sure the ending may have been a bit more bombastic and dumb than I expected but honestly enjoyed every bit of it. The character interactions were great and for now, ends the Hand threat, which allows other stories to move forward into new territory.

Top Bottom