• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Generation X Discussion (Born 1965–1979) - We actually played with toys!

Remf

Born in 77 and it was a great time to grow up (puts on rose tinted glasses). Watching thunder cats, he-man, smurfs, nightcourt, etc was awesome. Regarding the Catalogs, I was always excited to get the jcpenny Christmas catalog every year so I could make my list. Got the whole set of the original transformers as well as the metal Optimus prime and I was the shit in the neighborhood. Good times...

Teggy

Yaaaaas, my people! 40 somethings get in here! Let's play some Dark Castle! Shit I meant Dark Tower, but Dark Castle was also that cool game on the Apple.

Fuck I'm old :'(

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I'm sorry, but the original Jetfire was the ultimate toy.

ku-xlarge.jpg

What's this about Millennials not playing with toys? They didn't do butt stuff with them, did they? Seems like everything with Millennials is butt stuff.

My favorite transformer/robotech toy. I only saw it in stores one time. Somehow convinced my mom to buy it for me. It was broken in the box. Never saw another one to have her buy me.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
10pack.jpg

I remember trading these and Garbage Pail Kids in the same sitting.

Muscle men were so awesome. My favorite was always the brick wall dude for some reason. Knowing now that its based off of an anime, its shocking to me that no one picked it up for the US. Especially as hot as wrestling was in general in the 80s.

zerotol

Banned
oh my god SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERS CHILDREN'S PALACE

A toy store filled from top to bottom with every toy imaginable that was also a FUCKING CASTLE.

childrenspalace.jpg

I loved that place.

Remember candy cigarettes? I felt cool as hell being able to ride my bike down to the corner store and walk out with a can of Bubble Yum soda and a packet of candy cigarettes.

Oh, and I was born in 1980.

The Shining carpet pattern strikes again

213459_v1.jpg

Nephtes

I am neither a gen xer or millennial. Us 82's are a forgotten generation
😢

It's cool... I just found out today, we're technically a "microgeneration"...
But not because we remember Micromachines and that dude who talked really fast, but because we don't fit in with Gen-X or Millennials perfectly...

We're X-ennials.
Capable of remembering life without the internet, Kurt Cobain's suicide, all while being young enough to be able to contemplate consuming avacado toast.

naib

↑ A friend of ,mine had Jetfire and I don't remember coveting anything more.

My mom wouldn't get my GI Joes 'cause she was sure it was military recruitment propaganda. A friend got me Snow Job for my birthday and she never really realized it was a GI Joe and I never told her. If you hide the gun he's just some snow skier dude.

Y'all remember the MUSCLES wrestling ring?

Didn't take long to realize the thicker guys always one.

Aske

Born in 81 and I feel the same. I think the date range used to classify Millennials is too wide, and there's a dramatic difference in experience between those born in the early '80s and those born in the early-mid '90s. Someone born in '95 would likely have had a completely different childhood to someone born in 1980.

Whereas I was born at the end of 81, and couldn't be more Millennial. I feel like people in their late 20s/early 30s are my people, while most other 35-and-older folk are too Gen Xey for me to click with. I have a totally different value set and worldview to them. To really boil it down, they're typically more cynical and pessimistic, less progressive, and less empathetic towards the less fortunate members of society. Way more progressive and empathetic than the Boomers, but less so than Millennials.

Edit:

I think the defining factor is the expectations Millennials were raised with. We were told if we jumped through hoops A, B, and C; we would get rewarded with life Z. This is why so many Millennials are accused of being "entitled". We were told we would be if we held up our end of the bargain (school, university, work experience, etc), which many of us did, only to find the certainties we were raised to belive in, and which motivated us through our teens and early twenties, weren't certainties at all. Despite what we were told, there are no guarantees in life. But crucially, we believe that there probably should be. Millennials typically feel that everyone is entitled to an awesome life; and have much more empathy for the impoverished because we know their economic circumstances aren't their fault.

I think we were also educated more comprehensively about issues of race and gender. I just got the tail-end of that, but not being triggered by words like triggered, and totally being triggered by words like triggered is a huge ideological difference between me and the Gen Xers in my life.

These things are much more significant factors in how I relate to others than the fact that I can remember life pre-internet.

Weevilone

I was a Micronauts kid. Man I loved those things.

The little figures themselves were pretty poor quality, but the ships and stuff were cool as hell, and you could mix and match parts.

Of course Star Wars toys were amazing too.

Osukaa

1985, played outside, played with toys, had a rotary phone, remember getting the Internet for the first time, etc...

Also don't make much money, will never own a house, massive student debt etc...

I hate this dividing line shit. Let's get together to hate on the real villains, the Boomers, and the upcoming villains, Gen-Z or whatever the fuck the fidget-spinner generation is called.

1980 here and I support your cause. Let us unite against the true villains.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think about 76-84 is kind of a different group than the traditional GenX OR Millenials, in a lot of ways.

I'd say it's closer to 79 or 80 to 84. A lot of the mid-70s folks seem to generally align more with Gen-X despite some of the things you mentioned. Many of us were in college in the mid to late 90s and while we still did a lot of the activities you mentioned, we also still shared a lot of the other cultural generational events usually associated with the older Gen Xers.

broony

Toys as a kid were great but it was my teenage years that were really special looking back.

Freedom to do whatever I liked, cheap drink and drugs lead to plenty of excess, but there was much less shit in circulation so you got what you asked for.

Sex but sensible enough so people weren't getting pregnant left right and centre and diseases were on a downward slope because of the fear of aids and awareness to contraception.

Music was just better. So much choice, so much originality, loads of new genres. Hip hop, indie (before oasis and blur fucked it all up), thrash metal, early house, techno and everything in between.

I did many things wrong, but learned so much. I'm a bitter old man now looking at younger generations now. To me, I felt great community spirit and adventure as a teen. From the outside, looking at today's teens, everyone is so insecure and desperate for attention. Really glad I ended up where I did.

Was born in 75. I've got a couple stories:

I had friends (brothers). Clearly to prevent infighting, their parents bought them each one of everything G.I. Joe. That included two of the aircraft carriers.

However, I don't recall them having this thing:

61223d1281323799-custom-25th-terror-drome-terrordrome-small-116.jpg

I did, though. *smug*

I also did have a Castle GreySkulll (though no Snake Mountain).

My goto, though (until videogames became my go-to) was this:

a211-11-jpg.27218469

Contrux. You could build some massive things out of this stuff.

I typically liked to build spaceships, and wearable power armor. Also liked to combine with my G.I. Joe and Star Wars toys to make "enhancements" and carriers for those vehicles.

bengraven

Totally subbing to this thread.

Transformers holy grail for us was this, I only knew one kid that had it.

OmegaSupreme.JPG

Transformers boxes, to this day, make my heart start to race. I can't think of anything but sex that gets me that excited.

It's pure nostalgia, as cool as the boxes look, but I remember that getting a transformer was as awesome to me as a kid as finding out my girlfriend was willing to give me a handjob ("maybe just a few tugs") when I was a teenager. Those boxes meant I was going to open something awesome and could ride that hype for weeks no matter how dark my life got.

Dishwalla

Banned
and Tonka trucks made from steel and not plastic! I had this exact front loader!

I had that front loader too(older end of the Millennial spectrum). When I was little enough I used to sit on the back of it and hold onto that silver metal bar and ride it down the driveway.

ApharmdX

Banned

ku-xlarge.jpg

What's this about Millennials not playing with toys? They didn't do butt stuff with them, did they? Seems like everything with Millennials is butt stuff.

I had this, and it was pretty great. I had a fair number of the toys in this thread- Castle Grayskull, Construx, Blaster, Shockwave, GI Joe Hovercraft, Optimus Prime, Voltron, etc. My brother had the original Bumblebee. Now that I think about it we were actually kinda set when I was young.

Too bad they don't make great toys like these for kids today. The boys toys in particular are trash. Girls toys are still pretty great though!

bengraven

ku-xlarge.jpg

Oh my god, I found a Jetfire at my thrift store! Three bucks!

It's the only G1 I still have. Whites are mostly yellow and it's missing the accessories but it still transforms and has no cracks. It's standing proud in my display case.

My grail is Optimus. A friend is willing to sell me his Masterpiece for $100 complete so that may happen soon.

Korigama

I thought gen y were millenials and z was the generation after that
Gen Y are millenials, and Z is the one after that. No universally agreed upon age range for millenials, the one constant being that the classification always starts with early '80s, the US Census Bureau having settled for 1982-2000.

If someone was born in the '70s, then they are not a millenial.

cr0w

Old Member
Oh my god, I found a Jetfire at my thrift store! Three bucks!

It's the only G1 I still have. Whites are mostly yellow and it's missing the accessories but it still transforms and has no cracks. It's standing proud in my display case.

My grail is Optimus. A friend is willing to sell me his Masterpiece for $100 complete so that may happen soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wei-Jiang-G...305678&hash=item41a130cebe:g:lWgAAOSwp5JWZFLI

Consider this one. No trailer, but it more than makes up for it with being actually better quality and twice the size of the official Hasbro one. I have this one and the black Nemesis Prime version and they KILL the official ones.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Temeculan3000 said:
Also had this, but left it out in the street one day and a car ran over him decapitating him. Years later I learned of its worth

XspumQ0.jpg

That Vader's head came off way too easy. Showed him to my neighbor's dog when I was a kid and he bit it right off.

Born 1977.

Mossybrew

ku-xlarge.jpg

Still have mine, plastic gone yellow with age.

Unfortunately one of the very few toys I managed to hang on to. Soooo much good stuff lost in the winds of moving too many times.

Born in 70 so my life has been conveniently segmented.
70s=disco childhood
80s=new wave/hair metal teen years
90s=grungy young adulthood
2000s=9/11 depression
2010s=pure shit

I am neither a gen xer or millennial. Us 82's are a forgotten generation
😢
Almost feels like we are fuckin' Freshmen. Too young to hang out with the "cool kids", too old do kiddie stuff. We are like that teen period where we are getting dumped with LOADS of responsibilities from our parents because "we're getting older", but aren't respected enough to be trusted or treated like young adults because "we're still too young". That period of life SUCKED.

It's cool... I just found out today, we're technically a "microgeneration"...
But not because we remember Micromachines and that dude who talked really fast, but because we don't fit in with Gen-X or Millennials perfectly...

We're X-ennials.
Capable of remembering life without the internet, Kurt Cobain's suicide, all while being young enough to be able to contemplate consuming avacado toast.

X-ennials... sounds like a new X-Men related comic series to me! Cool!

Nista

Transformers holy grail for us was this, I only knew one kid that had it.

OmegaSupreme.JPG

My grandma got me Omega Supreme for Christmas one year, and I loved that thing to death. I was so glad that my mom convinced her that I didn't like typical girl toys like barbies, and to stop wasting money on them. I always envied my older cousins' G1 Transformers, and it was awesome getting a big fancy one of my own.

Top Bottom