• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What time do you start and leave work?

18-Volt

Monday and a day of my choice: 12:00 - 20:00
Rest of the week: 8:00 - 17:00

And 8 nights a month ER night shifts, 23:00 - 6:00, optional

I can reduce my day work hours by certain amount if I do extra ER night shifts and weekend shifts.

Tzmhero

I work for my city's Irrigation District as a canal operator. Basically, I supply the water used by different farms around the area that use that instead of pumping from ground water. Having one of the largest 'systems' for the district, my main section is roughly 34 miles one way. Since i don't just drive along that creak, but also the different split off lateral canals, I regularly drive on average of 200 miles in one day... without leaving town.

My day is spent checking spills (where the wasted water I ordered goes to another system), divvying the water I have for different customers who start and stop at different points in the day, checking meter readings so we know what to charge the customers, then ordering water for the next day. On top of that I maintain the canals used, and I am on call all day and night in case something bad happens, like a ditch break. I am also constantly being called by customers who are ordering water from me for their different watering periods. I also open and close gates to give water down different canals, distributing the water for changing amounts needed for customers. On top of that, my system actually feeds a second system, so I have to stay in contact with that Canal operator to make sure I am giving them the water they need, or cutting out what they dont need.

Our schedule, for me anyways, is a rotating roughly three week long shift. I start on Tuesday, then work through the next Tuesday before I get two days off (Wednesday and Thursday) before working the next eight days then getting a four day weekend, then repeat. During the time I am off, another person i work with watches over the system and does my job. We work a 8 our shift within a 12 hour period, being between 5 am and 5 pm. Within that time we work kinda as we wish, basically making sure we work our 8 hours but take 4 hours worth of breaks. We do start at 5 am however, but 'starting' luckily isn't driving into town and going to the office, but is basically when we start our trucks, so I'm up at 4:30 am most days.

I tend to work from 5am till about 10 or 11, take an hour or so's break, then work my last few hours before going home. My system's starting points is actually not too far from my house, so I can go home for lunch. I am officially working till 5 pm, however, then I am on call in case anything bad happens. I have been woken up at just about any time of night to fix a problem occurring, then only to be called again a few hours later. It's not fun.

I like my job though, as hectic as it can get. It pays well, and I have full benefits, so I am okay with that.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
3 straight years of 9:00-6:00 with weekends at 9:00-9:00 and some occasional 9:00-2:00am.

45-55 hours a week. Some of that unpaid because of automatic lunches taken out even though I'm there working.

I used to not even bother taking lunches or breaks because people are so fucking terrible and evil, I would get bullied because people can't handle coming up to a service counter and seeing "we'll be back at X:XX". They'd lie to management and try to get me fired for going to lunch. I got harassed because I went to the fucking bathroom to piss one time and I wasn't right there like a goddamn dog responding to calls.

Obviously I never got in trouble because I was a goody two shoes worker that was in the right, but that didn't stop me from just avoiding that uncomfortable shit.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I'm a teacher so I need to be in school at 7:50, school ends at 5:10, sometimes I need to stay 1-2 hours after.

Start at 8:30. Take a half hour lunch. Gone around 5.

A half hour lunch is plenty and I get to leave the house for my hourish commute a little later.

NYR

What kind of company is it that you work at and what do the majority of the people in the office do?

I find it really interesting that in 2017 there are companies that still enjoy working this way.
Energy company. $20 bill market cap. I’m in sales/marketing.

Ra\/en

I have very unpredictable office hours, however, my tues wed are 0845-1800 and my Friday is 0845 to between 1500-1600.

I generally only work 4-5 hours on thursdays and the rest of the week is random shifts.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
Last school year it was 7:15 to 4:45 with an hour and a half lunch. I absolutely hated it and would tell them to shove it if they tried to do that again.

mhayes86

I typically work 8:30AM to 4:30PM, but I could really do any time I wanted as long as I hit 80 hours a pay period. 8:30 is just convenient since my wife and I leave at the same time. My coworkers and I alternate who's on call for the week, which I am at this time, so I could be required to run into work at a moment's notice if there's an outage.

My work environment is pretty relaxed, and I usually eat my lunch at my desk.

Pagusas

Elden Member
When I’m in the office I work from 7am-4pm. Most of my coworkers do 9-6, but that’s brutal for me with dallas traffic. By leaving the house at 6:30, my commute is only 30min. If I were to leave at 8 or 9am it would be 1:15 commute

When I’m working Remote, 8am-5pm.

Been working pretty late the past week or so. And now my boss, who also is still in the office, just told me he's ordering dinner in if I want some. Guess tonight is going to be long too.

fenners

Our core hours are 10-5, with an expectation of 8 hours a day. Typically in by 7:15, out anywhere between 5 & 6, depending on what schedule my wife/kids have. Usually close to 5, but it depends.

Works great for me - as a senior software engineer, I get an 60-90 minutes of peace & quiet before distractions roll in, I get shit done, and then can worry about slack/meetings/conversations/interruptions as the day goes on. Some days are more distracted than others, just depends on what problems my pit is having to deal with, what problems need my attention. But being first engineer in means I get hit with a bunch of problems from QA first.

My leadership knows I come in early, get shit done, work late when I need a bit extra time or focus, but mainly stay focused on problem solving for our team, and people know they can reach me. So far, so good.

Triteon

In the last year my department got intergrated with a different department and it went from clock in when you can and clock out when you finish to incredibly strict rostering done months in advance.

UraMallas

I've got a pretty sweet gig right now. I have my work computer next to my bed so as soon as I wake up I grab it and log in to work. I'll work from home for about an hour or so while I get ready and eat breakfast. I then shut down the computer and go into work. I typically leave the house about 9 and get to work about 9:05. I then leave about 4:00 or 4:30 depending on my mood and get home 5 minutes later. I'll either hop back on for some more OT or I'll just not. I'm typically in the office about 7 hours and I get paid from essentially when I wake up in the morning until when I get home. My commute is so short I just take it as 'break time' like others might take a smoke break.

Sometimes on Fridays I'll just wake up at 7:00 and log on and then leave work at 3:00 and call it a day. My workday is ACTUALLY 8 hours in that scenario including getting ready and the commutes. Lots of extra free time compared to most anybody else I know.

7am-6pm most days. Not great. Need to change that ASAP, but now people just expect me there at 7 in the morning and until 6 at night... Oh, I usually get to take a 10 minute lunch every 2-3 weeks.

badblue

I start work at 7:30am, and I leave the house somewhere between 6:50 and 7:00. I am always at work by 7:10 though as I like to have my coffee before shift.

I leave work at 4:36 and get home around 4:50.

v1perz53

I generally come in to the hospital by 7. Sign out is supposed to be at 5:30 but often gets pushed if there's a lot going on, and I'm out the door hopefully by 6/6:30. 6 days a week (except for one weekend per month where I get 2 days off), with 2 days a week of short call where I stay until 11 PM. I'm technically not legally allowed to work more than 80 hours a week as a medical resident, but I think I go over that most weeks. 50/50 chance to actually eat lunch each day, if it's too busy just have to skip it. Thursdays are lecture days, so at least guaranteed an hour lunch that day, otherwise it is a 15 min eat as quick as you can deal. Can't say being a medical resident has a very good schedule...

Though I still prefer that to my fiancee's schedule. She works 7 AM to 4:30 PM, but one to two days per week has a 24 hour call (works straight 7 AM one day through to 9 AM the next morning). 26 hours of straight work is just too much, not looking forward to doing those calls next year...

Oh forgot to mention, I live about an hour commute from my hospital (fiancee works at a different hospital, was the closest midway we could find), so I wake up around 5:30 to get to work for 7, and get home at around 7:30-8.

4am to 12:30 pm.
Same here. I work at a retail store and the first part of my shift is unloading the truck, which they want done before the store opens.

The nice thing about this shift (aside from practically no traffic when going into work) is that I decided recently to go back to school and this way I can still work full time without being limited to only taking night classes.

DocSeuss

Whenever I feel like it, as long as someone has something for me. The one advantage to freelance work. I'd love to get back into a regular job.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I used to joke that I work "Whenever I get there till whenever I'm done"

Reality is around 8:00-:8:30 (really depends on traffic and my boss is fine with that) till 4:45 but I usually leave at 5:00.

Sounds normal enough right?

I leave my house at 6am and I get home aroun 6:30-:7pm, again depending on traffic.

I take a bus to work so my commute is cake. Gaming, sleeping, or watching Netflix lol.

The Argus

Leave home around 8:10am. Arrive hopefully right at 9, but my job is chill with 10-30 delays thanks to the MTA being awful. Leave work around 6-6:30, home an hour after because I walk my morning bus route.

I'd kill for a 9-5. Never had one. Technically I can take a 1 hour lunch, but I'd rather work through a salad and leave before 7.

Nuts2U

I'm doing the classic 9-5. On VERY small occasions, I'll come in a bit earlier or leave a bit later, but if I have my say, I'm doing things on the dot, every day.

RuGalz

6am to 2pm, gotta avoid the shitty traffic at all cost. I'm glad my company is okay with me choosing that schedule.

Top Bottom