• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

fatalexe

If he's using constant snake edges, then he's either very bad, or he's twigged that you never block them. Listen for the super distinctive hissing sound he makes as a cue to block low.

He's not really spamming it, just using it after sidestepping my moves and throwing it out when I least expect it when he's poking me. In any case, its good that I lost so many games since I can learn from my mistakes.

Edit:

Can I get some advice for dealing with wall pressure? I just had a Leo who destroyed me once he wall carries me from half the map and poking me to death

Can I get some advice for dealing with wall pressure? I just had a Leo who destroyed me once he wall carries me from half the map and poking me to death

"Make good choices". That's it really. =(

The wall is just incredibly dangerous. If you're at the wall, you can't move to make them whiff stuff but they can do it to you, they basically get safe mid combo starters, often low combo starters too, and if you try to walk out their homing moves start combos as well. Even staying on the ground and teching off a ground hit works poorly at the wall.

You just have to make the right decisions on defense. Their lows are still usually punishable, which can let you push out from the wall. But are you going to take that risk when their mids are so good? Most things are still negative on block, so you can jab out. But a frametrap will hurt you more than usual as well.

It's tough and there's not really an easy answer.

AAK

I just lost to a grand master ranked Bryan 15 times in a row with just too good movement and punishes and side stepping for a grand master ranked player, must be a veteran. 15 times playing against him and I eat snake edges 15 games in a row due to me being triggered and nervous. Man this is frustrating and shameful losing to him as I'm like 4 ranks better than him.

If the guy is on WiFi, then snake edge is a legitimate tactic especially with the extra input delay in the PS4 version. It registers your inputs way too late. You will swear you reacted in time but the game won't oblige. Don't get too attached to your ranks, the game will not be very enjoyable for you if you do. You can practice certain frame traps all day offline and when you go online everything is thrown out the window because of shoddy connections. Just take solace in the fact you made a correct decision where things would have worked in your favor had the match been played in a legitimate setting and then move on.

At work, so I can't link a YouTube vid, but a good starting point is to google search this: "og bubsy Becoming A Better Player Ep.18 Defense Against The Wall"

The first video that comes your way. Check that out.

Doomshine

Yesterday I tried out the PS4 version for the fist time for the first time and we were matched against only one opponent.

After that we somehow didn't get matched up even after 5 minutes waiting.

We changed values (as open as possible), changed to ranked and it still didn't worked out.

His Internet connection is good and he said it was never so bad before (Telekom dsl/Germany).

On PC (with my Internet connection which isn't really good) it connects in about 15 seconds with an opponent (sometimes there's an error message or I can't get the revenge match because of an error).

Hopefully they get it fixed this month.

What time was this? I was watching two different German streamers yesterday and they both had issues with their streams going offline.

patchday

just purchased on Steam. Huh the DLC price for Tekken 7 is a lot cheaper then Injustice 2 ultimate edition (which I didnt buy cause it seemed pricey). Granted didnt buy the season pass for T7 yet either but at that price point if I really dig the game I'm sure I will

downloading this game now. Will probably just hop right into the single player first and then hop online to get bodied

I like that all of the DLC stuff shows up in Treasure battle. It's neat seeing the gold stuff and Eliza get used, in a lot of games you don't see the DLC stuff mixed in with the regular content.

Tekken is very much about adjusting to the match ups. Maximillian plays Tekken better than I play Street Fighter. I respect his grasp of basic Tekken after a decade hiatus.

Yeah, I was just being snarky because lolAkuma, Max may not be one of the best, but his basics are usually on point in most games.

AAK

just purchased on Steam. Huh the DLC price for Tekken 7 is a lot cheaper then Injustice 2 ultimate edition (which I didnt buy cause it seemed pricey). Granted didnt buy the season pass for T7 yet either but at that price point if I really dig the game I'm sure I will

Injustice DLC is 9 characters. Tekken's DLC is 2 characters + Tekken Bowl mode.

Skilletor

Made it to...Fighter rank?

Character unfamiliarity is killing me now. I don't feel like I'm being outplayed, just that I hav e no idea what people are doing, lol.

Any tips on how to get more familiar with the cast?

AAK

Character unfamiliarity is killing me now. I don't feel like I'm being outplayed, just that I hav e no idea what people are doing, lol.

There's no silver bullet in Tekken. You have to do your research on the properties of the moves you're losing to and figure out the weaknesses. But T7 doesn't save your replays so I can admit it will be a bigger struggle compared to other fighting games.

You can start by telling us which character you were using and who your opponent was using and we work from there.

Skilletor

There's no silver bullet in Tekken. You have to do your research on the properties of the moves you're losing to and figure out the weaknesses. But T7 doesn't save your replays so I can admit it will be a bigger struggle compared to other fighting games.

You can start by telling us which character you were using and who your opponent was using and we work from there.

I'll start recording my matches.

This morning it was Steve and Leo. Just no idea what they're doing.

I guess I'll start going through other people's movelists.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Just practice and research. If you find one move is destroying you, take it into practice mode and see what you can do about it.

AAK

I'll start recording my matches.

This morning it was Steve and Leo. Just no idea what they're doing.

I guess I'll start going through other people's movelists.

Steve is a pretty complex character but his major gameplan is to bait you into a counter hit since his launchers are super slow. The biggest weapon is his b+1, which is a high left hook that is a deadly counter hit launcher. Because it's high, when in doubt dick punch.

Other things to know is his stances: Flicker (FLK) and Peak-a-Boo (PAB).

FLK stance only leads to mids and highs so is meant to bait you into counterhits or set you up for something after the sequence rather than break your defense. PAB stance is one that has some dangerous strings that can break your defense with various high-low mixups and other launchers. Various moves off PAB are unsafe and can be punished so if you succeed in defending you will be rewarded.

Things get seriously convoluted when you factor in the fact that Steve and sway or duck at any point from both FLK and PAB that can usually do pretty well in evading quick pokes you may use to try and keep Steve honest. But at least everything out of sway is mid so you don't have to worry about a mixup and you get your turn again after their move. However if the Steve player calls you out on your defensive play, then can transition the sway into extended duck which leads to unblockables and heavy frame disadvantage situations. Learning the Steve matchup is indeed challenging and it comes with practice & experience. I too had to lose 100's of matches against him before gaining some confidence in fighting him.

As for Leo, the KNK stance is the ultimate beginner killer. Most Leo players will get into that stance by doing b+1,4 which is the shoulder into a knee that leads into the KNK stance. Common logic for 3D fighters say that when a character does a mid,mid string on you it should be either unsafe or at least your turn to attack. But in Leo's case she's actually +8 after that, so if you retaliate with any conventional poke you'll get counter hit. But this is where frame data and character knowledge plays a big role. She has 2 high follow ups that are both ~15 frames which will counter hit any retaliation, a low that's ~20 frames, and a mid launcher that's also ~20 frames. So going by that information, you should be able to decipher that a high crushing move that's 11 frames or faster should be able to beat out 3 of Leo's options from BOK stance. Hence, a dick punch which is 10 frames will beat 3 of those options each time consistently. You just have to watch out for the mid launcher but that's not something most Leo players will just throw out since it's punishable compared to the other moves.

That's just one tool Leo has, there are other things about the Leo matchup to consider but they at least follow the conventional ruleset applied to 3D fighting games.

If you have good reactions and your character has a strong Backswing-blow like Devil Jin's b+3, Bob's b,f+1, Law's b+3+4(?) then you can input the backswing blow in between the b+1,4 and you'll dodge the knee and get a guaranteed punish on Leo every time. Yeah, I too was terrorized by this move for a very long time (entirety of Tekken 6) until figuring it out.

patchday

oh wow didnt know that. ouch...

Skilletor

Steve is a pretty complex character but his major gameplan is to bait you into a counter hit since his launchers are super slow. The biggest weapon is his b+1, which is a high left hook that is a deadly counter hit launcher. Because it's high, when in doubt dick punch.

Other things to know is his stances: Flicker (FLK) and Peak-a-Boo (PAB).

FLK stance only leads to mids and highs so is meant to bait you into counterhits or set you up for something after the sequence rather than break your defense. PAB stance is one that has some dangerous strings that can break your defense with various high-low mixups and other launchers. Various moves off PAB are unsafe and can be punished so if you succeed in defending you will be rewarded.

Things get seriously convoluted when you factor in the fact that Steve and sway or duck at any point from both FLK and PAB that can usually do pretty well in evading quick pokes you may use to try and keep Steve honest. But at least everything out of sway is mid so you don't have to worry about a mixup and you get your turn again after their move. However if the Steve player calls you out on your defensive play, then can transition the sway into extended duck which leads to unblockables and heavy frame disadvantage situations. Learning the Steve matchup is indeed challenging and it comes with practice & experience. I too had to lose 100's of matches against him before gaining some confidence in fighting him.

As for Leo, the KNK stance is the ultimate beginner killer. Most Leo players will get into that stance by doing b+1,4 which is the shoulder into a knee that leads into the KNK stance. Common logic for 3D fighters say that when a character does a mid,mid string on you it should be either unsafe or at least your turn to attack. But in Leo's case she's actually +8 after that, so if you retaliate with any conventional poke you'll get counter hit. But this is where frame data and character knowledge plays a big role. She has 2 high follow ups that are both ~15 frames which will counter hit any retaliation, a low that's ~20 frames, and a mid launcher that's also ~20 frames. So going by that information, you should be able to decipher that a high crushing move that's 11 frames or faster should be able to beat out 3 of Leo's options from BOK stance. Hence, a dick punch which is 10 frames will beat 3 of those options each time consistently. You just have to watch out for the mid launcher but that's not something most Leo players will just throw out since it's punishable compared to the other moves.

That's just one tool Leo has, there are other things about the Leo matchup to consider but they at least follow the conventional ruleset applied to 3D fighting games.

If you have good reactions and your character has a strong Backswing-blow like Devil Jin's b+3, Bob's b,f+1, Law's b+3+4(?) then you can input the backswing blow in between the b+1,4 and you'll dodge the knee and get a guaranteed punish on Leo every time. Yeah, I too was terrorized by this move for a very long time (entirety of Tekken 6) until figuring it out.

Awesome. Thank you. :)

I haven't played Tekken seriously since 5, so a lot of stuff is new to me.

Yes best and easiest tip to get up to speed quickly. Spend about 5-10 mins each character.

Just go through the computer demonstrated move list. If something looks REALLY good to you, stop and try the move yourself.

However, if you JUST looking for character familiarity for defense. All I do if go to the chartacter and find their "knock down lows" As poke lows are minor and I dont worry about those 90% of the time. The only low's that "Open you up" are the knock down lows, because they lead to follow-up damage.

Good thing is knock-down-lows usually have longer start up, if you paying attention you can block almost all the knock down lows by seeing the animation.

As you know when you play a REALLY GOOD PLAYER they will block almost 100% of all your knock-down-lows.

Good playes that look for richer/better situations to set-up their knock-down-lows. For example really good players will set-up knock down lows when they see you/expect you to do a high, then they counter with a low move that crushes high. Or they will do a good sidestep, and then the knock-down-low is a better option then.

It just depends. Sorry i went off on a tanget, here lets keep it simple:

Go look at each characters "knock-down-low" and that's all you need. Becuase everything else is timing/positioning and you can block everything else just be standing up.

GrayFoxPL

Don't play guy called Madoc-Miller in EU, he shows up as 4 bars then fires up lagswitch and turns the game into unplayable 1bar slideshow. Of course he uses Eddy. Shame these kind of ppl still play online.

Danielsan

I'm pretty much stuck at Grand Master / Brawler with my Asuka, I get the sense that in order to progress I need to start digging into frame data and start working on movement / Korean backdash cancelling, Not sure if I'm willing to / able to jump that hurdle. I suspect it takes a lot of practice to get consistent backdash cancelling down. Still loving the game, but now feeling intimidated by the need to up my skill level.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Leo can then take it to the next level and just do b+1 on its own, which is -12 on block, but nobody punishes because of the followup. Most backswing blows are mad punishable on block too.

He can also crouchdash cancel out of the KNK stance and done fast enough is slightly plus on block.

Yes, Tekken is so deep that just ONE move from one character has its own meta.

I'm pretty much stuck at Grand Master / Brawler with my Asuka, I get the sense that in order to progress I need to start digging into frame data and start working on movement / Korean backdash cancelling, Not sure if I'm willing to / able to jump that hurdle. I suspect it takes a lot of practice to get consistent backdash cancelling down. Still loving the game, but now feeling intimidated by the need to up my skill level.

I'm stuck in the same spot. Got promoted to Brawler 3 times and can't seem to break past that. Probably going to start playing every character on the roster a bit, see what they're good at and what stops it. I feel like that would be a better use of time for me than learning backdash cancelling.

I'm stuck in the same spot. Got promoted to Brawler 3 times and can't seem to break past that. Probably going to start playing every character on the roster a bit, see what they're good at and what stops it. I feel like that would be a better use of time for me than learning backdash cancelling.

Learning a universal tool is almost always more useful in the long run and would do more for your game than learning individual characters

Cyanity

Banned
I tried opening the ports on my router for both SFV and T7 (almost same Ports for both) and i can see a huge improvement in match making time for both. Made to blue ranks finally, hopefully the online remains this good :).

Which ports does Tekken 7 use?

How can I edit Akuma's skin colour? Can't seem to find the option within Character Customization.

Keep hitting RB on the customization menu

GrayFoxPL

Frame data yes, korean backdash won't help you without basic frame data. You don't need korean backdashing at this level. Decent combos and setups.

Use f+2 db cancel to mess people up, you can go from that into FC df+2 or df,d,df+1+2, ws+1,4 does solid damage ws+1+2 is only -2 on block and can be canceled. Use 1,3 and 1,2 and extensions. Mix up df+1,2 with df+1,4.

uf+3 is a very safe low crush on ch gives free combo starting from db+4,3

Use ff+2,3 and b+2 strings, use 1, 1, 3 because everyone expects the sweep.

Avoid stuff like db+4,4,4 series, she doesn't have mid option from that, it's easy to duck highs and block lows from that best thing you can do is hold D to recover crouching and trying ws moves.

Use 1+4,2,4 option more then 1+4,2,d+4, first one is mid and safe though barely, the second is low and launcher but is also -23.

Just some basic stuff.

There is seriously something wrong.

I can barely stay at Mentor with Asuka. She's the only character I know that I can really play and maximize her damage output.

But then I play my shitty ass Akuma and manage to reach Grand Masters by just doing his Tatsu xx DP and then sweep. and zone with his fireball.

I can barely stay at Mentor with Asuka. She's the only character I know that I can really play and maximize her damage output.

But then I play my shitty ass Akuma and manage to reach Grand Masters by just doing his Tatsu xx DP and then sweep. and zone with his fireball.

I think a lot of players are just free to gimmicky shit at lower levels. I'm sort of in the same boat with Asuka and I try to play an "honest" game of Tekken but I'm by no means great so I probably won't really advance in ranks much for a while. I'm not interested in picking a gimmicky bullshit character just to gain some cheap ranks though, like what is even the point? You don't get anything worthwhile for it.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I tried opening the ports on my router for both SFV and T7 (almost same Ports for both) and i can see a huge improvement in match making time for both. Made to blue ranks finally, hopefully the online remains this good :).

Which port did you open? I have problem connecting matches in my PC too.

Don't play guy called Madoc-Miller in EU, he shows up as 4 bars then fires up lagswitch and turns the game into unplayable 1bar slideshow. Of course he uses Eddy. Shame these kind of ppl still play online.
The Ownmaster 5000???

The latest model is out huh?

OMG-WHAT.gif

Ame

Is there an ETA on the next patch for PS4? First patch got released pretty quick. I'm assuming this is taking longer because they are planning to fix multiple problems.

Skilletor

Akuma isn't a Tekken character. You have to worry about different shit fighting him. People probably aren't used to it.

I think a lot of players are just free to gimmicky shit at lower levels. I'm sort of in the same boat with Asuka and I try to play an "honest" game of Tekken but I'm by no means great so I probably won't really advance in ranks much for a while. I'm not interested in picking a gimmicky bullshit character just to gain some cheap ranks though, like what is even the point? You don't get anything worthwhile for it.

^^^^This

And gimmicks / Parlor-Tricks will only get you so far, and its surprising how far you can get sometimes with a good gimmick in Tekken. But you WILL hit that wall of good players, that gimmicks wont work. It going to take honest Tekken play and player-ability to get any higher.

Skilletor

So I picked up Korean Bob to help my friend learn the character. I found out that I can wavedash on the right side but suck ass on the left. My backdashing suffers from being on the right but I can still sort of bootleg it, so I guess overall my right side Hwoarang is better.

Also Just frame Skyrocket basically is electrics but more awkward to do, because it is f n d/f 4. It does feel like it comes out more in RFF (and people say that in older games) but learning it from both feet forward seems crucial.

I love that you call him Korean bob.

I miss when he was just bob. Lol

Top Bottom