• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: "more to be announced" for Switch 2017 lineup

spekkeh

Banned
Really really doubt he's talking about first party.

What I took away from that though is that it is no longer "Nintendo rep 3", but Reggie himself who confirms Metroid Prime 4 for 2018.

Indie games I'm sure. They have SO much coming this year it's not even funny, I can't believe people are suggesting that they don't have big releases with Mario, Xenoblade, Pokemon, Fire Emblem Warriors and Zelda DLC. It would be pretty unwise to put any other big first party releases before Christmas.

Mother 3 and Metroid and Ultra Sun and Moon. What a year for 3DS

LOL imagine if Mother 3 was 3DS only. That would be the most Nintendo thing ever.

Unison

Yeah it's gonna be more indies, which I'm totally down for.

Yeah, there was so little Switch indie news at E3... I definitely expect more.

Third party support was light as well, but I doubt that that's what Reggie is referring to fixing.

It's not insane to expect some sort of VC announcement some day either.

TS-08

I didn't read the bolded as 2017. Sounds like they have more content in the works.

There's really no other reasonable way to interpret it within the context of the preceding sentences, but obviously people are prone to say things in a way that doesnt take such context into consideration when they are speaking off the cuff.

Not sure why everyone wants a port of Smash- that game came out nearly three years ago, so I'd rather Nintendo just developed a new game and released it at Christmas 2018 or something.

ksamedi

With the production issues they are facing in the first year, I really dont expect another big IP like Animal Crossing. Something like Smash DX would be perfect.

Rodin

Well, it could be Smash, it's the perfect game to release in late november. Not only it would come out just in time for the holidays, but it's also what you want to release if you want to give people a good reason to pay for online in 2018, after they try it for free.

Nanashrew

Banned
fuck mother 3, where is animal crossing

You don't even have to worry about Animal Crossing. The mobile and console title are meant to communicate iirc, so once the mobile version is released (which is scheduled for the end of this year), the home console version is likely around the corner. Heck, I could even see it getting announced around the time the mobile version releases.

Now.

Where's Mother 3, Reggie!

wildfire

Banned
Everyone keeps forgetting.

SNES Classic. November.

Calling it now!

The Mother 3-stans came out in full force. This thread would've been totally different if the OP posted sometime when the group wasn't having their weekly how I survived without Mother 3 meetings.

Smash is probably not happening in 2017, not when there's already ARMS and Pokken DX within three months from each other. I maintain they're going to hold onto Smash until whenever they're ready to launch the paid online program.

With regards to November, remember that Skyrim is actually Nintendo-published. I think they're going to push that pretty hard. Plus BOTW DLC is coming, US/UM on 3DS, Odyssey isn't going to stop selling when Black Friday comes around, and the SNES classic. Probably going to get the first major NA Switch bundle then too. I think it's actually smart of them to get Odyssey out of the way in October, since they can easily have a fruitful November for them as a whole, even if it launches early.

Finally Reggie also mentions Mario + Rabbids, which isn't a game they're publishing. That does suggest to me that he's including partnerships/indies/third-parties in the equation here.

This is how I see it. But I also year think any remasters for this year would have been announced.

Agreed with you on both counts! I expect an eShop game or two is possible at any time. I guess I will say I don't expect any remasters this year because I'd expect those to be retail and I don't think there will be any more retail first party games beyond what's been announced - and depending on what it's a remaster of it may distract from current new titles at this point (like a Skyward remaster for example).

(Of course I'd be thrilled to be wrong and see more remasters. But I'm not even convinced we'll have VC by the end of the year. Though, maybe VC is exactly what he means... Whichever form it comes in.

True. Good points to consider regarding scheduling and what other IPs they could pull out, and from what systems.

This year we've had two Wii U ports on Switch (Mario Kart and Pokken), and one on 3DS (Yoshi). Hyrule Warriors and Mario Maker came last year. Personally I wonder if they might hold off on a fifth Wii U port this year to avoid the stigma it might attract. Console-wise that'd really leave GameCube and Wii as the main options. But then GameCube VC might also be a thing...

Yeah, good point. At most I could see one more remaster but now that I think of it, this year is starting to look pretty tight for where one would fit in. I mean, two that immediately come to mind are Xenoblade and Metroid Prime Trilogy. The former would be a good choice but 2 is pretty much unrelated so it's not something dying to be done right away. Metroid Prime Trilogy could be a great way to prepare people for 4, but again the schedule's getting tight and even though Samus Returns is on 3DS, they might not want to distract too much from it.

DCpQC4PXgAUp8Mi.jpg

53488fd89809789a1a64c17426aa3aca.jpg

DCuelveUAAAPblE.jpg:large

It sounds like he's talking about games in general, which means likely indies and third parties. I still think Skyrim is being positioned as the big black Friday game as an effort to appeal to third parties (and with plenty more Nintendo/amiibo content than we've seen so far) but it's certainly possible they have another small first party title or two to announce.

Also...

Not taking it as a confirmation or anything since it's probably just misspeaking against the company line, but the wording makes it sound like he's calling MP4 and Pokemon for 2018.

Obviously not confirmation but I noticed that same thing. I really think everyone at Nintendo is treating those as 2018 games in their heads, which certainly suggests they've been in the works long enough to realistically make it then.

Top Bottom