• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Was it
particle effects
? I thought the trick was to
follow the animals
. That's how I did it anyway. Is there more than one way to navigate
Lost Woods
, then?

I don't know if there's more than one way, but the
particle effectsfrom a lit torch and the ambient particle effects guide you to go in the exact direction

At first, I thought it would be following the direction of which way the tree branches were pointing.

CassSept

Was it
particle effects
? I thought the trick was to
follow the animals
. That's how I did it anyway. Is there more than one way to navigate
Lost Woods
, then?

Wow really, I didn't know you can do that.

The other way to do it
is lighting a torch and following the wind, it's always blowing in the direction of Korok Forest

Wow really, I didn't know you can do that.

The other way to do it
is lighting a torch and following the wind, it's always blowing in the direction of Korok Forest

I feel like this is the proper solution. There's a torch sitting there for you at the entrance. Man that was legit the best moment in the game for me, hands down.

Laekon

Got a switch and BotW 2 days ago and just got to the second town the main quest sends you to with 9 shrines done. I'm dying a lot more then I thought I would. Some times from mobs 1 hitting me like the green goblins with a garden hoe. Other times it's my own stupidity like not knowing the blast radius of the bombs. I got a ton of questions but the main one is hearts vs stamina. Should you go back and forth on upgrading them or is stamina the way to go?

Got a switch and BotW 2 days ago and just got to the second town the main quest sends you to with 9 shrines done. I'm dying a lot more then I thought I would. Some times from mobs 1 hitting me like the green goblins with a garden hoe. Other times it's my own stupidity like not knowing the blast radius of the bombs. I got a ton of questions but the main one is hearts vs stamina. Should you go back and forth on upgrading them or is stamina the way to go?

Personally, I went with stamina only. Still on 3 hearts after 30+ hours.
There's food you can make out of certain ingredients that'll buff your hearts up when you need extra health. That's been my go to strategy thus far into the game.

You can use stamina food as well.

True, but I find having stamina that regenerates more useful because I'm always using stamina for sprinting, climbing and gliding.

Firenze1

Banned
Personally, I went with stamina only. Still on 3 hearts after 30+ hours.
There's food you can make out of certain ingredients that'll buff your hearts up when you need extra health. That's been my go to strategy thus far into the game.
You can use stamina food as well.

I found 118 shrines so far. Where are the last 2

Afrodium

Banned
About how long does Hyrule Castle take to beat? I'm at the point where I'm ready to beat the game but would like to do it in one sitting and I've got limited time this week. 1 hour? 2?

About how long does Hyrule Castle take to beat? I'm at the point where I'm ready to beat the game but would like to do it in one sitting and I've got limited time this week. 1 hour? 2?
Depends how thorough you want to be. 2-3 hours max but it can be done much quicker.

Barrett2

Dumb question. after I finish the game and get through credits can I continue playing or can I only start a new game +?

I was under impression after beating Ganon I could continue progressing through side quests etc

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dumb question. after I finish the game and get through credits can I continue playing or can I only start a new game +?

I was under impression after beating Ganon I could continue progressing through side quests etc

You keep playing. There is no newgame+.

After you beat Ganon the game just resets to a pre-boss fight auto-save, though the save will have a "completed" flag denoted by a star next to the save. There is no new game +, nor a true "post-game" state.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
After credits roll the only option to keep playing is to load my save from right outside Canon's lair before the final battle. Does it not let you keep playing after beating him?

It brings you out to a save right before you went into Ganon's lair.

Smellycat

BTW

I think it is safe to assume that the DLC will introduce AT LEAST 8 shrines, right?

You can't max out your hearts if you have already maxed out the stamina meter. You will end up with 3 empty heart spots.

DLC dungeon boss reward + 4 shrines + 4 shrines = 3 hearts

BTW

I think it is safe to assume that the DLC will introduce AT LEAST 8 shrines, right?

You can't max out your hearts if you have already maxed out the stamina meter. You will end up with 3 empty heart spots.

DLC dungeon boss reward + 4 shrines + 4 shrines = 3 hearts

If they introduce a full heart container as a dungeon reward, players with 30 hearts already would then have 31. I think the dungeon will have a unique reward, and then we'll get 12 shrines (or perhaps more likely, something functionally similar to shrines, but overall unique to the DLC).

I always thought it was a tad coincidental that an exact 10% increase in shrines would net you max hearts and stamina.

watershed

Banned
So the full ending kind of strongly hints at new areas in the DLC as a possible expansion doesn't it?
Does it? Iirc all Zelda says is that the water divine beast is malfunctioning and that she wants to talk to the Zora King to ease his mind about his daughter's death or something like that. I don't remember her talking about unexplored land.

I beat the game early on and then for the past week without even thinking went from 60 to 95 hours played. 35 hours of just running around adventuring it was glorious.

Laekon

Is it worth buying armor or should I just wait? I'm only 9 or 10 shrines in and the only armor I have found is from the old man at the beginning. Money is tight as I don't know what I can/should sell. Food is the main thing I've sold so far as I'm not sure if I'm going to need gems later on.

I've tamed a horse with 1 strength and got no idea what that stat means. It has 3 speed and looks really cool though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is it worth buying armor or should I just wait? I'm only 9 or 10 shrines in and the only armor I have found is from the old man at the beginning. Money is tight as I don't know what I can/should sell. Food is the main thing I've sold so far as I'm not sure if I'm going to need gems later on.

I've tamed a horse with 1 strength and got no idea what that stat means. It has 3 speed and looks really cool though.

You don't really need gems and you can farm them later on, feel free to sell them. Also, buy some armor.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You need gems later on.
they are used to upgrade some armor sets.

Which? I hoarded gems and don't recall needing them in any real numbers for anything useful.

I did regret buying all the enemy pictures. Would have helped prolong the game if I went on a photo safari of enemies. All it did was make me go 'yep that's some photos'

Tripon

Which? I hoarded gems and don't recall needing them in any real numbers for anything useful.

I did regret buying all the enemy pictures. Would have helped prolong the game if I went on a photo safari of enemies. All it did was make me go 'yep that's some photos'
All of them. The game does a really good job of having multiple uses for everything.

So yeah, how 'bout your first Blood Moon?

I managed to avoid hearing about it since I stayed away from a lot of media beforehand.

I was just leaving the Dueling Peaks Stable for mine. I saw the ashes start to rise, I heard the music change, then I saw the moon. Then miasma started shooting out of the earth. Holy fuck. I fucking ran back to the stable and hid next to the innkeeper, I literally thought Ganon was coming to get me. XD

Burny

Effectively skipping the tower by gliding straight on to the top is good, but not exactly a puzzle.

Which is good in my book. Imo the classical overworld puzzles in Zelda have overstayed their welcome for some 10 years and the serie's better off having gotten rif of it:

"Yeah, there's this strangely glowing blue block and the green goo mass invariably blocking access to the place you want to be. Why not use your asinine puzzle trigger items of telekinesis-on-strangely-glowing-blue-blocks and your magic vacuum of green-goo-removal. But not unless you've completed the dungeon providing you with those magical items that are the only means in the whole world of Hyrule of overcoming these obstacles."

I've said it in another thread, but on the most abstract level, "puzzles" in Zelda amount to this:

Child's play said:
hamleys-wooden-shape-puzzle-78261-0-1413807520000.jpg

The more specific and contrieved the puzzle items are, the more closely the puzzles resemble that child's toy above. And since OoT, MM and WW, items and puzzle abilities have tended to become more and more contrieved. The low points still being the train of spirit tracks and the gear (maybe also the wrecking ball) in Twilight Princess for me.

Personally, being presented with a tower which has a base covered in thorns, which can be burned, avoided by reaching another high place and gliding onto the tower, or by using an updraft to fly upwards, either created through that one ability of the game, or by making a fire in the environment, is quiet a bit more compelling. It gets rid of the pretentious puzzle rubbish ("but, but, but... you can't because we couldn't help ourselves and had to make it into a puzzle and you just have to use this one specifc item") and flows a lot more naturally. And it doesn't force them to build environments which are plain idiotic, just so your progress is really, really blocked until you've solve that one "puzzle". The forest path is blocked by a bunch of monsters? Get back, walk into the forest and exit it another way, not "mandatorily beat up all five monsters and stick green puzzle item here". That's what BotW introduces in terms of world to Zelda and in our playthrough, it's been really refreshing for me.

There's still room for a lot of environmental puzzles. But ones that aren't item gated for no good reason, other than the game's creators previously bein gunable to get over their early 90's formula. White bird puzzle in the mountains? No item gating whatsoever, but quiet a clever puzzle. Entering the lost woods? No item gating either, but still a compelling puzzle.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You need gems later on.
they are used to upgrade some armor sets.

I know, but it's pretty easy to farm gems so it's not like you're going to lose out by selling them for cash early in the game. Plus you can
literally buy them later on and by that point you'll have unlocked easy ways to get money.

GRW810

Completed my 100th shrine. For all the problems of finding shrines tucked away in Hebra, this one was just out in the open.

I've still got a few shrines marked on my map and two shrine quests so I think I'll reach 110 naturally. Then it will be a case of tracking down the other ten.

Up to 265 Koroks as well. I love discovering those guys. While some people reporting finding only a handful in their entire playthrough I seem to stumble upon at least half a dozen every hour or so I play. I've started using stasis every now and then while wandering to easily identify anything noteworthy, like things to shoot in trees or small rocks.

I aimed to have 300-450 by the time I took on Ganon so I'm well on track.

sazzy

Does it? It's been nearly a month since I've seen it but I don't recall that.

Does it? Iirc all Zelda says is that the water divine beast is malfunctioning and that she wants to talk to the Zora King to ease his mind about his daughter's death or something like that. I don't remember her talking about unexplored land.

Near the end she says something along the lines of:

we have a lot of work to... to fix Hyrule..
and beyond.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

asariN7

Found a wiiu in my country for 100€.Could not resist not buying it for this gem.
Playing both Persona and Zelda at the same time feels like heaven.
What a time to be a gamer.

JoeNut

is there actually anything in the north west region? it seems to be just snow for miles and miles, ive found 2 shrines, but is there a stable/village and a tower i presume?

GRW810

Ya I am exploring this region now. I am almost done but it has taken me forever.

Are the minigames
bowling
and
snow surfing
?
There's a
flight
mini game as well isn't there? Although when I stumbled upon it there was no one there.

Nictel

So I found the shrine with the white bird quest.
But I
just flew in the north west region until I found it. What was the white bird about?

I am missing 5 shrine quests including the much talked about blood moon one. Wonder where they are.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So I found the shrine with the white bird quest.
But I
just flew in the north west region until I found it. What was the white bird about?

I am missing 5 shrine quests including the much talked about blood moon one. Wonder where they are.
If you glide from the top of the tree in that direction the land formation looks like a bird with its wings spread out.

Zero²

So I finished Vah Rudania, and did some Eldin exploring, but now I think I'll go back to the Zora region to explore some more over there. You guys think it's a good idea or I should visit all the regions first an then start revisiting them?

Which is good in my book. Imo the classical overworld puzzles in Zelda have overstayed their welcome for some 10 years and the serie's better off having gotten rif of it:

"Yeah, there's this strangely glowing blue block and the green goo mass invariably blocking access to the place you want to be. Why not use your asinine puzzle trigger items of telekinesis-on-strangely-glowing-blue-blocks and your magic vacuum of green-goo-removal. But not unless you've completed the dungeon providing you with those magical items that are the only means in the whole world of Hyrule of overcoming these obstacles."

I've said it in another thread, but on the most abstract level, "puzzles" in Zelda amount to this:

The more specific and contrieved the puzzle items are, the more closely the puzzles resemble that child's toy above. And since OoT, MM and WW, items and puzzle abilities have tended to become more and more contrieved. The low points still being the train of spirit tracks and the gear (maybe also the wrecking ball) in Twilight Princess for me.

Personally, being presented with a tower which has a base covered in thorns, which can be burned, avoided by reaching another high place and gliding onto the tower, or by using an updraft to fly upwards, either created through that one ability of the game, or by making a fire in the environment, is quiet a bit more compelling. It gets rid of the pretentious puzzle rubbish ("but, but, but... you can't because we couldn't help ourselves and had to make it into a puzzle and you just have to use this one specifc item") and flows a lot more naturally. And it doesn't force them to build environments which are plain idiotic, just so your progress is really, really blocked until you've solve that one "puzzle". The forest path is blocked by a bunch of monsters? Get back, walk into the forest and exit it another way, not "mandatorily beat up all five monsters and stick green puzzle item here". That's what BotW introduces in terms of world to Zelda and in our playthrough, it's been really refreshing for me.

There's still room for a lot of environmental puzzles. But ones that aren't item gated for no good reason, other than the game's creators previously bein gunable to get over their early 90's formula. White bird puzzle in the mountains? No item gating whatsoever, but quiet a clever puzzle. Entering the lost woods? No item gating either, but still a compelling puzzle.

I feel you, and I'm not wanting puzzles that are item gated. The shrines cover that already.
What I would've liked to see is Nintendo leverage their physics and world into puzzles for the towers like they did for other areas in the game. Not every tower, mind. Simplicity can be a good thing too.

That said, imagine having a tower that you had to use arrows to shoot down physics platforms to make climbing it possible, alternatively if you've got enough stamina then you could bruteforce your way up without them, glide to it from somewhere higher up.
Or a tower covered in bramble turning it into a maze to climb. Something that'd make climbing it more than just holding the left stick up.

There's just so many things in BotW already that could've been leveraged into small puzzles like that, it seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Okay, I'm a bit upset right now. I did all the remaining shrines with help from a guide a couple of days ago. After I finished the last shrine, my loading screen counter still said 118. I thought the guide was incomplete and triedthis interactive map today, carefully comparing every shrine and marking it on the interactive map but still no dice. I'm about 99% sure that I've got all of the shrines. My loading screen counter still says 118 though and
the outfit quest hasn't triggered yet

Anything that can be done at this point?

Chinbo37

There's a
flight
mini game as well isn't there? Although when I stumbled upon it there was no one there.

Technically this one isn't hebra. I know cause I have the hebra map and not the next one and this is just off the edge into the next area.

Nictel

Okay, I'm a bit upset right now. I did all the remaining shrines with help from a guide a couple of days ago. After I finished the last shrine, my loading screen counter still said 118. I thought the guide was incomplete and triedthis interactive map today, carefully comparing every shrine and marking it on the interactive map but still no dice. I'm about 99% sure that I've got all of the shrines. My loading screen counter still says 118 though and
the outfit quest hasn't triggered yet

Anything that can be done at this point?

How many orbs do you have left? Zero or two? If it is two then you are indeed missing two shrines.

Two. I just did another comparision and definitely have 120 and all of them are completed (otherwise they would be red/orange, right?).
If you've activated the shrine but not completed it, the outer edges of the icon will be blue, and the inner shape will be orange. It can be hard to spot the difference without looking closely, especially on a smaller screen or at a distance.

Nictel

Two. I just did another comparision and definitely have 120 and all of them are completed (otherwise they would be red/orange, right?).

If uncompleted (visited but not gotten the orb) they would have a blue outline but the middle part would be orange. It is not that easy to see. Very big chance you have two shrines left where you did not get the orb.

Top Bottom