• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

oti

Banned
Me after installing this.
I-Have-No-Idea-What-Im-Doing-8.jpg

Sohaim

its sad that this kind of thing is my only chance of playing Valkyrie Profile and Crisis Core on the PS Vita, god dammit SE.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is pretty good timing. The Vita is on its way out (queue jokes about how the Vita has been dead for years :p But games are still coming out for it almost every week), and if piracy gets a reality in maybe some months, it wont be such a big deal.

I'm debating if i should get another Vita for this. I usually dont bother that much with emulation, but i will see.

Tarnpanzer

So you don´t need a special game/app from the store to run this exploit?

Just update to 3.60 and keep that Firmware and you are save?

spons

Gold Member
So you don´t need a special game/app from the store to run this exploit?

Just update to 3.60 and keep that Firmware and you are save?

You don't need anything, just browse to their website and it'll install (for me at least after 20 tries or so).

data

3.60 is the latest vita firmware right?
If I wanna go back to a legit firmware later on, is that possible?

Anybody else getting error loading cartridge on GenesisPlusGX? I'm using the exact same Genesis and SMS roms I use with the Wii version of it. Woke up early for this too.

What folders do you put the .vpk files in? What folders do the ROMS files go into?

I cannot confirm yet, but reading the HENkaku page:
Installing Homebrew

1. The homebrew package you wish to install should be a file with the .vpk extension.
  2. Make sure Wifi is enabled and you are connected to the same network as the host computer.
  3. Open “shell” by launching the bubble.
  4. Press SELECT to start a FTP server. Please note that the FTP server is not password protected. Only run it on a trusted local network.
  5. Note the IP address displayed in a message popup.
  6. Open your FTP client on the host computer and connect to that IP address.
  7. Navigate to “ux0” (this is the root of your memory card) and you can upload the .vpk package here or in any subdirectory.
  8. Once you upload all the packages you wish to install you can disconnect the client.
  9. Back in molecularShell, press CIRCLE to stop the FTP server.
  10. Navigate to “ux0:” and then to where you placed the packages. To install, select the package and press X.

I am guessing you can probably navigate within the emulators to anywhere accessible, though it may even make its own folders for roms, saves, etc. the first time you run it.

Chesskid1

Banned
3.60 is the latest vita firmware right?
If I wanna go back to a legit firmware later on, is that possible?

3.60 is the latest, yes, and updating later will be no problem.

What folders do you put the .vpk files in? What folders do the ROMS files go into?

ux0 is the memory card, so anywhere in there is fine. you can make a folder to if you want with triangle. haven't used any emulators but i imagine they have file browsers.

Do I have to visit a website to turn this on every time?

only if you reboot your vita.

Tarnpanzer

Got a second Vita with the VHBL-Exploit. I guess there is no reason to keep it and update to 3.60?

Are the native Vita emulators better than the PSP ones I use through VHBL?

Can this hack run PS1 and PSP games?

Chesskid1

Banned
Got a second Vita with the VHBL-Exploit. I guess there is no reason to keep it and update to 3.60?

Are the native Vita emulators better than the PSP ones I use through VHBL?

it's going to take a bit for everything to be converted to HENKaku and optimized. no reason to update until HENKaku surpasses VHBL which will surely happen. it doesn't even have PSP/PS1 support yet.

spons

Gold Member
Eh... yourself. This is native which means someone will eventually create a way to CFW the system.

Isn't this as "CFW" as we can get without an actual kernel exploit? This uses a browser/WebKit exploit to install packages. Rejuvenate didn't result in CFW either.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Obviously everything still need to be optimized but i was wondering how well those emulators run, while we are at it why don't you post some screens? :)

people are gonna bitch and that blows my mind because this is the best thing for the vita scene EVER

CFWs ruined the PS3 for everyone that liked online play - cheating online was a huge issue. I don't know much about online Vita games (do any exist?) but if there are any they're going to die.

Otherwise the biggest problem is piracy.

data

The FTP page won't load, I'm supposed to enter the the ftp:// blah blah on my browser / windows explorer right? it just loads endlessly

Shaneus

If anyone has a question here, please read through the main Henkaku page first before clicking "post". Several things asked here are mentioned on that page :)

For anyone who gets a browser error when first trying to run the exploit though, just power-cycle your device and then it should work. Worked with my PSTV.

Now to wait for all the whitelist patches/hacks!

I imagine progress for these emulators are going to be very fast. Can't wait for the RetroArch vpk

I sure hope so. RetroArch were pretty quick to get onto Rejuvenate, if I recall correctly, and judging by how people have ported the GBA/SNES emulators across within hours of this dropping, we may see .vpks in the next RetroArch Vita nightly.

Skyzard

Banned
What more can you want:

aFS0Ohv.jpg

Btw filezilla installed some dodgy stuff for me automatically (really fast countdown timer to cancel out - at least, I think that's what it was), downloaded it from the official website too. Check your software list sorted by date.

Can I patch FFT:WotL with the slowdown fix patch with this?

Not yet.

I sure hope so. RetroArch were pretty quick to get onto Rejuvenate, if I recall correctly, and judging by how people have ported the GBA/SNES emulators across within hours of this dropping, we may see .vpks in the next RetroArch Vita nightly.

Not just that, but the VPKs we have so far are from builds when rejuvenate launched and no one really bothered with that exploit due to how cumbersome it was. This is mind-numbingly easy, so I expect way faster adoption

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Isn't this as "CFW" as we can get without an actual kernel exploit? This uses a browser/WebKit exploit to install packages. Rejuvenate didn't result in CFW either.

This is the first "native" hack. Which means all someone has to do is figure out the jump from the browser into the actual OS. This isn't like Rejuvenate which was just a PSP sandbox exploit like the others IIRC.

This is the first "native" hack. Which means all someone has to do is figure out the jump from the browser into the actual OS. This isn't like Rejuvenate which was just a PSP sandbox exploit like the others IIRC.

Nah, Rejuvenate had full Vita userland access IIRC. It was just a fucking mess to use.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Correct. N64 Emulator here I come.

An N64 emulator that can run F-Zero Expansion Kit would be incredible. The Vita is such an awesome hardware, that is only limited by sales and games line-up, so this hack really is a fantastic thing. I just hope it does not have the effect of Danganronpa 3 not coming to Europe on PSV.

Top Bottom