• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst |OT| Made by creators, not a businessman

antibolo

Banned
Jury is still out on that one. When the end credits rolled, there was an odd distortion like there was a row of pixels skipped when the credits rolled down the screen. I wish I had a capture card because it's hard to describe.

It's probably just that particular sequence. Looking at the screenshots above, particularly those with diagonal girders in the background, I'm not seeing any irregularly shaped pixels due to shitty nearest neighbour scaling, which was very noticeable in BMZ (In handheld mode, at least. TV out looked better, probably because it was 1080p.)

nubbe

Looks better in motion than I expected.
Have infinite lives, get "retry" shaming. Makes bosses feel easy since you can figure them out quickly.

Weapon system is really dynamic

Tiamant

I'm new to this series and I'm not sure if this is more MM9 than Gunvolt or viceversa but so far I'm liking it. Just a question, I've beaten a couple of bosses and found some weapons but I don't know how to equip them or if I'm supposed to get a reward after compelting a level ala Megaman.

hiim_haz

Banned
So I've never played those other Gunvolt games, do I need to play those before playing this one? Also wasn't it rumoured that those games will come to the Switch as well at some point?

This looks really good and looks like it'll scratch that itch I have to play a Mega Man like game.

RedFox85

Game is very good, graphics are waaaaaaay better than mn9. If you like megaman buy this 9.99 is a steal!
Quick edit my only complaint is the "burst" combo is a bad idea, just doesn't flow well for me but beyond that the game is awesome.

RedFox85

Little confused on weapon creation with beck.. I crafted a fire shot with bouncy bullets but it didn't really seem to hurt the ice guy any more than regular buster.. is it supposed to work that way? Also it took me 8 try's to take cryo down, sweet jeebus this game has some tough fights!

This is awesome especially for the price. Also a bit confused about the customization but I guess it's meant for experimentation and adds an interesting depth to these kinds of games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm definitely getting this. Would be cool to get a physical release down the road, but I'll shell out on it for eShop on day 1.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
I don't get it... there's no weaknesses? Also, this suffers from the same problem MN9 had: bosses have huge move sets.

Davey Cakes

You guys gotta get this game. It's everything Mighty no 9 should have been + more! I watched a stream of it last night with Swillo playing and it was glorious. Custom beam allows for some really cool customizations and the levels and bosses are very entertaining.

I see this and I'm just like how the heck did the "inafking" screw this up?
The difference is that Might Gunvolt Burst is a modest project being developed for only two platforms with a specific goal in mind. It knows what it wants to be.

Mighty No. 9 was a bloated Kickstarter undertaking that went well beyond trying to be a "Mega Man-like" experience. It had a ton of extra baggage including the stretch goals, physical rewards, the need to develop for several platforms, and the ambition of Inafune to build a massive franchise.

This shit is a lot simpler if you're just trying to create a $10 downloadable game and nothing more.

EDarkness

I watched someone play this and I think I'm gonna jump in. There's something about that old school look that I really like about this. Seems pretty fun and that's another reason to get it. Hope I enjoy it.

RedFox85

Stages seem pretty well designed, still at odds with the "burst" mechanic though.. it's probably the one thing that mn9 did better, the dash finishing blow felt much better. Unlike mn9 however the burst mechanic is in no way crucial to gameplay, just score multiplier so it's not really a big deal.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Maaaan. I can't beat a single boss and I consider myself decent at MM games. What am I missing?

steveovig

Anyone know the different weaknesses for everyone? I'm still not even sure I'm using the power-ups properly either. Is there an extra animation or something if I hit a boss with a good power-up?

Been playing the first level (City) over and over, trying to get all the items (which I just did).

There's a Module called "Dowsing" that, when equipped, let's you know there's a secret somewhere by using rumble.

The first 3 items you get by beating the level 3 times. Then the other rewards are found during the level.

In terms of replay value, there are 30 challenges/achievement. Not only that, but you have items in each stage to collect and there are those stickers, too. I don't know how many stickers are in the game but just to give you an idea, the highest sticker number I have is #123. You seem to randomly find them when you kill an enemy.

Edit: Currently have 4 of the levels completed 100%. My playtime so far is just under 2 hours. Haven't touched the other character yet.

Maaaan. I can't beat a single boss and I consider myself decent at MM games. What am I missing?

Practice was what mainly worked for me. My issues with some of the stage gimmicks and bosses is that it doesn't seem like they sign post what is going on very well, leading me to a bit of trial and error (especially on bosses) to learn just what attacks do what, and how you can avoid them. Once I got that down I've managed to full combo/S rank the first four stages.

Also, give customisation a try - making your bullets bigger, using elemental attacks and equipping armor to bolster your defense work really well. I've got a pretty decent set up now for Beck. Also keep in mind the fruit you get works a bit like energy tanks so don't be afraid to use that especially in boss fights, makes things much easier.

I'd say this game is a solid 7/8 at the moment for me. My wanting to perfect stages means I replay the stages several times to get things down perfectly, I'd probably have finished the game once over by now otherwise! Getting down the boss patterns is something that takes a few attempts but pays off in the end when I do manage that perfect run.
The challenges are also a welcome inclusion, boosting replayability even further. Definitely worth getting to scratch that Mega Man itch, it looks pretty damn nice on the Switch as well (and the rumble feature for secrets is damn useful as well!)

javadoze

Bought this on a whim and yeah... I dunno how I feel.

On first blush, the game has some rather nice 8-bit aesthetics and a catchy soundtrack. But as I play more of it, the more I feel that the main mechanics: namely the customization system, the need to replay stages, and the Burst gimmick, start getting in the way of what should've been a simplistic run-and-gun platformer.

Oh man. This game is fantastic. If I had gotten this game for the $250 I threw into the Mighty No. 9 KickStarter I would have been totally happy.

IntiCreates is the best when they're left to their own devices.

flowsnake

So the different weapon types make a difference on bosses? The first boss I tried taking about 30 hits to kill is making me want to stop playing.

I guess saving up all my food for the bosses is the only way I can do it.

nubbe

I have no idea if the elements are working, but I beat all the bosses.
now it's just the final boss run

Elements should work against bosses - well, there's a challenge for clearing each boss battle using the element they are weak to so one would assume it should work... but I've been doing my run using mainly just the default buster so I've not touched on that yet.

However if you want to deal nice damage I found upping the bullet size to large, using the fire shot (not sure if others will work better?) and then enabling the option for bullets to break apart on impact. That deals out extra damage on enemies and especially bosses (just watch the health drain away!). Add in a nice defensive boost and it basically feels like your invincible (kinda breaks the game for me, good for S rank runs though!)

Almost done with the 9 initial stages, so far I think the Radio Tower (Mighty No 6) has the worst level design of the bunch. Far too many instant death points where a single mistake fucks you over. The boss fight has a pretty steep learning curve to it initially as well (but once you get him down its actually pretty fun). The highway (MN7) is my favourite stage/boss so far, nice and fast paced with a great boss waiting for you at the end of the stage.
MN2 is still the worst boss fight I've encountered so far, she's almost as bad as she was in Mighty No 9 (but not quite), why they kept that stupid freeze gimmick I'll never know, she can basically stand right on top of you and you can't do an awful lot about it...

So overall I'm loving the game bar a couple of issues with the initial learning curve on bosses/levels. Kinda hope this sees at least a limited physical release in Japan as I'd totally buy a physical copy to go with the rest of my Mega Man collection.

steveovig

The game becomes totally gimped if you use the
3.0x attack modifier
. I think I'm just giving up on trying to get everything and I'm just going to beat the game with Beck and start over with Gunvolt.

Anyone having issues with movement?

My joycon's control stick seems continually move right after I've put it back in the neutral position. It won't stop until I push left and return to neutral.

Before anyone says syncing issue, nah, this is the only game it's happening with. Any ideas?

nubbe

Homing missile with explosion is the go to weapon
just run and gun like it's ultra easy mode

But the I feel like the elemental option has too little impact on bosses, you don't notice it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I had no idea this game existed before tonight. Looks like its fun. Can you play with the button "d-pad" or do you have to use the analog stick when in handheld mode?

I had no idea this game existed before tonight. Looks like its fun. Can you play with the button "d-pad" or do you have to use the analog stick when in handheld mode?
I keep having character movement issues using the stick, so I've been using the face buttons for movement.

It works surprisingly well.

Just beat the game with Beck, along with getting all items on every stage. Took 4 hours and I'm at 93%. I'm assuming to reach 100% I need to S all levels?

Pretty fun game. Replay value is definitely there.

nubbe

Just beat the game with Beck, along with getting all items on every stage. Took 4 hours and I'm at 93%. I'm assuming to reach 100% I need to S all levels?

Pretty fun game. Replay value is definitely there.

speedrun and streaming is written all over this game
literally
so 1337

Is there a collectables guide out there? I'm a couple short on the early stages and I'm a bit stumped on how to get them. On Pyro's stage there is a power up that seemingly can only be reached via double jump (I'm playing as Beck), and on Mighty No 2's stage I'm completely missing one collectable that I can't find no matter how much I explore (and yes I did get the one hidden off the top of the screen!)

steveovig

Is there a collectables guide out there? I'm a couple short on the early stages and I'm a bit stumped on how to get them. On Pyro's stage there is a power up that seemingly can only be reached via double jump (I'm playing as Beck), and on Mighty No 2's stage I'm completely missing one collectable that I can't find no matter how much I explore (and yes I did get the one hidden off the top of the screen!)

For the double jump, try getting the
air dash feature
, if it's the collectable I think you're talking about.

For the double jump, try getting the
air dash feature
, if it's the collectable I think you're talking about.

Ah ok, that must be what I'm missing. I might well have got it already (got almost all the collectables) so I'll have a look, as that would certainly do the trick. Thanks!

Haunted

This is a totally competent, if not next-level retro Mega Man game.

I'm pleasantly surprised.

Anyone having issues with movement?

My joycon's control stick seems continually move right after I've put it back in the neutral position. It won't stop until I push left and return to neutral.

Before anyone says syncing issue, nah, this is the only game it's happening with. Any ideas?
Experienced this as well, the game just has no deadzone allowed for the sticks whatsoever. Bit of an oversight, but not a biggie.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Been playing the first level (City) over and over, trying to get all the items (which I just did).

There's a Module called "Dowsing" that, when equipped, let's you know there's a secret somewhere by using rumble.

The first 3 items you get by beating the level 3 times. Then the other rewards are found during the level.

In terms of replay value, there are 30 challenges/achievement. Not only that, but you have items in each stage to collect and there are those stickers, too. I don't know how many stickers are in the game but just to give you an idea, the highest sticker number I have is #123. You seem to randomly find them when you kill an enemy.

Edit: Currently have 4 of the levels completed 100%. My playtime so far is just under 2 hours. Haven't touched the other character yet.

So you have to clear EACH level 3 times to get all the clear rewards?

I just finished the first level, twice, and really enjoyed it. This is my kind of game. I'm going to make another save file and see what hte other character is like now.

kingbean

So this game has some pretty poor levels. It feels more like memorization than skill to do them well. The customizing the bullets so far has felt pretty meaningless and the bosses are only okay.
Coming off of how good master blaster zero is this game feels a little limp.

Brakke

Banned
Picked this up for a couple long flights today. It's... fine? Did three levels twice each. The weapon customization stuff seems mostly unnecessary but fun to play around with. It's straight criminal that equipping an element doesn't change your shot at all though. That system in general is hard to follow; I melted some ice blocks but that's the only time I know I got an interaction right so far. Probably I should beat the rest of the levels once each before going back for the CP boosts.

Also, I got incoming damage reduction and outgoing damage boost both pretty early. I have a loadout that makes bosses trivial, I can just tank the hits and light them up now. Forcing myself not to use it for now.

Playing as Gunvolt btw. Dunno if Mighty #9 guy is different.

It's charming and a fine diversion for $10. We'll see if it opens up at all.

BizzyBum

Anyone know if there is a boss weakness for the very first City level?

I hit it with every type of shot and each time it only lost 3 bars so I assume no? Just wanted to make sure. I wish weaknesses had a visual indicator...

Top Bottom