• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

Made it to boss 3 on veteran and used all 10 credits with no luck. I lost complete focus as soon as I was stripped of my abilities. I can easily see 1cc being a requirement on this mode. Not sure I'm ready for the frustration...

Wozman23

Made it to boss 3 on veteran and used all 10 credits with no luck. I lost complete focus as soon as I was stripped of my abilities. I can easily see 1cc being a requirement on this mode. Not sure I'm ready for the frustration...

For a few of my runs, I ended up dying on him, but sometimes ended up being able to beat him after a few continues and a bit of luck. It's not as impossible to recover from him if you keep your distance. Now, from the start of level 5 on, I feel like you have to avoid the continue screen completely.

I was around that point of frustration the last few days, but broke through by practicing in Single World mode.

My hands were shaking during the last boss, but I actually think it's much easier than the previous boss.

If I had to rank the bosses in order of difficulty:

4. Supreme AI (6)
Similar to boss 4, with a little more to account for. Still, the area between lines of bullets gives you a decent amount of space.

6. The Architect (5)
Phase 3 just throws everything at you in a small space. It's chaos. Between the fanning bullets, standard lasers, deadly purple laser, and the occassional enemies, you're pretty much guaranteed to die, and once you start dying, you'll keep dying until you kill him. I just watched Jimmyqballs run on youtube, and even he fared about the same, so I don't feel so bad.

Such a great game!

Not sure where I go from here. Master is probably insane. Or maybe I try to beat the final boss on Experienced.

Supreme AI doesn't seem that bad when you talk about final bosses. That one phase with the star laser is the toughest. I've lost plenty of lives there.

The Architect is a pain. I try to concentrate on the canister that shoots bullets before hitting him directly. It's "easier" to dodge the lasers. The small space definitely contributes to the difficulty.

As for Master...revenge bullets will be painful. Your brain will be working overtime, lol

One minor complaint, the challenges in Arena are a bit all over the place. Some are very easy and then all the quick ones have ridiculously high scores to beat where you seem to have to be in the top 30 people to get a gold. I did persist and got all the golds but damn was it tough for those specific challenges.

I love Arena but the challenges where they ask you to just beat a world and get a high score are my least favorite. You could just choose Single World and do the same thing. At the same time, it's not a total waste since you can use that to earn coins while also learn all the secret spots.

The fast moving challenges are my favorite.

Sent you a friend's request on PS4 for some high scoring goodness. 😂

Thanks! I'm on my way home so I'll accept soon :)

Thanks for this, it's extremely helpful. Are you also working on secret humans and beacons?

When I finish the World 6 Secret Exits, I'll do Beacons next...unless someone else beat me to it.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=241790241

Linking to my post with all the Secret Exits. Just posted World 6 so it should be complete now.

Wow completely forgot about this and forgot it was HM's game

I feel like a junkie playing their arcade games

Really surprised at how the scores are. Good for them

Ok Im pretty hyped atm... disappointed in no ps plus discount but the $15 promo will help me a lot

Are the 100 levels fairly good or repetitive or what? Resogun had like 5x5 if I recall. This has 20x5?

Im expecting the competitive MP to be worthless

Wozman23

Ok Im pretty hyped atm... disappointed in no ps plus discount but the $15 promo will help me a lot

Are the 100 levels fairly good or repetitive or what? Resogun had like 5x5 if I recall. This has 20x5?

Im expecting the competitive MP to be worthless

It's 6 different worlds with between 15-20 small levels (screens) depending on if you track down the secret level paths.

I'd say it's on par with Resogun content wise, and similarly score driven. You can make it through the 5 rookie levels fairly easily, but the gloves come off on the difficulty levels above that.

Competitive MP simply means leaderboards.

Thanks.

So this is the next successor to SSD/Resogun eh?

Didnt care for Dead Nation so I skipped Alienation. Any mention of long term support plans?

low-G

Thanks.

Didnt care for Dead Nation so I skipped Alienation. Any mention of long term support plans?

It's in the style of SSD & Resogun for sure, but also as different from either as they are from each other.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There was a discount for preordering.

It's 6 different worlds with between 15-20 small levels (screens) depending on if you track down the secret level paths.

I'd say it's on par with Resogun content wise, and similarly score driven. You can make it through the 5 rookie levels fairly easily, but the gloves come off on the difficulty levels above that.

Competitive MP simply means leaderboards.
It also basically has the stuff that came with the first (?) major Resogun patch, like feats and challenges (here: Arena mode), so it's beefier than how Resogun started.

Thanks.

You can definitely see/feel the Resogun presence, especially with having to save Humans but I wouldn't call it a successor.

MrS

Banned
Finally got that platinum TYBG. Favourite game of 2017 so far, and it has been a great year for games. Housemarque have once again proved themselves to be consistently brilliant.

Wozman23

Finally got that platinum TYBG. Favourite game of 2017 so far, and it has been a great year for games. Housemarque have once again proved themselves to be consistently brilliant.

Congratulations, and welcome to the club!

It'll definitely make my GOTY short list.

Just curious if anyone has double dipped on both pc and ps4? I have it on ps4 and plan on picking it up for pc once the price goes down on it. If anyone has both versions, is the pc version just marginally better or would you say there's a noticeable difference?

Been grinding away in Arena these few days:

d1sx4.jpg

Need to work on Forest Hunter and Fire Miner.

I would like to see some sort of Geometry Wars 2 Deadline-like mode. Arena has 2 of them where you need to get the highest score in 4 minutes and they are a ton of fun.

tok9

So had my first proper go of arcade on Veteran last night (after accidentally exiting the previous night)

I generally had no real issues up to World 4 and then the boss there just destroyed me really. Wasted about 8 continues on it and finally ended up around 5-9 or so.

Still, happy enough for a first run, I should probably do a single world run of 5 and 6 to make sure I'm prepared next time I try.

Cute little detail in one of those bonus stages within World 4. Normally humans start randomly moving around in a panic rather than remain stationary, what with them being terrorized by big killer robots, but the arcade is the lone exception throughout the entire game:

rcd1jb21.png

Videogames are bad for you, and all that noise.

From the AMA:

Eugene Jarvis said:
That said, the modern arcade games are much more of a casual experience. There's really not a lot of hardcore games left. But I think now is maybe the time to bring back the ballsacks to games and challenge a new generation. We'll see how Nex does in the arcade.
#BringBackBallsacks

nowarning

Just got this, played 43 mins so far. Game is fucking rad. I'm already finding myself restarting every time I mess up. I was pretty good at Resogun and SSHD so hoping to get my scores up there. I haven't had a look yet, but is the leaderboard PC & PS4 or just respective platform?

Edit: nm, just seen there's an option to enable cross platform ranking.

I noticed this yesterday but when you save a human, your multiplier turns blue when you're killing enemies.

I'm assuming during this period is when you get more points?

I'm trying to find out what exactly I'm doing wrong when it comes to moving up the leaderboards and this new discovery might be key.

Just got this, played 43 mins so far. Game is fucking rad. I'm already finding myself restarting every time I mess up. I was pretty good at Resogun and SSHD so hoping to get my scores up there. I haven't had a look yet, but is the leaderboard PC & PS4 or just respective platform?

Edit: nm, just seen there's an option to enable cross platform ranking.

Yeah, I restart anytime I'm displeased with my performance. Not only that, but I don't even bother continuing. Because of that, I have yet to finish the game because I just keep restarting. LOL. Anyone else do that?

Dan

Gimme a season pass. I can't imagine not approving of whatever Housemarque wanted to do.

I noticed this yesterday but when you save a human, your multiplier turns blue when you're killing enemies.

I'm trying to find out what exactly I'm doing wrong when it comes to moving up the leaderboards and this new discovery might be key.
There's a human combo feature, you basically have to pace your human saving to keep that combo and the higher multipliers active. There's a meter below the multiplier showing its remaining duration when active.

Gimme a season pass. I can't imagine not approving of whatever Housemarque wanted to do.

There's a human combo feature, you basically have to pace your human saving to keep that combo and the higher multipliers active. There's a meter below the multiplier showing its remaining duration when active.

If there's a season pass, it'll be bought day 1!

What I'm talking about seems like another layer of scoring, ontop of the human combo.

You know how in Resogun, when you deposit a human, the arrows turn blue and every human deposited during that time gets a boost in score? Does it work the same way in Nex? If I capture one human and the MP turns blue, do I get more points if I capture a human during those few seconds?

At the same time, you can't capture them too quickly or there's a chance you'll lose combo.

Maybe it's something...maybe it's nothing...but they have me thinking lol.

Btw, speaking of Resogun, I believe it's currently on sale on PSN. If you haven't picked it up yet, I highly suggest you do, along with the season pass.

Dan

If there's a season pass, it'll be bought day 1!

What I'm talking about seems like another layer of scoring, ontop of the human combo.

You know how in Resogun, when you deposit a human, the arrows turn blue and every human deposited during that time gets a boost in score? Does it work the same way in Nex? If I capture one human and the MP turns blue, do I get more points if I capture a human during those few seconds?

At the same time, you can't capture them too quickly or there's a chance you'll lose combo.

Maybe it's something...maybe it's nothing...but they have me thinking lol.

Btw, speaking of Resogun, I believe it's currently on sale on PSN. If you haven't picked it up yet, I highly suggest you do, along with the season pass.
Oh gotcha, sorry. Could be a similar bonus for saving multiple humans quickly, or maybe just a flourish to help draw the player's eye to the human combo stuff.

orborborb

You die, you lose your powerup where you died and all enemies respawn.

Starting the stage over everytime you die makes harder difficulties maddening.

This is very important, in order to improve your skills you need to practice trouble spots at a HARDER difficulty so next time you play through it on the normal difficulty you breeze past it, otherwise you will just occassionally get lucky and never get better and then get even more frustrated because you die more in the future from bad luck. This game is all about doing everything it can to get the player to actually improve their skill because it doesn't have the social incentives that team based esports do.

Can anyone explain to me how to unlock the Do It and Because I Can trophies?

WillingYellowishDromaeosaur-size_restricted.gif

You see the large, dotted blue circle on the outside? When it shrinks and it's inside of the player circle (the circle surrounding your character), press the Dash button.

If timed right, you'll see at the bottom of the screen it says "Level End Dash Successful +100"

You need to hit the Dash button when it's in the circle but before it touches the character. This is the mini game they refer to.

lcap

So, this game is slowly becoming my GOTY this year, even with all the incredible titles that I've played I can't stop thinking about playing it at work.

I'm far from the most competent player, but these few days I've improved a lot, almost 1CC on Experienced where on the first day I struggled with Rookie difficulty. It's funny but I think my experience with Furi really helped me dealing with the bosses easily. Yeti Kong turned out ok after what I thought would be a massive PITA.

Now, is everyone's trophy of 10 Gold Medals bugged as well? I only got one gold medal but the trophy unlocked for me.

Judging by Steamspy for now (I know, it's a bit early to tell) can we say if the game sold well or not? And also considering the ratio of PS to PC players on the leaderboards?

Oh, and as a bonus, check out the really cool AMA from the devs and Eugene Jarvis they did today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6jt7a1/iama_makers_of_nex_machina_housemarque_here_with/?sort=qa

Im really hoping for dlc support like Resogun

Reaoguns dlc was fantastic and completely added addictive new ways to play to the point that the vanilla couldnt compare. Id buy a season pass for nex

WillingYellowishDromaeosaur-size_restricted.gif

You need to hit the Dash button when it's in the circle but before it touches the character. This is the mini game they refer to.

Thanks dude! Had no idea what the mini-game they were referring to was. I've been doing this trick on my scoring runs though so it'll just be a matter of connecting them up.

Oh wow, it's up to 15k on steamspy. Hopefully, it continues to sell, as I'd love to see future Housemarque titles get released on pc.

That is so much better than I had thought

Bet its better than PSN numbers. Bet they are really happy to get out and expand. They deserve the reach IMO.

Dont think they even need Sony anymore. This game seems like what would be next after Resogun and I cant see how they can make sequels to Stardust and Resogun.

Maybe A Wipeout-like Arcade Racer?

Other than that I cant see what they could do next for arcade score chasing games.

Dan

Now, is everyone's trophy of 10 Gold Medals bugged as well? I only got one gold medal but the trophy unlocked for me.
Yeah, seems like they medal trophies are set to unlock after getting one medal, which is a bit of a bummer.

Its the same in resogun
Wait. What?! Is there a bonus for boosting at the end of Resogun stages? How is this news to me?

Word on the street is, the blue number indicates a window where you can speed up the rate at which the multiplier increases. It's apparently also active when you kill units consecutively, akin to Assault Android Cactus' score system. No point booster like in Resogun (since x100 never turns blue) in other words, but it does influence score all the same.

That said: I wouldn't worry about it too much. Lengthy human combo chains across worlds and accruing additional multiplier tokens seem to be the most crucial factors; the latter = staying at five lives so that 1UPs change into said tokens + not losing your shield (after acquiring all other power-ups) so that filling up its respective bar gives you another token + busting open those yellow destructible boxes for a freebie. Focusing on this has nearly netted me 900 million in Arcade Mode at this point, with oodles of mistakes left to rectify.

That is so much better than I had thought

Bet its better than PSN numbers. Bet they are really happy to get out and expand. They deserve the reach IMO.

Dont think they even need Sony anymore. This game seems like what would be next after Resogun and I cant see how they can make sequels to Stardust and Resogun.

Maybe A Wipeout-like Arcade Racer?

Other than that I cant see what they could do next for arcade score chasing games.
A Housemarque first-person shooter along the lines of DOOM 2016's Arcade Mode (surprisingly legit) or Devil Daggers would be exhilarating.

Kind of off topic but what other psn games are out there similar to this aside from Housemarque games? Is Assault Android Cactus a good buy?

Geometry Wars 3

Wait. What?! Is there a bonus for boosting at the end of Resogun stages? How is this news to me?

When you hit Overdrive, you have a small window to hit the button again to create a mini-blast I think.

---

Just bought the game, initial impressions are that its hard, and Im not sure what the power ups are, or if Im even activating them.

Im not liking it as much as I thought, but Ill need time to settle into the groove of things.

I don't know if its because Im playing a dude running around a bunch of pre-made levels, but I prefer the arcade experience of Resogun, Stardust, and Geometry Wars for being on a single plane, if that makes sense.

I enjoy those games for having a well defined board in which all the action happens as opposed to going through a maze. Im guessing the levels will become familiar with time and practice though

I kind of hope they add a DLC mode that is just that-- playing on a flat rectangular level that is like Geometry Wars, without the switching off boards.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
hey guys. guess this gets asked alot, but do we know of any plans for online coop?

Seen this game this week and thought it would be a perfect fit for me and my buddy (we mostly play coop online) but was dissapointet to see this only having local coop...
Is this by design or is online coop coming somtime down the line?

Top Bottom