• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

KKRT00

Hey guys, I am incredibly interested in this game. I know the game has a long way to go and its unoptimized but would a laptop 1070 handle this at 1080p?

This game will be quite CPU heavy and CPUs are not great in laptops. It really depends what framerate are you interested in.

chifanpoe

Jeez...this thing is a beast.

Blow everything up so quickly!

Also for a slightly higher price ($75 more) don't forget the original Gun Ship (CIG certainly has) The Redeemer.

The last updated specification for it:

Redeemer Updated Specifications: (2015)

CLASS-1 2× (2x S2) – 2x Omnisky IV Laser Cannon}
CLASS-3 2× (5x S4) – 2× (5x Talon ASIM-20/c Stalker V per rack)
CLASS-4 Unmanned twin turret (nose) (2x S3) – 2x KA 11-Series Broadsword (S3)
CLASS-4 Unmanned twin turret (flanks) (2x S4) – 2x Kroneg FL-33 (S4)
CLASS-5 Manned top twin turret (2x S3) – 2x KA 11-Series Broadsword (S3)
CLASS-5 Manned bottom twin turret (2x S3) – 2x KA 11-Series Broadsword (S3)

*That is 12 forward facing guns and 10 good sized missiles.

Keep in mind it can also holds around 32 SCU of storage, has a living area, Connie sized Shields/Power Plant, and a crew of 3-4. Supposedly is faster than an Connie with it's "Alien Drive System".
nQpW0FJ.jpg

iHaunter

Also for a slightly higher price ($75 more) don't forget the original Gun Ship (CIG certainly has) The Redeemer.

Keep in mind it can also holds around 32 SCU of storage, has a living area, Connie sized Shields/Power Plant, and a crew of 3-4. Supposedly is faster than an Connie with it's "Alien Drive System".
nQpW0FJ.jpg

Always loved the redeemer.

Was reading about the Hurricane and apparently you can't slave the turret guns to pilot like the SH out of the box -____-

I'll wait then, see if anything changes. Could always change, I do still have LTI from the Saber package.

Zalusithix

nQpW0FJ.jpg

Slightly higher price, but entirely different class of ship. You're moving to Constellation crew level requirements for optimal usage of the ship, and it's not something that'll partake in a dogfight. The Hurricane is a fighter and small enough to be carried in the Polaris/Idris/Javelin cap ships. By itself, it's a death trap. In a squadron on the other hand, with adequate teamwork, its limitations can be mitigated and its strengths exploited.

I find the Hurricane extremely underwhelming as a primary ship, but it's quite intriguing for org use on our multiple Idris. There's a limited number of ships that'll fit in the Idris, and far less that actually make sense. Any addition to that collection increases the permutations for a 3 fighter squadron.

Pomerlaw

I wonder if a casual player like me will be able to use something like a Constellation Aquila? I may go for a smaller exploration ship because crew may be expensive.

315p or Terrapin?

iHaunter

I wonder if a casual player like me will be able to use something like a Constellation Aquila? I may go for a smaller exploration ship because crew may be expensive.

315p or Terrapin?

Terrapin is probably best.

It's very tanky, I have one myself. Needs a max crew of 2 to fully operate. You can just have 1 AI do the other tasks.

Zalusithix

315p or Terrapin?

If you're going for smaller exploration ships, then you're probably best off with either the Reliant Sen or the Terrapin depending on what price point you're targeting.

Barring a miracle on the 300 series redesign, I don't see it stacking up with the Sen, and the Reliant has one of the best cockpits in the game when it comes to view. The in-flight straight ahead is a bit obscured at the top, but in freelook there's little obstruction. Then when you are in horizontal "working" mode, you could walk to the front and see a 180 degree panorama. I made a quick video of the Reliant's (Kore) view and interior to demonstrate (ignore the framerate issues - did the capture while another game was running in the background).

You'd loose the view in the Terrapin (though the cockpit area should be decent), but gain far more survivability and theoretically gain more advanced instrumentation. It is over twice the price though. How much better of an exploration ship it is over the Sen nobody can say. It's certainly a hell of a lot better for combat recon, but that's a different matter entirely.

Until the ships and exploration itself are in the game, this is mostly the realm of theorycrafting.

There is also Mustange Beta for exploration and Freelancer Dur. One would imagine you could use those as well. The extra fuel and scanners (and cargo room) for freelancer justifies cost I imagine.

Zalusithix

There is also Mustange Beta for exploration and Freelancer Dur. One would imagine you could use those as well. The extra fuel and scanners (and cargo room) for freelancer justifies cost I imagine.

The Freelancer view is horrible. It could be the best damn explorer ever on paper, but that view would kill it for me as an exploration ship. Just EVA you might want to say, but EVA has risks associated with it and depending on the environment might be extremely dangerous or outright impossible.

The Mustang has a good cockpit view, but is extremely cramped, and obviously is the lowest on the totem pole in terms of ship capabilities.

The Freelancer view is horrible. It could be the best damn explorer ever on paper, but that view would kill it for me as an exploration ship. Just EVA you might want to say, but EVA has risks associated with it and depending on the environment might be extremely dangerous or outright impossible.

The Mustang has a good cockpit view, but is extremely cramped, and obviously is the lowest on the totem pole in terms of ship capabilities.

The view is why I personally don't have one. It is also the reason I am not a fan of the starfarer.

Zalusithix

The view is why I personally don't have one. It is also the reason I am not a fan of the starfarer.

Ultimately the Freelancer and Starfarer are shipping boats. While having a good view is nice, when you're hauling, you're far more focused on time, route planning, and keeping your eye on the radar for hostiles. And when you're not doing any of the above, you're watching TV or browsing the net. =P The most efficient routes aren't typically scenic, and combat in those ships is a last ditch defensive resort. A good view just isn't that important for them. No matter how impressive port hub X might look, it'll lose its grandeur after the umpteenth time of pulling in to dock.

While exploration can also have uneventful downtime, when you do find something new or exciting, you'd certainly want more than a window slit to take it in.

jaaz

That's assuming that the redesigned Freelancer DUR will have the same cockpit view as the redesigned base Freelancer. I think there's a good chance the view will be much improved in the redesigned DUR.

Zalusithix

That's assuming that the redesigned Freelancer DUR will have the same cockpit view as the redesigned base Freelancer. I think there's a good chance the view will be much improved in the redesigned DUR.

We'll see. I don't see it happening, but anything is possible.

lacinius

This is my hope as well considering the rounded nose of the Aquila, and even the Prospector falls outside of the standard MISC nose, so I think there is some wiggle room there to do something different with the DUR... but we shall see.

iHaunter

This makes sense because the DUR is an exploration based ship.

They have a different cock-pit for all of the Constellations.

Zalusithix

Freelancer is a Cargo ship and doesn't need a cockpit with a large view.

Dur is an Exploration ship and most likely will need a large cockpit view.

The DUR variant was already made once with the same crap view - along with every other variant. They can certainly change things for the second time around, but obviously this wasn't considered a common sense thing for v1.

Nice to see them still at it. This will certainly keep CIG on the right path through Alpha to improve netcode.

The more all of us talk about netcode and keep showing that we care about it, the more will all development studios take it seriously. And people who work in networking development are going to be more highly desired in the games industry:D

iHaunter

The more all of us talk about netcode and keep showing that we care about it, the more will all development studios take it seriously. And people who work in networking development are going to be more highly desired in the games industry:D

I wonder how StarNetwork 2.0 will impact the Netcode as it stands, or how much is re-written.

I assume they won't do any netcode updates until 3.0, assuming the netcode is different. So interesting!

Pomerlaw

If I have one critic about their moons is that they all look like they have atmo.

I'd like to see one where you can see the black sky and stars from the surface. Do they have one like this?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The voxel-ish terrain in the EverQuest Next Landmark alpha made for a fun little mining experience. It'll be interesting to see what things wind up looking like here. Hopefully not just a health bar for the static asteroid ticking down until it blows up.

The voxel-ish terrain in the EverQuest Next Landmark alpha made for a fun little mining experience. It'll be interesting to see what things wind up looking like here. Hopefully not just a health bar for the static asteroid ticking down until it blows up.

Don't expect voxels. More likely it will be planetary and asteroidal nodes or veins that be depleted when done. I doubt actual terrain carving will be involved.
Still, what is more exciting, is that the minerals will affect the economy. That is the bit that will make it great. Mining in other games just means gold, not direct industrial output... well, maybe in EVE.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Having a gray area underlying bright visions of the future goes quite well with the logo, really.

So the name we made up to match the initials wound up having a backstory made up that just happened to be represented well by the logo as a visual metaphor. Dang, it was meant to be

Zalusithix

So the name we made up to match the initials wound up having a backstory made up that just happened to be represented well by the logo as a visual metaphor. Dang, it was meant to be

Well when we were spitballing in-lore history of the org some time ago, NEOGAF was originally just GAF (paralleling the forums) in the Messer era and did some shady stuff. It's not unreasonable to assume some darker aspects were carried over to the rebranding (whether intentionally or otherwise).

Daedardus

What's the status on the female character models?

Also have a new beefy laptop, going to try to see if this thing can run Star Citizen, should be great when I'm moving between dorm and home. Might mean I can finally regularly play Star Citizen :D.

iHaunter

Also have a new beefy laptop, going to try to see if this thing can run Star Citizen, should be great when I'm moving between dorm and home. Might mean I can finally regularly play Star Citizen :D.

Sandy is showing it off on Twitter a lot.

Looks like it's close to rolling out, probably 3.0.

Yeah I cannot wait for the female player model honestly. Will probably be RPing a female for the first time in a long time in game if it is competent enough. Usually female models plays second fiddle to the male ones and look / animate generally worse.

Zalusithix

Yeah I cannot wait for the female player model honestly. Will probably be RPing a female for the first time in a long time in game if it is competent enough. Usually female models plays second fiddle to the male ones and look / animate generally worse.

Opposite for me. SC will (most likely) be the first MMO in a long time where I actually play my gender as opposed to a female. Not that I plan on RPing.

Top Bottom