• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida teens who recorded drowning man will not be charged in his death

some people want vigilante justice on kids.

wonder why these kids in particular....

the teens must be dark enough for the popo to take the time to dig up a random charge.

Based on your two posts I have seen in this thread, it must be really sad that your singular focus is skin color. You must live a sad life. Hopefully you never find yourself on the other end of needing assistance and all you have is a group of mocking teens like these as your last interactions with the human race..

jchap

What these kids did is sick and twisted but people wishing "internet justice" on them are also wrong.

Hmm...It's almost like your race baiting..., while ignoring the fact a group of teens watched a fellow black man die, while mocking and filming him for some internet fame. If these were white kids you would be saying what anyone else would be saying. Nobody cares about race, especially in this type of situation. It's disgusting and sad what happened, and I feel bad for the family. And no, vigilante justice isn't right for this, but its gonna comeback and bite them in the ass someday. Wouldn't be surprised if the victims family and friends decided to pay them a visit and say hello.
all lives matter

Before I lose my temper on you and whatever thing you're trying to pull here, why don't you read up on why some people want these teens to not get away with mocking someone as he was drowning and then having no remorse for letting him die. Think about it.

Vigilante justice? No. Real justice from our systems? Yes.
oh, i get it now. you want 'real justice' for something that isn't a crime? so they fish in the books for *something* and *anything* they can glue to these kids who watched a grown man roll up and walk in to try and kill himself. but *they're* supposed to be the adults as teens of color...

I was wondering how long it'd be before you showed up in this thread.

It was going to be either "They aren't getting charged because they're white" or "They're only getting charged because they're black." Just a matter of what development you stumbled in on.
because i'm not privileged enough to be colorblind.

Yeah, in all other cases of teens watching someone die without even attempting to call for help and instead taunting the victim, GAF was super chill, right?
Christ.
I mean, it's wrong to call for vigilante justice, but this really isn't about race.
it's always about race.

because they are black.

/s
are you really that far gone?
no, it's not that i'm that far gone, it's that the country world still isn't anywhere near where it needs to be yet, despite constant improvement.

some people just have a harder time seeing it. or acknowledging what they see in individual incidents as belonging to a general pattern.

It's because they're black? Just finish your stupid thought it if that's what you think. These bitches deserve to be taught a lesson no matter their race. I was a lifeguard at their age. I had to probably pull a few dozen kids and one seizuring adult out over 4 years. How someone's reaction to something like this isn't to help in some way but rather enjoy a drowning by filming it is psychotic shit.
you were a lifeguard at 14? congrats, must be nice to have that kind of opportunity!

Based on your two posts I have seen in this thread, it must be really sad that your singular focus is skin color. You must live a sad life. Hopefully you never find yourself on the other end of needing assistance and all you have is a group of mocking teens like these as your last interactions with the human race..
you should see more of my posts then.

5taquitos

all lives matter

oh, i get it now. you want 'real justice' for something that isn't a crime? so they fish in the books for *something* and *anything* they can glue to these kids who watched a grown man roll up and walk in to try and kill himself. but *they're* supposed to be the adults as teens of color...

it's always about race.

no, it's not that i'm that far gone, it's that the country world still isn't anywhere near where it needs to be yet, despite constant improvement.

some people just have a harder time seeing it. or acknowledging what they see in individual incidents as belonging to a general pattern.

you were a lifeguard at 14? congrats, must be nice to have that kind of opportunity!

Dude, they were laughing at and mocking this disabled guy as he drowned in front of their eyes. I don't know what you're trying to reach for, these kids are fucked up in the head and it has nothing to do with race.

Fwiw, I don't agree that new laws should be written and applied to this case, and I don't approve of vigilante justice. But that doesn't change the fact that these kids are fucking sociopaths.

all lives matter

it's always about race.

Give me a break. I don't care if it's about race or not, you see someone in danger, you help them. If you don't cause you wanted to record a YouTube video about how funny it was, then you have problems and I do want justice on you. You're just as bad as a robber. Take off your color glasses for a minute and see the problem here instead of immediately assuming that we hate people of color. I don't. I never will. They're all family to me. But family or not, if they did something that's not right in any sense of the word then you bet I'm gonna make sure they know.

Dude, they were laughing at and mocking this disabled guy as he drowned in front of their eyes. I don't know what you're trying to reach for, these kids are fucked up in the head and it has nothing to do with race.

Fwiw, I don't agree that new laws should be written and applied to this case, and I don't approve of vigilante justice. But that doesn't change the fact that these kids are fucking sociopaths.
pretty sure it has everything to do with race. they've been taught that Black lives don't matter.

Give me a break. I don't care if it's about race or not, you see someone in danger, you help them. If you don't cause you wanted to record a YouTube video about how funny it was, then you have problems and I do want justice on you. You're just as bad as a robber. Take off your color glasses for a minute and see the problem here instead of immediately assuming that we hate people of color. I don't. I never will. They're all family to me. But family or not, if they did something that's not right in any sense of the word then you bet I'm gonna make sure they know.
not caring about race just means you're just a bystander in the war being waged against us by the people who do care very much about race. not ascribing race to something must be a great privilege to hold up on a sign on the sidelines.

Protome

Insane that you can taunt and mock a dying person without getting them any help and record the whole damn thing and still not receive any punishment.

To be honest the lack of remorse may be something their lawyer told them to do. There's no way to know how they really feel although it wouldn't surprise if they actually do lack remorse.

not caring about race just means you're just a bystander in the war being waged against us by the people who do care very much about race. not ascribing race to something must be a great privilege to hold up on a sign on the sidelines.
You completely missed my point and instead accuse me of not defending race. This isn't about whether or not someone is getting attacked due to race, this is about helping someone whose life is in literal danger but then you decide not to do anything about it.

Something is off about that. Really off. Those kids need help but if they're not gonna take it willingly then they need to understand why it was wrong.
Dude.

This is fragility talking.
How is that fragility? Shouldn't we help anyone who's in trouble? No matter what the color of their skin is or what gender they are?

You completely missed my point and instead accuse me of not defending race. This isn't about whether or not someone is getting attacked due to race, this is about helping someone whose life is in literal danger but then you decide not to do anything about it.
yeah. the life of someone who put themself in danger. on purpose. these kids are supposed to process that and just be adults. but other kids can just be kids even when they're 32 years old...
How is that fragility? Shouldn't we help anyone who's in trouble? No matter what the color of their skin is or what gender they are?
literally said 'stop being so Black for a minute'

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

Yeah, we get that.. but this isn't taking it across the country, it's on a video game message boards off-topic section and you constantly do this to any thread that you can bring it in too.

It get's tiring man.

This story is fucked up, it's completely against how the overwhelming majority would react to the situation if they came across it. Most people aren't mocking someone drowning.. suicide or not... they aren't filming that shit and yucking it up.

Your suicide excuse is bonkers too.. so it's ok to laugh at someone killing themselves as opposed to an accident?

At 16. The age of one of the kids. Started training at 15. You are right. It is nice to have a summer job any kid within biking distance can obtain.

I mean - shit. Are you implying lifeguarding is some privileged white suburban gig? The predominately African American inner city pool I swam at until 13 was guarded by a near all black (and given the area likely lower income) group of teens that would NOT FUCKING MOCK A DROWING VICTIM.

You making this about color is real fucking stupid.

Amikami

Banned
This thread has been so much nonsense. People need to accept that you can't legally charge these teens without bending over backwards in which case, a case against them probably won't and shouldn't result in a guilty charge. Are you guys kidding me. I know you have a better idea of how the justice system works. Like it or not, these teens will get away with somethings that morally reprehensible, but some internet vigilantism does no good. Someone start a damn campaign and make steps to turn this into a proper example for a new law for duty to assist and prevent this in future cases.

Faceless master. Are you serious! Its responsible to point out attitudes and diet racist behaviors but this argument you're persuing is completely irresponsible because as far as I can tell, there is nothing about peoples responses that would warrant this argument to turn into one about color. Posters are wrong for wanting to retroactively punish these kids with the legal system, or wanted internet justice and it's as irrational as it is irresponsible for them to be thinking that way. But all the same, it was disgusting behavior from the teens, and posters are having a strong reaction. Shit this isn't the hill you want to die on.

This is coming from a black gaffer. If you truly feel this is about race, go for it. But think hard about it, because if you go around making literally every incident about race when there's been no indication, you're going to do a disservice to the black community and every underprivileged community and weaken the claim and it;s the last thing that needs weakening right now for us. I'm almost convinced your trolling and you're purposely are trying to do just that.

Yeah, we get that.. but this isn't taking it across the country, it's on a video game message boards off-topic section and you constantly do this to any thread that you can bring it in too.

It get's tiring man.

This story is fucked up, it's completely against how the overwhelming majority would react to the situation if they came across it. Most people aren't mocking someone drowning.. suicide or not... they aren't filming that shit and yucking it up.
oh no!

it gets tiring?

so does being Black.

can't log off of that one though...

Breads

Banned

Don't try to change the premise of the discussion with trite platitudes. This here is about people wanting to punish the kids for something that, from a legal standpoint, isn't wrong - the presumption being because they are [I'm assuming] black.

Your response to this for them was to stop pretending race matters.

The kids are shit. The man should have been saved. This situation is morally outrageous. These are not things the things being argued here.

RangerX

Banned
Every country should have laws requiring people to give aid if someone is in distress. These teenagers are morally bankrupt.

NervousXtian

oh no!

it gets tiring?

so does being Black.

No but you can choose to not post in threads with the whole point of trying to derail them.

Don't try to change the premise of the discussion with trite platitudes. This here is about people wanting to punish the kids for something that, from a legal standpoint, isn't wrong - the presumption being because they are [I'm assuming] black.

The kids are shit. The man should have been saved. This situation is morally outrageous. These are not things the things being argued here.

Honestly the stories I read didn't even mention the race of the people filming and I don't remember seeing any of the teens in the video clips shown.

I don't think they should be charged with a crime for not intervening, but I think if they charged them with the misdemeanor for not reporting the death it can hopefully be awake up call about life.

I tend to be overly optimistic with people, to a fault. I'd like to think these kids aren't this morally bankrupt. They were just putting on a show for their friends. I dunno, I hope they are young enough to change.

Yeoman

oh no!

it gets tiring?

so does being Black.

Considering what this thread is about and what has transpired your posts have truly been remarkable.
A large portion of people in this world just refuse to accept responsibility for anything. They'll try and blame it on someone else at all costs.
You claimed that they did this because they've been conditioned to believe that black lives don't matter - I think that's one of the most ridiculous statements that I've ever heard.
You literally won't accept that these kids fucked up and the reason why is simply because...
they are black and you feel that means they can't be responsible for their own actions

fireflame

Just to be sure the story is ugly but there is no racism involved so why is skin color mentioned by members on this thread?

They haven't even released the names of the kids, let alone their race.

Faceless came in here and inferred that they must be black because ??? and has suddenly turned it into a race debate.

Yeoman

Just to be sure the story is ugly but there is no racism involved so why is skin color mentioned by members on this thread?
Because someone in this thread believes that the kids don't deserve any sort of backlash for literally watching a man drown to death and making fun of him instead of calling the emergency services because "they have been taught black lives don't matter" therefore they are actually the victims.

fireflame

It was apparently confirmed kids were black(just saw this through google). But if kids and victim were both black i dont get why this is being a point of anger. The problem is not about racism but lack of humanity from these kids.

Breads

Banned
People want to punish the kids because the law is wrong/lacking in this case.
Then the problem is the law. How tf is society served with the kids being punished for a crime they literally did not commit. These aren't adults and they aren't responsible for shit. Last I checked being shitty wasn't illegal and for sure I would have rather seen them call for help rather than taunting him but come on...

NervousXtian

Then the problem is the law. How tf is society served with the kids being punished for a crime they literally did not commit. These aren't adults and they aren't responsible for shit. Last I checked being shitty wasn't illegal and for sure I would have rather seen them call for help rather than taunting him but come on...

I mean didn't you just say the same thing that guy did in a different way.

People are mad because technically they didn't break a law, but morally you want justice.

oh yeah derail because blackness is a distraction, not a factor in how justice is dealt...

Don't you ever tire of this shit all the time? Look back at the responses to you in this thread. You're not having the effect you think you are. (or maybe you are).

Zoe

Even if this was a suicide, 1) some people do change their minds mid-attempt, and 2) the man was missing for days. The family had no idea what happened.

Bottom line, a call to 911 should have happened.

Breads

Banned
I mean didn't you just say the same thing that guy did in a different way.

People are mad because technically they didn't break a law, but morally you want justice.
I've hoped for the worst in life for people who've done perfectly legal things plenty of times, if this is what your're getting at.

It was apparently confirmed kids were black(just saw this through google). But if kids and victim were both black i dont get why this is being a point of anger. The problem is not about racism but lack of humanity from these kids.

Agreed but that is not how some people want to see it but have to shoehorn in race at any given turn.

The fact of the matter is that color shouldn't matter but the content of the character. These people couldn't even act like humans and atleast take that phone and call 911. Instead they recorded and laughed. Considering how far the guy was out it would have been a danger to them to swim out if they were not strong swimmers but the fact that they recorded and laughed means that lack humanity and are just sick and broken.

What the f is this? Holy f. I can't believe they could just watch, taunt and laugh at a person who is in distress and drowning, what kind of people and environments create monsters like these? What the f man! They should get these kids some serious help.

I hope something like this never happens again.

yeah. the life of someone who put themself in danger. on purpose. these kids are supposed to process that and just be adults. but other kids can just be kids even when they're 32 years old...

literally said 'stop being so Black for a minute'
As an Hispanic, I'm not gonna apologize. Sorry for assuming that you're black (even though all I said was take off color glasses which has nothing to do with being black in my opinion) but not for everything else.

You believe what you want to believe about all this, and I'll go with what I believe. That's it.

Okay man. I didn't know they were black so sorry for bringing my trite platitudes in this thread about teenagers mocking someone's death. Next time I'm going to see what race they are and process the situation before taking action.

No I won't though. If you're in trouble I'm coming in to help. If you're acting like a freaking psychopath I'll let you know. That's how I feel.

As an Hispanic, I'm not gonna apologize. Sorry for assuming that you're black (even though all I said was take off color glasses which has nothing to do with being black in my opinion) but not for everything else.

You believe what you want to believe about all this, and I'll go with what I believe. That's it.

that's one way to spin it.

how else should "Take off your color glasses for a minute" come across?

it's not safe. it's like Mahershala Ali said recently about moving thru the world playing defense.

Mocking and laughing about someone dying and doing nothing to help him is something I would describe as a bit stronger than 'being shitty'. It's sadistic and psychopathic. It's not about the law, it's about being a decent human being with empathy and negative emotion for someone who is literally dying.

that's one way to spin it.

how else should "Take off your color glasses for a minute" come across?

it's not safe. it's like Mahershala Ali said recently about moving thru the world playing defense.
Yeah you're right about that. I truly am sorry for saying that. Really I am. I'm just so mad at this situation. I didn't know they were black at all. I didn't want to see the video.

But at the end of the day, I help whoever is in danger. That's how I was taught. Not everything has to be brought into a "What if".

Breads

Banned
Exactly. It's a normal human response.
I draw the line at the call to arms against the kids. The situation makes me angry but the fact of the matter is that as kids I don't hold them responsible. I wish they would have helped in some way without putting themselves in danger and it distresses me that they laughed and taunted the man as they drowned but the real problem is the law. I wish they would have called and there was something in place to promote that instead of recording and taunting the man but that probably wouldn't have saved him. Ugh. This situation is just so damb ugly...

Top Bottom