• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If marijuana was legalized... would it affect your alcohol intake?

No because I smoke enough weed already, it would just make me spend less money in gas.

When I can't smoke though, yea I definitely end up drinking more. Hate it.

It's not even legal in NJ outside of medical and once I started smoking more I basically stopped drinking entirely lol

I just never got much of a buzz from alcohol no matter how much I drank, could never get the taste down for a lot of drinks and I have a replacement liver so I can't drink too much anyway

I've been thinking of applying for medical Marijuana actually, I fit the criteria, it just seems like a lot of effort.

EYEL1NER

I'm not a "drink a beer with dinner because I like the taste" kind of guy. Nothing wrong with being like that, but 9 times out of 10 if I start drinking something, the goal is to get absolutely wasted. I have kind of taught myself to drink between 1 or 2 glasses to a bottle of wine and be done, but if I'm drinking beer or liquor, it's because I wanna get fucked up.
If weed was legal, and there was no issue with people holding government jobs smoking recreationally like they can drinking at night or on the weekend, then I would probably never drink to get drunk again. I would continue to drink wine here and there, but that would be it.

my alcohol intake severely dropped with my obtaining a medical card

I used alcohol to chill and pass out at night and weed is much better at that.. not fattening if you can control the munchies and you don't wake up feeling like shit

that said there are times when I do miss the feeling of being drunk but not everything else that goes with it

This is where I'm at minus the medical card. I've had a long hard relationship with liquor and I think at this point I'd rather just smoke as opposed to the bad side effects that come with whiskey and vodka.

Neith

Banned
I don't drink much anymore. A good ale now and then. I smoke weed in very small amounts otherwise I get severe anxiety. It would affect not much for me.

Seik

Banned
I basically never drink, but I almost smoke on a daily basis though.

I wonder if by stopping my body would be 'naturally' more attracted to alchool to find a way to end the day. (Because I smoke like 1-2 'one puffs' to sleep better.)

Tastes way better than beer to me. :lol

It already has. I basically stopped drinking when I started smoking regularly.

These days, I'll have a drink when I'm out to dinner sometimes, maybe have one at a party, tops. Otherwise, it's all weed, all the time.

Lowmelody

Yeah, I would rather smoke than drink any day of the week which means any bucks spent on booze now would go to legal weed if possible. alas one day...

Kieli

No, and I don't drink the hard liquor.

For me, it's all about the light-percentage beers and wines. Wines for dinners, and beers when I lounge around and shoot the breeze with friends.

Speaking from my experience, yes. Especially after getting a vape/cartridge setup. I like the bong but the vape puts much less harmful matter in your life lungs. I'll make myself a drink for the flavor, but choosing between beer/weed to relax and play a game or whatever, I'll usually go weed. Lower calorie, too (I try not to give in to the munchies).

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd likely never drink again

This.
I very rarely drink and only do so in social situations where it's unacceptable to get high and everyone else is drinking.

If weed were legal everywhere then in those social settings I would be high and I would never touch alcohol again.

Nohar

I almost never drink alcoohol outside of handpicked occasions (and even then, it is usually just wine), and I don't smoke, period, so it wouldn't change anything for me.

hidys

I think I would still drink though I might drink less.

Although there was that one time I got very high while I was very drunk and drank even more so I guess it depends on the circumstance.

Joeku

Gonna be interesting when it gets legalized here in Canada. If the Provincial liquor stores start doubling as a dispensaries, it's going to be weird and too enticing to not just buy a spread and get crossfaded.

Smoking DRASTICALLY reduced my alcohol intake. Until I moved to a state where it wasn't legal. So dumb that I can go from one side of the US to the other and not follow basic standards I set for myself.

Zaru

My interest in marijuana is even smaller than my interest in alcohol, pretty close to zero. Wouldn't change a thing.

Not true Drambuie is delicious it's scotch whiskey, honey, herbs and spices. Sometimes do half and half. Half a shot of Drambuie half a shot of fine scotch on ice. Taste like honey water when it mixes with the ice really good.

You can make almost anything palatable by essentially turning it into spiced up sugar water, but the alcohol is probably the worst tasting part of that concoction. Don't kid yourself.

I went from drinking only, to smoking weed and drinking, to only weed.

Weed is much healthier, safer, more fun, and overall better than alcohol imo.

2 years later and I'm pretty much alcohol free. ill still drink, I'm not against it, but I'll always choose weed over the two.

Dynomutt

My interest in marijuana is even smaller than my interest in alcohol, pretty close to zero. Wouldn't change a thing.

You can make almost anything palatable by essentially turning it into spiced up sugar water, but the alcohol is probably the worst tasting part of that concoction. Don't kid yourself.

I mean if you already don't have an interest in alcohol ok. But how are you gonna tell me what drink does and does not taste good? What I drink don't make you piss lol!

I don't think anyone's kidding your just being righteous.

dabig2

I drink as I smoke, but I would definitely be drinking less in total amount IF pot were 100% legal and more readily acceptable to the point that drug testing wouldn't even test for it.

Moff

no, I already drink rarely
never alone, only when I am out for a nice dinner or in a bar, and I would still do that
I would certainly smoke weed more often, though, but only socially as well

TuXx

Yes, I don't like feeling more drunk than high, so I usually just drink two or three beers when I smoke.

Zaru

I mean if you already don't have an interest in alcohol ok. But how are you gonna tell me what drink does and does not taste good? What I drink don't make you piss lol!

I don't think anyone's kidding your just being righteous.

My point wasn't that this particular drink doesn't taste good (to you)
My point is that it would likely taste better WITHOUT the alcohol, and would be much cheaper too.

So at the end of the day, you're drinking it for the alcohol more than for the taste. Admitting that doesn't make you an alcoholic, you know.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
No.

Weed makes me paranoid and extremely depressed. It's been a while, but the last time I smoked, I seriously contemplated taking my life. I haven't touched it since then.

Alcohol does the exact opposite. I'm a happy drunk.

120v

i can't imagine weed being a successful replacement for booze on a person by person basis

sure some weekend warriors will spend $20 on a bag in lieu of a 24 pack. but generally people will just smoke more in spite of whatever their alcohol intake is

Budi

It's not even legal here and it already did. If it would had been legal, it would had happened sooner. And I wish it was, I made myself a fool while drunk way too many times.

Top Bottom