• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Have they said anything about potentially more unlockable characters? It's bizarre there's no Waluigi or Diddy Kong in this. Hell even if they just port over the MKWii cast with zero changes, at least they'd also be King Boo and Funky Kong who're pretty neat 'out there' characters.

Neiteio

What the hell is this?

According to the game's U.S. site, Versus Mode is multiplayer only like in Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash. That is a HUGE step backward. What if I want to play a single race, against a full field of CPU racers? Not an entire freaking Grand Prix, just a single race? How do I do this, Nintendo? You let me do it in the last couple games, so why not here??

I swear Nintendo is so goddamn backwards sometimes. Sigh.

Neiteio

I don't get it, there's no time trials?
There are time trials, but time trials don't allow you to play against a full field of CPU with items and everything. So if you want to do that in single player, on a single track, you'll have to go through four courses in a cup. You can't just, say, pick Bowser's Castle and play against CPUs with items and everything for that course only. You'll have to go through the other three courses in that cup as well, all in a row.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm so tired from travelling I might have posted this last night.

But I played the final version last night, oh it's so good.

There are time trials, but time trials don't allow you to play against a full field of CPU with items and everything. So if you want to do that in single player, on a single track, you'll have to go through four courses in a cup. You can't just, say, pick Bowser's Castle and play against CPUs with items and everything for that course only. You'll have to go through the other three courses in that cup as well, all in a row.

That's super dumb. Can you confirm this VOOK?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
That's super dumb. Can you confirm this VOOK?

Time Trials have never had CPU or Items have they? It's always been one player with the three mushrooms boost.

What you're after is like a 'Quick Race' selection, I can't remember if it was there I mostly played multiplayer and unlocked all but the last cup before the event was over (of the retro tracks).

hatchx

Banned

What if you just go to multiplayer 4P and don't sign anyone in? I've seen some games do that, it is very strange. (Smash bros, for example).

Where is all of this info coming from?

Do we know if there is mission mode? 2P GP? Battle mode options?

Neiteio

In Mario Kart DS, you could go into Versus in single-player. You'd pick your character, your kart, your course, and off you go, playing that one course against a full field of CPUs, with items and everything. If you were addicted to, say, Waluigi Pinball, you could endlessly play that course, firing shells, dropping banana peels, etc.

According to the U.S. website for Mario Kart 7, however, you can't do that in the new game. Versus is for multiplayer only. If you want to play against CPU with items, you'll have to do so in sets of four tracks at a time. So if you want to play against CPUs on Rainbow Road, you'll have to play through the three courses before it first.

Terrible, terrible news. I thought single-player Versus would be a lock, given this is a pick-up-and-play portable, and given the fact DS and Wii had it. Instead they've gone back to the Dark Ages. Goddamn it.

Neiteio

If I can't play balloon battles single-player style I will rage.
The guy at GameXplain said there's single-player Battle Mode against the AI, so you're in luck. But why the fuck can't I race against the AIs on a single track? I'm SO SALTY about this. Seriously. I love you guys so I hope you're all patient with me as I proceed to be a bitch about this for the remainder of the year.

I mean, goddamn it. If I want to play Rainbow Road and just Rainbow Road against the AI, I have to play through DK Jungle, Rosalina's Ice World and Bowser's Castle first. Admittedly, all those tracks are awesome, but sometimes you just want to race against the AI on one track in particular. Why couldn't Nintendo have been assed to add two lines of code to enable it??

I swear, if this is another instance of their coddling nature -- "We don't want to add TOO many options because we might confuse the babies" -- I'm going to... I'm going to... Well, I'll still buy Nintendo games, but... Fuck.

(On a side note... It's cool Metal Mario is the 150cc Special Cup unlock. Feels suitably badass.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, I feel your pain bro. I did single-player VS mode all the time in MK DS. Next best thing to a random stage select button.

Neiteio

Yeah, I feel your pain bro. I did single-player VS mode all the time in MK DS. Next best thing to a random stage select button.
I'm pretty sure you could even set MKDS' single-player versus to Random Stage select. I remember I would do this and play through all the tracks once in a random order. It even tallied the points from one race to the next. MKDS was perfect when it came to in-game options. How could MK7 go so far backwards? I just don't understand.

I'm pretty bummed about no Mission Mode or Single Player Vs, unless the site is purposefully omitting information (which is a slight possibility). Maybe you have to unlock them? Who am I kidding...

Berordn

I'm pretty bummed about no Mission Mode or Single Player Vs, unless the site is purposefully omitting information (which is a slight possibility). Maybe you have to unlock them? Who am I kidding...

Assuming Nintendo Power wasn't lying about there being more than 16 characters, they are already. It's completely possible that they were wrong too, we'll just have to wait and see at this point since there's some conflicting info.

Assuming Nintendo Power wasn't lying about there being more than 16 characters, they are already. It's completely possible that they were wrong too, we'll just have to wait and see at this point since there's some conflicting info.

Yeah this is what I'm hoping. I don't mind having to unlock those modes as long as they're there

Neiteio

I'm just preparing myself for the worse, which would be no single-player Versus. I've watched footage of all the tracks and I know I love them all, so playing them in sets of four isn't an excruciating prospect. But I just don't get why Nintendo doesn't give us the option, especially after MKDS had it and even the option to tweak CPU AI and tally points from one course selection to another, effectively allowing you to craft your own cup even.

Also guys, if I were you I'd start accepting there may only be 17 characters, (the 16 mascots plus Mii). According to the GameXplain article, they're the only characters in the game. In other words, no Waluigi.

EDIT: Hmm, I just realized he lists unlockables for all of the cups in 150cc, but I wonder if he's checked to see if any new characters/karts/modes unlock with beating cups in Mirror Mode. (Assuming Mirror Mode is back, I mean.)

Are the retro tracks in this game remade using MK7's graphics or will they be ports of the old games?

Also, does this have the same amount of tracks as the DS one had?

Javier

Are the retro tracks in this game remade using MK7's graphics or will they be ports of the old games?

Also, does this have the same amount of tracks as the DS one had?
1st question: Not only they're remaking the tracks with 3DS graphics, they're fully remaking them to take advantage of this game's new gameplay features. For example, GCN Daisy Cruiser and Wii Koopa Cape now have underwater sections that weren't in the originals.

2nd question: Yes.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I find it very hard to believe that there is no 1P Versus option. You've been able to do that in every game since Double Dash, no?

vanty

I never knew there was such a thing as 1P VS in Mario Kart until today. I'm happy just doing GPs if I want to race or time trials if I just want to do specific tracks. Guess it is a good option to have though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Are you sure they haven't renamed it Quick Race like in Super Circuit? Is this a classic case of GAF jumping to conclusions?

Berordn

They haven't mentioned it at all on the website, which is where the concern comes from. For all we know it could just be tucked away somewhere that the previewers didn't find.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I haven't even touch the Versus mode of MKWii. The online mode is much more fun, so i'll probably ignore it just as well in MK7.

Neiteio

They haven't mentioned it at all on the website, which is where the concern comes from. For all we know it could just be tucked away somewhere that the previewers didn't find.
It says on the Modes page of the U.S. website that Versus mode is multiplayer only. And the reporter at GameXplain who told us how everything is unlocked said he can't find a way to race single-player against the computer on a single track. The only way is through the Grand Prix, in which case you have to race tracks in sets of four. You can, however, do single-player Battle Mode aganist the CPU.

Tom_Cody

Not going to spoil myself by seeing all the tracks, but the first video (1st minute) looks amazing.

Shy guy is so cute with his flappy arms.
I was just going to write this post exactly.

I am sooo hyped after watching about 30 seconds of that.

3D Land, Skyword Sword, and now this. I am so spoiled this fall.

Sinthetic

I was just going to write this post exactly.

I am sooo hyped after watching about 30 seconds of that.

3D Land, Skyword Sword, and now this. I am so spoiled this fall.

You and I both brother! Such an awesome closer to the year, Nintendo games always make me feel like good stuff is around the corner. Haha.

1st question: Not only they're remaking the tracks with 3DS graphics, they're fully remaking them to take advantage of this game's new gameplay features. For example, GCN Daisy Cruiser and Wii Koopa Cape now have underwater sections that weren't in the originals.

2nd question: Yes.

That's awesome!

This could be the best Mario Kart ever made!

Esiquio

I am dying for a map maker for Mario Kart. I want to play the SNES levels so badly on these newfangled MK games. I love Koopa Beach and the original Battle Mode stages to death.

rpmurphy

Snaking would have been hell on the d-pad.
I had no real issue with it on MK:DS. On the one hand, it was nice to leave the opponents in the dust when playing against CPU in single player, but on the other hand, it wasn't so fun against human players who were doing the same thing in multiplayer.

Did we ever get any word from the developers about whether they intended snaking to be used how it ended up being used? Because it's difficult to imagine they designed the game with the idea that online matches would just become snakefests.

I don't really have a problem with it in a single-player mode, but it makes multiplayer matches too boring in my opinion. I'm glad they figured out a way around it.

snaking is out? Good, it was a shittacular technique

I haven't even touch the Versus mode of MKWii. The online mode is much more fun, so i'll probably ignore it just as well in MK7.

this man speaks the truth

who cares about options? MK7 will be all about me vs seven losers online, and I'll be bloody happy about it

Top Bottom