• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron's TITANIC |OT| Collide With Destiny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might take one of my friends to go see this since I was 4 when it first came out.

I was ten. It was fucking amazing.

I was 18 and in college. I feel quite old now.

I saw this a minimum of 6 times in the theater during its initial run. Can't wait to see it again. Currently jazzed for the showing of Casablanca that Turner Classic is doing in select theaters this Wednesday. Seeing that on the big screen is going to be a big treat.

GhaleonEB

I'm so excited to take my kid to it. Debating about the six year old (seven by the time it comes out)...but I might haul her too. She wants to go.

This Dan poster won't amount to a thing! Mark my words, he won't!

You do know Titanic is more than three hours long. Going to be an expensive night.
Man, I have four older sisters. I know how long it is.

Also, I was like four days away from turning 15 when this came out.

NateDrake

More than likely eaten by organisms down there.
A lot of the wood content on the ship has also been eaten away. There are even microorganisms devouring the actual steel on Titanic as well.

Wasn't it said that the steel could be gone in the next 25yrs or so?

Blablurn

just like many other i also remember my first time watching it. i was fucking stunned by the epicness! not sure if im gonna watch it again thought... maybe.... haha. just to see the 3d maybe.

Next year's Oscars are going to be very interesting anyway. Spielberg will be coming out with a real heavy hitter for the first time since Munich. Then you have PTA and a whole bunch of others.

strafer

article-2118217-124570EB000005DC-482_964x300.jpg

Shiiieet.

Koodo

Banned
Kagari needs to raise $60k:

Now trips to the famed site are much easier: wealthy tourists can pay around $60,000 to take a 8-10 hour trip in a submersible vehicle down to see the actual site themselves.

Also, this one is great:

HCq45.jpg

Danny 117

Can't wait to see this film again in theatres, though we can never forget Cameron's mistake with the Funnels on the ship in the movie.

lol

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
my body (heart) is ready.

love this movie and I don't give a shit. I hate the people at work that make fun of me for being excited to see it again.

chick flick.. leo is lame DERP

Danny 117

What mistake?

The Titanic had four funnels, that is correct. Cameron shows smoke coming from all four funnels in the movie, this is incorrect as one of the funnels was not even a chimney and was completely for show.

Not a huge mistake but it's enough for me to nitpick!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Titanic had four funnels, that is correct. Cameron shows smoke coming from all four funnels in the movie, this is incorrect as one of the funnels was not even a chimney and was completely for show.

Not a huge mistake but it's enough for me to nitpick!

Uh... pay closer attention. The fourth funnel doesn't have smoke coming from it. It has steam, which was accurate. It was more for ventilation of the turbine engine room in addition to being a "dummy" funnel.

James Cameron will be host to a National Geographic special in April: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/titanic/final-word-with-james-cameron/

StuBurns

Banned
I remember the video of the guy talking about how Cameron wanted to correct the sky because it was inaccurate, it would be surprising if he fucked up something as blatant as the funnels.

It's not a perfect recreation though, it's shorter than the Titanic was.

G.O.O.

I lol'd when the trailer sold the movie as a work from the guy who made Avatar.

Otherwise, never seen it. Not planning to, especially for fucking 3D.

strafer

There are very prominent scenes of the sky and apparently the positions of the stars aren't accurate based on the location of the Titanic. I'll look for the video that talks about it, it's pretty cool.

Oddly, there is a more clear issue with the sky on the DVD versions, the banding is very bad.

That is a thing they should fix for the Blu-ray release.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Experience it like never before in 3D!

mantidor

whoa, the set they used in the movie is exact, even down to the debris near the fireplace.

If you are talking about the footage of the submerged ship, in the movie it is not a set, is the actual ship, they made a huge deal about it from what I remember.

I dislike the movie as I do most of Cameron's films, but he is a master of advertisement and production values, kind of like a Michel Bay, without the obnoxiousness.

StuBurns

Banned
There is some 'fake' footage in the film, I believe a piano room or something. He went down and actually saw it a few years later.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
If you are talking about the footage of the submerged ship, in the movie it is not a set, is the actual ship, they made a huge deal about it from what I remember.

I dislike the movie as I do most of Cameron's films, but he is a master of advertisement and production values, kind of like a Michel Bay, without the obnoxiousness.

That area in the ship was not filmed until 2005. A lot of the interior wreck shots were recreated in a tank set. James Cameron just happened to guess very accurately here.

As for "fake" wreck footage, here's my protip:
Every scene when you see both subs in the shot, that scene has been done with models :)

Some of the footage of the wreck is real, but the stuff inside the stateroom finding the safe is a recreation IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom