• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

dugdug

Banned
The presentation is soooo boring though. Spice it up PD.

Do you mean the video presentation here, or the visuals of GT's menus?

I always appreciated that GT menus aren't flashy or anything. Feels a bit more mature than some flashy shit.

Do you mean the video presentation here, or the visuals of GT's menus?

I always appreciated that GT menus aren't flashy or anything. Feels a bit more mature than some flashy shit.

As long as there is Jazz in the background, its all good

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There is a good game in here with fun to be had, but you gotta be online with it working out with other players.

This feels like review wise it's gonna have trainwreck all over it.

Also I agree with the poster that said whomever that was that was supposed to be PR he sucked. He sounded half asleep.

Also here are those cones I was talking about that look sooooo out of place

screenshot_20170727-1onbv1.png

pswii60

Is GT7 still happening? Or are we basically stuck with multiplayer focused GT-Lite from here on?

I thought this was just a Prologue style stop gap but I'm not so sure anymore.

I see the racing etiquette section is greyed out, considering there are no races (that I could see) in any of the 3 sections, that maybe where they are?

Would be odd not to have a single race in the whole campaign.

I don't think anyone expected it would be a 'proper' campaign mode.

Would have been the first time in GT anyway.

Effect

Honestly might cancel my preorder after seeing this "campaign" shit. Played an assload of GT5 and 6 (my favorite racers of that gen) and barely ever touched the online mode, and the few times I did were never actually fun.

Also, holy jesus, if you send a guy out to market your game, make sure he doesn't sound like he just woke up when showing it off. I don't need you to be Markiplier, but, at least put some energy in there.

It's pretty, though, and, I'll probably still buy it, but, this video bummed me out.

This was my experience as well with GT6. That was enough for me to love the game and put a LOT of time into it. It was a complete and satisfying experience without the online. The way GT6 controlled is what made it click with me in a way many other racers simply didn't and don't. So I was looking forward to GT Sport more then any other Sony game.

I've been waiting for months to see what the single player content would be like and this is extremely disappointing. Even if the title is mulitplayer focused that still shouldn't result in the complete removal of that content. A scaling back maybe.

Those challenges are going to be burned through by people. Usually in setups like that only a few are that challenging with low replayability. The Driving school will be pointless to a LOT of people that have played racing games before. Not everyone pays for PSN for various reasons. So as a offline game it appears to be very lacking in meaningful content.

It will get hammered in reviews for its single player suite but this is clearly going to be one of those "service" games that keeps on evolving over time. The beta alone was evidence of that.

As someone who probably won't play online much, though, I will definitely miss the Car-PG aspect.

Yea this is definitely easily the most difficulty time I've had searching for polygons in a screenshot.

They are there sometimes but you really have to look hard to find them.

Arklite

Tough to show the best side of an online game by focusing on the bare single player tutorials. I hope Sport's online is five times better/more stable than 5 or 6 because if it isn't then it's falling short.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Looks great, but the real question is will I be able to drive my shitty Ford Focus in it?

bombshell

This was my experience as well with GT6. That was enough for me to love the game and put a LOT of time into it. It was a complete and satisfying experience without the online. The way GT6 controlled is what made it click with me in a way many other racers simply didn't and don't. So I was looking forward to GT Sport more then any other Sony game.

I've been waiting for months to see what the single player content would be like and this is extremely disappointing. Even if the title is mulitplayer focused that still shouldn't result in the complete removal of that content. A scaling back maybe.

Where do you see that race events have been removed? They show what the very first event in Driving School entails and what the very first event in Mission Challenge entails. What about all the rest?

SolidSnakex already posted evidence that Mission Challenge has race events. 200+ events is complete removal of SP content?

I really don't see why PD didn't just keep the campaign mode from previous games. It wouldn't take them long to implement it either. I guess arcade mode now.

Effect

that's like highlighting a gymkhana stage in DiRT, posting it online and assuming the entire thing is going to be gymkhana. lol

If that is what they officially decided to show to preview the "campaign" then I would not fault anyone from thinking and assuming that's representative of an entire mode.

If there are normal campaign races as done in past GT games outside of the arcade mode then show them and talk about them. The lack of showing them or talking about them leads me to believe they're removed from the game in favor of all this mini challenges. Of these challenges they've shown they're not full races. You're not even going around the entire track at times. These are official previews. Not some guy just uploading content. I'd love to be wrong in my assumptions about what is in the game but I can only go off what I'm finally being shown and theorize and assume from there.

KdotIX

I for one am glad that this is the direction that PD is going with. I'm glad they're focusing their efforts on the online space and experience because in GT6 online your opponent's cars were tetchy and all over the place. From what I've seen of GT Sport Beta videos, everything looks smooth and thats really important for an online racing game.

Theres only so many sunday cups you can do with bland and frustratingly slow AI.

Quite glad they've cut down on the number of cars too, in order to make it a fantastic visual experience across the board, no more "premium" and "standard" car shit. They are bound to add car packs and track packs down the line.

Jachaos

It was kind of distracting to have everything disappearing in the rearview mirror of that first video. Other than that and some pop-ins, I really like what I see. The menu's clean too.

KORNdoggy

Is there a racing line for newbies like me?

by the looks of it they've removed them in favour of corner warning symbols. i actually like this approach since it promotes learning, not just relying on what the coloured racing line is telling you. but maybe it's still in there somewhere?

MaDKaT

As a big fan, fanatically at times back around GT3/4, this is truly the first GT game I am struggling to get excited about and this preview isnt helping. I understood from the get go that it would be multiplayer focused but the lack of campaign is a still a real bummer. I loved GT5 and 6 but the only "online" I did was the solo weekly events and the race your friends time attack lines. Seriously considering skipping this one.

Is there a racing line for newbies like me?

Negative, they've replaced the racing line with something they refer to as driving markers. They're little arrows placed at the entry, apex and exit of each corner. You can see it here

gts2dcsy0.png

They still help to guide you around the track, but it's up to you to figure out braking points. Which is actually a better solution as far as helping you to learn the track.

Metfanant

Wait, that campaign. Everyone assured me this was just GT7. :(

A lot of people on GAF were saying it's basically the equivalent of GT7.

This game is a no buy for me based on single player content. Very disappointing, I was really looking forward to playing a new GT game.

I'm also disappointed in the single player content...but I'm gonna need to see some evidence of all these people...

Because it's been pretty clear from day 1 that this was not GT7...

Negative, they've replaced the racing line with something they refer to as driving markers. They're little arrows placed at the entry, apex and exit of each corner. You can see it here

gts2dcsy0.png

They still help to guide you around the track, but it's up to you to figure out braking points. Which is actually a better

solution as far as helping you to learn the track.

Looks like they've changed them from the beta, which were smaller green arrows. I really liked them, a much more elegant solution over the line, and great for track elevation when spotting upcoming corners.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I'm also disappointed in the single player content...but I'm gonna need to see some evidence of all these people...

This is the next mainline entry in the franchise, but the name here is a disaster. The vast majority of people seem to think it's some kind of filler before GT7 but that's clearly not the case based on everything we've been told.

Personally, I think the confused messaging is going to do severe harm to sales. Every thread is colourised by two common traits: is this a proper GT and will there be a full campaign. PD have been hopeless at answering either.

DrTrouserPlank

Neo Member
Can old wheels be used on this like the Logitech G25 or is there still some deal going with another manufacturer that means these wheels are conveniently not supported?

farisr

While I do think they've been up front about what campaign would entail, PD had been all over the place with their messaging in regards to whether this is GT7 or not. And yes, I've seen plenty of people refer to the "could've called this gt7" and "we haven't cut any content we've added more" quotes when some folks were asking what exactly this game is/what to expect.

Using the IGN video.

Driving School seems to have 50 events (you can see it says Final in the lowest, barely viewable line of events).

Mission Challenge has 7 rows times 8 events = 56 events.

Circuit Experience has 100 events across all circuits (I counted the dots on each track).

Then there's a 4th category: Racing Etiquette that they're aren't showing the contents of.

Sounds like there is plenty of stuff to do outside of MP and GT's challenges are normally fun but difficult enough, so should take a good amount of time to complete / get golds on everything, so actually not disappointed.

Shin-Ra

License tests were my favourite part of GT5 (skipped GT6) because of the more creative event variety, and the fact they usually are challenging to gold.

Also here are those cones I was talking about that look sooooo out of place
There's also a giant shiny gemstone on the track, it's a fantasy driving test with high visibility markers.

Top Bottom