• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World |OT| Did you ever see a dinosaur fly?

zroid

Banned
This is the only Blast Processing I need

zlCfzQ-L7Acv-4s6No

andymcc

Banned
i think this is probably just about as bad as NSMB (on DS) but i'll probably still buy it and play through it again cuz i'm a sucker.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah yeah yeah, more Mario games. When the hell are Nintendo going to get around to releasing a new Zelda or Metroid?! Zelda II was a joke, and I hear the next Metroid game's going to be on Gameboy?

Zelda 3 was already made but they changed the name to Battle of Olympus

jstripes

Banned
Still remember seeing this mag in a mall bookstore when I was 9. I was blown the fuck away.

large.jpg

Tell me about it. Was was probably 10 or 11 when I saw that, and the brief look I had at it was all I could think about for the next week. It was like a glimpse into an alternate word or future or something.

SMW is the game that actually got me properly playing them, beforehand I just dicked around on Stunt Race FX to little success but Super Mario World was a whole other kettle of rip van fish, it will always hold a mighty position in my crusty heart.

I'm going to take this moment to tell you all about how awesome Vanilla Fortress is, a waterlogged castle stage with all the usual tropes seen in SMW Castles/Forts but given a whole new approach by being completely submerged, it sounds pretty bad on paper what with being a tightly enclosed swimming stage filled with hazards but damn there's nothing I appreciate more than a water stage that breaks free of the ocean, plus it looks really nice as well. Also younger me found Magikoopa in vanilla dome castle a roadblock for the longest time, I had to take the top road out of that dome, only to then get perplexed by butter bridge 1 which led me to beating the game through star world which was a pretty roundabout way of doing things, can't figure out these damn butter bridge platforms but I can find all the necessary star road exits!

PS: Tubular sucks.

And then you
unlock the level you see on the title screen!
CRAZY!!!

Many a trip there is spent trying to recreate the opening demo.

Parallacs

I got my SNES with Super Mario World when I was 10. Mario All Stars was originally a free game with a mail in coupon, however it took six weeks to ship.

This means that this was the only super nintendo game I had for months. I played it endlessly. I had never before put so much time into a game. I loved every second of it.

R0nn

Far and away the BEST overworld ever in a Mario game. I really don't understand why Nintendo doesn't return to it. It's the most non-lineair design they ever did outside of SML2. Loved all the different paths you could take and the secret levels you could discover. There were SO many!

Robin64

Far and away the BEST overworld ever in a Mario game. I really don't understand why Nintendo doesn't return to it. It's the most non-lineair design they ever did outside of SML2. Loved all the different paths you could take and the secret levels you could discover. There were SO many!

This is why people were so excited when we first saw NSMBU's map.

RagnarokX

It's a great game, but by far the most overrated Mario game. It's one of the easiest Mario games and apart from the world map, imo, felt like a downgrade from SMB3. Most of the time the enviroments are fairly bland-looking and lack variety. The game does have a lot of great new enemy designs, though. I feel like the nostalgia for this game is extremely toxic and won't allow people to move on and even give games like NSMBU a chance.

NSLU is going to be amazing.

Shahadan

I was disappointed with NSMBU map at first, then discovered the secret levels :lol:
I prefer the SMW one still, even if NSMBU is the better game, especially because of the challenges who are godly. I really understood the quality of the level design with those.

-MB-

The game plays a whole lot better with the SNES pad I got off Club Nintendo, then it does with the Wiiu Gamepad.

Kyzon

I wanna buy it, but my snes is literally right next to my wii u XD

Anyways, Feather Master Race! There has never been a more amazing powerup in Mario games. The feather feels like nothing else in the series. I love the speed, the power, the agility. Hnnnnngggghhhh! I do wish they'd bring it back for another game. Maybe a NSMB with the Tanooki Suit, Squirrel Suit, Wing Cap, and Feather. It would be pretty interesting giving everyone a different means of flight.

Altazor

One of the first games I ever played (well, the first has to be an Atari one, but I can't remember which one. Probably Montezuma's Revenge). My cousins had a NES with SMB/Duck Hunt and whenever I went to their house, they never let me play. I just had to watch.

So in Christmas '93 (or was it my birthday? They're both in december, anyway) I was surprised when my parents got me a SNES with Super Mario World. Jaw on the floor and all. Probably behaved like that NINTENDO SIXTY FOOOOOOOUR kid, I can't really remember.

Thing is, it became MY game. It was the only one I had, of course, but Mario became my companion. in a way. And instead of making me addicted to it and turning me away from my family, it bonded us for a while. My parents played with me from time to time: I spent most of the time with my mom during the day, so obviously she watched me play the game a lot and tried to help me as best as she could. My dad helped me with english and helped me translate some of the words I didn't understand. In a way, not only SMW began my appreciation of videogames, it also made me start learning english by myself.

So yeah, it's arguably the most important game I've ever played. And even if there are better games, bigger, brighter, more difficult, even more memorable and influential... this one will forever have a place in my heart.

Eric C

After playing the NSMB games, I love how in SMW the levels with secret exits are marked on the world map with red. Wish Nintendo would've kept that in the NSMB games.

Anyways, Feather Master Race! There has never been a more amazing powerup in Mario games. The feather feels like nothing else in the series. I love the speed, the power, the agility. Hnnnnngggghhhh! I do wish they'd bring it back for another game. Maybe a NSMB with the Tanooki Suit, Squirrel Suit, Wing Cap, and Feather. It would be pretty interesting giving everyone a different means of flight.

The feather is so magnificently broken, yet you're still vulnerable enough that it never felt like too much, unless you can't resist just taking off over the entire stage, dipping and diving, sometimes it just takes over.
Then you jump on a Blue Yoshi with another feather in reserve and eat a yellow shell to gain both wings and stomp functions, that's when the line has been crossed into Super Mario God Mode, well outside of P wings and superstars at least.

Anyway I thought the Wingsuit was a nice continuation of the cape without being quite as game breaking yet still aerially potent if that makes sense.

Neff

A thread that so openly celebrates the creativity and genius of Mario should not be so quickly met with such cynicism and indifference.

Kokonoe

Banned
Still my favorite 2D Mario and the only thing that comes close is Mario 3, and even that's a good ways away. I recently did another 100% playthrough a few months ago and I forgot how hard this game can get, woo that was a doozy.

EU Club Nintendo here, sorry. It has been there for a while now. I think it's also available in Japan.

Has a pretty sweet looking box too.

=(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Best World 8 of the 2D Marios. Giant neon sign over Bowser's castle. Also, the music.

JazzmanZ

Wow Nintendo, another new Mario game? Don't you think you milked the series enough? We just got SMB3! Those graphics just look awful and lifeless, devoid of character unlike the stellar SMB3 or SMB2 Mario, and what's this high pitch DEEDEEDEE music? ugh.

I kid I kid

Best Mario game ever.

Cape is the greatest power up in all of videogames. Loved how it rewarded technique and skill, rather than just being a mash A to fly like the leaf in Mario 3. Please bring it back, Nintendo.

Brinbe

So glad I still have my childhood cart/SNES hooked up. SMW, along with SM64, are THE Mario games I grew up with and they'll always have a special place in my heart. Anyway, hope some younger gamers are introduced to it through this release.

Top Bottom