• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

No, some reviewers made mention of this as well. Seems to me this is a design flaw.

It's not a design flaw at all, it's nintendo being cheap.
There is plenty of space for a simple and small soft piece of material to help stop this issue but nintendo was cheap and opted for purely hard plastic.
It stands out as soon as you use it even once so they know.

Grief.exe

Those scratches look like the Switch was put into a Jean pocket with a metal button or with keys. I'm sceptical for two reasons.

1. There is a noticeable gap between the screen and dock.
  2. Plastic isn't hard enough to create deep gouges in glass like this on it's own. It could create scuffs, but not deep vertical gouges.

It's a glass screen, not plastic?

I believe it has to be glass since it's capacitive. WiiU's was plastic since it was resistive.

I believe it has to be glass since electrical signals would have trouble traveling through plastic.

Am I missing something or that small rubber pad can scratch screen now?

1i41cOs.jpg

Dragner

Thats why I wait for this console like I did with the 3DS. Im not going to be a betatester for Nintendo.

Im really interested on bring it with me for work(I have a 45 minute train ride) so being able to dock it safely is a big deal for me.

That looks like someone putting the damn thing in at a 30 degree angle and deliberately trying to damage it.

Seems like FUD trying to get clicks to me.

I'll report back later today when I have mine.

oh look people jumping to conclusions again to bash the switch, whats new

edit: and of course after this i somehow scratched the screen

Nabbis

Why wouldn't you buy a screen protector for this thing?

Why should a product be made in such a crappy manner that you need one? At least phones have better quality glass and don't get scratches in basic use unlike what seems to be the case here.

Acinixys

Cant you just mod your unit with a strip of black cotton glued to the inside of the dock

Not the greatest thing to do, but at least it will stop the scratching

Wil348

My Wii U stylus left a couple of deep scratches on the gamepad screen under normal usage. I was playing Mario Maker one day, dragging an item across the screen and it just scratched it.

Nintendo aren't great when it comes to this kind of thing. :/ I have a screen protector on my Switch but that thing is probably going to get scratched up.

Woffls

You would think the inner area of the dock where it slides into would have a thin layer of padding. But it's just regular plastic.

Strange oversight.
I assumed it would be this way. I guess it's a heat dissipation issue?

I'm pretty happy with the screen protector that came with my official case, so I guess I'll just have to always use one. Still very disappointing considering how well engineered the rest of the product seems to be.

Everyone needs to take a close look at the inside of their dock and then look at the pic of those scratches. That had to take a significant amount of force from wherever that happened. That's not from normal use.

First thing I worried about. It's as big of an oversight as the lack of bumpers on the PSVR for glasses-wearers. Yet another reason this will only see use from me as a console.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My Wii U stylus left a couple of deep scratches on the gamepad screen under normal usage. I was playing Mario Maker one day, dragging an item across the screen and it just scratched it.

Nintendo aren't great when it comes to this kind of thing. :/ I have a screen protector on my Switch but that thing is probably going to get scratched up.

All their previous screens were plastic and terrible.
If this is actually glass as everyone has told me it was, then it seems like something other than the plastic dock made those marks.

Vitacat

I have a screen protector on. But I'm also going to put strips of felt inside the dock so it slides in smooth with no chance of damage.

Top Bottom