• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

C_rh0xaUQAQ4buY.jpg

People always clear out of free play lobbies whenever I join, I just want to practice Tetris at like a 4000 level :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Playing Endless Tetris... currently paused at 926 lines (my previous best was 269), but I wanna go to sleep... so... x_x

Yeah, depending on how good you are, the Endless modes can easily be, well...endless. Hell, with Tiny Puyo you really don't even have to try. Last night I played Tiny Puyo on Medium and eventually I just got to the point where I was dropping pieces without rotating them, just moving left or right semi-randomly without any strategy or anything, and I still couldn't lose.

Also, on another note, I finally managed to break my 4-win record in Endurance. Got 8 wins! Feels pretty good to have been stuck at 4 wins for a while then out of nowhere be able to double it. :D

gaiages

Banned
PS4 players, how's the online looking? Is it a graveyard, or full with robot like super players? I want to get the online trophies but I also don't want to pay for PS+ if it's like impossible for me to get them.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i was disappointed that you cant play 2 player online (i think) but this appears to be a heat with the wife.

puyo > tetris

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, guess I'll go back to grinding for 100k puyos popped so I can get the platinum trophy.

Any tips, or is Big Bang still the best mode to grind? Feels so damn tedious, especially with how random the game can be with deciding if it wants to give you the piece you need on your first or fifth drop & mainly waiting for the chains to finish compared to Tetris, where you're always in control & it's easier/quicker to clear minos.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ugh, guess I'll go back to grinding for 100k puyos popped so I can get the platinum trophy.

Any tips, or is Big Bang still the best mode to grind? Feels so damn tedious, especially with how random the game can be with deciding if it wants to give you the piece you need on your first or fifth drop & mainly waiting for the chains to finish compared to Tetris, where you're always in control & it's easier/quicker to clear minos.

Endless Fever is probably marginally more effective than Big Bang. All Clears net you a larger boost for the next chain in that mode, so go for them when there's an obvious way to get it.

Cepheus

I have 129.5% completion in Story Mode now, and the only thing stopping me from getting 130% is 6-5. I can beat it fine, but I simply cannot get more than one star. It's the Party mission where Amitie and Sig both use Puyo mode. So frustrating...

And yeah, if you want to grind for credits to unlock everything in the shop, Endless Fever is the way to go.

So my copy arrived from Amazon today.

...I've never seen a more crushed box in my life. Forgive me for being petty but I HATE it when I get boxed games with any tears or crushed at all.

People always clear out of free play lobbies whenever I join, I just want to practice Tetris at like a 4000 level :(

I always make a room for Puyo with the Newbie tag and inevitably the first person to join is a Puyo master who destroys everybody :(

Has anyone used the Join Friend feature successfully? We create rooms online and yet never show up for each other. We have to go look in the specific game type.

StayDead

I always make a room for Puyo with the Newbie tag and inevitably the first person to join is a Puyo master who destroys everybody :(

Has anyone used the Join Friend feature successfully? We create rooms online and yet never show up for each other. We have to go look in the specific game type.

Works fine for me. You may need to just hit refresh.

febLey

The historian award won't unlock for me, played all adventure mode missions (Chapter 1 - 10) and completed them with at least 1 star. Any ideas, have I missed something?

Also some of those missions were insanely hard and I just completed them with a whole lot of luck.

gaiages

Banned
The historian award won't unlock for me, played all adventure mode missions (Chapter 1 - 10) and completed them with at least 1 star. Any ideas, have I missed something?

Also some of those missions were insanely hard and I just completed them with a whole lot of luck.

If you finished 7-10 and skipped any stages along the way, you have to beat 7-10 and watch the ending again. Worlds 8 through 10 don't count for that trophy.

I had the same problem as I skipped like 4 stages before beating the game, and only went back to them later :( 7-10 is pretty hard for me so I was less than happy lol

Meliora

Did they change the voices of the twin characters? Don't remember their names but they always had such annoying voices and sounds. Just played against someone using them and they said the same things, just in a way creepier and more flat tone. Their "Two is better than one!" was not as cheery for example.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Probably had the alt. voices unlocked, either from playing the story mode's extra chapters or buying them in the shop.

febLey

If you finished 7-10 and skipped any stages along the way, you have to beat 7-10 and watch the ending again. Worlds 8 through 10 don't count for that trophy.

I had the same problem as I skipped like 4 stages before beating the game, and only went back to them later :( 7-10 is pretty hard for me so I was less than happy lol
Ah thank you, I'll try this.

molnizzle

I'm gonna have to go back to the Puyo chaining tutorials cause Story mode and online players are slaughtering me.

Same. This is my first time playing Puyo and I absolutely hate it. Shit doesn't make any sense. Goal of games like this is to keep your board clear as much as possible, but this shit wants you to build combos. Absolutely maddening. I just don't get it.

I wish they coulda just made a Tetris game with a silly little story mode. This Puyo garbage isn't compatible with my brain.

Same. This is my first time playing Puyo and I absolutely hate it. Shit doesn't make any sense. Goal of games like this is to keep your board clear as much as possible, but this shit wants you to build combos. Absolutely maddening. I just don't get it.

I wish they coulda just made a Tetris game with a silly little story mode. This Puyo garbage isn't compatible with my brain.
Ah, but there's the flaw in your thinking: the goal of Puyo is to defeat your opponent, not to have a clear board

Stopdoor

Tetris is all about setup as well though? Single line clears would be the most efficient way to stay safe, but are worth nothing. The game incentivizes you to build with Tetrises, Back to Back Tetrises, Combos, and T-Spins.

molnizzle

Tetris is all about setup as well though? Single line clears would be the most efficient way to stay safe, but are worth nothing. The game incentivizes you to build with Tetrises, Back to Back Tetrises, Combos, and T-Spins.

I only ever played to try and get as many lines as possible.

gaiages

Banned
How do you unlock sanic?

Sanic blocks and puyos? You gotta play the post game Adventure Mode stuff, you unlock it at some point during those (I don't know when, I just saw it eventually in my customization options).

Real Sanic? Sorry, you're out of luck but I'm sure there's plenty of SonicxPuyo fanart to help you overcome that disappointment ;)

Fireblend

Banned

That's an unreasonable amount of hate to have for Puyo just because it plays differently. Plus like it was mentioned already, getting a highscore in Tetris has always been about making at least 4-line clears constantly, and now in its competitive iterations is also about setups, though less so than Puyo Puyo, admittedly.

You can get the hang of it fairly quickly, anyhow. I recommend checking out the Puyo Nexus Wiki guide, which introduces things at a reasonable pace. Just using the blocking method which is pretty intuitive should help you build 3 or 4-chains with ease. Or you could play fever mode to see some patterns that you can use while playing.

Peltz

Hm. Probably. I've never really played any of these games in a multiplayer setting.

Vs. Tetris also is not about keeping the board clear. It's about building up the board neatly then slotting in consecutive T-shaped pieces or long pieces to devastate your opponent (more or less, depending on how aggressive you want to be).

That's an unreasonable amount of hate to have for Puyo just because it plays differently. Plus like it was mentioned already, getting a highscore in Tetris has always been about making at least 4-line clears constantly, and now in its competitive iterations is also about setups, though less so than Puyo Puyo, admittedly.

You can get the hang of it fairly quickly, anyhow. I recommend checking out the Puyo Nexus Wiki guide, which introduces things at a reasonable pace. Just using the blocking method which is pretty intuitive should help you build 3 or 4-chains with ease. Or you could play fever mode to see some patterns that you can use while playing.
I really wish Big Bang did what some Fever games did on mild/sweet difficulties and stick a magic arrow at chain trigger points. It helped me a lot when learning how to chain

Berordn

I really wish Big Bang did what some Fever games did on mild/sweet difficulties and stick a magic arrow at chain trigger points. It helped me a lot when learning how to chain

Big Bang kind of ruined me on the other games. Attempting to go back to Fever mode made me realize how bad I actually am at it with how easy Big Bang's boards are to get all clears.

Top Bottom