• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mickey Mouse cartoons by Paul Rudish (Dexter's Lab, PowerPuff Girls etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallbaro

Banned
Way too much ADHD. The great shorts would let the jokes sink in, this one did not even let you think.

-Hope any other ones are better paced.

Will we ever see animation this good again? I know Disney doesn't have the will, but do they still have the talent?

Sure they do, but it's a matter of cultivating that talent into something that they're not interested in spending the money on. It's not a question of talent, but will and intent. They don't want to make that kind of dynamic animation anymore (nor is any other big studio).

Perfect. It's about time they do something cool like this that reminds me of the old cartoons. I showed it to the wife, who is a giant Disney fan, and she loved it. Really can't wait for Donald.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
FYI guys, they don't mention him in the press release (probably because nobody knows who the hell he is still) but Oswald is going to be in these shorts too. I'm not going to spoil them for you all but I've heard the plots for a few of his episodes and they sound hilarious.

Woohoo! I love Oswald.

Air

Banned
Hate the flash look, wish the design would be more current instead of retro based, but I'm glad they're actually using Mickey again. It was a nice short, and I wonder how the rest are going to come out.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The style is okay and I really like the colors. Other than that, I did not particularly like it. I'm with the poster who said everything was too bouncy.

Also, this is just a pet peeve because I'm French, but some of the actors were definitely not native speakers. Either that, or they don't know how to act in French, because Minnie and Daisy's acting and pronunciations sounded off.

Cool stuff here. It's nailed the spirit of the old cartoons, even without the old-style animation. This is something Disney should have been doing a long whiles ago, but better late than never!

That said, I'm not a fan of the Disney style anyway. The French baiting's a bit annoying and the animation could use off-model action too. But this is good and I'm looking forward to the rest, especially since at least one GAF guy's involved.

That was so awesome. Wow.

Interesting side note, even though the (limited) dialogue was French, I could tell those were the official current voice actors. I watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with my toddler son pretty often, and that was definitely them. Tress MacNeille is Daisy, and the others were the same, too.

Mickey changed recently, though. The guy who had voiced him for decades (beginning with Mickey's Christmas Carol in the early 80's) sadly passed away recently. His successor is really similar, but just slightly different delivery and inflections.

It'll be fun to hear them all in the rest of these shorts. Especially since I usually just hear them solving preschool problems and stuff.

Salsa

holy fuck I just found out about this and it is the best thing Disney has done with Mickey since.. ever. Also their best decision regarding cartoons in general. Cannot wait for more.

Is there a mirror for the video anywhere? I'm in the US, but for some reason, when I try to load the video, I get an error message that says "We're sorry, this video cannot be viewed outside the United States."

Raxus

holy fuck I just found out about this and it is the best thing Disney has done with Mickey since.. ever. Also their best decision regarding cartoons in general. Cannot wait for more.

I hope the gamble pays off for them. They have been hiring talented animators and producing some great stuff as of late. I can't wait for McCracken's cartoon.

I hate the tweener girl bullshit but the animation on this looks pretty low rent...

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The combo motion tween/skeletal rigging with frame-by-frame style is better than just straight up tweens. It still just doesn't look as good as the traditionally animated Disney shorts though.

Imagine if they were trying to animate it like The Big Band Concert or something. With modern techniques they could make the whole short look as good as the Gravity Falls Intro.

Still, I liked this and it's better than I probably could have realistically hoped for. But whenever I see one of the illustrations tween stretch instead of that good ol' cartooney rubbery motion I could only long for what was.

Texture work and backgrounds are incredible, though.

I saw production art for this in November of 2011 and I have had to keep my mouth shut for a year and a half and it has been TORTURE. Every few months I'd Google "new Mickey shorts" to see if they'd been announced yet so I could talk about them. I am SO FUCKING EXCITED for these. They nailed everything.

FYI guys, they don't mention him in the press release (probably because nobody knows who the hell he is still) but Oswald is going to be in these shorts too. I'm not going to spoil them for you all but I've heard the plots for a few of his episodes and they sound hilarious.

I think I recall seeing art for Horace and Clarabelle too, but I can't remember. But I am just so insanely happy that they've finally announced these and that they're as good as the art looked. Can't wait to go to the movies and see one of these playing before the feature.

REALLY hope they get some kind of home release, via iTunes, DVD, BluRay, whatever. I want them all in the best quality possible.

Heck yeah.

Heh, so Disney was lying when they recently said they had no 2D projects in production.

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking of this article which just said they weren't doing any films right now.

Tan

I saw production art for this in November of 2011 and I have had to keep my mouth shut for a year and a half and it has been TORTURE. Every few months I'd Google "new Mickey shorts" to see if they'd been announced yet so I could talk about them. I am SO FUCKING EXCITED for these. They nailed everything.

I think I recall seeing art for Horace and Clarabelle too, but I can't remember. But I am just so insanely happy that they've finally announced these and that they're as good as the art looked. Can't wait to go to the movies and see one of these playing before the feature.

REALLY hope they get some kind of home release, via iTunes, DVD, BluRay, whatever. I want them all in the best quality possible.

Whaaaaaat

Fuzz Rez

Banned
This is kinda cool but on the other hand Mickey is lame. When will Disney make 2d animation show based on works of Rosa and Barks!?

Heh, so Disney was lying when they recently said they had no 2D projects in production.

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking of this article which just said they weren't doing any films right now.
For what it's worth, that article is alarmist bullshit. Maybe there's nothing hand-drawn in development at this very moment but there are two upcoming Disney films that will be 2D - one with the Paperman tech and one that's actually a 2D traditionally animated film. Fittingly enough for this thread, the later will be a Mickey Mouse film.

Also of note, the guy who wrote "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" just submitted a pitch to Disney called "The Stooge" that pairs Mickey with Roger Rabbit on a sort of buddy-cop type comedy adventure. If it gets green lit, that will be 2D as well.

qindarka

Banned
For what it's worth, that article is alarmist bullshit. Maybe there's nothing hand-drawn in development at this very moment but there are two upcoming Disney films that will be 2D - one with the Paperman tech and one that's actually a 2D traditionally animated film. Fittingly enough for this thread, the later will be a Mickey Mouse film.

Also of note, the guy who wrote "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" just submitted a pitch to Disney called "The Stooge" that pairs Mickey with Roger Rabbit on a sort of buddy-cop type comedy adventure. If it gets green lit, that will be 2D as well.

Oh, last I heard from internet sources such as the TAG blog, that project was proposed but has been shelved. The Paperman tech is also technically CG.

This is kinda cool but on the other hand Mickey is lame. When will Disney make 2d animation show based on works of Rosa and Barks!?

Well, DuckTales is based on Barks's works. I understand that some purists dislike it, though.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Oh, last I heard from internet sources such as the TAG blog, that project was proposed but has been shelved. The Paperman tech is also technically CG.

Well, DuckTales is based on Barks's works. I understand that some purists dislike it, though.

I'm one of those purists and I pretend it doesn't even exist.

Yeah I know that the Paperman tech is technically CG but the movie it would be used on would LOOK 2D, that's what I meant. That's why I added the bit about the Mickey movie, since that would would be "real" 2D.

I don't know how recent TAG's info is but as of just a few months ago when I was asking my friends about it, it was still in planning. AFTER the Paperman movie is when they want to do the Mickey movie, so maybe that's what they mean by shelved? It's not in active development (making Iger's statement "true") but they're still planning to do it. From what I've been told by Disney animators themselves, weather or not a movie is done in 2D or CG is up to the director, not the board. 2D will return to Disney Feature Animation eventually. The next time I see my Disney friends I can ask them if they've heard of any updates on it!

Maybe if the Mickey shorts do really well it'll help boost interest in one if the two proposed Mickey movies? All I know is that 50+ theatrical features and not a single one of them starring their mascot is a damn crime.

qindarka

Banned
Yeah I know that the Paperman tech is technically CG but the movie it would be used on would LOOK 2D, that's what I meant. That's why I added the bit about the Mickey movie, since that would would be "real" 2D.

I don't know how recent TAG's info is but as of just a few months ago when I was asking my friends about it, it was still in planning. AFTER the Paperman movie is when they want to do the Mickey movie, so maybe that's what they mean by shelved? It's not in active development (making Iger's statement "true") but they're still planning to do it. From what I've been told by Disney animators themselves, weather or not a movie is done in 2D or CG is up to the director, not the board. 2D will return to Disney Feature Animation eventually. The next time I see my Disney friends I can ask them if they've heard of any updates on it!

Maybe if the Mickey shorts do really well it'll help boost interest in one if the two proposed Mickey movies? All I know is that 50+ theatrical features and not a single one of them starring their mascot is a damn crime.

Well, that is interesting and encouraging. How high up are your friends, though?

Technically Mickey was in a feature film before, in the Mickey and the Beanstalk segment of Fun and Fancy Free. Doesn't really count, I admit.

Just to clarify, my info dated back to October 18 2012.

Burny's project, beautifully drawn and filled with nice ideas, sits in his office.

Last time I talked to him, it was ... dormant.

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/search.html

Previous article on the subject:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/mickey-full-length.html

Lijik

Just saw this thanks to heads up on tumblr, holy shit Im in love. I love France so the backgrounds and overall atmoshphere really did it for me in this short. The art style is impeccable, I am in LOVE with the backgrounds (Divvy please send my compliments to the people that did those oh my lord). The gags are really fun, and the animation is as well (I think we're at a point where tween-based animation is really starting to look good. Its not crummy 2001 flash cartoons anymore!!) I was reading in an article that there are other world locations in future shorts, Im really excited! I remember watching the 2d cutscenes in Epic Mickey 2 and thinking "Man if they made a show like this, it'd be rad as hell" and this seems like it fits the bill and then some!

We did the animations for these at our studio. Been waiting for them to come out since they look fantastic.
Once again I just want to say you guys did an amazing job. Fantastic short, can't wait to see the rest of them!! My only question is will Os-
I feel like I've died and gone to Disney heaven. Can't wait

I was wondering when we were gonna get some "black and white" Mickey stuff beyond those naff games.
I've been seeing a lot of merch with retro inspired Mickey designs since Christmas. Mostly cards and things. They look really appealing!

I suppose Disney needs new character shorts after they destroyed their old ones.
Oh my god I forgot how bad this was. "Breakfast? MORE LIKE BLAM FEST"

I really hope this gets greenlit because the idea of a Roger Rabbit/Mickey Mouse buddy cop picture sounds AMAZING

Axiology

I suppose Disney needs new character shorts after they destroyed their old ones.

Holy shit I'm laughing my ass off.

It really comes off like a parody... like something you'd see on SNL or something. The faux "cool" voice of the narrator and sound of the rock music that's featured in pretty much everything directed towards 10 year old boys, the fact that it just keeps going on and on and gets worse every second. Seriously, this would be a work of genius if it was intentional. Unfortunately, it's just sad.

Well, that is interesting and encouraging. How high up are your friends, though?

Technically Mickey was in a feature film before, in the Mickey and the Beanstalk segment of Fun and Fancy Free. Doesn't really count, I admit.

Just to clarify, my info dated back to October 18 2012.

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/search.html

Previous article on the subject:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/mickey-full-length.html

It reads like those are two separate projects, Burny's and someone else's. It looks like Burny's was the one I've heard the most about, the trio going on an adventure together. I wonder which project my friends were referring to? Maybe the second one from the unnamed director got further into development, or perhaps since October of last year Burny's has been given another look? I'll have to find out the next time I talk to them.

As for how high up my friends are, different levels. I personally know a few animators and boarders at Disney TV and Feature Animation, a couple editors that work on Disney shows for Titmouse, as well as Alex Hirsch (Gravity Falls). I have one very, very well connected friend that has buddies in all kinds of places, though. He's seen development art of Disney features FAR in the future, some stuff that may never get out of pre-production, etc. He's seen some of the other Mickey shorts too, that's how I know about the Oswald episodes (when I saw the production art, there was nothing about Oswald, just pictures of the typical gang and things like Mickey wearing a serape while riding a horse through the desert.) He's also how I found out about why Brave went through story changes and had so much slapstick comedy added to it, and how Wreck-It Ralph was being changed and worked on up to almost the 11th hour.

I should be seeing a bunch of them in the next week or two so I'll ask if they've heard anything new on the Mickey feature projects, now that there are apparently three in various stages of development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom