• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentenza

It's the ease of porting xbox code to PC I reckon.
Well, who cares? You don't save money including something no one wants.
Especially when the unpopularity of that service will probably cost you more money and lost sales of what you're actually saving.

I won't lie saying that now I'm not interested in the game anymore, because I am.
But now I know for a fact that the multiplayer for this game will be dead on arrival, as it comes on a service that virtually no one likes to use.

So do we know if they locked resolution and framerate or not ?

No matter how much i'm interested in game being capped to 30fps at 720p is unacceptable.

Glass Rebel

Especially when the unpopularity of that service will probably cost you more money and lost sales of what you're actually saving.

I won't lie saying that now I'm not interested in the game anymore, because I am.
But now I know for a fact that the multiplayer for this game will be dead on arrival, as it comes on a service that virtually no one likes to use.

I just can't imagine Steamworks being so hard to implement. The moment they need to put a patch through MS they will realize how much they fucked up.

Aaron

I just can't imagine Steamworks being so hard to implement. The moment they need to put a patch through MS they will realize how much they fucked up.
You're right, you can't imagine it because you have no idea how hard network code is. Unless you're a developer using steamworks for multiplayer you really shouldn't be judging how easy / hard it is to do.

Jintor

I think the GFWL backlash is big, but I don't think it's cost-them-sales big.

Glass Rebel

You're right, you can't imagine it because you have no idea how hard network code is. Unless you're a developer using steamworks for multiplayer you really shouldn't be judging how easy / hard it is to do.

My point still stands, it would be a good investment both for gamers and developers when they want to support it in the future.

Sentenza

It isn't. Especially considering how if you want to implement it you can have Valve free support over the task.

Vaporak

Says who?
It sold scraps on 360 anyway. How can you be sure the PC version won't top that?

Says history, late ports basically never sell as well as the original release. Businesses should just be realistic about this.

I think the GFWL backlash is big, but I don't think it's cost-them-sales big.

Eh I think it is, GFWL is pretty unpopular and Steamworks is very popular. I won't try and generalize my position, but I'm not day 1ing this anymore since the GFWL announcement, it's firmly in "when it's on sale for cheap" territory now because of problems I've had with GFWL in the past.

zkylon

zkylewd
Glad to hear the console guys will get their due DLC as well, because this allows me as a PC gamer to whine on how we always get the shortest straw :D

GFWL has stopped me from buying games I really wanted in the past (Arkham City), but I won't be as strong this time...

Aaron

My point still stands, it would be a good investment both for gamers and developers when they want to support it in the future.
Unless you know the cost of the implementation and projected sales of the PC version you can't say that. You can say you'd want it, but you can't say it would be good for developers unless you know they'd make a return on the sunk cost. I'm sure the developers have a far better idea of that than anyone else.

Arkham City is fine after the patch. I've had problems with GFWL before, but AC has been no issues.

Sentenza

Says history, late ports basically never sell as well as the original release. Businesses should just be realistic about this.
Still, it sold poorly on 360, and it's a genre very popular on PC.
Let me be as clear as I can get: if this was a decent port and a Steamworks title I would bet big money on the PC version outselling the 360 one and maybe -MAYBE- even paired or topped the PS3 version.

Now, with what they said about the straight port and GFWL in, I'm really not so sure anymore.

Sentenza

I'm sure the developers have a far better idea of that than anyone else.

Judging by how they handled this, I' mquite sure that they don't.
In fact, I would go so far to say they seem quite clueless about how to approach the PC market.

jyx

Fantastic news!!! Will buy DLC day one. In my opinion Dark souls is the best game released this generation. Pure game heaven!!!! :)

Glass Rebel

Unless you know the cost of the implementation and projected sales of the PC version you can't say that. You can say you'd want it, but you can't say it would be good for developers unless you know they'd make a return on the sunk cost. I'm sure the developers have a far better idea of that than anyone else.

Arkham City is fine after the patch. I've had problems with GFWL before, but AC has been no issues.

Steamworks is free, you get Valve support and you don't have to run your patches through MS' lengthy and expensive certification process. They would get familiar with the system for future games and garner a lot of goodwill from the PC base. It's a no-brainer really if you're serious about PC development unless you have your own system like Rockstar. You're right, I don't know the costs but I know that more and more PC developers are moving away from GFWL and towards Steamworks unless they're MS funded indies or Capcom.

Also, from my experience with the service, Arkham City is fine despite GFWL, not thanks to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom