• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Smokey

Might be a long shot, but anybody else playing Madden 18 in HDR on a B6 OLED? In HDR Game mode it looks MUCH darker than standard HDR, and this is the only game where this is such a drastic difference. Because of that it's bothering tf out of me. Every other HDR game looks great.

Wiped89

Besides Horizon, which other games are excellent to showcase the power of the pro?

My favourite Pro experiences (on LG OLED) have been: Wipeout, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and F1 2017. The latter actually looks pretty close to a TV broadcast (especially as F1 is broadcast in 1080i here, but the game runs in gorgeous 4K)

So my wife surprised me with a PS4 Pro today, and we just bought a 4K Tv with HDR last night. I haven't played anything yet. What should my first game be?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So my wife surprised me with a PS4 Pro today, and we just bought a 4K Tv with HDR last night. I haven't played anything yet. What should my first game be?

Horizon Zero Dawn is a good first game to utilize both the Pro and your UHD TV.

Infamous Second Son and it's DLC First Light are great for HDR showcase.

Might be a long shot, but anybody else playing Madden 18 in HDR on a B6 OLED? In HDR Game mode it looks MUCH darker than standard HDR, and this is the only game where this is such a drastic difference. Because of that it's bothering tf out of me. Every other HDR game looks great.

I have an E6 and it looks amazing. Madden and Battlefield have the best HDR to date imo.

So, two games not on either the Boost Mode or regular list (for perhaps unsurprising reasons), that I wanted to try and capture some screenshots for: Yakuza Ishin! and Tales of Zestiria (PS4 Version).
Thanks so much for this! I don't suppose it would be possible for you to capture some footage from them? Obviously neither game has official Pro support, but since they also aren't dynamic resolution then screenshots are very unlikely to show Boost Mode improvements. Stability of framerate is where most of that benefit happens, so even just short videos would allow me to check fps (resolution doesn't matter). It's be especially helpful if you captured stuff from a definite point in the game (chapter start, etc.) so I can compare against existing Youtube videos.

Anyone know if south park has pro support?
I have not been able to find any claims anywhere by the developer that it does. But this isn't totally uncommon, even for games that do have support.

I've added Don't Knock Twice to the main list and VR, and Gran Turismo to the main list. (GT has no direct VR comparisons yet as far as I'm aware.) I also made a couple changes. Any help or links you can give, especially about the claimed-but-not-checked games in the OP, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Ghost Recon Wildlands

Those would be my top three in regards to 4K/HDR visuals on PS4 Pro.

Fukuzatsu

Thanks so much for this! I don't suppose it would be possible for you to capture some footage from them? Obviously neither game has official Pro support, but since they also aren't dynamic resolution then screenshots are very unlikely to show Boost Mode improvements. Stability of framerate is where most of that benefit happens, so even just short videos would allow me to check fps (resolution doesn't matter). It's be especially helpful if you captured stuff from a definite point in the game (chapter start, etc.) so I can compare against existing Youtube videos.

Unfortunately the prohibition of sharing functionality on PS4 extends to footage as well, and I don't own a capture card.

With regard to the framerate, these are both cross-gen (and similar ports to Ishin can be found in Zero and Kiwami), so I don't suspect much in the way of frame drops or tearing.

The only alternative I can think of would be capturing footage via remote play on my PC, but would that be helpful?

The only alternative I can think of would be capturing footage via remote play on my PC, but would that be helpful?
If it's not too much trouble, sure. The compression artifacts and so on of remote play don't really matter when all I'm trying to determine is the framerate. I would ask that you play the same segment directly on the console just before or after, to make sure the network isn't notably altering the framerate.

I understand completely if you don't have the time or inclination to do this, and really appreciate your input no matter your choice. Thanks!

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Fukuzatsu

If it's not too much trouble, sure. The compression artifacts and so on of remote play don't really matter when all I'm trying to determine is the framerate. I would ask that you play the same segment directly on the console just before or after, to make sure the network isn't notably altering the framerate.

I understand completely if you don't have the time or inclination to do this, and really appreciate your input no matter your choice. Thanks!

I'll give it a shot after I get home then. In the mean time, here are a few others (Japanese MMOs), which also don't appear to have Pro support as far as far as I know, but seem to run at 1080p60 in Boost Mode. These don't have sharing restrictions so I should be able to eventually get footage as well.

Dynasty Warriors Online Z:
4mzLEhq.jpg

hCCo4eC.jpg

Monster Hunter Frontier Z:

Phantasy Star Online 2:

Fukuzatsu

Whatever happened to Sony mandating all games released after the Pro is out must have Pro support on launch? Or am I misremembering?

I don't think it was ever a mandate, except maybe for Sony games. Hell, even then if I recall correctly Nathan Drake Collection still doesn't have a Pro patch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Those screenshots are native 2160p according to my pixel count.

Huh.

Is the actual TV show even rendered in 4K I wonder.

As pointed above, mouths and font looks like it didn't get the 4k treatment, weird. I'd imagine font and UI should be the easiest thing to draw in 4K

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
I have no idea why mouths and fonts have such low res, it's really weird.
--
EDIT: The sharks in the first pitcture (bottom left) seem low res too, maybe some elements aren't running in real-time? I'm gonna wait for people more competent than me for a definite answer.
--
This is a 20 pixels sample, easy to see the 2160 here.

gMGSsNa.jpg

onQ123

I have no idea why mouths and fonts have such low res, it's really weird.
--
EDIT: The sharks in the first pitcture (bottom left) seem low res too, maybe some elements aren't running in real-time? I'm gonna wait for people more competent than me for a definite answer.
--
This is a 20 pixels sample, easy to see the 2160 here.

gMGSsNa.jpg

Pixel counting only tell you that it's 4K but it don't tell you what method is being used so it could be Checkerboard rendering , Geometry rendering or some other technique.

RedAndromeda

Neo Member
Yes, that's why i edited that it's better to way for more competent people, this game doesn't seem to have a clear cut answer about its resolution.

Tyaren

Anyone know if Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition will bring Pro support?

It will have a new physical release, right? Then I'm pretty confident it will receive a patch. Finally... I might even give it another try. Other than the very lacking single player content at release it was also its ugly look on PS4 that lead me to drop the game after a couple of weeks. That aggressive shadow dithering all over the characters... D:

Race The Sun just got a Pro patch bringing native 4K support.
Thanks! Do you happen to have the game, or just saw the news about patch 1.03? There are no screenshots out there I can find yet.

South Park is PS4 pro enhanced. It's on the box, but I can't find anything in options for graphical settings.

I'm on a 1080p tv btw.
Would it be possible for you to take a 4K screenshot and post it? You can post to cubeupload or abload. (A JPEG is fine, if a PNG is too big.)

Pixel counting only tell you that it's 4K but it don't tell you what method is being used so it could be Checkerboard rendering , Geometry rendering or some other technique.
In a strict sense, of course pixel counting can only tell you the resolution; that's all that it was designed to do! However, it's not true that pixel-counting-esque techniques of analyzing the image can't tell how it was rendered. Our analysis must be provisional, since we don't have direct knowledge (and because that's just good method). But we don't have to throw our hands in the air.

Every game for which we've gotten sufficient testing material has settled on an answer, though there may be differing opinions at first. It's important to note how disagreement proceeds. When multiple answers are given, back-and-forth in the form of closeups and explicit hypotheses ensues. Some of this information convinces others, and the level of disagreement diminishes. This iterates until a consensus answer emerges, on the strength of convincing evidential data.

To the best of my knowledge, only conjectures by individuals have ever been overturned later; analyses agreed to by multiple parties have never been. no such endstate agreement has ever been overturned by new data. Even if they had--or hidden error persists undetected right now--it's clear that such issues aren't rampant across the whole field. (There's no crisis of confidence in PC graphical analysis sites that've been running for years, for example.)

The game to hand is no different. After analysis, my strong belief is that SPTFBW is using 4K geometry rendering. The vast majority of objects onscreen have single-pixel detail at 3840x2160, even including some details on characters. In a game those would normally be textures, which geometry rendering could not achieve the higher res for. However, South Park (the show) uses rendered geometry for these details, down to individual lines, and TFBW does too--in fact, they directly brought over the show's animation rigging. (Stick of Truth used a different approach.)

My conjecture is that mouths (and blinking eyes) actually are animated textures, though, which is why they resolve at quarter-resolution. The same is true of some other elements, such as the chalk drawing in the screenshots, and some text that's actually flat texture billboards. (Other UI elements, such as button prompts and meters, are at full res.)

The noise textures used to "push" the level geometry perceptually back from the characters and props also overwhelmingly resolve at quarter-res. There is single-pixel detail scattered sparingly in them, but I think this might be due to full-res post-process AA (which also causes displaced pixels at probable vertices).

In other words, there's plenty of evidence to strongly suggest exactly what method the game is using. Now, I have no training in this field, so you should take my conclusions as tentatively as that warrants. But it would be perverse to pretend that all possible answers as to how TFBW achieves its ends are still equally possible. There is evidence, even in as little as two screenshots, that heavily constrains our analysis.

Smokey

I have an E6 and it looks amazing. Madden and Battlefield have the best HDR to date imo.

Are you using it in HDR Game Mode and not standard HDR mode? It looks fine in the standard HDR Modes (Vivid, Bright, Standard), but really dark and dull in HDR Game.

HDR Game Mode is dimmer than Standard. Try this guy's settings. They are VERY good IMO. https://www.avforums.com/threads/best-settings-for-oled-2016-hdr-game.2121116/

Yeah I'm aware of this. My HDR Game Mode settings are based off these, with a few modifications. Madden is the only one that looks darker and more dull compared to other games that I run in the mode, to the point that something doesn't seem right.

It will have a new physical release, right? Then I'm pretty confident it will receive a patch. Finally... I might even give it another try. Other than the very lacking single player content at release it was also its ugly look on PS4 that lead me to drop the game after a couple of weeks. That aggressive shadow dithering all over the characters... D:

Gave up hope on this a long time ago.

Would it be possible for you to take a 4K screenshot and post it? You can post to cubeupload or abload. (A JPEG is fine, if a PNG is too big.)

I don't have a 4k tv so I can't. There are no graphical options in the game other than a brightness slider and I don't have a normal ps4 to compare it against so not sure if it even benefits 1080p users on this game.

onQ123

Thanks! Do you happen to have the game, or just saw the news about patch 1.03? There are no screenshots out there I can find yet.

In a strict sense, of course pixel counting can only tell you the resolution; that's all that it was designed to do! However, it's not true that pixel-counting-esque techniques of analyzing the image can't tell how it was rendered. Our analysis must be provisional, since we don't have direct knowledge (and because that's just good method). But we don't have to throw our hands in the air.

Every game for which we've gotten sufficient testing material has settled on an answer, though there may be differing opinions at first. It's important to note how disagreement proceeds. When multiple answers are given, back-and-forth in the form of closeups and explicit hypotheses ensues. Some of this information convinces others, and the level of disagreement diminishes. This iterates until a consensus answer emerges, on the strength of convincing evidential data.

To the best of my knowledge, only conjectures by individuals have ever been overturned later; analyses agreed to by multiple parties have never been. no such endstate agreement has ever been overturned by new data. Even if they had--or hidden error persists undetected right now--it's clear that such issues aren't rampant across the whole field. (There's no crisis of confidence in PC graphical analysis sites that've been running for years, for example.)

The game to hand is no different. After analysis, my strong belief is that SPTFBW is using 4K geometry rendering. The vast majority of objects onscreen have single-pixel detail at 3840x2160, even including some details on characters. In a game those would normally be textures, which geometry rendering could not achieve the higher res for. However, South Park (the show) uses rendered geometry for these details, down to individual lines, and TFBW does too--in fact, they directly brought over the show's animation rigging. (Stick of Truth used a different approach.)

My conjecture is that mouths (and blinking eyes) actually are animated textures, though, which is why they resolve at quarter-resolution. The same is true of some other elements, such as the chalk drawing in the screenshots, and some text that's actually flat texture billboards. (Other UI elements, such as button prompts and meters, are at full res.)

The noise textures used to "push" the level geometry perceptually back from the characters and props also overwhelmingly resolve at quarter-res. There is single-pixel detail scattered sparingly in them, but I think this might be due to full-res post-process AA (which also causes displaced pixels at probable vertices).

In other words, there's plenty of evidence to strongly suggest exactly what method the game is using. Now, I have no training in this field, so you should take my conclusions as tentatively as that warrants. But it would be perverse to pretend that all possible answers as to how TFBW achieves its ends are still equally possible. There is evidence, even in as little as two screenshots, that heavily constrains our analysis.

I know I was just pointing out that the pixel count don't tell if it's 1:1 sampled 4K because even the undersampled techniques show the same pixel count of 4K.

Edit:
Also my guess would also be geometry rendering because it make sense to use it with a game like this.

I don't have a 4k tv so I can't. There are no graphical options in the game other than a brightness slider and I don't have a normal ps4 to compare it against so not sure if it even benefits 1080p users on this game.
You having a 1080p display is exactly why I could use a screenshot from you! It'll tell us whether the game downsamples or not. You can still set your Pro to take 4K screenshots, even if the video output is 1080p. The absolute best would be from the same area as ToiJu did, but anything is fine if that's not possible.

I know I was just pointing out that the pixel count don't tell if it's 1:1 sampled 4K because even the undersampled techniques show the same pixel count of 4K.
Sure, "pixel counting" in the sense of steps-over-pixels ratio only gives us the resolution. But people sometimes use "pixel counting" in the general sense of looking closely at screenshots, and I wanted to get across that your point doesn't apply to that larger meaning. There's no reason to strongly doubt analysis, provided there's multiple sources for it.

Also my guess would also be geometry rendering because it make sense to use it with a game like this.
This is exactly the kind of imprecise language I was working against, which can cast undue doubt in people's minds (even if, as I surmise, you didn't mean it that way). My analysis could be very wrong, but it isn't a guess. I'm not saying that out of wounded pride, it's just a description of my post's character. It's based on explicit evidence from the game.

vkbest

According Eurogamer GT Sport performance mode is 1080p MSSA 8x. But on the list is 1440p MSSA 2x. Where op did get that info?

According Eurogamer GT Sport performance mode is 1080p MSSA 8x. But on the list is 1440p MSSA 2x. Where op did get that info?
Well I botched that! This is purely a mistake, I copy and paste these blocks as I build for new games, and I didn't change everything after I did.

It's fixed now. There's no 1440p mode, and the standard PS4 is 2xMSAA, while the Pro--in quality mode, when set to 1080p--is 8xMSAA. I'm really sorry for the error.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

actually its just the old SF5 with a download code in there to save on costs...not a "new physical release"

Well I botched that! This is purely a mistake, I copy and paste these blocks as I build for new games, and I didn't change everything after I did.

It's fixed now. There's no 1440p mode, and the standard PS4 is 2xMSAA, while the Pro--in quality mode, when set to 1080p--is 8xMSAA. I'm really sorry for the error.

Thanks for this awesome thread! I just noticed that Everybody's Golf has a little dot next to the 1080p60 mode meaning that it has to be forced through the OS. You can actually change these setttings in the game menu and favor 60fps even if you have a 4k display.

Top Bottom