• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flame in the Flood has its best debut on Switch - "Smashed expectations"

Owensboro

I wonder if the psychology of the Switch being a portable as well as a home console is helping these games sell more than other platforms (in addition to the current lack of massive competition, of course). People always scoff at indies being part of PS+ and Games with Gold because they bought their machines to play "AAA Games not indie crap". I've always been more comfortable with buying smaller / indie games on handhelds myself, and given the choice right now I'd always prefer to buy them on the Switch just because of the portability of it (and because I'm travelling more).

There’s over 170 games on the eShop and Switch is only 7 months old. The time for this excuse has passed.

You're aware that 170 games is a limited number ? Especially since you factor basically EVERYTHING ?
There's no excuse in saying the competition on Switch is far lower, with so many games skipping the platform.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's a pretty cool game. Glad to see it finding success on Switch.

The game looks like this ingame ? Never even heard of this title...lol all these Indie Switch success stories, its difficult to keep track.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I was contemplating getting it last night but reviews turned me off. Lack of a decent story mode and clunky menus put me off. I'm glad it's doing well though, it looked really interesting. I'm just not into roguelikes too much and already have a decent backlog on my Switch and PC.

A side not Nintendo needs to upgrade their eshop. There is too many games on there is there is no way of knowing the full catalog. The eshop doesn't advertise games or have specific categories for people to browse.

Hero

And we'll still have the same discussions:
Every devs dont have the same expectations/Selling more than unkown amount isn't a specific data.

And yes, it remains a fact that Switch is still a young platform with a small library. It's easier for Flame in the Flood to exist here because the competition is far smaller.

This 'logic' is why all those third party games that released on Wii U sold so well, right?

A side not Nintendo needs to upgrade their eshop. There is too many games on there is there is no way of knowing the full catalog. The eshop doesn't advertise games or have specific categories for people to browse.

I think you get categories if you go to Search, but yeh, you shouldn't have to go to search in the first place.

Not for long if this keeps up.

Well, more indies will come for sure. Will it reach the same state as other platforms ? Maybe. But once it happens, competition will be bigger for sales attention.

This 'logic' is why all those third party games that released on Wii U sold so well, right?

That's a simple reasoning. A doesnt necessarily apply to B. First of all, Wii U problems were different. Second, some 3rd parties (like Shovel Knight) did sold better on Wii U than PS4 for exemple.

mclem

I do think, like the vita, there is an appeal to indie sized games on a portable system. The switch really is the next fluid move for vita users.

I think the Switch benefits - from an indie dev perspective - from effectively being like a Vita *combined* with a Vita TV, so buying for portability doesn't also preclude big-screen play. It's certainly appealing.

People buy what interests them. Most Wii U third party games were unappealing downgrades (with some exceptions obviously). I agree, limited choice doesn't have to mean people will buy anything. Heck, we're getting like a dozen eShop games every week. We buy what we want to buy.

I think you get categories if you go to Search, but yeh, you shouldn't have to go to search in the first place.
Yeah you shouldn't have to do that. You should go on there and hey there's a section for recommended games or there's a section for $19.99 games or less.

Nintendo knows how to do it they have it on previous systems.

Zukkoyaki

A fresh platform with an enthusiastic audience plus accumulated word of mouth from releasing on other platforms makes for a fine stew.

I wonder if the psychology of the Switch being a portable as well as a home console is helping these games sell more than other platforms (in addition to the current lack of massive competition, of course). People always scoff at indies being part of PS+ and Games with Gold because they bought their machines to play "AAA Games not indie crap". I've always been more comfortable with buying smaller / indie games on handhelds myself, and given the choice right now I'd always prefer to buy them on the Switch just because of the portability of it (and because I'm travelling more).

I think it's exactly that, but not even necessarily on a psychological level. Rather, it could very well be down to very understandable hard time restrictions. People typically don't have as much time to game on a TV bound console as they do on a console that doesn't require the use of a TV.

When you have more time to game on a device, you will play your games more, beat them more quickly, and then want more games once you're done. That's how I've wound up with 25 Switch games in 7ish months.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Well, more indies will come for sure. Will it reach the same state as other platforms ? Maybe. But once it happens, competition will be bigger for sales attention.
Yes, gamesindustry.biz had a great article about it. On the other hand these record sales on Switch happen, despite a very limited installed base.

What if Switch keeps on growing, selling 10 times more than the 6/7 millions units out there so far?
There's a case to be made the switch is the ideal form factor to consume indie games. If it turns out to be a shared feeling, indies are in for a treat, and for a long time.

Hero

That's a simple reasoning. A doesnt necessarily apply to B. First of all, Wii U problems were different. Second, some 3rd parties (like Shovel Knight) did sold better on Wii U than PS4 for exemple.

So if A doesn't necessarily apply to B, then why do you act like B applies to A? You can't have it apply only when you want it to support your own argument. At some point there will be many more titles and discovery will potentially be an issue and there will be a point in time when not every release will be a smashing success. That goes without saying, because any platform has that, so why does it matter for you to come into a thread and spout that off when we're seven months into the release of a new product and many indie developers/publishers are finding success?

People buy what interests them. Most Wii U third party games were unappealing downgrades (with some exceptions obviously). I agree, limited choice doesn't have to mean people will buy anything. Heck, we're getting like a dozen eShop games every week. We buy what we want to buy.

So what you're saying is that Switch owners are buying these indie games that get released on the platform because it interests them?

erikNORML

Neo Member
Never thought I'd even think it, but as a person with only a limited amount of time to game, I almost miss the drip feed on WiiU!

Trying hard to finish up Mario + Rabbids and Metroid: SR before Mario hits, which is a challenge in and of itself. Much less when I have painfully strong urges to get all these great indies like Steamworld, Stardew, Golf Story, and now this...

Looks really cool and has peaked my interest. Now just almost hoping for a slower Jan/Feb for big releases so I can dive in to these other games (but of course even if I have Mario wrapped up I'll be hit with DOOM, Skyrim, Xenoblade, FE:W, and a few others around Christmas)

LordRaptor

For people that frame the Switch in terms of "What do you prefer, portability or graphics?" the reality is that for most indies theres no 'sacrifice' to be made to have both.

As a multiplatform owner and someone who plays Switch almost exclusively on the television, I'll tell you why I buy every indie on Switch.

Sleep mode.

PS4 and XB1 have sleep modes and they're great. You're usually back into a game within 30 seconds or less. Edit - (This isn't entirely accurate, as I've since found out. It's more like 15 seconds or so on PS4 if you directly power down your system from the game itself, without exiting to the home menu first.) But due to Switch's hybrid nature, sleep mode has to be near instant or it loses its portable appeal. Because of this, I'm back into my game within 5-10 seconds. This is pretty huge for me. It makes playing for 5-10 minutes at a time effortless and I've finished many games on this system because of it. I enjoy long gaming sessions, but most of the time it's easier for me to just play for a few minutes at a time.

Most indies are perfect for bit-sized play and Switch is such a great fit for these games, even if you use the system mainly as a home console. If you use the device as a portable (or both), it's an absolute no-brainer.

Realeza

Banned
It's a pretty cool game. Glad to see it finding success on Switch.

the-flame-in-the-flood-scout_camp_a-940x528.png

Flame-Flood-February-24.jpg

That looks sick. Another game to the wishlist.

#starvingboyz

I hadnt even heard of it til it popped up on the eshop yesterday, dont think it even had a listing on the coming soon page before (why would any game not do also why is the eurpean coming soon page so much more used) but it looks great, if i wasnt skint I'd have bought it

Ironically, these success stories would dwindle if that were to happen.

Obviously. But if there are enough people buying these smaller games as these several and counting examples lead us to believe, then there's a userbase there that these smaller devs have little reason to ignore.

And of course you know that the userbase will also be rapidly increasing over the coming years. If I'm an indie dev, I would be kicking myself for not getting my game ported over sooner, not wondering what the system will be like in 2019/20/21. What Playtonic for example must be feeling for not getting Yooka-Laylee out before Mario eh? It should still sell well, but man they must be regretting not capitalising on the 3D platformer hype sooner.

rudger

Honestly, at this point I’m not sure why I’d buy a game on PS4 or Xbox if it exists on PC and Switch as well. I would rather have the flexibility of PC or portability of the Switch. Switch is proving to offer a very good value proposition.

jrDev

Yes, part of my pickups for this month. I will do so next week after getting (trying to) through golf story.

Yes, gamesindustry.biz had a great article about it. On the other hand these record sales on Switch happen, despite a very limited installed base.

What if Switch keeps on growing, selling 10 times more than the 6/7 millions units out there so far?
There's a case to be made the switch is the ideal form factor to consume indie games. If it turns out to be a shared feeling, indies are in for a treat, and for a long time.

There's a case to be made indeed. But there's also concrete datas. You'll notice most, if not all these success stories are about "launch/better than X platform" with very few instance of concrete numbers.

So if A doesn't necessarily apply to B, then why do you act like B applies to A? You can't have it apply only when you want it to support your own argument. At some point there will be many more titles and discovery will potentially be an issue and there will be a point in time when not every release will be a smashing success. That goes without saying, because any platform has that, so why does it matter for you to come into a thread and spout that off when we're seven months into the release of a new product and many indie developers/publishers are finding success?

I never said that. I said the competition on Switch is smaller. It's true that Switch doesn't offer, yet, the same range of game as other platforms. It does indeed explain why some indies can make a better place for themselves. Now lack of competition being positive on Switch doesn't apply to lack of competition not doing shit for Wii U.

Also, you can also read my post: I'm answering to someone who's going on an ironical "but I thought Switch had no games" tirade, to prevent criticism, as if saying the competition on Switch is fairly limited was some sort of dumb statement.

HylianTom

Banned
As a multiplatform owner and someone who plays Switch almost exclusively on the television, I'll tell you why I buy every indie on Switch.

Sleep mode.

PS4 and XB1 have sleep modes and they're great. You're usually back into a game within 30 seconds or less. But due to Switch's hybrid nature, sleep mode has to be near instant or it loses its portable appeal. Because of this, I'm back into my game within 5-10 seconds. This is pretty huge for me. It makes playing for 5-10 minutes at a time effortless and I've finished many games on this system because of it. I enjoy long gaming sessions, but most of the time it's easier for me to just play for a few minutes at a time.

Most indies are perfect for bit-sized play and Switch is such a great fit for these games, even if you use the system mainly as a home console. If you use the device as a portable (or both), it's an absolute no-brainer.

I’m with you.. >95% of my play time is on the TV. I adore the ability to pick up my pro controller, hit the Home button, and within seconds my TV has turned on, with the input automatically turned to the Switch, and with my game on the screen, ready to go.

zelas

I'm curious if a lot of these games are seeing more success simply because the handheld nature of the Switch suits indie games? Especially because a lot of them wont destroy your battery like the bigger games do.
GI.biz just had a recent article explaining that it was the lack of competition compared to other marketplaces.

tebunker

Banned
This is a great game and it's probably he first time I really want to double dip. The portable nature of the switch makes it more appealing than playing pc.

Also I technically got it for free on steam thanks to a sale and idlemaster, so I guess I could use some of my real money on this.

This bears repeating because it's obviously the whole truth:

People are exaggerating. Indies are selling now because Switch owners are literally starving for content. They call the left and right joycons the fork and spoon. Switch carrying cases are known as fridges. The eShop is also called "The Soup Kitchen" and eShop cards are ration tickets. DLC is a second helping.

WestEgg

Ironically, these success stories would dwindle if that were to happen.

Reverse Tinkerbell Effect. The more people believe something, the less true it becomes. Like it's safe to drive recklessly because car accidents are uncommon, a belief that would lead to more car accidents.

Having said that, I'm not sure if this qualifies if the Switch user base continues to grow and support games as they release. Certainly there's only so much attention and money to go around, but hopefully as one person is sated for a while, another buys a Switch and wants to check out the recent releases...

GI.biz just had a recent article explaining that it was the lack of competition compared to other marketplaces.

"Explaining"?

That was a reason that developers gave, sure. But it's silly to pretend the form factor has no bearing on this either. I mean, the Vita had (and has) enormous success with indies too, even years after launch. Most indies are just very well suited to handheld gaming.

That's absolutely a big part of it.

However, I don't think it tells the whole story and I predict that while anecdotes of new indie releases that "smashed" expectations will become less common as time goes on, the eShop will continue to be an extremely healthy platform for independent studios and the majority of them will be pleased with their sales on the system.

Top Bottom