• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT16| The Last Thread🛈

shira

DQULUjWUMAAa72n.jpg

Herald: Themed after Tango.
Guardian: Themed after Stout Shield
Crusader: Themed after Ring of Aquila
Archon: Themed after Eul's Scepter
Legend: Themed after Black King Bar
Ancient: Themed after Manta Style
Divine: Themed after Divine Rapier

shira

Are you a noob trying to learn Dota? Famous community member Purge has made a new ongoing series "how to play"

shira

Bulldong clip is an excellent reaction as he didn't know where Universe Dark Rifted to.
He was ready to call it for Secret when Envy died without buyback.

so it's been a while since I touched DOTA2, what's the deal with the DOTA2+ thing? any TL: DR version? is it purely a money grab kinda move or is there any real value behind it?

Last edited:
Started playing again after a year break.

Man, people don't even jungle forreal, forreal anymore.

Wut is this game, lol?

There is no true safelane because offlaners are so powerful.

Necro agh nerfed from delete hero to low c/d (MEH!!!)

The only think that is consistent is that Drow is still weak, and every time I play her she gets massively outcarried.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Started playing again after a year break.

Man, people don't even jungle forreal, forreal anymore.

Wut is this game, lol?

There is no true safelane because offlaners are so powerful.

Necro agh nerfed from delete hero to low c/d (MEH!!!)

The only think that is consistent is that Drow is still weak, and every time I play her she gets massively outcarried.

Drow is one of the worst carries to play after coming off a break, hah. Her animation is really slow and she's squish with no hard escape or hard disable, and loses her dps when caught too. The hero is designed to punish you for lack of solid fundamentals in last hitting and positioning. She's strong at very low MMRs when games last 70 minutes and no one knows what to do, generally pretty weak feeling at moderate MMRs since she's hard to use well, and has to be balanced carefully for pro play since high level players can compensate for her shortcomings and exploit her huge damage amp and kite.

Drow is one of the worst carries to play after coming off a break, hah. Her animation is really slow and she's squish with no hard escape or hard disable, and loses her dps when caught too. The hero is designed to punish you for lack of solid fundamentals in last hitting and positioning. She's strong at very low MMRs when games last 70 minutes and no one knows what to do, generally pretty weak feeling at moderate MMRs since she's hard to use well, and has to be balanced carefully for pro play since high level players can compensate for her shortcomings and exploit her huge damage amp and kite.

Ha ha, good analysis. I disagree with none of it.

You didn't know, but I've been playing Defense of the Ancients since it was once called Aeon of Strife. Drow's ult was "chance to instantly slay creep in one hit." Got on the DotA 2 beta in 2011. So I been doing this for awhile.

Yeah, she's my first love, but...basically everything you said. When I pick Drow, the team picks other squishes like Sniper or Venge to run an "aura team," but we're a bunch of randoms, not an organized pro team.

I try to pick her against lineups where I think she'll do well, but...it just doesn't happen.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ha ha, good analysis. I disagree with none of it.

You didn't know, but I've been playing Defense of the Ancients since it was once called Aeon of Strife. Drow's ult was "chance to instantly slay creep in one hit." Got on the DotA 2 beta in 2011. So I been doing this for awhile.

Yeah, she's my first love, but...basically everything you said. When I pick Drow, the team picks other squishes like Sniper or Venge to run an "aura team," but we're a bunch of randoms, not an organized pro team.

I try to pick her against lineups where I think she'll do well, but...it just doesn't happen.

Hah, I feel you. My most played hero is my lowest win rate hero. I kinda get a kick out of being the underdog or playing with a personal handicap or ignoring what you're "supposed to" do in the current meta and looking for ways to make things work by thinking/playing outside the box. That goes for most games really. In dota that means having to mute everyone though generally :goog_whistling:

Hah, I feel you. My most played hero is my lowest win rate hero. I kinda get a kick out of being the underdog or playing with a personal handicap or ignoring what you're "supposed to" do in the current meta and looking for ways to make things work by thinking/playing outside the box. That goes for most games really. In dota that means having to mute everyone though generally :goog_whistling:

Wow, we play a lot a like, lol.

In my efforts to resist the meta, I've accomplished seeing Lina as a mid/semicarr, and I feel like I contributed to that in some way by picking her and playing her greedily.

She used to be considered a poor-man's Lion, since they are both intelligence heroes with a single-target nuke for an ult, but Lion was preferred because of his target-stun/disables.

And look at her now, Arcana and all!

shira shira you might be interested in this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wow, we play a lot a like, lol.

In my efforts to resist the meta, I've accomplished seeing Lina as a mid/semicarr, and I feel like I contributed to that in some way by picking her and playing her greedily.

She used to be considered a poor-man's Lion, since they are both intelligence heroes with a single-target nuke for an ult, but Lion was preferred because of his target-stun/disables.

And look at her now, Arcana and all!

shira shira you might be interested in this.

Dude. I was referring to Lina above. lol. And yes, I would do the same thing.

I think it's kind of a problem because she has one of the best carry abilities in the game (Fiery Soul was a top tier first pick in ability draft last I heard) and has a lot of burst potential so feels like a really aggressive hero, but she is better suited to being a support overall unless you're really good at her auto-attack animation and mana management mid, or you find yourself with a lot of gold and are able to transition to carry items. Same bottom tier auto-attack animation that Drow has too, and I was usually not good enough to compensate for it in early game to avoid denies etc. against competent enemies (on Lina or Drow). Also sometimes, especially earlier on in my Dota days, I'd pick Lina intending to support but then not follow through properly because LAGUNA BLADE!!!1 Hah.

Dude. I was referring to Lina above. lol. And yes, I would do the same thing.

I think it's kind of a problem because she has one of the best carry abilities in the game (Fiery Soul was a top tier first pick in ability draft last I heard) and has a lot of burst potential so feels like a really aggressive hero, but she is better suited to being a support overall unless you're really good at her auto-attack animation and mana management mid, or you find yourself with a lot of gold and are able to transition to carry items. Same bottom tier auto-attack animation that Drow has too, and I was usually not good enough to compensate for it in early game to avoid denies etc. against competent enemies (on Lina or Drow). Also sometimes, especially earlier on in my Dota days, I'd pick Lina intending to support but then not follow through properly because LAGUNA BLADE!!!1 Hah.

Kill Steal? You mean KILL SECURED!!!

Yeah, it seems like all my favorite heroes have trash attack animations, necro included. Makes for a...difficult laning phase. It's easier to just cheat with Lich and consume a creep, lol.

They make up for this later with their skillset. Once Drow hits level 6, she pretty much can attack move and last hit everything. Necro can clear a whole creep wave with one nuke if you soften up a few targets first. Lina can double nuke (and have you seen her at lv 25 lately? 2 second Dragon Slave is lululul).

But you're clearly familiar with how all this works. Also what makes Lina a great semicarry is her BKB-penetrating Aghs ult, as well as her auto attack range. When Sven or Mortred pop their BKBs at the beginning of a fight, I zap them IMMEDIATELY. Everyone in the teamfight sees their health take a mighty blow, and my team is more willing to fight a BKB'd opponent with half health rather than with full, and their teammates are less confident that they can win.

Not to mention other pesky heroes like Naix who has innate magic immunity, or heroes supported by Omniknight.

I remember when at low HP, Huskar had 100% magic resistance. So if you auto-attacked him once, he'd die, but if you cast a spell, nothing. *FRUSTRATION*

Good stuff man. Didn't know you were into DotA. That's great!

shira

Straight jungle is instaloss.

It's basically what people do when someone stole their lane or they want to finish fast.

I totally missed TI8 due to work and just figured I'll at least watch the finals the other day. after watching all 5 games, I have to say this is one of the most amazing finals I've ever seen. at the beginning of both game 4 and 5 I was watching OG got crushed by LGD and thinking how in the world did OG win this whole thing? did I maybe misread who the final winner is? but good Lord that come back is real man. congrats to OG for a well deserved win.

TheAwakened

Neo Member
I was really hoping for Virtus.Pro to win but the Grand finals was superb to watch really enjoyed every single game they played. Congrats to both teams, LGD and OG, but yes OG deserverd the TI8 win.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Dead thread rip. I might get back into Dota next year and see if I can grind above Divine 1.

As of right now I play only a few matches per week with some friends.

God Enel

I stopped playing quite a while ago. I couldn’t handle the toxic community anymore. Stopped like half a year before the last TI. Like flaming begins in the picking phase and doesn’t stop until the game is over basically. I had a feeling like I’m getting to old for this shit.
It was such a good game though. Moved over to heroes of the storm - while a vastly inferior game in every possible way - the community isn’t nearly as shitty as in dota. + the games take between 10-30 minutes. So even if the game is shit you don’t have to play as long with your shitty mates.

I’m still following the dota pro scene a bit but even there I had a feeling that the game is dying.

Top Bottom