• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Xbox 3 GPU ~= AMD 6670, Wii U ~5x current gen, Xbox 3 ~6x, Dev Kits August

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The hearts of people expecting PS4 to be some techno core beast and the next Microsoft machine to be a Wii.

Who wants that?

The best scenario is for both to be, if it raised the chances of a higher baseline that pubs target and leads to more ambitious games.

If two companies go high end, that's a good thing if you're interested in third parties taking more advantage of a bigger leap.

If two go relatively low end, it's a bad thing for the above.

(Assuming two high-ends can muster a market large enough for third parties to focus on it, of course)

DCKing

The final hardware for the XBOX 3/720/whatever will likely be more powerful than what is currently circulating at the moment.
This is true.

What is also true is that a chip like the HD6670 is an incredibly bad starting point. It's a decent amount less powerful than the chip used in the Wii U devkits. It's not a starting point that doesn't make sense: as pointed out this is the same component that has been used in AMD Fusion chips, which is an analog of a new Xbox SoC.

I have no doubts that is going to improve, and maybe dramatically so. But from this starting point on, there is no way that the next Xbox will be in a league of its own compared to the Wii U.

A Microsoft rep e-mailed me the following statement: "As an innovator we're always thinking about what is next and how we can push the boundaries of technology like we did with Kinect. We believe the key to extending the lifespan of a console is not just about the console hardware, but about the games and entertainment experiences being delivered to consumers. Beyond that we don't comment on rumors or speculation."

Hmm. I'm thinking my OnLive type service theory is correct.... this would also fit the anti-piracy rumour as well as explain the name Infinite. With a service like that, you would never really need to upgrade your console again. /randommusing.

I notice people are saying they would just update the 6000 chipset. That just sounds like a waste of time and money to me. ATI has DX11.1 chipsets that handle power better than the 6000 series cards and its out already. Why waste money and time improving the 6000 chipset when they can take the 7000 chipset and spend time tuning that the way they want?

Because everyone in here is speculating on speculation, if people really thought about it, they'd probably realize that the 6670 is too conservative given the size and wattage...especially if it goes to 28nm. There is a lot of wishful thinking on both ends of the spectrum. I don't doubt the next Xbox will be more conservative, but like you pointed out, that doesn't automatically mean an ancient off the shelf gpu.

Its good to know were in the "Xbox 1.5" stage of the rumor cycle, means that actual info isn't too far off.

Daschysta

I don't mean to break anyone's hearts here, but I would like to point out that the rumors about the Wii U power is about near finalized development kits versus the XBOX 3 which still has a couple more iterations to go before reaching final development kits.

The final hardware for the XBOX 3/720/whatever will likely be more powerful than what is currently circulating at the moment.

Which is fine, i'm just relieved at the news of Wii-U at 5x current gen, which is far better than the 2x/3x that most expected.

It also indicates that MSFT is likely not going for bleeding edge. Even if it ends up 7x or 8x it won't be nearly a big enough gap to preclude the WIi-U from getting 3rd party ports, meaning that as the first system to come out the Wii-U has a chance to set the bar for next gen development.

Just as the PS3 and 360 were codeveloped for, leaving an outlier in the dust, the Wii-U and 720 may be the same baseline if Sony goes for radically more powerful hardware.

And HD nintendo system that also gets all the big 3rd party games (not to mention likely japanese exclusives) is pretty much my dream system, and these rumours make it much more likely to happen.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Which is fine, i'm just relieved at the news of Wii-U at 5x current gen, which is far better than the 2x/3x that most expected.

It also indicates that MSFT is likely not going for bleeding edge. Even if it ends up 7x or 8x it won't be nearly a big enough gap to preclude the WIi-U from getting 3rd party ports, meaning that as the first system to come out the Wii-U has a chance to set the bar for next gen development.

Just as the PS3 and 360 were codeveloped for, leaving an outlier in the dust, the Wii-U and 720 may be the same baseline if Sony goes for radically more powerful hardware.

And HD nintendo system that also gets all the big 3rd party games (not to mention likely japanese exclusives) is pretty much my dream system, and these rumours make it much more likely to happen.

The only reason why the Nintendo Wii didn't get mutiplatform ports is due to a completely different architecture that did not support games made with a programmable GPU in mind. By virtue of Nintendo releasing a console with a modern GPU architecture, sufficient RAM, and a comparable CPU there will not be the 3rd party issues they had last time.

Even if the console was woefully underpowered, it will still get many more games by virtue of using a modern GPU.

The only reason why the Nintendo Wii didn't get mutiplatform ports is due to a completely different architecture that did not support games made with a programmable GPU in mind. By virtue of Nintendo releasing a console with a modern GPU architecture, sufficient RAM, and a comparable CPU there will not be the 3rd party issues they had last time.

Even if the console was woefully underpowered, it will still get many more games by virtue of using a modern GPU.

yep. seems like this needs to be restated a lot. the Wii had obsolete architecture. Wii U and Xbox 3 are going to have very similar architecture.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Who wants that?

The best scenario is for both to be, if it raised the chances of a higher baseline that pubs target and leads to more ambitious games.

If two companies go high end, that's a good thing if you're interested in third parties taking more advantage of a bigger leap.

If two go relatively low end, it's a bad thing for the above.

(Assuming two high-ends can muster a market large enough for third parties to focus on it, of course)

The only people who think it's a good thing have a deathwish for the industry.

5-6x in a closed box, at the point we have reached, is more than enough. And the results will be more than enough for anyone other than those who get a hardon for what is inside the box.

For every jump you think you are making with opening up more power, you are also killing risk taking.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The whole diminishing returns and "more power will kill the industry" schtick has gone beyond hyperbolic.

More power isn't going to kill the industry. Releasing an superpowered system that is $600 again may.

As for the diminishing returns part, you'd be shocked at how many people can't tell the difference between SD and HD let alone the difference between 360/PS3 and the best looking PC stuff out there right now. That's the thing that convinced me we're hitting the diminishing returns point faster than I previously thought.

squidyj

The only people who think it's a good thing have a deathwish for the industry.

5-6x in a closed box, at the point we have reached, is more than enough. And the results will be more than enough for anyone other than those who get a hardon for what is inside the box.

For every jump you think you are making with opening up more power, you are also killing risk taking.

Basically you are wrong, you are using melodramatic language to villify your opposition and you are failing to react to criticism of your position within this thread. 5-6x is not enough, it's not nearly enough and an attitude that celebrates such mediocrity is well daft. It won't kill risk taking, it won't be a deathwish for the industry and many people in this thread have already demonstrated why it wont be the massive budgetary inflation for devs that would result in that risk killing you seem to believe is inevitable.

More power isn't going to kill the industry. Releasing an superpowered system that is $600 again may.

As for the diminishing returns part, you'd be shocked at how many people can't tell the difference between SD and HD let alone the difference between 360/PS3 and the best looking PC stuff out there right now. That's the thing that convinced me we're hitting the diminishing returns point faster than I previously thought.

I would like for you to quote me a study on the number of people who can't tell the difference. In the immortal words of the internet, tits or GTFO, because I'm tired of hearing 'noone cares about graphics' 'graphics don't matter' 'nobody can tell the difference' without supporting evidence.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The whole diminishing returns and "more power will kill the industry" schtick has gone beyond hyperbolic.

It's more complicated than that.

You have a whole games industry that is in a complete mess. Confusion over retail vs. digital delivery, wholesale confusion over what a game is worth, ridiculously spiralling production costs which had cancelled out the widening of the market. The industry is basically competing with itself in multiple areas and sending conflicting messages. Another arms-race is exactly the wrong thing an industry in such a mess needs. It needs to consolidate.

The music and film industries had to be dragged into this century, but their position is much more straight-forward.

And the future of all the industries is basically in the same place, the battle is for the control of that and anyone who doesn't realise it will be caught out. Games are just a tool to get there, but far from the most important part of the sales pitch.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Basically you are wrong, you are using melodramatic language to villify your opposition and you are failing to react to criticism of your position within this thread. 5-6x is not enough, it's not nearly enough and an attitude that celebrates such mediocrity is well daft. It won't kill risk taking, it won't be a deathwish for the industry and many people in this thread have already demonstrated why it wont be the massive budgetary inflation for devs that would result in that risk killing you seem to believe is inevitable.

How do you know? The system that took the smallest leap dominated for years.

Also, you keep throwing around the "5-6X is not enough" but don't go into WHY. WHY won't it be enough?

Not good enough graphics for you? Not enough power to handle...what? I'm genuinely curious to hear your response.

Rad-

So if MS announces this at E3, is Sony basically forced to release a less powerful system as well? I'm sure they don't want to get "Wii'd" by third parties next gen.

Lunchbox

Banned
5 times 6 times 10 times is the most juvenile ignorant shit that only the video game industry can throw around

talk about specs or dont compare things at all

Plinko

I would like for you to quote me a study on the number of people who can't tell the difference. In the immortal words of the internet, tits or GTFO, because I'm tired of hearing 'noone cares about graphics' 'graphics don't matter' 'nobody can tell the difference' without supporting evidence.

Yeah, because the scientific community is so busy right now with "studies" on people who can't tell the difference between SD and HD. Please. It's obvious I was talking about anecdotal evidence. I deal with teenagers on a regular basis and love to hear their thoughts on the video game industry--sort of a market research deal. It's a good-sized group of students who are a good mix of the game-buying population--a fair number of both "core" gamers and casuals.

Plinko

Do you have any idea what your talking about? Put together a BOM list and play ball before making ludicrous statements like that.

You do realize there is a more to console pricing than BOM, right?

How do you know? The system that took the smallest leap dominated for years.

Also, you keep throwing around the "5-6X is not enough" but don't go into WHY. WHY won't it be enough?

Not good enough graphics for you? Not enough power to handle...what? I'm genuinely curious to hear your response.

I dont know maybe people standard get higher too.
Do you think people want 360 level of graphics when 4k tv are more available.
Its all a number game and bigger is better. Hell if a lot of people could get 1080p in 4 inch mobile screen, they want that and not the one with 640p or something like that.

Hell even the 360 is blurry as fuck on my 1080p screen because im already used to pc quality graphics if it was not for halo 4 and some other exclusives i would have sold my 360 and ps3 months ago.

Plinko

Its all a number game and bigger is better. Hell if a lot of people could get 1080p in 4 inch mobile screen, they want that and not the one with 640p or something like that.

Hell even the 360 is blurry as fuck on my 1080p screen because im already used to pc quality graphics if it was not for halo 4 and some other exclusives i would have sold my 360 and ps3 months ago.

That's an entirely different argument, as those TVs will be worse sellers than 3DTVs are because there's absolutely no reason to replace HDTVs due to the fact that there will be no OTA or Satellite programming to take advantage of it.

I think Sony's talk of 4K is ahead of its time.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
5 times 6 times 10 times is the most juvenile ignorant shit that only the video game industry can throw around

All the industry needs is identifiable jumps, it doesn't matter whether you call it 8 bit vs. 16 bit, 5-6x, or start throwing MHz about.

It's a consumer product, the jump is what is important. And whatever Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony will put out will offer one. What is increasingly important is that the jump is just as much about what services, convenience, new experience and everything else it entails. Everything is converging.

The jump this time round is going to be about far more than what is inside the box, it's what they will be doing with it. Give enough room to advance, but not hinder it by pushing productions costs too far again. Then the focus will come back to differentiating through content again, keep the risks manageable so it doesn't get in the way of creativity.

You think 4K TV's will become standard over the 4-5 years?

Marco1

I can only imagine that the biggest problem for MS will be their heat issues and most likely wanting to launch a system similar in size to the 360S.
Also I hope they allow the use of SSD without charging their own system on it, oh wait!!!!!

But people need some easy numbers to compare their future e-peen.

How else are you going to be able to pat yourself on the back knowing that you bought a console that is 10 times as powerfull as the old ones?
Do you expect people to actually look forward to games instead of horsepower that is sure to be paththic when compared to mid to high end PCs?

Could someone please explain why higher end tech would necessarily be a bad thing? I keep reading that OP hardware would force more studios out of the running due to rising costs.

The reason I ask is because I thought most costs come making sure your game looks great graphically. Aren't most graphics assets now down scaled to fit on to current generation consoles. So if the assets are all ready created in high fidelity why not use them going forward to the next generation and making sure the hardware is capable? Or am I going at this the wrong way? :)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would say that 4k has a better chance than 3D to be accepted by the masses in that time span.

Both will get there, if they do, just by being offered as a default option for new televisions.

4k is complete overkill for the size of televisions most people buy, although when we have OLED wall-sized televisions it will be more important ;)

AzaK

I guess the TV industry needed another buzz word to sell more stuff.

Seriously, how long is it going to be before we can fit 4k movies on a disk? Then how long before broadcast accepts 4K (Hint: I'll be dead)?

4K just seems madness and I can't see how the hell they can actually use 4K as a selling point with 0 content?

Both will get there, if they do, just by being offered as a default option for new televisions.

4k is complete overkill for the size of televisions most people buy, although when we have OLED wall-sized televisions it will be more important ;)

After watching Black Mirror I don't think I want wall-sized TV's anymore. Either way though I think we will be lucky to be consistently at 1080P with the next gen, let alone anything higher.

You are trying to form arguments out of your vocabulary range.

It's more complicated than that.

You have a whole games industry that is in a complete mess. Confusion over retail vs. digital delivery, wholesale confusion over what a game is worth, ridiculously spiralling production costs which had cancelled out the widening of the market. The industry is basically competing with itself in multiple areas and sending conflicting messages. Another arms-race is exactly the wrong thing an industry in such a mess needs. It needs to consolidate.

The music and film industries had to be dragged into this century, but their position is much more straight-forward.

And the future of all the industries is basically in the same place, the battle is for the control of that and anyone who doesn't realise it will be caught out. Games are just a tool to get there, but far from the most important part of the sales pitch.

Thanks, for all of that. Our industry is not mature enough to realize great games can not have all the bells and whistles and still sell well. Which is why the more power you give dev, the more money they have to spend. This next gen will not nearly be the exponential jump in cost the last was, but more power is going to use more money. I am aware the assests like texture and mudboxed million poly models are already used but a higher poly in game model, plus more animation to be blended with Ai and environments.

I guess the TV industry needed another buzz word to sell more stuff.

Seriously, how long is it going to be before we can fit 4k movies on a disk? Then how long before broadcast accepts 4K (Hint: I'll be dead)?

4K just seems madness and I can't see how the hell they can actually use 4K as a selling point with 0 content?

we can already fit 4k 24 on 128gb blu-ray disk which the ps3 might be able to read with a firmware update but hdmi cables cant pass that much information per second to do 4k without multiple cables.

tassletine

After watching Black Mirror I don't think I want wall-sized TV's anymore. Either way though I think we will be lucky to be consistently at 1080P with the next gen, let alone anything higher.

Black Mirror was brilliant.

Wall sized TV's will have to be flexible to work as they need to fit through doors.

beje

Banned
I doubt 4K would ever become standard anytime soon after seeing how people got fucked in the ass by HD-ready TVs, then Full HD TVs with SD Digital TV receivers to finally Really Really For Sure Full HD TVs to Now With 3D Too (which isn't even a single fixed standard and glasses are not cross-compatible) TVs all in a short period of 6 years. Your average Joe is already pretty burned with all this.

params7

Banned
Woah, disappointing as hell. Will this even be able to make future console Battlefield's look like what BF3 looks today on high end pc's? keeping in mind these consoles will go on for 6-7 years?

If the focus is on kinect, then I really hope MS fails hard and at least Sony sticks to their roots and goes for a big GPU upgrade. Next GT, KZ and UC will need it.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Consoles have always had a lower power PC graphics card or equivalent, it's on the same power curve as the original xbox and the 360. The 360 also already looks good, and with a better processor and more RAM we could get some really beautiful games out of it. I'm assuming we're getting at least 2-4 gigs of RAM which should alleviate a lot of the problems consoles have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom