• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online presents the "Doomsday Heist"

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZgVGFwKo0

incredible, 4 years and Rockstar keeps pumping up amazing and fresh content for GTA Online

synopsis-

A billionaire tech mogul, an idealistic intelligence agent, a socially awkward conspiracy theorist and a neurotic supercomputer have been forced into an unlikely alliance to save San Andreas from total annihilation. As apocalyptic threats mount from enemies unknown, you and your criminal crew are enlisted to un-tangle mysteries and eradicate threats spanning from the bustling streets of downtown Los Santos to the ocean floor and all the way to the inner depths of Mount Chiliad in an epic new online adventure.

Ubername

Banned
Who here plays these? I've owned this game a few times and I've never played any of the dlc. Are they fun? I don't like the online component that much to start with.

Fordfx2

Who here plays these? I've owned this game a few times and I've never played any of the dlc. Are they fun? I don't like the online component that much to start with.

They're quite fun! But, my only gripe is that when you haven't played a certain heist and group with randoms that rush through it so you can't enjoy the plot or even know what to do and continue to die and restart over and over again can be very frustrating, leading to me not getting far in the first place.

Ubername

Banned
They're quite fun! But, my only gripe is that when you haven't played a certain heist and group with randoms that rush through it so you can't enjoy the plot or even know what to do and continue to die and restart over and over again can be very frustrating, leading to me not getting far in the first place.
I had a feeling this was the case. They're completely impossible to do by yourself right ?

meerak

lol holy shit

I don't play this game but that was wild to see.

I guess this game went off the rails in all the right ways?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not really into the online part, just a bunch of people hiding in their apartments most the time.

Dabanton

Looks awesome as ever.

I've found it relatively easy to set up mission playthroughs on Xbox 'looking for group' means you can find people who want to play through and do it properly so no lone wolf idiots who keep dying repeatedly.

Duo VII

Neo Member
This looks awesome. Seems to incorporate all the recent new vehicles. A Delorean that can swim and fly? Ugh, so awesome. Not too thrilled about the jetpacks, but they're a nice throwback to SA. So soon, too!

Edit: the Delorean and the diving car are two separate vehicles.

how does one get into gta online

giphy.gif

Goldpanda94

Neo Member
Remember when the craziest thing in GTA V used to be the tank and the alien sequence lmao. It's evolved since then i'll say.

Heath V

single player is really DEAD isnt it ?
fuck online gaming :(

No, they are simply milking this game for money until the next entry in the series. It makes perfect sense when you think about it. To me the meat and potatoes of the game is the single player. I've played maybe 10 minutes online.

No, they are simply milking this game for money until the next entry in the series. It makes perfect sense when you think about it. To me the meat and potatoes of the game is the single player. I've played maybe 10 minutes online.

why do you people keep saying this? What do you want them to do? To not release anything and shut down the servers? What kind of damage is there to release content for the MILLIONS of people that still play this. I want SP content too but that isnt happening and I moved on after a year of GTA, but i dont get mad at people having new cars or whatever to buy. Atleast these Heists are well made and fun if you can get a group.

Personally me and my friends are hyped for this. A new heist after all this time, we all thought that Rockstar had given up on them and gone the cheapo way of 6 million variations on player vs player (that hardly anyone touches).

It is gonna be great to have a new heist to master, pretty much done all the other heists every which way you can (on mopeds, push bikes, in bikini/swimwear). Roll on Tuesday when the criminals of Los Santos get to redeem themselves for the hundreds of thousands of bank raids on the Pacific Standard bank by saving Los Santos.

DCDW

I love the heists in GTA:Onilne, having 4 players come together and co-ordinate to accomplish a heist is very fun and satisfying.

YoshiMax

You’re missing out on a lot of fun. Played with a few mates the likes of the transform races are absolutely superb trolling players and all.

Duo VII

Neo Member
Personally me and my friends are hyped for this. A new heist after all this time, we all thought that Rockstar had given up on them and gone the cheapo way of 6 million variations on player vs player (that hardly anyone touches).

It is gonna be great to have a new heist to master, pretty much done all the other heists every which way you can (on mopeds, push bikes, in bikini/swimwear). Roll on Tuesday when the criminals of Los Santos get to redeem themselves for the hundreds of thousands of bank raids on the Pacific Standard bank by saving Los Santos.
This, for the fucking truth! It isn't stated enough. The thrill of a successful heist with a good group of people (if not friends) is sick a rush. I love oblong games that have legs. I just wish we could get geographical dlc like Liberty or Vice City.

So for someone who hasn't touch gta online in almost two years. What is the fastest way to play these new dlc? I just entered the game and there's so much going on I really don't know how to find this new content.

chemicals

I also own a couple of different versions of GTA5.. and a couple of different times I have wanted to try the online,,, then it says "okay hang on while we download 4392 files" and I just never had the patience.

Duo VII

Neo Member
So for someone who hasn't touch gta online in almost two years. What is the fastest way to play these new dlc? I just entered the game and there's so much going on I really don't know how to find this new content.
The game prompts you, but you probably missed it. Go to the Internet on your phone and go to Maze Bank Foreclosure, then buy a Facility and head there.

You’re missing out on a lot of fun. Played with a few mates the likes of the transform races are absolutely superb trolling players and all.
Yup. The cash grind can be harsh.... and boring and repetitive as hell. Because they want you to buy shark cards. And TBH if you're new, you could probably treat your first shark card as the 'expansion' price tag cuz otherwise it'd take you weeks to get anywhere.

But a lot of the content is great fun, in very casual moderation. For open world content, some of the business-y missions can be fun. A lot of delivery missions, but some fun stuff, too. I like the biker missions, like robbing and cracking the safe, or some of the gang war low rider missions. Heists are really cool with friends. And for non-open world, the PUBG clone was kinda cool and I really like some of the stunt races or the Tron inspired Deadline. Killer soundtracks, too... Deadline and Adversary (from Bikers and Finance) have great MP soundtracks, and Low Riders has probably one of the chillest MP soundtracks around.

I don't grind much anymore but I like to log-in casually because GTAO has a shit load more free roam content than GTA SA, IV, CTW, and V (SP) combined. So it's still by go-to GTA for free roam, even if I play exclusively solo. I mostly play SP just for V's hilarious random cop chases; MP open world for repeatable missions.

wvnative

Next to burnout paradise this is one of my all time favorite games, but shit if it don't seem like Rockstar is doing everything in their power to turn my friends and myself away from the game.

This new heist expansion doubles down on EVERYTHING that's been wrong with the game for awhile now.

First, hosts have to put up a setup cost to start, then you are forced to buy prep equipment for each setup mission which progressively gets more expensive. (because who in their right mind wants to go fetch this crap in troll filled public rooms which is required to do these?) Then hosts do not get paid for the setup missions, plus sinking money into restocking your 10 pieces of armor after every mission because they tripled enemy health for these heists and tripled the damage they do to you, two shots and your health bar is critical if not completely empty. The interior layouts of these missions seem designed against the game's mechanics. More people make it worse cause more targets for the AI to aimbot/wallhack and most people don't understand how to play this game properly.

By the time you manage to do a heist, by the time you split evenly, and actually manage to pass the heist, it feels like you've made nothing. And that's how GTA has been designed for awhile, a mindless grind that even after many many hours feels like you've barely moved the needle. It's honestly just as horrible as battlefront 2, just goes about it in a different way and nobody seems to care.

Horrified of how red dead 2 is set up...

BONDO

Next to burnout paradise this is one of my all time favorite games, but shit if it don't seem like Rockstar is doing everything in their power to turn my friends and myself away from the game.

This new heist expansion doubles down on EVERYTHING that's been wrong with the game for awhile now.

First, hosts have to put up a setup cost to start, then you are forced to buy prep equipment for each setup mission which progressively gets more expensive. (because who in their right mind wants to go fetch this crap in troll filled public rooms which is required to do these?) Then hosts do not get paid for the setup missions, plus sinking money into restocking your 10 pieces of armor after every mission because they tripled enemy health for these heists and tripled the damage they do to you, two shots and your health bar is critical if not completely empty. The interior layouts of these missions seem designed against the game's mechanics. More people make it worse cause more targets for the AI to aimbot/wallhack and most people don't understand how to play this game properly.

By the time you manage to do a heist, by the time you split evenly, and actually manage to pass the heist, it feels like you've made nothing. And that's how GTA has been designed for awhile, a mindless grind that even after many many hours feels like you've barely moved the needle. It's honestly just as horrible as battlefront 2, just goes about it in a different way and nobody seems to care.

So after the intial money grab of having to purchse the facility it has been smooth sailing.
If you are to scared to go do the prep missions and rather pay....thats your own fault.

I also have no reason to believe enemies do more damage. Lol. It all feels exactly the same

This heist is really just an audition for all the new toys they want you to buy. Doesnt make it bad....i just wont buy em.

Payouts have always been shitty. Host has never made money till the end either. As of now, i am not a host and im making about 35k per mission and i believe my Act 1 completion was about 200k

wvnative

So after the intial money grab of having to purchse the facility it has been smooth sailing.
If you are to scared to go do the prep missions and rather pay....thats your own fault.

I also have no reason to believe enemies do more damage. Lol. It all feels exactly the same

This heist is really just an audition for all the new toys they want you to buy. Doesnt make it bad....i just wont buy em.

Payouts have always been shitty. Host has never made money till the end either. As of now, i am not a host and im making about 35k per mission and i believe my Act 1 completion was about 200k

The OG heists were much better designed, and the setup costs were just one small fee compared to what you'd ultimately make. I might go back to the original heists.

If you don't think enemies have been buffed I dunno what to tell you. I'm not the only one who's noticed.

I shouldn't have to go into a troll infested public room just for the right to start what's otherwise a private experience.

BONDO

The OG heists were much better designed, and the setup costs were just one small fee compared to what you'd ultimately make. I might go back to the original heists.

If you don't think enemies have been buffed I dunno what to tell you. I'm not the only one who's noticed.

I shouldn't have to go into a troll infested public room just for the right to start what's otherwise a private experience.

Hey i don't disagree with the public room thing.
Just not expecting it to have changed either. If you are really bothered by it just hop servers till you find a empty room. Never pay for those missions

Ash735

Fun fact for you guys, this is actually parts of the scrapped Single Player DLC re-purposed into a GTA Online Heist. This was supposed to be apart of the first "What If?" DLC called Alien War which was meant to be akin to Red Dead Redemption's "Undead Nightmare" and was supposed to be what all the Alien stuff in Single Player was hinting towards. The full production DLC was supposed to have parts of Los Santos destroyed, Mount Chilliad broken open by an Earthquake, downtown skyscrapers attacked by a squad of aliens, etc.

Now that the content has been released (in some form) we can actually talk about this now in the open.

There was going to be THREE Single Player DLC Expansion Packs, one being a proper Story DLC and two being What If scenarios, the first being Alien War and the second being a PS4/XB1/PC exclusive called Zombie Apocalypse.

At this point, since the assets are obviously there, I wonder why they don’t port the multiplayer heists over to single player. I would pay.

Paasei

And that's how GTA has been designed for awhile, a mindless grind that even after many many hours feels like you've barely moved the needle. It's honestly just as horrible as battlefront 2, just goes about it in a different way and nobody seems to care.

I think of this exactly the same as you. Not sure about the heist(s) part, haven't done them cause I don't know anybody who wants to play this game with me online.

I only see myself doing those stunt races from time to time until I'm bored. Waiting to connect to a lobby still takes waaaaaay too long, which is absurd for the amount of money that is made from this game that could've been invested in more stable servers. And in those lobbies you are forced to play with either Russians or Polish people, who simply do not speak English, so there's no communication whatsoever. Same thing happens if you are crazy enough to "host" your own heist/mission with randoms.
IF you can get a group with people you know, it can be a lot of fun, if not, don't even bother. Just buy in-game money to even have a chance of getting a nice car, house, weapons and clothing. The grind is just ridiculous.

The concept of GTA Online is so great, it's just very poorly handled if you ask me. And that is why I am also worried about RDR2 being more of an online game with shark cards, rather than a proper SP experience.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Its good that all this new content is free.

GTA's progression schemes don't relly work on me, I find the idea of have vast somes of virtual wealth and buying stuff with that wealth very shallow.I play GTA Online because I find the hiests and mini games fun.I have not spent a penny on GTA online. The only only money I spent on GTA 5 was the upfront cost of the game on PS3 and XBOX one.

P.s do the ps4 pro and 1X improve the GTA5 at all?

JustCheeze

Neo Member
At this point, since the assets are obviously there, I wonder why they don’t port the multiplayer heists over to single player. I would pay.

Because making you grind endlessly to do MP content and succumbing to buying shark cards earn them more money. It's a proven business tactic, even if you don't actually spend a dime....

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Can you join somone elses doomsday hiest or is the only way to play it by buying a facility and setting the hiest up youtself?

Can you join somone elses doomsday hiest or is the only way to play it by buying a facility and setting the hiest up youtself?

Yeah it works just like regular heists you can join anyone by accepting an invite (and belive me there are plenty of invites going around). The only problem is that you do not unlock the lower prices for the vehicles if you don't host the heist.

you can join other to play the content. it wont cost you a dime.

ok, so theres multiple things that i have a problem with in your statement.

first of all, you dont have to pay anything to play this new content. you and your friends can join others games as a grouo with the match making built into the game.

second, if you dont want do the prep missions and rather pay, that seems like a personal problem. theres others, including myself who likes them and find them fun and challenging to do.

third of all, noooooooooooo one uses armor outside of pvp. its too expensive and its gone after one or two shoots. its a waste of money. you know what people do??? they eat the snacks whike in cover because of two reasons, no eating animation so your health fills instantly meaning you can spam the snacks to quickly fill your health and eating snacks in cover or while in a vehicle you get more health.

fourth, getting killed in two hits is highly unlikely. so i think your just blowing things a bit out of proportions here.

fifth, if your not having fun playing the base game and find it to be boring and a grind, then its pretty obvious its not the game for you.

you can join other to play the content. it wont cost you a dime.

ok, so theres multiple things that i have a problem with in your statement.

first of all, you dont have to pay anything to play this new content. you and your friends can join others games as a grouo with the match making built into the game.

second, if you dont want do the prep missions and rather pay, that seems like a personal problem. theres others, including myself who likes them and find them fun and challenging to do.

third of all, noooooooooooo one uses armor outside of pvp. its too expensive and its gone after one or two shoots. its a waste of money. you know what people do??? they eat the snacks whike in cover because of two reasons, no eating animation so your health fills instantly meaning you can spam the snacks to quickly fill your health and eating snacks in cover or while in a vehicle you get more health.

fourth, getting killed in two hits is highly unlikely. so i think your just blowing things a bit out of proportions here.

fifth, if your not having fun playing the base game and find it to be boring and a grind, then its pretty obvious its not the game for you.

Also, if someone is dying after two hits they are probably low level. I was previously playing a setup mission with a lvl 4 player. He was dying pretty quickly. But the heists should be considered "end game content" and really shouldn't be played at a low level just like any other game with a leveling system. I can see someone under level 50 having a pretty hard time. Also, when in doubt, turn down the difficulty level of the mission if someone is trying to get through it at a low level.

Top Bottom