• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters: DESTINY starts airing (CG series)

BadWolf

The live-action movie practically treated her like a protagonist despite her relative irrelevance in the game's stories, and did that with very little understanding of the character - considering how that thing turned out, hopefully that was a valuable lesson for anyone hoping to tackle SNK's stories in a more traditional narrative medium.

Here's hoping they don't know that the live-action movie exists -_-

So far Destiny is doing a lot of justice to the characters.

Is this gonna be canon? Like, are they just doing KOF94?

94 is just the beginning, they have many seasons planned.

Will probably tackle the NESTS and Ash sagas as well eventually.

NeonZ

Will probably tackle the NESTS and Ash sagas as well eventually.

Actually, if it's really successful enough for future seasons, I wonder if they'd retell other non-kof games, like what they're doing with Fatal Fury 1 right now.

Loona

Here's hoping they don't know that the live-action movie exists -_-

Those who forget history are bound to repeat it, and in that sense the live action is great, since it contains almost every possible mistake an adaptation could make.

BadWolf

Actually, if it's really successful enough for future seasons, I wonder if they'd retell other non-kof games, like what they're doing with Fatal Fury 1 right now.

Yeah and maybe even give others their own series.

Garou MOTW, Last Blade, Metal Slug etc. could all make for great shows.

Those who forget history are bound to repeat it, and in that sense the live action is great, since it contains almost every possible mistake an adaptation could make.

That's a good point, guess it was a necessary evil.

qcf x2

These were well done. Obviously a little rough around the edges, but still a thoroughly enjoyable watch, can't wait for the rest. Shermie and Whip had better make appearances!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Decided to check this out. I found the first two episode to be very entertaining. The faces are rough but not problematic enough to dissuade me from continuing. Thanks for bringing this to our attention BadWolf. :D

Wow, I know Benimaru was inspired by Polnareff from JoJo, but I didn't think they shared a similar personality.

I also realize now that Geese is essentially a weeaboo Trump.

LordCiego

I ve just watched the first two released episodes. They are nice for the budget they have but the worst part has to be Benimaru, I never watched him as the laughing character they have made him in this, he has become a joke character more fitting of Joe Higashi than of him.

Loona

I ve just watched the first two released episodes. They are nice for the budget they have but the worst part has to be Benimaru, I never watched him as the laughing character they have made him in this, he has become a joke character more fitting of Joe Higashi than of him.

The SNK devs have mentioned that they dislike how Joe became more of a joke character in KoF compared to his FF origins... I guess they're pushing that role to someone else...

The SNK devs have mentioned that they dislike how Joe became more of a joke character in KoF compared to his FF origins... I guess they're pushing that role to someone else...

I'd also argue that since it's 94 and Benimaru didn't really grow into his own until 99 that his demeanor is as such though it's a bit much

LordCiego

Yeah, but it's a shame anyway. The first info of Benimaru is that he gets second place in tha Japan tournament only losing to Kyo, even Goro got third and gets treated as a more capable fighter. Well, at least when Benimaru is shown fighting its shown as a good fighter so thats something.

Loona

I'd also argue that since it's 94 and Benimaru didn't really grow into his own until 99 that his demeanor is as such though it's a bit much

Benimaru's had the womanizer thing in the very least as far back as 97, the mook for KoF97 has a chart with his opinions on every woman in the game, plus Kyo's girlfriend Yuki.

He's also, accidentally or not, been involved the most with protagonist and official tournament victories, since he's shared teams with folks like K' and Elisabeth, so there's a combination or lucky, well-connected and talented working decently for him.

Destiny just seems to bump his "ladies' man" factor to a goofy factor - since Daimon's so silent, his character basically has to overact for 2, I guess.

Episode 3 is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQRE9rXSgw8

pKwSUfI.png

BadWolf

Episode 3 is another fun ep, though a little on the short side.

The JP and Chinese versions are longer, they have an extra scene where Angelina sings a song on stage before approaching Terry. Guess they cut it out of the English version for copyright reasons.

Angelina is the replacement to Lily McGuire it seems.

Robert with that NGBC look. Yuri with the trolling (would make for a nice gif), she will probably join up with King and Mai soon.

They toned down the comedy on Beni a little in this ep, and he handled Robert pretty easily. Personally I don't mind them adding more to his personality instead of being just another rich pretty boy.

Thanks, added to OP.

Decided to check this out. I found the first two episode to be very entertaining. The faces are rough but not problematic enough to dissuade me from continuing. Thanks for bringing this to our attention BadWolf. :D

Np :)

Wonko_C

Funny how Robert is also rich yet he doesn't think about doing a couple of calls to help locate Yuri.

I also hopes this series finally explains why Robert speaks in Kansai dialect.

BadWolf

That troll with Beni asking Ryo why he is called the invincible dragon (instead of a tiger) tho.

For a sec there I actually thought we would get an answer.

This thing is definitely being made by fans of the material.

Tizoc

Funny how Robert is also rich yet he doesn't think about doing a couple of calls to help locate Yuri.

Well that is what Madrileño sounds like to normal spaniards i bet :v

LordCiego

Angelina's gonna die isn't she?

We can bet on it. Love that Benimaru is shown as a good fighter not just comic relief, and as Badwolf said the question he makes Ryo. Also loved that for the next episode Andy is going to wear his 2001 look, It's not his classic one but it's my favourite.

355732-andy5.jpg

Edit: Didn´t said before, but also love the opening and ending song versions.

Loona

Episode 3 is another fun ep, though a little on the short side.

The JP and Chinese versions are longer, they have an extra scene where Angelina sings a song on stage before approaching Terry. Guess they cut it out of the English version for copyright reasons.

That song is basically a couple of notes and near random lyrics away from being "Close to You" by the Carpenters. I don't think the show needed the character or the scene, but I guess the staff wanted to toss a nod to an element of the anime that marked some people's perceptions of Terry's life.

Nice to see Yuri acting out her independent streak usually seen in the KoF team backstories, but I wasn't too convinced by what they had Ryo state as his objection - i always saw that more as being protective of his sister that on some level he still regards as a kid than the marriage eligibility stated here, but maybe they'll get to have a talk about it later.

BadWolf

Unsubbed episode 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k7ZcTTvrfQ

Watch it while it lasts

Tempted but will wait for subs next week.

Also loved that for the next episode Andy is going to wear his 2001 look, It's not his classic one but it's my favourite.

That outfit also looked awesome in XIII, he had it as an 'alt' with a ninja face mask. So good.

That song is basically a couple of notes and near random lyrics away from being "Close to You" by the Carpenters. I don't think the show needed the character or the scene, but I guess the staff wanted to toss a nod to an element of the anime that marked some people's perceptions of Terry's life.

Yeah it probably needs to be there since it is part of his story and also goes with the whole Lone Wolf thing.

They likely didn't go with Lily since the name overlaps with Billy's sister and she kinda looks like Leona.

Nice to see Yuri acting out her independent streak usually seen in the KoF team backstories, but I wasn't too convinced by what they had Ryo state as his objection - i always saw that more as being protective of his sister that on some level he still regards as a kid than the marriage eligibility stated here, but maybe they'll get to have a talk about it later.

Might be a little of both, he wants her safe and have a family. Ryo is old school so it makes sense for him to mention marriage.

Galdelico

Yep, I'm genuinely enjoying the series. Fight scenes look great, and I can deal with the somehow wonky character design.
Which makes me think... Imagine a high budget CG motion picture, with all the fighters modeled after Shinkiro's original artwork.

BossRush

I enjoy this weird revisionist history thing going on. It makes sense since KOF is an entirely different universe than Fatal Fury/Art of Fighting.

I hope we get something cool like a Rugal Geese match.

dlauv

They're getting shorter and shorter.

This Fatal Fury retread is kind of nice though. It's giving me nostalgia for the old animes.

NeonZ

Huh. They're going into Geese's backstory with Krauser? I wonder if this means we'd get a Fatal Fury 2 adaptation before a KoF95 if there's a season 2.

Would this be a good intro to the characters/story to someone with basically zero prior knowledge?

Absolutely. They're sort of reimagining and tweaking the stories a bit so they all fit together, but I think a lot of fans agree this is the adaptation we've been LOOOONG waiting for (animation quality aside).

NeonZ

Would this be a good intro to the characters/story to someone with basically zero prior knowledge?

I think they're doing a good job introducing everyone, and the story is also starting from the very beginning, giving an introduction to the Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting characters before jumping into King of Fighters proper.

However, I'm already somewhat invested in the characters, so I think it might help overlooking some of the low production values with facial animation for example.

Loona

Huh. They're going into Geese's backstory with Krauser? I wonder if this means we'd get a Fatal Fury 2 adaptation before a KoF95 if there's a season 2.

I doubt they'll cover FF2 events, since technically that's a KoF too but in another timeline with 1-on-1 rules, but it's nice to see the backstory getting some coverage - makes up for the weirdness of seeing Geese show showing up in a hakama in the middle of the street, since traditionally that seems like something he'd mostly use in his own training space or a tournament setting - I figure they just didn't model one of his business suits for him (yet they gave billy the pachinko hair...).

NeonZ

I doubt they'll cover FF2 events, since technically that's a KoF too but in another timeline with 1-on-1 rules, but it's nice to see the backstory getting some coverage - makes up for the weirdness of seeing Geese show showing up in a hakama in the middle of the street, since traditionally that seems like something he'd mostly use in his own training space or a tournament setting - I figure they just didn't model one of his business suits for him (yet they gave billy the pachinko hair...).

He already showed up in a suit last week. Or at least I thought he did. Anyway, they're seemingly going to reimagine Fatal Fury as a 3vs3 tournament, so I don't think FF2 would be that odd. I just thought they wouldn't bother in order to focus on the main KoF story once they started it, but if they're setting up Krauser then Fatal Fury 2 doesn't seem that unlikely.

Loona

He already showed up in a suit last week. Or at least I thought he did. Anyway, they're seemingly going to reimagine Fatal Fury as a 3vs3 tournament, so I don't think FF2 would be that odd. I just thought they wouldn't bother in order to focus on the main KoF story once they started it, but if they're setting up Krauser than Fatal Fury 2 doesn't seem that unlikely.

Krauser's relevance here seems to be be that he was one of the holders of one of the jin scrolls - according to the Memories of stray Wolves anniversary video there were 3 of those, one in Tung's possession (presumably passed on to Jeff), the other in Krauser's (apparently a family inheritance which Geese feels he was cheated out of when his father abandoned his mother), and the other with the Jin twins - but AFAIK the involved characters aren't in Destiny as fully modelled and voiced characters.

BadWolf

They did a great job telling Geese's back story. The
Krauser and Jeff
stories were connected nicely.

The ep felt like watching a classic Neo-Geo cutscene/ending.

Made me want Krauser for KOFXV. We already have Geese and Rock in one game, might as well go all the way eh?

Also, they updated the intro. More characters are shown such as Athena, Kim, Clark, Brian Battler etc.

You can see Kim activate friggin max mode.

Thanks!

Geese's backstory was rushed. They should have taken their time with this. A good outline none the less. Maybe someone will flesh this out in the future. Shortest episode, and no animation just stills. We in China outsource that shit SNK.

Top Bottom