• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

.hack//G.U. Last Recode |OT| Take Me Back To The World

Battlechili

Banned
klTnQTj.jpg

Developer: Cyberconnect2
Publisher: Bandai Namco
Platforms: PC, PS4
Genre: Action RPG
Release date(s):
JP November 1, 2017
NA November 3, 2017
EU November 3, 2017
AUS November 3, 2017

What is .hack//GU Last Recode?:
.hack//GU Last Recode is an HD remaster of CC2's action RPGs .hack//GU Volume 1: Rebirth, .hack//GU Volume 2: Reminisce, and .hack//GU Volume 3: Redemption, which all originally released back in 2006-2007. This remaster includes higher resolution 1080p graphics, more detailed textures, improved shadows, better anti-aliasing, a new cheat mode, a retry feature to restart a battle when you're defeated, various balancing changes, and more! In addition to this, a new fourth volume titled Reconnection is included detailing a new story of Haseo's return to The World in the hopes of rescuing his friend Ovan.

What's it about?
After his friend Shino is killed in-game and sent into a coma in real life by the mysterious Tri-Edge, the Adept Rogue Haseo logs into The World R:2, the 2nd revision of the popular VR MMO, to hunt PKs (Player Killers) in order to gain strength and track down him down.

Screenshots:

FAQ:
Q: Weren't there four games that took place before GU? Why didn't they remaster those? Do I need to play them in order to play this?
A: The four games before this one were the IMOQ quadrilogy. While its pure speculation, CC2 probably didn't remaster those because they didn't age as well and would require more significant changes in order to be up to modern standards. In addition, the GU games take place in 2017, making an HD release this year for them the perfect timing for it. While some ideas from IMOQ carry into GU and some references take place, the GU games are completely playable on their own without prior knowledge of those four games.

Q: What about the anime Roots? Do I need to watch that first? I heard its a prequel.
A: While Roots is a prequel to GU, it is not necessary in order to understand and enjoy GU, and in fact spoils some twists in GU.

Reviews:
Metacritic: 76

Dualshockers - 9/10
WCCFTech - 7/10
RPG Site - 8/10

Links:
Steam Store page
Plastation Store page
Gameplay footage

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nice!!! I didn't know there is even going to be a OT for this game. I guess there are people other than me care about G.U. coming out.
incentive-solutions-happy-tears.gif

Battlechili

Banned
Nice!!! I didn't know there is even going to be a OT for this game. I guess there are people other than me care about G.U. coming out.
incentive-solutions-happy-tears.gif
I'm too excited and in love with CC2 games to not make one. I figured it had to be done. I just hope this wasn't made too early. Also sorry I couldn't make a super pretty OP. OTs are a relatively new thing to me and the last time I did one I had help from a user who no longer seems to be here.

Danjin44

I'm too excited and in love with CC2 games to not make one. I figured it had to be done. I just hope this wasn't made too early. Also sorry I couldn't make a super pretty OP. OTs are a relatively new thing to me and the last time I did one I had help from a user who no longer seems to be here.

No the OT looks just fine, Im just happy there is even OT for G.U. It feels like there not enough people in NeoGAF care for this game.

Been kinda interested in this, but I have no knowledge of the series and have been trying to look for impressions of the original release to little success.

The gameplay looks fun enough, how long are each episode usually?

Thanks for making a OT!

I'd really like to pick up this game sometime since I've never gotten around to the GU games. It took me a very, very long time to finally make it through the original series (early high school -> first year of graduate school) but it was a really satisfying experience and I've got a lot of good memories with the series (even MORE if you count the anime and manga). I've always heard that GU is fantastic, so I really want to try this out but I jumped into Yakuza Kiwami, Star Ocean V, FFIXHD, and FFXV without finishing any of them recently...so I'll probably sit this one out until I come across a cheap copy.

Vallen

Neo Member
I'm very excited to replay these games! They were some of my most memorable JRPGs on the PS2. Will need to support this as much as I can - in the hopes of getting more .hack in the future!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The gameplay was a lot of fun. Unfortunately a little too easy most of the time, but I loved the Internet forums and interacting with a computer aspect of it

The characters are fun too and I loved the way they simulated an MMO in GU

The gameplay was a lot of fun. Unfortunately a little too easy most of the time, but I loved the Internet forums and interacting with a computer aspect of it

The characters are fun too and I loved the way they simulated an MMO in GU

This is what I really loved about the .hack games. As someone who had dial up until 2007, they scratched a very particular itch for me.

Dargor

Nice OT.

Planning to buy this remaster later on, since my backlog is way too out of hand for me to buy an entire quadrilogy right now lol

sublimit

Banned
Nice OT Battlechili1! I will be definitely picking this up (it's the only game that comes in November that i'm actually interested).Never played the original .hack games before but they were always very intriguing to me mostly due to their great art direction and music.

Battlechili

Banned
No price tag on PC?
The Amazon page shows $50 for the PC version so I'd expect that or something close to it. Possibly lower since most games on release on Steam have a discount of some sort.
Been kinda interested in this, but I have no knowledge of the series and have been trying to look for impressions of the original release to little success.

The gameplay looks fun enough, how long are each episode usually?

Thanks for making a OT!
I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you, but I genuinely don't know the length of these. Maybe someone else will know. (or I'll be able to answer once the game is out and I've played it a bit) My familiarity with the .hack// series is honestly mostly in the SIGN and Quantum anime series and the very beginning of the game Infection.

ShinZed

The individual volumes tend to average 25-30 hours if you want to do everything you can do in each of them. Probably about 15-20 each if you don't want to do the grindy endgame bits of each volume like fighting Dopplegangers etc. I hear the new volume 4 is pretty short though compared to the originals but dunno for sure obviously.

deathsaber

I have a copy preordered as well. I dabbled with the first entry of the quadrilogy back in the day, and kind of dropped it early, but now I'm excited to see what this particular series is about. It helps that everything is collected with this new version. Plus, I'm a sucker for 1080p/60 fps remasters like this.

I wish Amazon would ship sooner though- I'm given an ETA for delivery for Tuesday, even though I'm a prime member. Not sure if its a stock issue or what, but they don't seem to be offering release date delivery for this one. But I can't resist that 20% off.

RPGCrazied

Yay, its finally here! God, I haven't played these games in like a decade. Never finished the 3rd game, can't wait to play these again.

trikster40

I wish they had done the first .hack series first, but I’ll settle for GU. Hoping this does well and they remaster the first 4 games as well!! Buying mine today!

MogCakes

They would have to remake IMOQ or at least give it a major texture overhaul. It's combat system is pretty janky and wouldn't fly in today's climate too, though I liked it for what it was.

Danjin44

They would have to remake IMOQ or at least give it a major texture overhaul. It's combat system is pretty janky and wouldn't fly in today's climate too, though I liked it for what it was.

They need more than that, they need to make new models. I liked IMOQ but that game's visual was dated even first came out.

MegaBro

Neo Member
Never played this series before but looks pretty cool. $49.99 seems like a pretty steep price tag for this though being a PS2 remaster (although I know it's 3 games). I think I'll wait for it to go on sale for around $30.

bigedole

I started this last night, spent the 90 minutes watching the 4 terminal disk files. Have already watched SIGN and ROOTS, I am ready to go! I only did the initial tutorial and read through all the forum and news stuff (took me over 30 minutes lol). Gonna get into the meat of this starting tonight, been pretty excited for this.

GeoMantle

Neo Member
Any word on how well optimized the PC version is? I think I’m in if I can play this at a reasonable speed on my GPD win.

Danjin44

Just seeing that fight between Haseo and
Asura Kite
in the opening bring back so much good memories.

ShinZed

Just started playing it with default options and suffering a whole hell of a lot of screen tearing. Guess I need to tinker with the settings a bit.

Never played, nor watched any of the anime, but I'm interested. May watch the anime first and put the game on my Steam wishlist for the time being. I'll look forward to seeing people's impressions. :)

Pesmerga00

Never played, nor watched any of the anime, but I'm interested. May watch the anime first and put the game on my Steam wishlist for the time being. I'll look forward to seeing people's impressions. :)

While it is not necessary, I would recommend watching .hack/Roots first. There are quite a few callbacks that you would miss otherwise.

RPGCrazied

Got it! Spent like 2 hours watching the terminal disk stuff and reading the forum/news posts.

One thing I wish you could turn off subtitles, I don't remember them being there in the originals.

Danjin44

Im guessing we are not going to see much review from this game. .hack is just not really popular here.

Battlechili

Banned
Just a heads up: The game's AA is downsampling, so if you're finding that the game is demanding, that's why.
On another note, so far I've been loving this game. Haseo is so incredibly edgy in a fun kind of way. The music is gorgeous too, though LieN has always been good about that.

EDIT: Updated the OP to include a few reviews. Reviews appear to be scarce.

Dark Link

I totally lost it when I started Volume 1 and saw the glorious 60 frames and super speedy running. Along with the huge amount of QoL changes it's like I'm playing a new version of G.U.

akumu

So stoked it's finally here! Part of me wants to jump straight to vol. 4, yet I also wanna replay the first three volumes, but that'll take weeks just to finish one volume. Damn.

Top Bottom