• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indivisible: Valkyrie Profile/Metroid, Indiegogo, PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/XB1 -- funded!

Ultimadrago

I've said it before, but commissioning awesome game music from the likes of Yamane and Kikuta might be my favorite part of my job.

And I've got a ton of awesome stuff banked for the future as we reveal more levels, etc.

Like, the battle theme in the AX2017 sizzle reel and another battle theme I can listen to looped all day, pretty much.

When commissioning something like a character theme, what resources do you provide the composer to work with? For example, do you send over Ajna's profile or a bio of her personality to fit with the music? Maybe more of just a general genre/cultural reference?

Anbec7

I've said it before, but commissioning awesome game music from the likes of Yamane and Kikuta might be my favorite part of my job.

And I've got a ton of awesome stuff banked for the future as we reveal more levels, etc.

Like, the battle theme in the AX2017 sizzle reel and another battle theme I can listen to looped all day, pretty much.

Oh god how much I hate you, I mostly listen to battle themes when I run and I'm running out of them at the moment :( throw us something later.

In the meantime Ajna theme is really relaxing... I like it a lot!

jb1234

Awesome. Can you answer how much he's written so far?

Ravidrath

When commissioning something like a character theme, what resources do you provide the composer to work with? For example, do you send over Ajna's profile or a bio of her personality to fit with the music? Maybe more of just a general genre/cultural reference?

Generally music falls into two categories for us: environmental and cinematic.

For environmental stuff, we mostly provide art, a story summary for that region, and some keywords. In almost all cases, he's nailed these on the first try. But in the cases where he hasn't, we'll follow up with some references to help guide him towards the feeling we're looking for.

For cinematic / character stuff, which is more emotionally ambiguous and difficult to describe, we start out with reference music, as well as story summaries and keywords.

And for what it's worth, virtually all of the "misses" are still great pieces of music, so we find other uses for them. For example, one track for a particular sequence in the game didn't fit what we were looking for, but made a great general tension / excitment / shit happening track. So we kept that for that purpose, and then provided additional reference to get what we were looking for on the other one.

In addition to this, I walked Kikuta through the entire story over a lovely dinner when I was in Tokyo for TGS last year, so he'd have a sense of what we were looking for. And we also sent over a translated outline of the entire story after that.

He promised that the music at the end would make people cry.

For Ajna's theme in particular, it was always envisioned as being the same theme as the main theme, just as a more personal, quiet take on it. So we started with reference for the main theme, and then once we got that done, we had him prepare the Ajna theme "remix."

Oh god how much I hate you, I mostly listen to battle themes when I run and I'm running out of them at the moment :( throw us something later.

Because each region has its own exploration and battle theme, this game will have a LOT of battle music. Not to mention boss music. So you should have quite the playlist for your running. Estimating around 15-20 tracks that would fit that description?

Awesome. Can you answer how much he's written so far?

I need to actually sit down and add all this up, but I'd estimate that we've probably got around an hour of music right now.

jb1234

A typical CD on average holds about 70-80 minutes of uncompressed music.

So you're close to having Disc 1 in the bag.

More, actually. I believe he's referring to an hour of music that hasn't been looped. So for a proper soundtrack presentation, it would be more like two discs.

Ravidrath

More, actually. I believe he's referring to an hour of music that hasn't been looped. So for a proper soundtrack presentation, it would be more like two discs.

We did single loop for the Skullgirls physical OST, but for this I'd like to try for double loop... which likely means 4 discs.

Don't think it will up the cost too much, but we'll see.

I guess part of the "problem" with that, though, is that the physical OSTs are more likely to be used as collectibles than actually listened to, at this point. And people will probably keep it wrapped and listen to their digital OST instead, which will definitely be double-looped.

So I guess it makes me wonder if it's worth the added cost of making a 4-disc double-looped physical OST instead of a 2-disc single-loop?

NEO0MJ

We did single loop for the Skullgirls physical OST, but for this I'd like to try for double loop... which likely means 4 discs.

Don't think it will up the cost too much, but we'll see.

I guess part of the "problem" with that, though, is that the physical OSTs are more likely to be used as collectibles than actually listened to, at this point. And people will probably keep it wrapped and listen to their digital OST instead, which will definitely be double-looped.

So I guess it makes me wonder if it's worth the added cost of making a 4-disc double-looped physical OST instead of a 2-disc single-loop?

I guess the only prob with going single loop is that it might give a wrong impression to fans? I admit, I never use my physical releases except to rip them if there's no digital version of a sound track.

I've just got to ask, is buying the physical edition through indiegogo the only way to get a physical copy? (Speaking about the switch version in particular)

I won't be able to back/buy it until August and I want to get a physical version for the switch.

kami_sama

I've just got to ask, is buying the physical edition through indiegogo the only way to get a physical copy? (Speaking about the switch version in particular)

I won't be able to back/buy it until August and I want to get a physical version for the switch.

There will be a physical edition, but the collector's edition is only on indiegogo.
But I think you can buy it until the end of this year, so you got time.

Ultimadrago

Thanks for that fleshed answer, Ravi!

A retail version is planned, only the Collector's Edition is limited to the indiegogo backing. For the latter you should have time until about the close of this year.

Edit: Beaten

Ravidrath

New update today, focusing on Nuna's animations and gameplay!

http://www.indivisiblegame.com/2017/07/18/nuna-animation-gameplay/

tumblr_otb4qyzwKq1uzx2jzo2_500.gif

Ultimadrago

Today's update is about the painstaking process of finalizing the backer statue!

http://www.indivisiblegame.com/2017/08/18/ajna-heruka-statue-update/

macrulesworldgrownupeqsw6.gif

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect of the statue from the original design and was hoping it would be changed drastically to look more on-model over time. This design is a complete overhaul and looks much cooler! The final paintjob is still yet to be seen, but this concept is very promising and closer to something I'd want to display.

Soulstar

Today's update is about the painstaking process of finalizing the backer statue!

http://www.indivisiblegame.com/2017/08/18/ajna-heruka-statue-update/

That statue is looking really good. Looking so good in fact that I am pretty tempted to up my pledge even though I don't particularly like statues.

Also I didn't mention this earlier but I am really liking how Yan and Thorani are shaping up. They were two of my favorite incarnations so I am happy to see that they will both be playable.

Ravidrath

Pretty sure it's a first to have the Backer Preview on console! Another Lab Zero first!

Similar to the Skullgirls Endless Beta, we'll be periodically updating the Backer Preview with new changes and, eventually, a new level.

Ravidrath

Awesome, sucks Nintendo doesn't allow early access betas yet...

Can I back for the Switch version and do the Beta for the PS4?

To clarify the above...

Yes, you can.

To do so, contribute at the BackerKit pre-order store, then contact BK customer service and ask them to switch the Backer Preview (might be listed in their system as Steam Beta) to the PS4 version.

Unfortunately this is the only way to do it, because we're doing weird things BK never anticipated.

Does the $30 tier from backerkit include the backer exclusive colors? There's no mention of them in the description.

Yes.

Thanks for reminding me - I need to update the BackerKit item descriptions tomorrow with info about the Backer Preview, and I'll be sure to mention the exclusive character colors in that.

Ultimadrago

Perhaps the Duality Statue images on Backerkit should be updated now that there's a new final design? The chibi/preview images are still of the original.

NEO0MJ

Seeing it in 3D made me wonder, how do those prayer beads hold on to her head? They're don't really grip well with anything nor are they heavy.

Top Bottom