• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which SFV newcomer do you think will stand the test of time?

I-hate-u

IIRC is was with the rumor with the new outfits, those new outfits hadn't released so no one believed it. Now that it is, people are a little more warm on the rumor. IIRC its the one that had multiple game modes that were going to be put in the game. A second story was one of them.

Hmm...

Yeah even so I think the story mode will focus on S2 and some of the S3 characters. Necalli is done.

I hope Laura sticks around. They need another staple female character and I really like her playstyle. I expected crimson viper to be in sf5 though too.

But Rashid is an awesome design and character too.

I-hate-u

I wouldn't say that, he's a " bad guy" if not a force of nature , so you can always use a character like that.

Bison's soul is running around... maybe that's how they get rid of that plot thread

Necalli eats him

I don't know how to feel about that. Eventually they're gonna think up something past SF3 story wise and I doubt they completely erase Bison's chance of coming back.

Codeblue

Rashid is returning for sure. His theme song is too good not to reuse.

I hope Fang comes back. Really interesting character that's fun to watch at top level.

Forward

Sean is already a billion times better character than his sister, AND he's part of the "future" roster, whereas big sis isn't. Laura is an after-thought waiting to be retconned. The only reason she might not be, is if Capcom literally forgets her dull as powder self exists in the first place. Heck, I've forgotten her already. La Roo?

EDIT:

Laura is the Golf of E-Sports.

I-hate-u

I really don't understand Laura's infatuation. She is terribly designed, lacks any sort of personality, and would be a nothing character if her brother wasn't Sean.

Rashid is 1 and Fang is 2.

LakeEarth

Rashid all the way.

I have no idea why people are saying Laura. Her entire character is "bimbo". Not what I'd call memorable.

Village

I don't know how to feel about that. Eventually they're gonna think up something past SF3 story wise and I doubt they completely erase Bison's chance of coming back.

This is how you make bison come back

You put him in a game

Injustice 2 has a character that's literally dead and is a figment of a characters imagination in it

Just put em in

I really don't understand Laura's infatuation. She is terribly designed, lacks any sort of personality, and would be a nothing character if her brother wasn't Sean.

Rashid is 1 and Fang is 2.
tbh I really think it's the boobs

but I dont play Laura so maybe shes actually fun to use. Necalli or Ed totally deserve to come back over her imo

Zyrox

Abigail has more personality than the rest of the newcomers, so him. And Rashid and FANG I guess. Rashid because Capcom really seems to want to push him given that he's basically the main character of the story mode and FANG because...well, I don't really know but I feel he is the most classic feeling character of the newcomers. Could easily see him hang around in SF2. He's just the right brand of weirdness I guess.

Man, I've actually dug all the newcomers so far to a degree.
Poor Necalli was done so dirty by the story mode that he's being buried in this thread.

Anywho, I think it's clear that Rashid is the standout for most folks, he's even got that simple (albeit it stereotyped) visual look that slots in well with the SF2 classics. Throw in a chipper personality and a good story mode focus alongside a relatively unique moveset angle (any other SF characters use wind based attacks?) and he's got a lot going for him.

Quick thoughts on the rest.

Laura is the most plain of the newcomers, basically just "the hot one" for this entry and thus my choice for the weakest but still not without some merit.

FANG is great, very unique look, alas he kinda sucks to actually play as even with an intersting posion gimmick. Like with Rashid story mode worked out well for his eccentric self.

Necalli I'm fond of because his stye of fighting is well realised and animated, great feral brutality to his movements. Recieves the opposite effect to FANG and Rashid in regards to story mode so hopefully if they do a round 2 for this he gets a better spotlight.

Kolin doesn't do much for me personality wise but she's got a great look and cool moveset, pushes her up to one of my favourites as a result.

My initial action to buff Ed was negative but I've really come around on him, his prolouge story set up a lot of interesting plot points (what's with the goriila?!) and even boosted Balrog in the process. Simple inputs moveset with an interesting psycho power boxer hook just needs a little fine tuning. Battle Outfit 1 is dope.

Abigail is the master of overcoming the negative first impression, he's like the right kind of hideous character if that makes sense, one you look at thinking "what the shit is this garbage" but has a ton of small mannerisms in his animations and such to potentially win people over.

Now...when's Menat?!

Neoxon

Probably Rashid, Menat, Ed, & Kolin.

ERHaVtz.png
mpdqOso.png
YhelxMo.png
UgOowik.png

• Rashid because of his overall great personality, unique moveset, & him basically being the main character of SFV. Bonus props to Ian Sinclair (who some of you may know as Space Dandy & Whis) for absolutely nailing his performance as Rashid.
  • Menat because of her sheer popularity & the fact that she now has ties to Ed's story, much like how her master (Rose) is tied to Bison. That said, I could see said ties being for Menat helping Ed be free of Bison permanently.
  • Ed because he's been a character that Capcom's been preparing since SSFIV & is probably gonna be one of the main guys going forward. Capcom's setting up way too much with Ed for him not to be used in future entries.
  • Kolin due to her ties with the Illuminati (who will become a bigger deal later).

Menat has potential as well, but we'll have to wait until she actually comes out to be sure. Laura as well depending on how they treat the Matsuda family going forward (plus her popularity). But if we get Laura back, I think she'll be toned down due to Street Fighter becoming a more prominent esport. F.A.N.G also has potential due to his unique playstyle & the potential he could bring to the story. You could either have F.A.N.G attempt to revive Shadaloo or ally himself with the Illuminati (then figure out that it was the Illuminati who helped bring about Bison's downfall).

Rashid and Laura are great designs who I hope will be in future instalments.

I don't really hate any of the newcomers, they're certainly a lot better than IV's newbies.

Pompadour

Probably Rashid. He's the Juri of SFV as the clear stand out of the newcomers. It's a little closer than it was for SFIV, however. I'd say every newcomer is a good character whereas in SFIV I'd be fine with never seeing Rufus, Fuerte, or Seth again. Even characters like Laura, whom isn't my favorite, is just kind of a pleasant bland like Abel.

El Sloth

Banned
Abigail and Rashid for sure. I think Kolin will stick around too. FANG is one of the four kings now, so hopefully he isn't a one-and-done because I think he's hilarious and has a pretty cool moveset.

I hope they redesign Ed if they do bring him back. Make him younger and slimmer. It's weird that he became a full grown roided man because of "psycho power"".

I hope Necalli and Laura go the way of El Fuerte and disappear never to be mentioned again

Neoxon

Abigail and Rashid for sure. I think Kolin will stick around too. FANG is one of the four kings now, so hopefully he isn't a one-and-done.

I hope they redesign Ed if they do bring him back. Make him younger and slimmer. It's weird that he became a full grown roided man because of "psycho power"".

I hope Necalli and Laura go the way of El Fuerte and disappear never to be mentioned again
The problem is that F.A.N.G is one of the four kings of an organization that no longer exists. There are other things you could do with F.A.N.G going forward, though.

As for Ed, his size is due to his accelerated aging. And even then, he isn't as big as, say, Balrog. Due to this, I suppose Capcom could get away with slimming Ed down a bit in future entries if they wanted to.

Concerning Abigail, I'd be cool with him coming back, especially if Hugo doesn't come to SFV by the end of Season 5 (so we can have our Abigail vs. Hugo fight).

El Sloth

Banned
The problem is that F.A.N.G is one of the four kings of an organization that no longer exists. There are other things you could do with F.A.N.G going forward, though.

As for Ed, his size is due to his accelerated aging. And even then, he isn't as big as, say, Balrog. Due to this, I suppose Capcom could get away with slimming Ed down a bit in future entries if they wanted to.

I don't really care what bullshit excuse Capcom came up with to make Ed look the way he does now. They can bullshit it away just as easily ("hey Bison's dead, which caused to get younger for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" etc.) if they wanted to. I doubt that'd ever actually happen.

FANG has plenty L O R E reasons to stick around, more than that I just think it's cool to have a character with poison in street fighter.

Neoxon

I don't really care what bullshit excuse Capcom came up with to make Ed look the way he does now. They can bullshit it away just as easily ("hey Bison's dead, which caused to get younger for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" etc.) if they wanted to. I doubt that'd ever actually happen.

FANG has plenty L O R E reasons to stick around, more than that I just think it's cool to have a character with poison in street fighter.
Even with Bison dead, his spirit is still trying to possess Ed's body. Either way, while I do think that Capcom could slim Ed down a bit, I don't think that they'll de-age him.

Village

I don't really care what bullshit excuse Capcom came up with to make Ed look the way he does now. They can bullshit it away just as easily ("hey Bison's dead, which caused to get younger for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" etc.) if they wanted to.

You could do a lot of dumb story things, but they shouldn't do that. Because its actually a good story reason and he's fine.

Personal preference, I would say Rashid, Laura, and Abigail.

Reality, Rashid and Laura are likely. The rest probably not, for reasons of being tied specifically to SFV's story or just being generally not very well received.

El Sloth

Banned
You could do a lot of dumb story things, but they shouldn't do that. Because its actually a good story reason and he's fine.
Well, I disagree. I think he looks funky. I think they could do better

Edit: Honestly, I just want him to look closer to their art of him than how he actually looks.

Pompadour

I don't really care what bullshit excuse Capcom came up with to make Ed look the way he does now. They can bullshit it away just as easily ("hey Bison's dead, which caused to get younger for some reason ¯_(ツ)_/¯" etc.) if they wanted to. I doubt that'd ever actually happen.

If Ed showed up in a future game he could be slimmer due to the art style.

I want to see some of these newcomers in MvCI to see a refined take on the character design. C. Viper looked like a mess in SF4 but her design in MvC3 was actually pretty great.

Neoxon

Out of all of them Id probably say Rashid.

Besides him theyre all pretty terrible
They're definitely a step-up from most of SFIV's newcomers. With the exceptions of Juri, Crimson Viper, maybe Decapre, & technically Poison, most of what SFIV brought to the table was pretty forgettable. You could probably trim some fat from SFV's newcomer list, but they're all at least tolerable. In my case, the fact that I don't have any of SFV's newbies as much as I hate Rufus is a step-up (a shame considering that Tekken did the concept of a fat fighter much better with Bob than Street Fighter did with Rufus). Abel's alright, though. But like Laura, he doesn't stand out all that much. I think the right term for Abel would be "inoffensive", but I will give him props for his MMA fighting style.

Scotia

Banned
All in all SFV's newcomers are far, far better than SF4's. Apart from Abel, Juri, Poison and Viper the rest of SF4's newcomers can be thrown in the trash where they belong.

Village

Well, I disagree. I think he looks funky. I think they could do better

Edit: Honestly, I just want him to look closer to their art of him than how he actually looks.

The only thing I want them to change is his outfit. Make his battle costume his main outfit

El Sloth

Banned
The only thing I want them to change is his outfit. Make his battle costume his main outfit
Hoodie > *. I do like his Battle Outfit too though, we should get more fanservice Ed. Summer Speedo Ed when? His regular outfit is so garbage. The hat.....

YES. The default costume is so damn shitty and the battle costume is so good that I ended up spending money on it.

All in all SFV's newcomers are far, far better than SF4's. Apart from Abel, Juri, Poison and Viper the rest of SF4's newcomers can be thrown in the trash where they belong.
Actually I wish they would bring Abel back, I liked playing as him in IV.

Z..

As far as designs go, I hate them all.

Love Necalli and Rashid's move sets, though. Greatc chars to play as.

I really love Abigail and I think his playstyle is unique enough to see him return.

Boring ol' Laura is probably most likely though. I'd welcome Rashid back.

zenspider

I like Ed. He's got like this wierd homo-erotic white supremacist vibe with and S+M twist. I don't know if it will stand the test of time, but I'd like to see Capcom lean into kink with him in the future.

Rashid? He looked dated on arrival. Dude looks like a 90's era Soul Calibur knockoff reject. Even his alts can't save him. His background and "power visor" remind me of theEric Andre google robot.

FANG and Abigail look out of place in thier own game! Not going anywhere.

My answer is Laura. She's pretty straightforward design wise (a gi with some décolletage), has a unique moveset, and can be updated or reimagined easily. I'd like to see more Mitsudas in this game and in the future.

Kolin is pretty solid as well, but has more story baggage if that matters.

Real answer:
Nadeshiko. Best girl.

Top Bottom