• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Alan Wake is great for this. There's various TVs throughout the game that if you turn on play episodes of a show called 'Night Springs', the game universe's satirical take on The Twilight Zone.
I'm a horrible man.. Alan Wake's been sitting on my computer for months, untouched. I might have to spend a week or two with it. :/

That sentence makes me giddy

What if that Metroid x Star Fox is true; Nintendo shows a fanfiction trailer which is really really bad and the whole audience falls into silence. During the trailer the screen gets all distorted and a man's voice fills the theatre exclaiming "This... can't be happening!" All of a sudden Reggie comes up with a giant smirk and tells us: "Nah, none of that stupid stuff is true. Retro is actually making Eternal Darkness 2, we just wanted to make you sweat fear"

Meanwhile Reggie turns into Pious Augustus and the crowd goes wild
Reggie in that costume would be quite good. I also would like Miyamoto dressed for the occasion.

EDarkness

Star Fox and Metroid...mixed? As in one game? Damn. I'd be interested. Would have to see it in action to get an idea of what's going on.

wsippel

Banned
Regarding the ongoing question whether the CPU is iO or OoO: I don't know, but looking through the GHS Multi documentation, it doesn't look like the compiler Nintendo uses supports any in-order CPUs. Considering iO CPUs rely heavily on compiler optimizations, and Nintendo uses a compiler that's not designed for iO CPUs, it's most likely out-of-order.

Azure J

I am so far gone right now that this news from Paul Gale has me in a perpetual state of "what the actual fuck" at current.

How could that be anything but bad fanfiction tier stuff?

HylianTom

Banned
I am so far gone right now that this news from Paul Gale has me in a perpetual state of "what the actual fuck" at current.

How could that be anything but bad fanfiction tier stuff?
I just found it. Not sure what to think, other than maybe mild, slightly uncomfortable laughter. But I'll wait and see. I did kinda enjoy the adventure part of SFA, so a return to on-foot exploration, puzzles, etc would be welcome.

Paul Gale's really putting his name on the line for this one.. :)
(If/when it stays a rumor at E3, I hope someone asks a dev about this rumor during E3)

Luigiv

Regarding the ongoing question whether the CPU is iO or OoO: I don't know, but looking through the GHS Multi documentation, it doesn't look like the compiler Nintendo uses supports any in-order CPUs. Considering iO CPUs rely heavily on compiler optimizations, and Nintendo uses a compiler that's not designed for iO CPUs, it's most likely out-of-order.

Wouldn't an in order CPU make Wii Hardware Emulation impossible?

TrueBlue

There already is Mario vs DK as a series. And it's still ongoing.

True, but I was thinking of a more conventional crossover. The Star Fox - Metroid rumor involves both of the series main playstyles and tones being fused. With that, I'd love to see a Mario/ DK 2D platformer. I think it'd be awesome to see Mario using the barrels through the jungle, or DK punching out Bowser.

Paul Gale

If Paul Gale is still here, do you have anything about Castlevania 3DS ?

You know, two years ago at E3 I spoke with Koji Igarashi from Castlevania fame and he more or less said that he had ideas to take the series further, specifically when I asked about if a 3DS game was in the works, but never heard from him since on the subject. Around half a year later, December, 2010, the same source that brought me the MGS 5 news that wound up being true told me that work had already begun on a 3DS Castlevania. That was 1.5 years ago and so if such a title has been in development, I sure want to know where it is, because with a development cycle that long, if it's still being made, could be pretty cool. Sorry though, but I don't have anything new or substantial on the subject. :(

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I think is only a misunderstand, not important.

Wii U won't have 3 gb ... (for the above post).

Yeah it's because of the OS term, you thought and certainly some others as well, that i was talking about only the operating system, the "Windows", the software that the machine load into the memory to work + display the interface / manage all the features, whereas i putted marks on it ("OS"), talked about "software layer", features, etc. The OS in the strict definition of the word, obviously doesn't take all the RAM memory space my sources can't tap from, neither all the flash memory where it's stored, but it seems the OS + all the system features, in a v4 dev kit context, need a large amount of memory.

I'm sorry if it could have confused some people to believe that the OS is that huge, this is why i always added "features", "functions", after :)

But i think the flash dedicated to this OS is really telling about what Nintendo envision, at least at a particular time, for the Wii U. I mean, why reserving 512MB of a specific flash, separated from the other flash (as i understood) for your OS, if it will only occupy a mere 10/20/30MB like the current gen HD systems ? I think it's safe to assume, with this element combined with my first point (my sources talking about the ram memory pool they can't access + multi-tasking/pause-mode for games/a lot of features/their limited knowledge of the software layer until recently) that Nintendo will be ambitious, directly at launch or with planned following updates, for this department.

And for the RAM, yeah definitively not 3GB, nor 2,5GB.

kami_sama

What does mean for the performance being iO or OoO?

HylianTom

Banned
Meh for the starfox/metroid rumor, in the event it's true :/
Meh is a good way of expressing my thoughts on this. Not bouncing-off-the-walls excited, not bouncing-off-the-walls disgusted. Just somewhere in the middle.

First, we have to see if this rumor pans-out.
Then, if indeed true, we have to see how it's executed. Out of deference for Retro, I won't render final judgement until I see what this looks like.

I know one thing.. I think I'd rather see a SFA-style adventure game from Retro rather than this.

That sentence makes me giddy

What if that Metroid x Star Fox is true; Nintendo shows a fanfiction trailer which is really really bad and the whole audience falls into silence. During the trailer the screen gets all distorted and a man's voice fills the theatre exclaiming "This... can't be happening!" All of a sudden Reggie comes up with a giant smirk and tells us: "Nah, none of that stupid stuff is true. Retro is actually making Eternal Darkness 2, we just wanted to make you sweat fear"

Meanwhile Reggie turns into Pious Augustus and the crowd goes wild

I would love that!

Damn we really need Eternal Darkness 2 :(

Shiggy

No news about Killer Rabbids Freaks From Outer Space? But here is an oldie from pre-production.

rabbids5rxwf.jpg

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Meh is a good way of expressing my thoughts on this. Not bouncing-off-the-walls excited, not bouncing-off-the-walls disgusted. Just somewhere in the middle.

First, we have to see if this rumor pans-out.
Then, if indeed true, we have to see how it's executed. Out of deference for Retro, I won't render final judgement until I see what this looks like.

I know one thing.. I think I'd rather see a SFA-style adventure game from Retro rather than this.

Oh i have a complete confidence on their skill to make a superb title, it's just that i can't stop my mind thinking "again these franchises ?".

I wish to see them in something new.

wsippel

Banned
What does mean for the performance being iO or OoO?
Out-of-order CPUs are more complex and expensive (and typically quite a bit slower on paper), but easier to develop for. Which is a good thing, as game code is rarely well optimized, and less optimized code usually performs better on OoO CPUs.

z0m3le

Banned
I could see them taking StarFox and making it more like Metroid in terms of exploration, but a cross over just weakens both brands, I don't see it happening. Good news is, it's 17 days away and so a rumor like this doesn't really need to be dwelled on much.

japtor

But then what has monster games been cooking these past few years? Surely not pilot wings alone. believe.
EXCITE BOAT? (Wave Race)

I'd be fine with them handling F-Zero. Or Mario Kart? Anything with vehicles I guess, just make them handle online better.
If it works, just about, on 3DS, why can't it work on Wii U with it's additional CPU power/ more cores? It doesn't need to support multiple tabs or anything (though they could have a dedicated browser that supports multiple tabs which can only be launched separately to a game)
Supposedly it has an extra ARM core for extra OS stuff, if true it opens up a bunch of multitasking possibilities.
Wouldn't an in order CPU make Wii Hardware Emulation impossible?
How so?
True, but I was thinking of a more conventional crossover. The Star Fox - Metroid rumor involves both of the series main playstyles and tones being fused. With that, I'd love to see a Mario/ DK 2D platformer. I think it'd be awesome to see Mario using the barrels through the jungle, or DK punching out Bowser.
And they are sort of in the same universe after all, all the way back to the first Donkey Kong, so it wouldn't be all bizarro crazy like Star Fox-Metroid.
(big post about OS RAM/storage memory)
I figured most people were thinking of the OS the same way you were...which still seems huge when you consider stuff like Android/iOS device specs that have similar amounts of RAM for the whole device.

As for a separate fixed pool of storage for the OS, that seems weird just cause it could screw themselves down the line if they need more (unless they can just use the regular flash pool), such as on my old 360 with something like 4MB free out of 256 cause all the damn software updates and Kinect software (hey I got it for Christmas, didn't buy it myself!).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No news about Killer Rabbids Freaks From Outer Space? But here is an oldie from pre-production.

I do hope Killer Freaks is good. I'm a sucker for pulpy, stupid violent fun (see: HOTD: Overkill) and I'm hoping Killer Freaks fills the grindhouse monster film gap. Lots of shooty and splatty.

Do we know much about the title beyond the original reveal? Size of the staff?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anybody believing this StarFox/Metroid rumour is out of his goddamn mind.

My UE4 on Nintendo's Stage prediction has more chance of happening then this!

wsippel

Banned
Anybody believing this StarFox/Metroid rumour is out of his goddamn mind.

My UE4 on Nintendo's Stage prediction has more chance of happening then this!
I agree. And I really, really hope we're both right. I don't care for Starfox, but this would be the completely wrong direction for Metroid. The polar opposite of what Nintendo could - and should - do with the franchise.

Portugeezer

Would prefer an F-Zero X Metroid just because the universes are sci-fi based...
jizz.gif

not sure about Samus + Furries, doesn't fit, probably fake.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Am I the only one that is bothered NOT because of the combination of the gameplay, but because the crossover doesn't make sense and missed an opportunity of something else? What I'm getting at is that Star Fox and F-Zero makes more sense since they pretty much admitted to exist in the same universe.

Would prefer an F-Zero X Metroid just because the universes are sci-fi based...
jizz.gif

not sure about Samus + Furries, doesn't fit, probably fake.

You do know by definition Chozo are furries too right?

burst

i think we all agree, its a bit of a "meh" for the metroid/starfox premise. It does not make much sense, it sounds like to separate game which ultimately tie in towards the end, so what's the point really. Just give us 2 separate fully fledged games rather.

I'm calling bogus on this rumour. If it turns out to be right, i'm sure retro will ensure it is a AAA title.

wsippel

Banned
The Acid Ghost rumor reminds me of Vision Red in the pre-Wii era. Funnily enough, while the rumor itself was obviously complete bullshit, what it was promising actually kinda happened a few years later. :)

Would prefer an F-Zero X Metroid just because the universes are sci-fi bases... not sure about Samus + Furries, doesn't fit, probably fake.
Makes no sense either. Both Starfox and F-Zero are light hearted and cartoony, whereas Metroid is heavily inspired by the Alien series, features a sadistic, genocidal maniac as the main antagonist, genetically engineered bioweapons and super soldiers, a highly dubious military, and a race of aliens feeding by sinking three giant, sharp teeth in the heads of their victims, keeping them alive in the process. If Nintendo has one franchise that should target an M rating, all dark, sinister and bloody, it's Metroid.

ugoo18

Am I the only one that is bothered NOT because of the combination of the gameplay, but because the crossover doesn't make sense and missed an opportunity of something else? What I'm getting at is that Star Fox and F-Zero makes more sense since they pretty much admitted to exist in the same universe.

Wait what?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

Darryl

Banned
if this rumor is true, we're basically getting a 2-for-1 Star Fox / Metroid game both developed by Retro, and people are actually upset by this?

you might get a game worthy of being a standalone either, just as DLC!

Dr.Hadji

if this rumor is true, we're basically getting a 2-for-1 Star Fox / Metroid game both developed by Retro, and people are actually upset by this?

I get the feeling the Star Fox fans like the idea while the Metroid fans do not.

Boss Doggie

I get the feeling the Star Fox fans like the idea while the Metroid fans do not.

Eh I'm pretty indifferent.

Wait what?

My post...
What I'm talking about is stuff like G-Diffuser technology, Octoman appearing in both games, F-Zero in Star Fox, etc. They're pretty much giving shoutouts to each other that they pretty much beg to be in the same game at some point.

Luigiv

Nice to see you live in a fantasy world where good taste and opportunity cost don't exist.

Effect

No problem from me if this crossover is true. As long as it played well and Wii Remote and nunchuck was used. That's something I simply can't compromise on. I just can't going forward.

BurntPork

Banned
Maybe the truth is that Retro is working on two games: One Star Fox and one Metriod.

Or maybe it's not a crossover, but rather a Star Fox game with Metroid Prime-like land gameplay and setting.

Darryl

Banned
Nice to see you live in a fantasy world where good taste and opportunity cost don't exist.

I don't see you could bring something like opportunity cost into this. There's no telling whether or not they've been given a higher budget because of the massiveness of this "project".

Boss Doggie

Screw this game, I'm already dreaming of an action game in the vein of DMC and Bayonetta but starring Captain Falcon. Pole dancing not necessary.

likeGdid

The Komayto-Metroid connection means my Kid Icarus - Metroid - Star Fox connection theory is plausible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom