• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Justin
Member
(08-08-2017, 08:57 PM)
The cat deck seems a whole lot more interesting than the dragon one so far.
FreedomFrisbee
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:01 PM)
FreedomFrisbee's Avatar

Originally Posted by charlequin

Rosewater was pretty explicit that they got nothing but negative feedback about this. They already started walking it back just in M15.

They even learned from this with Atogs. Rosewater clearly wanted Atog to be in Kaladesh but the community told him it had to be recognizably Atog or not an Atog. So we got Gremlins instead.
Crocodile
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:12 PM)
Crocodile's Avatar

Originally Posted by divisionbyzorro

Well then.

Fugly art but this is my favorite of the cards they have revealed so far. I'm really bummed this is the only one of this cycle that made it to print :(
Santiako
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:12 PM)
Santiako's Avatar


New cards, cool dragon and political white boardwipe.
Firemind
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:16 PM)
Firemind's Avatar
They know dragons are in red's color pie right?
Santiako
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:17 PM)
Santiako's Avatar

Originally Posted by Firemind

They know dragons are in red's color pie right?

It's a 5 colour deck, they have to stretch the pie thin.
Yeef
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:18 PM)
Yeef's Avatar
Fortunate Few is a cool design, but has the potential to backfire if no one picks any of your stuff.
Firemind
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:21 PM)
Firemind's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

It's a 5 colour deck, they have to stretch the pie thin.

Well, I mean, the white and black one are at least functional. The red one is just bad.
Poppy
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:23 PM)
Poppy's Avatar
yeah casting fortunate few seems like a really bad idea, people are just going to screw you over

at least that would happen in every game that i cast it
Santiako
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:31 PM)
Santiako's Avatar


I love this haha
Yeef
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:33 PM)
Yeef's Avatar
Really cool design.
Poodlestrike
Banned
(08-08-2017, 09:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Santiako



I love this haha

Oh, this is delightful. Really piss off one person but make everybody else like you.
Poppy
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:41 PM)
Poppy's Avatar
more like donate a copy of a card that will ruin their game to every opponent

esper demonic pact here i come
Santiako
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:44 PM)
Santiako's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poppy

more like donate a copy of a card that will ruin their game to every opponent

esper demonic pact here i come

Phages for everyone!
Poppy
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:45 PM)
Poppy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

Phages for everyone!

oh shit thats mean
Imperfected
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Poppy

yeah casting fortunate few seems like a really bad idea, people are just going to screw you over

at least that would happen in every game that i cast it

You apparently play with really weird people.

Usually a board wipe gets brought down because a specific player is getting out of control, in which case everyone but that player is generally grateful for it, and is going to be extra grateful if you're providing an opportunity for them to salvage some of their own board.
Poppy
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:50 PM)
Poppy's Avatar
i play on mtgo with randos so yes you are correct

you dont expect anything well reasoned when you join one of those games
Imperfected
Member
(08-08-2017, 09:52 PM)
Is the MTGO EDH community really that bad? I think most games I've played in (offline, in person) there's been at least one roundabout the table where I've had people literally ask the table if anyone could please sweep the board.

Heck, with my Child of Alara deck I've had scenarios where players team up to find a way to crack it so they can get the board cleared.
Joe Molotov
(08-08-2017, 10:03 PM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

so wizards realized what commander is about after 5 years?

I hope you like drawing cards because check out Kindred Discovery!
...
And that's not even thinking about what happens when you make a bunch of tokens! Turn Hordeling Outburst in your Goblin deck into "make three 1/1s, draw three cards."

They think people are out there playing Blue Goblin decks, so I'm not so sure.
Yeef
Member
(08-08-2017, 10:11 PM)
Yeef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

They think people are out there playing Blue Goblin decks, so I'm not so sure.

I'm sure there are people out there with Mizzix goblin decks, even if they'r enot competitive.
blindrocket
Member
(08-08-2017, 10:22 PM)
blindrocket's Avatar
I have some sweet news! I am a winner of the Channel Fireball summer giveaway! I don't know what prize I want to select yet but it's pretty awesome to win!

Originally Posted by Lazy vs Crazy

New commander decks are up on Massdrop for $100 for all four, free shipping.

Probably worth it.

Link! My kids want a couple of the decks and instead of pay $90 for two at Walmart I'd rather pay $100 for all four.

Originally Posted by Yeef

Up until last year, they were printed to demand. Starting with C16 they seem to be a limited print-run. Wizards Direct stopped carrying C16 just a few weeks after release; though there's a very slim chance that they just underestimated the popularity of 4-color commanders, but I doubt it.

I can still find the Atraxa deck printed in Japanese at Walmart. I doubt the Japanese version holds as much value. Why they have Japanese Commander decks at an American Walmart I do not know.

Originally Posted by Santiako

Phages for everyone!

That's awesome.
Imperfected
Member
(08-08-2017, 10:28 PM)

Originally Posted by blindrocket

I can still find the Atraxa deck printed in Japanese at Walmart. I doubt the Japanese version holds as much value. Why they have Japanese Commander decks at an American Walmart I do not know.

Presumably they had stock created for Japan that never moved (Commander may not be very popular in Japan relative to Magic's general popularity there?), so rather than sending the excess stock to Japanese stores they sent it to a market where they were still moving product.
TheBlackMarvel
#STAYWOKE
(08-08-2017, 10:55 PM)
TheBlackMarvel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

Phages for everyone!

I love it.
bigkrev
Member
(08-08-2017, 11:31 PM)
bigkrev's Avatar
Hascon tickets must not be selling well- Magic twitter just put out a $15 off coupon code for passes
Justin
Member
(08-08-2017, 11:39 PM)

Originally Posted by bigkrev

Hascon tickets must not be selling well- Magic twitter just put out a $15 off coupon code for passes

Awesome only $585 now. Sold!
blindrocket
Member
(08-08-2017, 11:47 PM)
blindrocket's Avatar
So..... What do you think I should pick as my prize? Either $100 in CFB credit, OR one of these three prize crates:
http://store.channelfireball.com/pro...+booster+crate

Originally Posted by Imperfected

Presumably they had stock created for Japan that never moved (Commander may not be very popular in Japan relative to Magic's general popularity there?), so rather than sending the excess stock to Japanese stores they sent it to a market where they were still moving product.

I see, that is interesting. Thanks.
jph139
Member
(08-08-2017, 11:54 PM)
jph139's Avatar

Originally Posted by blindrocket

So..... What do you think I should pick as my prize? Either $100 in CFB credit, OR one of these three prize crates:
http://store.channelfireball.com/pro...+booster+crate

The $100 is probably the best value there if there's actual singles and such that you want to buy. But personally I'd gamble on one of the prize packs and hope my luck keeps up with a good Masterpiece or Masters pull. I think Kaladesh still has the highest value of those three?
kirblar
Member
(08-08-2017, 11:56 PM)
kirblar's Avatar
Yeah, just the straight up credit seems best unless you actually wanted a box.
blindrocket
Member
(08-09-2017, 12:01 AM)
blindrocket's Avatar
Yeah, I'm thinking those lines too... I'd probably pull all jank.

It's a pretty sweet retail value though.

1 Kaladesh OR Aether Revolt OR Amonkhet Booster Box
1 Eternal Masters Booster Pack
1 Modern Masters 2017 Booster Pack
1 Modern Masters 2015 Booster Pack
4 Recent Booster Packs (Return to Ravnica block forward)
1 Spindown Life Counter
2 Ultra PRO Sleeves (50 ct.)
1 Ultra PRO Deck Box

Card Boy
Banned
(08-09-2017, 12:05 AM)
Card Boy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako



I love this haha

Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-09-2017, 12:05 AM)
the cutoff being RTR is mean though. Gotta be khans or frf boosters.
Joe Molotov
(08-09-2017, 12:06 AM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar
It comes with a spindown counter and a Return to Ravnica booster pack, how can you top that value?
blindrocket
Member
(08-09-2017, 01:26 AM)
blindrocket's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

It comes with a spindown counter and a Return to Ravnica booster pack, how can you top that value?

lol

You don't have to choose RTR... the gamble to pull a foil shock land is so low...
I'd rather do what Familienoberhauptvogel suggested and try my luck on a Fetch.

But really, I should just go for the credit. Ironically I had a cart full of cards on tcgplayer that I hadn't purchased yet, and about 80% of the cards were from CFB anyway. I may as well just purchase all of the cards from CFB now using the credit.

And other than pulling a foil Snapcaster Mage, which admittedly is pretty awesome, my luck with cracking any of the "Masters" packs has been very, very bad. Even so much as pulling TWO separate copies of the same jank rare.
Tunoku
Member
(08-09-2017, 03:45 AM)
Tunoku's Avatar
Well, given the Dota card game announcement.

Who wants my collection?
Zocano
Member
(08-09-2017, 03:46 AM)
Zocano's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunoku

Well, given the Dota card game announcement.

Who wants my collection?

Wait wuh?

...oh no.
Ashodin
Member
(08-09-2017, 03:50 AM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunoku

Well, given the Dota card game announcement.

Who wants my collection?

fuck that, I'm selling all my cards for the GW2 card game.
Joe Molotov
(08-09-2017, 03:55 AM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar
I'm still waiting for the paper WoW TCG to take off.



Aaaaaany day now.
Ashodin
Member
(08-09-2017, 03:57 AM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

I'm still waiting for the paper WoW TCG to take off.



Aaaaaany day now.

it took off and crash landed dude
Joe Molotov
(08-09-2017, 03:59 AM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar
I'm only kidding, but my friend bought boxes of that shit just to try to get a Spectral Tiger code and never did.
Tunoku
Member
(08-09-2017, 04:03 AM)
Tunoku's Avatar
I think I bought that original starter box of it for cheap. Have probably thrown it away by now.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-09-2017, 04:04 AM)
The raid decks where archenemy done right tbqh
Ashodin
Member
(08-09-2017, 04:17 AM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

The raid decks where archenemy done right tbqh

yep the raid decks were cool af
Santiako
Member
(08-09-2017, 04:44 AM)
Santiako's Avatar


New cards. The effect on the mirror seems cheap enough to be breakable.
Ashodin
Member
(08-09-2017, 04:46 AM)
Ashodin's Avatar
whoa, mirror lets you get an extra creature type +1?

Neat.
Imperfected
Member
(08-09-2017, 04:48 AM)
Mirror of the Forebears is kind of just an underwhelming Mirage Mirror. Yes, it's cheaper, but one colorless casting and activation cost are super trivial savings for EDH, and it's way, way more limited. That said, Mirage Mirror is a format all-star, so plenty of decks can probably roll with both.

Hey, I almost got through this post without making a joke about how Bears Tribal wasn't on the list.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-09-2017, 04:51 AM)
mirage mirror really is an all star. Not sure yet if it's made for anything competitive but it at least lets underpowered colour combinations play something that lets them shore up inadequacies.

It's an auto include in rakdos and boros for that reason.
Ashodin
Member
(08-09-2017, 04:54 AM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Imperfected

Mirror of the Forebears is kind of just an underwhelming Mirage Mirror. Yes, it's cheaper, but one colorless casting and activation cost are super trivial savings for EDH, and it's way, way more limited. That said, Mirage Mirror is a format all-star, so plenty of decks can probably roll with both.

Hey, I almost got through this post without making a joke about how Bears Tribal wasn't on the list.

Bearly.

About Mirage Mirror (overheard at Game Day):

"Can I pay 2 to turn Mirage Mirror into a land in response to someone using Fatal Push on it?"

"yes"
charlequin
is not aware of current grape prices
(08-09-2017, 04:55 AM)
charlequin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking by changing the silhouette of the most iconic original race they have.

There are enough bizarre creative decisions like this from right around the M14 - Origins era that I assume they're the result of some combination of growing pains (they like tripled the size of the creative team) and awkwardly taking their first steps into transmedia creative design.

Originally Posted by FreedomFrisbee

They even learned from this with Atogs. Rosewater clearly wanted Atog to be in Kaladesh but the community told him it had to be recognizably Atog or not an Atog. So we got Gremlins instead.

This was definitely the correct call.

Originally Posted by Imperfected

Mirror of the Forebears is kind of just an underwhelming Mirage Mirror. Yes, it's cheaper, but one colorless casting and activation cost are super trivial savings for EDH, and it's way, way more limited. That said, Mirage Mirror is a format all-star, so plenty of decks can probably roll with both.

The nice thing about the Mirror to me is that if you can find a type where there's good shenanigans to be had by layering activations it's a lot cheaper to do on this than Mirage Mirror.
Imperfected
Member
(08-09-2017, 05:00 AM)

Originally Posted by charlequin

The nice thing about the Mirror to me is that if you can find a type where there's good shenanigans to be had by layering activations it's a lot cheaper to do on this than Mirage Mirror.

The fact it also remains an Artifact when transformed will also be relevant to some decks and allow for some cheeky shenanigans, though honestly it means this thing will just get Vandalblasted in a lot of games (and won't be able to copy itself out of taking the hit).

Any deck that wants to run Mycosynth Lattice will probably get some mileage out of that feature, and I've seen plenty of those.
FreedomFrisbee
Member
(08-09-2017, 05:19 AM)
FreedomFrisbee's Avatar
I can only imagine how shut out of the digital space magic would be if they hadn't initiated MDN last yearish.

Thread Tools