• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

divisionbyzorro
Member
(08-16-2017, 08:39 PM)
divisionbyzorro's Avatar
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan Way From Home
aidan
Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
(08-16-2017, 08:40 PM)
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalanosaurus Rex
Justin
Member
(08-16-2017, 08:46 PM)
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan Jace Still Getting Dunked On (Probably)
Ashodin
Member
(08-16-2017, 09:02 PM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by divisionbyzorro

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan Way From Home

fuck, this is really close

But having it as Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Way From Home

is just better.

But goddamn that's a good one.
Justin
Member
(08-16-2017, 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Ashodin

fuck, this is really close

But having it as Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Way From Home

is just better.

But goddamn that's a good one.

Agreed. The best one by far.
SigmasonicX
Member
(08-16-2017, 09:36 PM)
SigmasonicX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Infinite Stars

Magic the Gathering OT 13: Ixalan- Dinosaurs of the Carribean

I favor this, personally. I don't think we should bury the dinosaur lede. Though I suppose I could just append "(also dinosaurs)" to whatever we choose, since the set name is short.
alternade
Member
(08-16-2017, 09:36 PM)
Ill throw one in

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - ErrataSaurus Rex
Ashodin
Member
(08-16-2017, 09:42 PM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by SigmasonicX

I favor this, personally. I don't think we should bury the dinosaur lede. Though I suppose I could just append "(also dinosaurs)" to whatever we choose, since the set name is short.

If you want to go for a deep cut how about

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Land of the Lost
Joe Molotov
(08-16-2017, 09:44 PM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar
Magic the Gathering OT 13: Ixalan- Kaladesh and Dinosaurs
divisionbyzorro
Member
(08-16-2017, 09:55 PM)
divisionbyzorro's Avatar
The only thing else I have to offer is a pile of Jurassic Park quotes.
Violet_0
Banned
(08-16-2017, 10:11 PM)

Originally Posted by divisionbyzorro

The only thing else I have to offer is a pile of Jurassic Park quotes.

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Hold onto your butts
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the Earth
Ashodin
Member
(08-16-2017, 10:19 PM)
Ashodin's Avatar
Rivals of Ixalan HAS to be

Magic: The Gathering |OT14| Rivals of Ixalan - The Golden City? Well, there it is.

oh shit

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Dinosaurs? Magic, uh, finds a way.
divisionbyzorro
Member
(08-16-2017, 10:24 PM)
divisionbyzorro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Violet_0

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the Multiverse

Fixed and done?
aidan
Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
(08-16-2017, 10:49 PM)

Originally Posted by divisionbyzorro

Fixed and done?

This has my vote.
blindrocket
Member
(08-16-2017, 11:11 PM)
blindrocket's Avatar
Did you all take your Player Motivation Survey?

https://www.research.net/r/NK83HRS?lang=EN&src=tumblr
SigmasonicX
Member
(08-16-2017, 11:21 PM)
SigmasonicX's Avatar

Originally Posted by blindrocket

Did you all take your Player Motivation Survey?

https://www.research.net/r/NK83HRS?lang=EN&src=tumblr

Was just going to post that myself. It seems to be a different polling company than usual.
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(08-16-2017, 11:22 PM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar
Shouldn't it be "Woman inherits the Plane?" Multiverse works too as long as it fits.
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
(08-16-2017, 11:23 PM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar
Go with the troll title:

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Emrakul Unbanned in Standard

(I asked Aaron Forsythe this and he comfirmed cards are unbanned in Standard when they rotate out.)
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-17-2017, 12:52 AM)
I honest to Gods don't know anymore if LSV and Gaby dating is a meta joke or totally legit.
aidan
Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
(08-17-2017, 12:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

I honest to Gods don't know anymore if LSV and Gaby dating is a meta joke or totally legit.

They certainly have a warm rapport.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-17-2017, 12:57 AM)
I don't know why I care so much either but godsdamm they are cute together.
Ashodin
Member
(08-17-2017, 01:06 AM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

I don't know why I care so much either but godsdamm they are cute together.

pls no shipping
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-17-2017, 01:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Ashodin

pls no shipping

too late I'm already a weeb
aidan
Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
(08-17-2017, 01:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Ashodin

pls no shipping

I thought shipping on Tumblr was the whole point of the new storytelling approach?
Ashodin
Member
(08-17-2017, 01:30 AM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

too late I'm already a weeb

no lies detected
Imperfected
Member
(08-17-2017, 01:38 AM)
I'm shipping Gaby and Nicol Bolas, with Nissa as her side girl.
"God's Beard!"
(08-17-2017, 06:34 AM)
"God's Beard!"'s Avatar
Thinking about getting back into competitive Magic since there's a Modern PPTQ next weekend here.

This is my list right now:



Pretty stock, I've mostly given up on the Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry stuff for curve reasons. My only juice is the Flaying Tendrils in the sideboard which is an Anger of the Gods that I can fetch with Ancient Stirrings that doesn't kill my Magus of the Moat.
Ashodin
Member
(08-17-2017, 07:09 AM)
Ashodin's Avatar
ONE LAST HURRAH BEFORE ROTATION

I'M RIDING THIS SHIT UNTIL THE WHEELS FALL OFF

Infinite Stars
Member
(08-17-2017, 08:29 AM)
Infinite Stars's Avatar

Originally Posted by "God's Beard!"

Thinking about getting back into competitive Magic since there's a Modern PPTQ next weekend here.

This is my list right now:



Pretty stock, I've mostly given up on the Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry stuff for curve reasons. My only juice is the Flaying Tendrils in the sideboard which is an Anger of the Gods that I can fetch with Ancient Stirrings that doesn't kill my Magus of the Moat.

Maybe cut the Magus of the Most in the side for a Ghirapur Aether Grid? Magus is a functional fifth Ensnaring Bridge and Aether Grid actually lets you win through a Stony Silence without needing to draw Decay.
Maledict
Member
(08-17-2017, 09:38 AM)
Maledict's Avatar
Reading through Rosewaters column from Monday of 100 missed jokes from Unhinged has just reminded me of how truly awful I find his sense of humor... ;-)
A Serious Man
Member
(08-17-2017, 10:23 AM)
A Serious Man's Avatar
Ixalan OT needs to be the Mr. DNA cartoon from Jurassic Park guiding us through the new set.
Boogiepop
Member
(08-17-2017, 05:20 PM)
Boogiepop's Avatar
So, quick question, but the Commander decks come out on the 25th, right? Not being experienced with such things... should I expect to be able to walk into like, a Target or something on that day and find them? Or would Amazon work? Or should I be looking into the local shops that at least half specialize in cards (got at least one primarily comic shop and one half sports memorabilia store that have heavy tcg focuses as well near me). And would it be at all plausible to expect a discount from anywhere (outside of those "buy all 4 together and get a discount!" things I think you guys have mentioned)?

Oh, and I'm thinking I prooooobably should pick up some card sleeves. Any recommendations on how to tackle that? Like, should I just go out and get some plain ones for cheap (again, from Target or whatever)? Or is it possible to get some neat fancy stuff without breaking the bank? (Kind of wanted to pick up some Pokemon themed sleeves for the kind of irony, but those don't come in packs of the 100 I'd need, and it'd be a tad much to spend on sleeves to double down and have enough).
SigmasonicX
Member
(08-17-2017, 05:29 PM)
SigmasonicX's Avatar
Tales from Designing Commander 2017
* MaRo started his Head to Head polls precisely to determine what tribal decks to use for this.
* Bloodsworn Steward is based on Bastion Protector. They were going to form a full cycle, but decided not to. They'll make a super cycle if there's interest.
* Nazahm came from exploring the idea of including non-Commander cards in the command zone. The best concept to come out of that was a signature weapon, which was incorporated into this card.
* Stalking Leonin was originally a cycle, with the mechanic called vendetta, but the other designs just weren't as interesting.

EDIT: Commander decks should be easy enough to find in mass market stores and online. For card sleeves, I use Dragon Shield.
Justin
Member
(08-17-2017, 05:35 PM)

Originally Posted by SigmasonicX

Tales from Designing Commander 2017
* MaRo started his Head to Head polls precisely to determine what tribal decks to use for this.
* Bloodsworn Steward is based on Bastion Protector. They were going to form a full cycle, but decided not to. They'll make a super cycle if there's interest.
* Nazahm came from exploring the idea of including non-Commander cards in the command zone. The best concept to come out of that was a signature weapon, which was incorporated into this card.
* Stalking Leonin was originally a cycle, with the mechanic called vendetta, but the other designs just weren't as interesting.

EDIT: Commander decks should be easy enough to find in mass market stores and online. For card sleeves, I use Dragon Shield.

There is an alternate universe where the 4 decks were, Fish, Goat, Spider and Weird...
Violet_0
Banned
(08-17-2017, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by divisionbyzorro

Fixed and done?

I like it

card sleeves are dirt cheap, unless you fancy something slighty more extravagant. I tend to pick up a pack whenever I participate in a draft somewhere since I usually never have any with me. But the real pros don't play draft with sleeves anyway. Sends a message to their opponent. They'll probably light a cigarette with a masterpiece afterwards
Santiako
Member
(08-17-2017, 06:06 PM)
Santiako's Avatar

Originally Posted by "God's Beard!"

Thinking about getting back into competitive Magic since there's a Modern PPTQ next weekend here.

This is my list right now:

Pretty stock, I've mostly given up on the Sword of the Meek/Thopter Foundry stuff for curve reasons. My only juice is the Flaying Tendrils in the sideboard which is an Anger of the Gods that I can fetch with Ancient Stirrings that doesn't kill my Magus of the Moat.

I think it's almost the same that just top 8 Birmingham so I'd say it's a pretty good choice. He was running a Magus of the Moon and more white Leylines as a extra hedge against Valakuts so that might be worth looking at.

Originally Posted by SigmasonicX

Tales from Designing Commander 2017
* MaRo started his Head to Head polls precisely to determine what tribal decks to use for this.
* Bloodsworn Steward is based on Bastion Protector. They were going to form a full cycle, but decided not to. They'll make a super cycle if there's interest.
* Nazahm came from exploring the idea of including non-Commander cards in the command zone. The best concept to come out of that was a signature weapon, which was incorporated into this card.
* Stalking Leonin was originally a cycle, with the mechanic called vendetta, but the other designs just weren't as interesting.

EDIT: Commander decks should be easy enough to find in mass market stores and online. For card sleeves, I use Dragon Shield.

Cat and Wizards were a terrible choice in hindsight. They are not interesting and don't have a cohesive identity so the decks ended up very lacklustre.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-17-2017, 06:17 PM)
Dragons ended up being boring and poorly cobstructed.
Imperfected
Member
(08-17-2017, 06:18 PM)
The Wizards deck has some super interesting build-around cards, it just isn't... built around them. Definitely a low recommendation for getting someone started in EDH; it's just going to get hilariously rompa-stomped over by the Vampires and Dragons without significant changes to the decklist.
Zocano
Member
(08-17-2017, 06:48 PM)
Zocano's Avatar

Originally Posted by Imperfected

The Wizards deck has some super interesting build-around cards, it just isn't... built around them. Definitely a low recommendation for getting someone started in EDH; it's just going to get hilariously rompa-stomped over by the Vampires and Dragons without significant changes to the decklist.

I imagine the EV for the wizard deck (like most commander/pre-con decks) would be too high for them were they to build them more acutely and "well".

edit: I wish this (the secondary market) wouldn't impact their card selection for pre-con decks as much as it does but I don't think this is something that will never really be worked on aggressively.
divisionbyzorro
Member
(08-17-2017, 06:52 PM)
divisionbyzorro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zocano

I imagine the EV for the wizard deck (like most commander/pre-con decks) would be too high for them were they to build them more acutely and "well".

edit: I wish this (the secondary market) wouldn't impact their card selection for pre-con decks as much as it does but I don't think this is something that will ever really be worked on aggressively.

They want all the decks to sell at the same rate. They've been burned before by having one or two decks from the cycle be sought after while the others sit on shelves for months.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-17-2017, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by divisionbyzorro

They want all the decks to sell at the same rate. They've been burned before by having one or two decks from the cycle be sought after while the others sit on shelves for months.

That's impossible. Guarantee you there's no chance cats are gonna sell nearly as good as any of the others.
Joe Molotov
(08-17-2017, 06:55 PM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar
Still surprised there was no Angel deck, it seems like that would be a lot easier sell than Cats and Wizards.
Zocano
Member
(08-17-2017, 06:56 PM)
Zocano's Avatar

Originally Posted by divisionbyzorro

They want all the decks to sell at the same rate. They've been burned before by having one or two decks from the cycle be sought after while the others sit on shelves for months.

I don't even mean specifically the wizard deck. Because of curbing the EV for the decks, all pre con decks (specifically the commander precon products) feel overly restrained. The beginner precon decks make total sense but more "advanced" or potentially esoteric and specifically eternal precon products like the commander decks just feel way too hampered.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-17-2017, 06:58 PM)
EV used to be great in older Commander sets and that wasn't just the end cards. Also made some eternal staples in addition.

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

Still surprised there was no Angel deck, it seems like that would be a lot easier sell than Cats and Wizards.

I'm still fuming about that, let me play Naya Angels instead of crappy Boros.
Imperfected
Member
(08-17-2017, 06:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

Still surprised there was no Angel deck, it seems like that would be a lot easier sell than Cats and Wizards.

Might have run into issues with having too much overlap with the Iconic Masters set that's on the horizon?
shrapnelmagnet
Member
(08-17-2017, 07:23 PM)
shrapnelmagnet's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

I don't know why I care so much either but godsdamm they are cute together.

Look at LSV's latest HOD draft (#3) video on CFB and read the YouTube comments. There is a link to a stream screen grab that helps confirm it.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Banned
(08-17-2017, 07:34 PM)

Originally Posted by shrapnelmagnet

Look at LSV's latest HOD draft (#3) video on CFB and read the YouTube comments. There is a link to a stream screen grab that helps confirm it.

Justin
Member
(08-17-2017, 07:34 PM)
Last week Gaby and LSV were streaming themselves playing standard decks against each other and it was really entertaining. I actually find Gaby's magic streams to be the most entertaining out off all the big named streamers.
charlequin
is not aware of current grape prices
(08-17-2017, 08:09 PM)
charlequin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

That's impossible. Guarantee you there's no chance cats are gonna sell nearly as good as any of the others.

This, more than anything else, really shows off how big the gap is between this thread's positions and the broader playerbase. The casual appeal for Cats is huge.

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov

Still surprised there was no Angel deck, it seems like that would be a lot easier sell than Cats and Wizards.

It would cover the exact same colors as Vampires while tending towards the same style of deck as Dragons. It's probably at the top of the list for the second time they do a round of these but it kind of makes sense to skip it for this particular batch.
Boogiepop
Member
(08-17-2017, 08:10 PM)
Boogiepop's Avatar
Just to confirm... how worried should I be about you guys all being down on these Commander decks, with the Cat one in particular being the one I was interested in, despite seemingly getting the most dislike in here I think? Like, is it more of a "this isn't doing as crazy things as I'd like", or more of a "this is actively not a very good deck"? I was planning on using this as a cheap way of getting back into Magic and have a deck to play against friends without having to get into the arms race of constantly needing to upgrade and buy a ton of new cards and crap, which in past experiences has been the issue I run into with TCGs. And before the reveals the impression I seemed to get wherever I asked around were that these decks would be perfect for that. But now I'm getting kind of worried, what with how down on them everyone seems to be...

Thread Tools