• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Began my keto diet this week. Tips welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started again this week! Did keto for a few months last year and dropped 30lb, but gained it back. Hoping to get down there again and surpass it this time around

Hamarr

Neo Member
I want to start keto again this week. I'm really bad at meal planning due to a lack of experience right now, so that's one of the first things I need to work on. And getting out so I don't give in to emotional/boredom eating so much. I have lost weight on it before, but usually get bored of what I am eating at some point.

I have a shipment coming from Butcher Box today. I'm looking forward to trying some different cuts of meat and learning how to prepare them. If nothing else, I hope this helps with meal planning a bit.

Do any of you have recommendations for keto friendly snacks? My nutritionist recommended one of those monthly keto boxes.

A friend who does keto recommends drinking Zevia. It's expensive, but supposedly a lot better than diet pop. I like the taste of the some of the varieties. I'm just wondering if I should just skip pop altogether, including this. I tend to drink a lot less Zevia, but I have found that pop can be a bit of a trigger food for me. I tend to want to snack of junk food whenever I drink it.

EDIT - I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in March. My A1C was 7.7 back then. I have made some small changes and it was down to 6.5 back in September. I'm almost back to the pre-diabetes range, but want to make sure I can keep it there. I am currently 356lbs. My highest, which was back in March, was over 370. That's the biggest I have ever been in my life.

So I've been doing Keto the past week and a half. Keeping my carbs below 20/30g. My weight is falling but for some reason my keto sticks only have "trace" amounts. I'm 100% certain I'm doing everything right. Could the sticks be bad?

So I've been doing Keto the past week and a half. Keeping my carbs below 20/30g. My weight is falling but for some reason my keto sticks only have "trace" amounts. I'm 100% certain I'm doing everything right. Could the sticks be bad?
If the sticks are turning purple at all, you're good. You're either in or out of keto. The intensity of the reaction is based on your hydration.

Keto snacks: pork rinds, cheese, deli cuts, fat bombs (Google them), coffee with heavy cream or butter, veggies and homemade ranch... and more stuff I'm not thinking of at the moment.

http://foodmed.net/2017/10/17/dr-evelyne-bourdua-roy-canada-tim-noakes/

"Dubeau echoes Strydom and ADSA’s views on LCHF diets and support for orthodox low-fat, high-carb diets. She dismisses LCHF as “fashionable”, in other words, a fad. She also calls LCHF ineffective and dangerous."

Caroline Dubeau is head of Dietitians of Canada, Quebec:

HxMkJ1p.png

The irony.

I get what you're saying, but fat shaming is still so crass and unnecessary. Cut it out.

BWJinxing

From what I've read on keto Reddit, the sticks are a waste of money, as they can easily be manipulated based on how much water you drank prior.

Counting your macros really are your best measurement.

IceCold

Don't concern yourself with that stuff. If the color is anything but the 'negative' beige, you're good (unless you're diabetic and it's purple as fuck, in which case go to a doc asap).

Those ketones strips aren't even that accurate since it's not measuring the ketones that are in your body. In fact, the longer you are in ketosis, the more efficient your body is at producing ketones, and the less purple those strips will be. Some people don't recommend people use them since it just ends making people overly concerned for no reason.

Has anyone experienced muscle aches from the diet? I've been on it for the past 4+ months, and it's been great, but for the past week or two everything from my neck to back/ribs, to legs have all been varying degrees of sore. I've had a reaction like that due to stress once or twice in my life, but I haven't really been stressed out this month.

I checked my food intake, and it turned out I was only eating around 1200 calories a day, so I've tried adding some more cheese and eggs to still stay within the diet's parameters. Could that have been the cause of the aches, or perhaps it's a lack of calcium or something else?

IceCold

Has anyone experienced muscle aches from the diet? I've been on it for the past 4+ months, and it's been great, but for the past week or two everything from my neck to back/ribs, to legs have all been varying degrees of sore. I've had a reaction like that due to stress once or twice in my life, but I haven't really been stressed out this month.

I checked my food intake, and it turned out I was only eating around 1200 calories a day, so I've tried adding some more cheese and eggs to still stay within the diet's parameters. Could that have been the cause of the aches, or perhaps it's a lack of calcium or something else?

You likely have low potassium levels. Most people are deficient, but being on keto makes it worse since you usually pee more on this diet and many foods high in potassium aren't keto friendly (potatoes, babanas). Like the recommended amount is 4,700 mg/day, a banana has 422 mg...

Vuci

You can do it! It is never too late to make a positive change.

I recommend mushrooms with your steak, and you can find some great sugar-free BBQ sauce to go along with it.

You likely have low potassium levels. Most people are deficient, but being on keto makes it worse since you usually pee more on this diet and many foods high in potassium aren't keto friendly (potatoes, babanas). Like the recommended amount is 4,700 mg/day, a banana has 422 mg...

Muscle soreness or fatigue could also be a magnesium deficiency. Are you getting your 500mg a day?
I have no idea how much potassium nor magnesium I’m getting. What are some good sources of those on the diet? Do you take supplements or are there any natural foods?

I haven’t really changed my diet much over the past few months, so I’m a bit confused as to why these muscle issues are suddenly popping up. Though maybe it’s just been a slow burn.

IceCold

I have no idea how much potassium nor magnesium I’m getting. What are some good sources of those on the diet? Do you take supplements or are there any natural foods?

I haven’t really changed my diet much over the past few months, so I’m a bit confused as to why these muscle issues are suddenly popping up. Though maybe it’s just been a slow burn.

Nah I don't supplement. Usually leafy veggies are high like kale and spinach or other stuff like avocado, broccoli, etc. You can check out extensive lists of this online. I'm actually thinking of buying hemp seeds since they are apparently very high in those minerals. Can't go wrong with other seeds like chia or flax either.

Did you workout or sweat a lot recently? You could be dehydrated and low on electrolytes. It's very easy to lose electrolytes on keto since the diet has a diuretic effect (water is used to store glycogen). It's why some people lose so much weight on their first week or so on keto, it's all water weight. I've heard recommendations of drinking chicken broth to replenish their electrolytes too (but that could be mostly for the sodium).

Nah I don't supplement. Usually leafy veggies are high like kale and spinach or other stuff like avocado, broccoli, etc. You can check out extensive lists of this online. I'm actually thinking of buying hemp seeds since they are apparently very high in those minerals. Can't go wrong with other seeds like chia or flax either.

Did you workout or sweat a lot recently? You could be dehydrated and low on electrolytes. It's very easy to lose electrolytes on keto since the diet has a diuretic effect (water is used to store glycogen). It's why some people lose so much weight on their first week or so on keto, it's all water weight. I've heard recommendations of drinking chicken broth to replenish their electrolytes too (but that could be mostly for the sodium).
Oh, I eat asparagus and a salad every day, and often broccoli and cauliflower. So I think I’m good there.

My muscles do feel sore in that same way the day or two after a big workout. But the thing is I haven’t really worked out at all these past couple weeks. I haven’t been getting a ton of exercise at all on the diet, just gone for long walks. So I’m scratching my head as to why am suddenly so sore.

Hello all. I'm currently on what's basically a very restricted keto diet (where I can only have certain vegetables and can only have meat for certain meals). I would like to continue it once the diet period is over, with the addition that I expand to include keto foods I can't eat currently (such as beans and cheese).

My question is; I see avocados recommended as a fat source, but those are very expensive where I live. What are some other sources of high fat foods?

Oh, I eat asparagus and a salad every day, and often broccoli and cauliflower. So I think I’m good there.

My muscles do feel sore in that same way the day or two after a big workout. But the thing is I haven’t really worked out at all these past couple weeks. I haven’t been getting a ton of exercise at all on the diet, just gone for long walks. So I’m scratching my head as to why am suddenly so sore.
Get some salt-lite that have magnesium/potassium. That helped my cramps a lot.

J-Skee

Wow, this thread surfaced back up St the perfect time. I'm literally heading into the grocery store now to grab my first week's worth of groceries for keto. Will definitely come through this thread later tonight.

Hello all. I'm currently on what's basically a very restricted keto diet (where I can only have certain vegetables and can only have meat for certain meals). I would like to continue it once the diet period is over, with the addition that I expand to include keto foods I can't eat currently (such as beans and cheese).

My question is; I see avocados recommended as a fat source, but those are very expensive where I live. What are some other sources of high fat foods?
Anything keto + butter, cheese, or cream is a good way to get your macros. Picking high fat meats also helps.

Also, beans are not even close to keto.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Hamarr

Neo Member
I really should use Myfitness Pal more often. I am going way over on carbs living off of snacky foods. Time to start doing more proper meals.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finally found some cheap avocados, tasted one, its fine. Doesn't really taste like anything. Gonna make me a smoothie with it.

Speaking of, bought some almond milk for said smoothie, shit was expensive AF. That is NOT going to be a regular occurrence I'm afraid. Same for almond flour, its super expensive. I still want to get it one of these days to try and make that fat head pizza but yeah, at 4.99 a bag (and it's a tiny bag), that wont be part of my regular meal plan.

Also bought a different Greek yogurt (low fat which I guess kinda defeats the purpose, I was just looking at the carbs) and it tastes like shit, should have stuck with the proven one sigh.

Lastly I think I hadn't mentioned this but this is week 2, and in the second week (actually towards the end of week 1) I added a long-ish walk every day. Nothing major, I'm now going to the big store out of town instead of the local for my groceries, its about 20min there, 20min back plus walking around the store and shit it's usually an hour. Again, nothing major, but an hour walk is literally better than Nothing, so baby steps I guess.

Gonna weight myself on Monday when the 2 weeks are up, I wanted to wait till 1 month initially but I'm too curious lol. Especially when I feel my pants a little looser and some previous tight shirts now fitting fine.

pmj

I'm 2-3 months into maaaaybe keto or at least rather low carb, and something worrying happened a few days ago. I got extremely light headed when standing up from a sitting position, nearly to the point of fainting, and it happened multiple times that day. I've previously eaten low carb for over a year straight, with zero "cheating" of any kind, and this has never happened before.

I'm seemingly back to normal now, but I figured I'd ask in here in case this was a known problem and I was maybe missing some nutrients or something.

My diet is pretty unimaginative, with a four egg omelet for breakfast, a bit of peanut butter for lunch, and a big plate of broccoli and chicken, or sometimes falafel, for dinner. I use a fair bit of butter and oil, and sometimes eat other veggies, cheese, and nuts, but that's about it.

HariKari

I'm 2-3 months into maaaaybe keto or at least rather low carb, and something worrying happened a few days ago. I got extremely light headed when standing up from a sitting position, nearly to the point of fainting, and it happened multiple times that day. I've previously eaten low carb for over a year straight, with zero "cheating" of any kind, and this has never happened before.
it.

Make sure you're getting enough salt and water on the diet.

pmj

Make sure you're getting enough salt and water on the diet.

All you ever hear about salt is that you should cut down on it, but thinking about it, I might have to go the other way. I don't like salt much and use it very sparingly.

I'm probably fine on the fluid front.

HariKari

All you ever hear about salt is that you should cut down on it, but thinking about it, I might have to go the other way. I don't like salt much and use it very sparingly.

I'm probably fine on the fluid front.

A normal diet usually has enough salt, or is overly rich in salt. A keto diet is usually pretty devoid of salt, so you need to consciously use it when you cook or even supplement with it. Recommendation is 5g a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom