• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, has your Xbox Live account been hacked/FIFA'd? Post here!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Finally reset my password. It's now long and convoluted. Billing website says someone on Saturday bought five JUMBO GOLD PACKs and one ordinary old GOLD PACK. I had 1300 spacebucks and now I have 20.

Should I call Microsoft? I see someone upthread said he didn't want to for fear of MS simply closing the account. Would that really happen if I report account theft and theft of my points?

[edit] Recently I've signed up for EA accounts to play Command & Conquer 3 and Command & Conquer: Generals (through The First Decade). I'll bet that had something to do with it. Fuck EA. Couldn't even get that shit to work on PC anyway; it never wanted to accept my password for no apparent reason.

Finally reset my password. It's now long and convoluted. Billing website says someone on Saturday bought five JUMBO GOLD PACKs and one ordinary old GOLD PACK. I had 1300 spacebucks and now I have 20.

Should I call Microsoft? I see someone upthread said he didn't want to for fear of MS simply closing the account. Would that really happen if I report account theft and theft of my points?

Call them ASAP. Had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago and had my points back in 3 days.

JdFoX187

Banned
Well I woke up this morning to find myself hacked. They bought 10,000 points, but didn't get a chance to use them it seems. So I changed the password on my account and called Xbox LIVE Customer Service. They billed PayPal, so I'm going to have to call them and report this hack as well.

bGsCk.gif

our constant nagging paid off. :D

Well, nearly....

JdFoX187

Banned
This dude is a persistent bastard. I called Microsoft, spoke with them and they're doing an "investigation." But since there was nothing bought with the points, they're just going to refund them. But I've had two e-mails today from Windows Live that he keeps trying to reset my password. Is there any way to stop this?

This dude is a persistent bastard. I called Microsoft, spoke with them and they're doing an "investigation." But since there was nothing bought with the points, they're just going to refund them. But I've had two e-mails today from Windows Live that he keeps trying to reset my password. Is there any way to stop this?

change the windows live id associated with the account as well as your password. also advise CS that the person keeps trying to access your account. elevate the call to a supervisor if possible.

Dipswitch

I'd also re-check your account to make sure the crafty bastard hasn't changed the recovery email addresses and/or phone numbers. If they have been changed, obviously change them back and make sure the password for the alternate account is strong and unique also.

As I was playing Mass Effect 3 tonight I got signed out of Xbox Live. I wasn't alarmed because this happens with my flaky internet connection. Then when I sign back in I'm informed that my account was signed in on another console. I check my points balance, and sure enough some asshole spent $150 worth of my MS points.

dEnZL.jpg

I am fucking LIVID right now.

slider

^^Sucks.

Did someone cover this on UK TV recently? I think it was more EA centric but I didn't see the show myself so maybe someone can shed some light. I think it might have been Panorama maybe?

I got some points on sale recently but I'm not entering them in until the supposed two-step check in enabled.

They sure are taking their sweet time with that, sigh.

Tomasooie

It's like they can tell when someone adds a large sum of MS points.

Within 5 minutes of adding 6000 points to my account it was jacked.

Lunchbox

Banned
got jacked today, 1640 points on fifa garbage

called, they locked everything thing down and said 4-7 days.........which i doubt is gonna be that quick. fuck man

snap0212

I have a question for those who have been hacked/FIFA'd. Did you guys enable that controller password thingy? I'm thinking about enabling that just to be sure but I'm not sure if that would even help? Thanks in advance.

I have a question for those who have been hacked/FIFA'd. Did you guys enable that controller password thingy? I'm thinking about enabling that just to be sure but I'm not sure if that would even help? Thanks in advance.

Nah, it won't make a difference. That will only protect your account on your specific console, not on any other console

snap0212

Nah, it won't make a difference. That will only protect your account on your specific console, not on any other console
That's a bummer. I just found out about that option and thought it would putting in credit card details more secure. Well, guess I'll just have to pass on the 1€/Month offer.

joaomgcd

So my account was stolen yesterday, but thankfully they didn't change my password or any of my details... All they did was play some games I didn't own, and buy borderlands with the points I had on my account.

I went to xbox.com and made it that all consoles should require my password to sign in, but on my own 360 I wasn't signed out and can sign out and sign in freely without entering my password... This means that the thieve can probably also do this, right?

Any way to get around this?

Zomba13

So my account was stolen yesterday, but thankfully they didn't change my password or any of my details... All they did was play some games I didn't own, and buy borderlands with the points I had on my account.

I went to xbox.com and made it that all consoles should require my password to sign in, but on my own 360 I wasn't signed out and can sign out and sign in freely without entering my password... This means that the thieve can probably also do this, right?

Any way to get around this?

There is a way. I think if you make it so the consoles need to download the profile again it will force you to need to enter the password. I did it when I loggeed into it on a friends 360 and I had to re enter and redownload the profile the next time I went on my 360 and the next time I logged in on his.

Mine was hacked end of last week, whilst my girlfriend was watching 4OD TV catchup.

By the time I'd tried (and failed) to log in to my account on Xbox,com and checked my email they'd added a Chinese email address @qq.com changed my password and my login ID, and also bought £85 worth of points using my attached PayPal. FIFA 12 was added to my list of played games so it was involved in e account hijack.

I called Xbox in the USA over Skype and got my account locked and suspended. 24 hours later it had been sorted, though I'm still to have time to go over everything myself.

Frightening how little is being done about this.

Dan Yo

Banned
Last night "Natsu Arahabaki is online" popped up on my screen. Not knowing who this is, I checked my friends list to see if anyone I know had changed their name. This name was not anywhere on my friends list when i checked.

Today I'm playing and this message popped up again. Checked my friends list again. No one by that name exists there.

I was hacked in December and out of commission for a month. Changed my passwords and everything. Should I be worried again? Does this sound like something that happens to people who are hacked? I know some people who buy a hacked account will add their gamertag to the friends list of the hacked account.

Dan Yo

Banned
Well checked that person's bio and there is no info to be found. No one has had experience with something like that?

joaomgcd

There is a way. I think if you make it so the consoles need to download the profile again it will force you to need to enter the password. I did it when I loggeed into it on a friends 360 and I had to re enter and redownload the profile the next time I went on my 360 and the next time I logged in on his.

Thanks. Did that and it worked! Cheers!

Dan Yo

Banned
Yup, called up customer support and they checked my account. Fraudulent activity detected. Someone has been accessing my account from elsewhere.

The SECOND time in 3 months. I had a ridiculously long, unique password. Never input the info into any site. Had a security question that was completely irrelevant to my answer. I really don't know how they're getting this info to steal accounts, but I'm about fed up.

Luckily I smelled something fishy and called it in. Most people might've just shrugged it off as a glitch and ignored it.

Is it possible i have spyware on my computer and people are logging my passwords or something? I have a Mac. Just not sure what else can be done to protect myself here.

x3sphere

Yup, called up customer support and they checked my account. Fraudulent activity detected. Someone has been accessing my account from elsewhere.

The SECOND time in 3 months. I had a ridiculously long, unique password. Never input the info into any site. Had a security question that was completely irrelevant to my answer. I really don't know how they're getting this info to steal accounts, but I'm about fed up.

Luckily I smelled something fishy and called it in. Most people might've just shrugged it off as a glitch and ignored it.

Is it possible i have spyware on my computer and people are logging my passwords or something? I have a Mac. Just not sure what else can be done to protect myself here.

There's a lot of possibilities. Do you use your Live password on any other sites? Cause if you do, there's always the chance a site you're using is compromised and the attacker obtained your password that way. I always use a different PW everywhere for this reason.

Dan Yo

Banned
There's a lot of possibilities. Do you use your Live password on any other sites? Cause if you do, there's always the chance a site you're using is compromised and the attacker obtained your password that way. I always use a different PW everywhere for this reason.
Nope. Like I said. Completely unique password.

What kind of network are you using to access the internet?

Zoe

Wasn't it said that once someone gains access to your account on another system, they don't have to reauthenticate even if you change your details?

JambiBum

Wasn't it said that once someone gains access to your account on another system, they don't have to reauthenticate even if you change your details?

They actually added something new to their security system. It's called profile protection. It requires a password to sign into your account. Once you activate it it resets your profile on any console that it is activated on. I noticed it today when I realized that my account got hacked again.

Good news on that front though, I just got off the phone with support and they changed the system and time frame of their investigations. Now it doesn't lock you out of your account completely, it only stops you from making purchases. You can still use your account online. Also, the process only takes three days at the most now.

Dan Yo

Banned
They actually added something new to their security system. It's called profile protection. It requires a password to sign into your account. Once you activate it it resets your profile on any console that it is activated on. I noticed it today when I realized that my account got hacked again.

Good news on that front though, I just got off the phone with support and they changed the system and time frame of their investigations. Now it doesn't lock you out of your account completely, it only stops you from making purchases. You can still use your account online. Also, the process only takes three days at the most now.
The first lady I spoke to put it into the queue for investigation, but didn't lock my purchases until I requested it. I called back later to see why my account hadn't been locked yet and the guy told me the lady should have done it immediately and so he locked my account and I can't get online anymore.

You sure they're just supposed to lock the purchases and nothing else?

JambiBum

The first lady I spoke to put it into the queue for investigation, but didn't lock my purchases until I requested it. I called back later to see why my account hadn't been locked yet and the guy told me the lady should have done it immediately and so he locked my account and I can't get online anymore.

You sure they're just supposed to lock the purchases and nothing else?

Yes. The guy I talked to tonight was pretty helpful. Actually probably the best support agent I've ever had in anything. Not just xbox. Basically he laid it out that the new system is supposed to be less obtrusive to the person who actually owns the account while still reimbursing your points. I stayed online the entire time we were talking and I'm still online now. Said that I should check the alternate email that I gave them every day this week for updates and the points should go straight into my account without having to do anything else. If I don't receive them by the end of the week then I should call back and complain.

He actually told me to complain. lol.

Edit: So checking some stuff out, I can still sign in and see friends and what not, but whenever I try to do anything else, ie: use an app or play a game, it kicks me offline.

Double Edit: I forgot that I had enabled the profile privacy thing that I spoke about earlier. Once enabled, you have to redownload your profile in order to play or do anything online. So Dan, try doing that and see if it allows you to get back on.

speedline

Banned
A few weeks ago I could no longer buy DLC for Dance Central for some odd reason. I looked on youtube and found a video where you make a new hotmail account and link your windows live ID to it, so thats what I did. Never looked any further into it and now am wondering if I had got hacked or something. I don't play online and don't really keep up with all of this stuff so it's very confusing as to what actually happened there. Sorry to see these things happening and a DD only future is a tad bit unsettling for me because of it.

saunderez

Nope. Like I said. Completely unique password.

This doesn't discount the possibility of a keylogger. Plenty of malware contains keyloggers, they want your banking details but they'll take whatever they can get. Considering you've been hit twice I'd hose my PC as soon as possible just to take that out of the equation.

JambiBum

So quick update. Today was the third day in my investigation. Woke up this morning to find download codes to receive my points back and that my case was closed. All I had to do was re download my profile to my console and enter the codes. Never lost access to my account during the investigation. I'm quite impressed with how fast the process is now.

IISANDERII

How do the hackers know what's on whose account? I've got a very easy password that I've been using for years and for multiple sign-ins and never got hacked because I don't have a credit card or paypal on my account or keep many points on it.

JambiBum

How do the hackers know what's on whose account? I've got a very easy password that I've been using for years and for multiple sign-ins and never got hacked because I don't have a credit card or paypal on my account or keep many points on it.

They don't. Basically what happens is that they hope that they can luck their way into an account because of EA's stupid security measures and then they wait until a decent amount of points appear on the account. The person that hacked mine waited for a while until I had points on my account again. When I first got hacked I had around 7800 points. This time I had 2500 before he spent them. They get a hold of an account and just periodically check it to see if there are any points attached to it.

Luckily now Microsoft has put in additional security steps to protect accounts and they made the whole process faster and easier. Before it was a pain in the ass like others in the thread have mentioned. Now it's pretty simple on the user end.

Eterniti

My account actually got FIFA'd during September of last year and I actually caught them in the act when I got an email saying someone purchased a ton of points using my credit card. Of course, by the time I actually got to the part of Microsoft's website to prevent them from purchasing anything, it was too late.

So I called and tried to remove my credit card from my account and open an investigation and the guy on the phone was helpful and said since I renewed my XBL Gold account that he's refunding me the amount and recommended that, moving forward, to purchase points cards from Amazon to fund my account. Of course, this also meant actually TERMINATING my XBL Gold subscription because "they need a credit card to keep the subscription going, even though they charged me already." :/

Towards the end of the year, they finally refunded me the amount that was taken, but not before taking back the money they refunded me for my XBL Gold account, only to have it get refunded to me again later.

Problem solved for me, but it makes you question their refund policies and procedures happening in the background :/

epmode

hope that they can luck their way into an account because of EA's stupid security measures
As much as I love to bitch about EA, please prove this. FIFA is all over these breaches because it's a convenient way to convert MSP into cash, not necessarily because EA is to blame for the stolen account.

sophora

Just happened to me today, changed my email and password right away. Caught it in 10 minutes of the act. But still says I'm logged in elsewhere when I try to sign in to xbl. Called paypal canceled the agreement and stuff, microsoft is closed atm but tomorrow I'm off to PAX...great fucking timing.

Well, if you see some Xbox Live people at PAX tell them to hurry up with that two step so that people can stop worrying about thieves spending our space bucks on Fifa.

sophora

Well, if you see some Xbox Live people at PAX tell them to hurry up with that two step so that people can stop worrying about thieves spending our space bucks on Fifa.

Yeah haha. Seems the guy who got to my xbl acct changed the password, so I need to rechange it but need to contact CS for it. Will do at the hotel tomorrow. Thankfully I had paypal linked and called them up and disputed it, they refunded my money but it'll take a few days to process and won't till after PAX so I'm out about $130 for the trip. Not bad since I overbudgeted it, but means I can't have as much careless fun. Though no luck on my password I did change my passcode to access it via XBL to buy me time till tomorrow.

Glad the ordeal is over money-wise. Just need to change my password now.

NHale

As much as I love to bitch about EA, please prove this. FIFA is all over these breaches because it's a convenient way to convert MSP into cash, not necessarily because EA is to blame for the stolen account.

Did you miss the memo saying EA is guilty of everything bad happening in the World?

And his theory makes sense, because EA has exactly the same safety measures for FIFA Ultimate Team on PSN and the hacking of accounts to buy FUT card packs is also a massive problem for PS3 users. Oh wait...

Knock on wood my main account hasn't been hacked (yet) but one of my secondary accounts I use for games for windows live was attacked last night. The password would be considered strong by DoD standards. The security question and answer were unrelated and ridiculous as well. I never bought anything with the account. Never used a point card nor a credit card with the account. They changed the password, changed the email address, added 3200 points to the account and bought a bunch of XBLA games. The funny thing is, after having the account for 3 years, I logged on to an Xbox 360 for the first time with that account last weekend.

IISANDERII

They don't. Basically what happens is that they hope that they can luck their way into an account because of EA's stupid security measures and then they wait until a decent amount of points appear on the account. The person that hacked mine waited for a while until I had points on my account again. When I first got hacked I had around 7800 points. This time I had 2500 before he spent them. They get a hold of an account and just periodically check it to see if there are any points attached to it.

Luckily now Microsoft has put in additional security steps to protect accounts and they made the whole process faster and easier. Before it was a pain in the ass like others in the thread have mentioned. Now it's pretty simple on the user end.
So it's possible my account is hacked and they're just waiting for me to put points or a credit card on it?

VALIS

3/28/2012 PREMIUM GOLD JUMBO -- Game Consumable -240 --
3/25/2012 I Am Alive™ -- Arcade Game -1,200 --
3/25/2012 Points added View Points 4,000

Hacked on Xbox Live. Hacked on iTunes. Wrongly banned from Steam, which took 2+ weeks to clear up. Digital services! Woo!

Top Bottom