• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Battle 2 |OT| All Hail the Gooch

Kakaroach

Need to go into ch2 and get far enough into the map to reach the branches. You can get there in 1 - 2 turns.
Ahhh thanks so much. Man that makes rerolling close to impossible thought. I got Uhse who is an S. This game looks like a lot of fun but the map is frustrating as hell and it would take forever to make a good account.

meow

I played TB1 for a while but stopped when it got super complicated. Not sure this one won't be too complicated too haha but I'll give it a try.

I can't get the game to start though, it just sits at the white loading screen.

Pejo

Need to go into ch2 and get far enough into the map to reach the branches. You can get there in 1 - 2 turns.

Thanks for this. I played through Chapter 1, clearing all enemies and collecting all the treasure and it took me quite a while. I want to pull some new characters.

Overall, I'm liking this game way more than TB1. There's more meat to it, though I am still not crazy about the battle being moving squares around a grid.

Adeptrain

Hello I have a question.
There are two party members that I cannot add to my group.Do I need to complete a certain chapter to be able to add them?

Those are named something like Friendion and Friendia. They're what you equip to lend out to your friend to use. You can set the boy or girl, equip your best stuff and guardian in the friend tab. Then your friends can borrow one of those units.

Vena

Rerolling *is* REALLY a pain. I am about to just say screw it and go with whatever.

Oh well.

The core mechanics (bugs aside) are quite enjoyable though.

Quixzlizx

I'm getting cold feet because I often rage about touchscreen controls in games most people have no problem with (like the SAO game).

So I can just imagine myself wanting to stomp on my phone if everyone else is having problems.

UltraJay

I might wait for the pc version to see if it controls better with a mouse. Also, I have no idea why it isn't on the Australian Play Store. We speak English here.

Kitkatt

Neo Member
Hello I have a question.
There are two party members that I cannot add to my group.Do I need to complete a certain chapter to be able to add them?

Those are named something like Friendion and Friendia. They're what you equip to lend out to your friend to use. You can set the boy or girl, equip your best stuff and guardian in the friend tab. Then your friends can borrow one of those units.

Thank you so much :)

Baliis

Hmm, had no trouble playing last night, but now when I try to go past the title screen it immediately gives a connection error. Lame.

Visceir

I might wait for the pc version to see if it controls better with a mouse. Also, I have no idea why it isn't on the Australian Play Store. We speak English here.

I tried playing TB1 with mouse and it was so awkward, haha. But it wasn't the PC version.

One thing that I might be hopeful for with the pc version might be the game running better...it significantly chugs sometimes when monsters are crowding the screen.

vareon

Moving characters in the map, and then suddenly the map moved, your character got separated, and your turn ended isn't fun. C'mon, game.

Got around to starting this on my phone as well and landed a Z class, Chirol, and a SS class, Conrandt. iPad got two SS and a S. Guess I’ll play them both until one account becomes clearly better. Right now I have no idea if I have anything good or not.

Does Terra Battle have mediocre units in the Z and SS class like say Fire Emblem Heroes does at 5*.

Baliis

Got around to starting this on my phone as well and landed a Z class, Chirol, and a SS class, Conrandt. iPad got two SS and a S. Guess I’ll play them both until one account becomes clearly better. Right now I have no idea if I have anything good or not.

Does Terra Battle have mediocre units in the Z and SS class like say Fire Emblem Heroes does at 5*.

TB1 absolutely did. Tbh, most Z/SS units were garbage, and three of the best units in the game were A/B units. I have 24 Z's in TB1 and would only ever consider using like 16 of them. Bahl^ is only S, but she's one of the highest, if not the highest, phys DPSers in the game. I didn't count my SS units, but I only really use S'naip^ and Rikken out of them since a lot of my SS have Z recodes. Also, the B healer you got for free at launch was good all the way until you replaced him with one of the good Z healers.

TB1 absolutely did. Tbh, most Z/SS units were garbage, and three of the best units in the game were A/B units. I have 24 Z's in TB1 and would only ever consider using like 16 of them. Bahl^ is only S, but she's one of the highest, if not the highest, phys DPSers in the game. I didn't count my SS units, but I only really use S'naip^ and Rikken out of them since a lot of my SS have Z recodes. Also, the B healer you got for free at launch was good all the way until you replaced him with one of the good Z healers.

Cool, guess the good news is both my devices have different units with only 1 or two being the same on both so hopefully between them something good is there.

Rixa

Well, we are in maintenance :p.

My 4th reroll gave me 16 units, 4 equipments. 0 Waifus 0 healers.

1x Z
2x SS
4x A

EQ's
1x SS

Screenshot_20170921-183332.png
Screenshot_20170921-185513.png
Screenshot_20170921-192731.png

Not exactly sure that SS weapon is good for Elga (he or she, need to look info).

Pejo

Well, we are in maintenance :p.

My 4th reroll gave me 16 units, 4 equipments. 0 Waifus 0 healers.

1x Z
2x SS
4x A

EQ's
1x SS

Screenshot_20170921-183332.png
Screenshot_20170921-185513.png
Screenshot_20170921-192731.png

Not exactly sure that SS weapon is good for Elga (he or she, need to look info).

What's the best current method for reroll? Also, is there a tier list you're working off of to see who to keep?

Rixa

What's the best current method for reroll? Also, is there a tier list you're working off of to see who to keep?

Too new game for tier list, just go either waifu or try to get as many SS (or even Z) units you can. You can get one energy from chapter one, from the left where there are units and no obvious entrance. See 2 glimmering squares, other is nrg other is bandana.

Location of 1 nrg in chapter 1 map said:

After going to chapter 2 branches and claiming everything you should have 60 nrg for 2 multil.

Reroll for Android said:
1. Go to android/data/com.mistwalkercorp.terrabattle2
2. Rename that folder to android/data/com.mistwalkercorp.terrabattle21
3. Go to your setting -> app (which is TB2) clear data
4. Go back to android/data/com.mistwalkercorp.terrabattle21 and rename it back to android/data/com.mistwalkercorp.terrabattle2

This saves downloading of data.

Z3M0G

Just downloaded, but I can't connect over my work Wifi, and the game does NOT seem to be data safe... it doesn't suggest using Wifi and seems to stream the intro video...

Not good for us Canadian users...

Vena

That maintenance fixed my bad luck. Two S, an SS, in my first 30 pull.

I'll take this as a keeper, and hope for better on the latter 30 but I can't grind this reroll anymore, its mind numbingly long and boring.

Of course, if its anything like TB1, most of the Z/SS characters will suck anyway unless Gugba.

Edit: Oh snap, even more SS/S character! Totally a keeper.

How do I get my pre-reg bonuses?

Pejo

Too new game for tier list, just go either waifu or try to get as many SS (or even Z) units you can. You can get one energy from chapter one, from the left where there are units and no obvious entrance. See 2 glimmering squares, other is nrg other is bandana.

After going to chapter 2 branches and claiming everything you should have 60 nrg for 2 multil.

Awesome, thanks man!

Kitoro

Why do my characters keep on getting separated while moving across the map? I'm so over this stupid new gameplay addition. I wish they'd just patch out the map system and go back to what made the original fun, because this is the furthest thing from enjoyable.

This should have been a little mini-game in TB1 that everyone could ignore if they wanted.

Byvar

The Android version didn't run on my phone so I installed the Japanese PC version to try this game out. The game is pretty fun, but damn, it takes a long time to download as well as to load what's already downloaded. It takes longer to load than even games like FFXV. Is it like that on Android/iOS as well?

I decided to dig into the game's code and files, as well as my internet usage, to see what was taking so long. Turns out this game sends tons of requests to the server, much more than the first Terra Battle. The files it receives from the server are all not compressed (which would be more useful considering the game's data usage), but encrypted with some weird cipher. What the fuck. Perhaps Gooch hates datamining (because this does mean we can say goodbye to this game being datamined like TB1)? Whatever the reason, it definitely explains why the game takes so long to load - everything needs to be decoded first. Really bad decision on Mistwalker/Silicon Studio's part.

On the plus side, the code mentions 2 platforms for the PC version: DMM (the Japanese games platform) and Steam. So the English version will probably be available via Steam.

Alucrid

Banned
maybe i'm just dumb, but when they say to run away and then point the camera at the tree i'm going to assume you want me to make it to the tree, not kill the boss

Pejo

Hmm, my first 2 rolls got me 2 SS, an S equipment, and a bunch of A/Bs. Think I'm going to reroll a bit.

Is there a way to come back to it if I don't get anything better after a while, or is it gone when I reroll?

It's been out for half a day and it's a lower-key release, man. There are no tier lists yet.

Also, the current characters are all pretty simple - attackers of each element, some healers, etc. If you want to min-max it's more about finding the element you need and whatnot.

Anyway, to start with, ahaha, fucking chapter 3. Good stuff.
I love a "bait-and-switch protagonist" situation when done well, and that was done well. It was right in front of me the whole time but I still didn't see it coming.
That said,
I am rather annoyed at how none of Ku & Nene's crew are able to use the Sarah Sword - that feels like a bit of an actual bait-and-switch on the players, especially since I doubt Sarah is coming back anytime soon.

I'm continuing to have a lot of fun with it, but some of the complaints about the map are valid. I'm acutally okay at controlling via touch, but it's still not great just due to the control surface and it can still be finicky about dudes falling off the train or placing the battle map in such a way that some of your party gets cut off. Also, it has the same problem TB1 had: there's so much rubbing involved that, if you play with your fingers, after a while it can actually hurt your fingers due to friction a bit.

Two things can separate your dudes: getting clipped by terrain, or trying to force your way through a big pack of dudes, some of whom are designed to break your formation (there's a hint about this later). If you're facing the latter, it's better to just hack them down rather than try to be clever about avoiding them. The former can be annoying because the placement can be weird sometimes - one of the kids actually ended up on the other side of an otherwise unpassable ravine and I had to spend a third of the map looping around to hook up with him again.

The map system could use some improvement, but I hardly think it's unsalvageable.

Also, from what some people are saying, I think folks are approaching the story chapters wrong: you should think of them as the same thing as a chapter in any other mobage, where you can walk away to level your dudes at any time. You will notice something: entering a story chapter doesn't take energy. That's on purpose - you spend your energy in the quest section, not the story. You can, and should, bail on the map to go level up your dudes in the metal orb section or take a crack at co-op.

(Well, that said, you should wait until the start of chapter 3 to do that.)

Also, it's worth pointing out that Guardians only affect the skills of the character they're attached to; they're basically Personas. Your actual stats like HP and attack are affected purely by your gear, and the best way by far to level gear is the metal orb quests.

Anyway, having completed the story content available, I'm sold. The map needs a bit of work but I got used to it and even appreciated what it was doing, and in a lot of other ways, this game feels, to me, like the game the original Terra Battle wanted to be. I'm curious to see where it goes next and I'm ready for Sakaguchi's Wild Ride. My initial double roll even got me an SS headband and two SS Guardians, so I'll just keep that.

I decided to dig into the game's code and files, as well as my internet usage, to see what was taking so long. Turns out this game sends tons of requests to the server, much more than the first Terra Battle. The files it receives from the server are all not compressed (which would be more useful considering the game's data usage), but encrypted with some weird cipher. What the fuck. Perhaps Gooch hates datamining (because this does mean we can say goodbye to this game being datamined like TB1)? Whatever the reason, it definitely explains why the game takes so long to load - everything needs to be decoded first. Really bad decision on Mistwalker/Silicon Studio's part.

Damn near every JP developer of Sakaguchi's generation hates datamining with a brilliant, burning passion. They all much prefer the previous century where mechanics and the like had to be shared and discussed by players through experimentation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to put the kibosh on datamining.

(It won't work, because of how computers work, but they'll try.)

How do I get my pre-reg bonuses?

They're all in your inventory already. Sarah comes equipped with her gear, as does Lind with his staff. The rest is in your inventory - equip Samatha to Sarah for good times.

It'll all be un-equipped after chapter 2, but you'll still keep it all.

On that note,

Good idea to use those rare power up things they gave us to lvl our free SS character?

Slap at least one of the golds on Samatha - it unlocks her other two attack skills. If you use a second, you'll get all her skills.

In short, yes, level Samatha with the gold powerups, it turns Sarah into a wrecking ball.

It's been out for half a day and it's a lower-key release, man. There are no tier lists yet.

Also, the current characters are all pretty simple - attackers of each element, some healers, etc. If you want to min-max it's more about finding the element you need and whatnot.

Anyway, to start with, ahaha, fucking chapter 3. Good stuff.
I love a "bait-and-switch protagonist" situation when done well, and that was done well. It was right in front of me the whole time but I still didn't see it coming.
That said,
I am rather annoyed at how none of Ku & Nene's crew are able to use the Sarah Sword - that feels like a bit of an actual bait-and-switch on the players, especially since I doubt Sarah is coming back anytime soon.

I'm continuing to have a lot of fun with it, but some of the complaints about the map are valid. I'm acutally okay at controlling via touch, but it's still not great just due to the control surface and it can still be finicky about dudes falling off the train or placing the battle map in such a way that some of your party gets cut off. Also, it has the same problem TB1 had: there's so much rubbing involved that, if you play with your fingers, after a while it can actually hurt your fingers due to friction a bit.

Two things can separate your dudes: getting clipped by terrain, or trying to force your way through a big pack of dudes, some of whom are designed to break your formation (there's a hint about this later). If you're facing the latter, it's better to just hack them down rather than try to be clever about avoiding them. The former can be annoying because the placement can be weird sometimes - one of the kids actually ended up on the other side of an otherwise unpassable ravine and I had to spend a third of the map looping around to hook up with him again.

The map system could use some improvement, but I hardly think it's unsalvageable.

Also, from what some people are saying, I think folks are approaching the story chapters wrong: you should think of them as the same thing as a chapter in any other mobage, where you can walk away to level your dudes at any time. You will notice something: entering a story chapter doesn't take energy. That's on purpose - you spend your energy in the quest section, not the story. You can, and should, bail on the map to go level up your dudes in the metal orb section or take a crack at co-op.

(Well, that said, you should wait until the start of chapter 3 to do that.)

Also, it's worth pointing out that Guardians only affect the skills of the character they're attached to; they're basically Personas. Your actual stats like HP and attack are affected purely by your gear, and the best way by far to level gear is the metal orb quests.

Anyway, having completed the story content available, I'm sold. The map needs a bit of work but I got used to it and even appreciated what it was doing, and in a lot of other ways, this game feels, to me, like the game the original Terra Battle wanted to be. I'm curious to see where it goes next and I'm ready for Sakaguchi's Wild Ride. My initial double roll even got me an SS headband and two SS Guardians, so I'll just keep that.

Damn near every JP developer of Sakaguchi's generation hates datamining with a brilliant, burning passion. They all much prefer the previous century where mechanics and the like had to be shared and discussed by players through experimentation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to put the kibosh on datamining.

(It won't work, because of how computers work, but they'll try.)

They're all in your inventory already. Sarah comes equipped with her gear, as does Lind with his staff. The rest is in your inventory - equip Samatha to Sarah for good times.

It'll all be un-equipped after chapter 2, but you'll still keep it all.

On that note,

Slap at least one of the golds on Samatha - it unlocks her other two attack skills. If you use a second, you'll get all her skills.

In short, yes, level Samatha with the gold powerups, it turns Sarah into a wrecking ball.

Nice, thanks for this.

Didn't even know you only use up energy in the quests and not in story at all. That makes a big difference.

Alucrid

Banned
i got some z unit Xena and a Z weapon but i don't think this game is for me.

edit: looks like giving away accounts is way more of a pain than fate/grand order, that's a shame

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For the movement, the timer needs to be a lot more lenient and it should be slower too so you can actually position your units rather than making a mad dash for the end and hoping no one gets separated.

My first roll sucked ass so I guess I'm rerolling. I wish I could do this on MEMU but it's incompatible.

Z3M0G

Wtf...

I tried to keep this off of my data and it still managed to burn 137mb (i have 1gb/month...). As soon as the intro video started i noticed it was streaming and closed it immediatly... i did the initial client download over wifi too...

At home on Wifi I played as far as the "i fell" moment, exactly where i closed the game, and it used 500mb over wifi...

Jesus. H. Christ. Without warning i could have burned 65% of my monthly cap in 10 minutes if i kept playing at work...

Pejo

Ok, I think I have this somewhat down for getting past the re-roll quickly.

In the first story mission, there are a few planned stops, then you have to kill the boss, then you have one last stop at the tree where you get swarmed. Man this is tedious.

chrono01

What's even the point of equipment? From what I can see, all it does is add you a bit of stats. I was thinking it would grant the wielder a new ability or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess I really will re-roll for a Z-class character later today, as the difference between an S/SS equipment and a Z-class one doesn't seem that extensive. I'd rather the character for their abilities.

Ok, I think I have this somewhat down for getting past the re-roll quickly.

In the first story mission, there are a few planned stops, then you have to kill the boss, then you have one last stop at the tree where you get swarmed. Man this is tedious.
Any battle that isn't the Orb Boss (you need to kill him to clear the chapter), just go to "Pause", "Give Up", back out of the item window (click the "X"), and then choose to revive via 0 Energy. This only works in the first two chapters, IIRC.

Azusa

What's even the point of equipment? From what I can see, all it does is add you a bit of stats. I was thinking it would grant the wielder a new ability or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess I really will re-roll for a Z-class character later today, as the difference between an S/SS equipment and a Z-class one doesn't seem that extensive. I'd rather the character for their abilities.

You need to levelup equipment to get AOE for your skills. And yes, plus a lot of stats.

Quonny

This map system is so bad.

They need to fix this, fast. How communicative was Mistwalker in the first game? I'm willing to give them a chance if they come out soon and say they're fixing it, but it's way too frustrating to bother with.

chrono01

You need to levelup equipment to get AOE for your skills. And yes, plus a lot of stats.
Oh, gotcha.

I'll probably still re-roll for a Z-class character, but I'll save this current roll to an email just in-case I want to return to it. It has a z-class weapon, as well as SS character, but I kind of want to try for a Z-class character.

A.J.

Banned
How do you use items? There is o inventory button on the screen and when I move I awaken a monster and it switches to there turn where they swarm me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How do you use items? There is o inventory button on the screen and when I move I awaken a monster and it switches to there turn where they swarm me.

At the end of your turn, while you have monsters in your box, you'll open a menu with a sword, a staff and a chest. The chest has the items you can use.

Can't use items arbitrarily.

Second story quest is kicking my butt this boss oneshots my team...

Z3M0G

This map system is so bad.

They need to fix this, fast. How communicative was Mistwalker in the first game? I'm willing to give them a chance if they come out soon and say they're fixing it, but it's way too frustrating to bother with.
Huh? Its like... the only reason i was interested in the game...

What do they need to "fix"?

forgrim

i rerolled 4 times, and my last one had 2 SS, 3 S, and one SS equipment. For those who played the first one, is Z really good? i'm debating whether to just go with this since rerolling is so tedious

chrono01

i rerolled 4 times, and my last one had 2 SS, 3 S, and one SS equipment. For those who played the first one, is Z really good? i'm debating whether to just go with this since rerolling is so tedious
They're good, but we don't really know how great these Z-class characters are in TB2 just yet. Their rates are super low though, so unless you roll for one you'll (probably) never get one, unless you get lucky.

2 SS is great though, especially if one of them is a healer.

docbon

The movement on the map is fukken ugh on small devices. I feel like the screen shifts too early when you drag to move as well. It would be nice if the formation defaulted to a line too.

chrono01

The movement on the map is fukken ugh on small devices. I feel like the screen shifts too early when you drag to move as well. It would be nice if the formation defaulted to a line too.
Honestly, I'd probably prefer a virtual control stick to move your group, instead of clicking/dragging. It just seems to have the sensitivity set way too high, it's difficult to be precise about it.

Top Bottom