• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's some of the most openly racist acts you've personally experienced?

I'm half Mexican, but I look totally white. I hear racist stuff all the time. Shit even people that know I'm Mexican say racist things about Mexicans and ask if I'm sure I'm not "a Jew." I guess the most openly racist thing I can think of was when we were at a family friend's party for his 4 year old. There's like 60+ people and some white kids drive by throwing shit, screaming "Fucking spics, go back to Mexico," and a few other slurs as the drove off.

I had a polish friend in high school/college who warned me that his mum doesn't like South Asians at all. He said he's put in a good word about me and she's looking forward to meet me but she totally avoided every other Asian friend attending that event that day. I've always been that your one of the good brown people which isn't the best thing to hear but means I've never really been a victim. Heard hijab friends being spat on. Worst I've had is a longer security checkout at airports but that's expected these days.

nampad

Doing the yearly audit of an international well known bank. Had some questions regarding some numbers and called the client (older lady, head of one of the back office departments).

Apparently, the numbers were wrong and had some additional zeros. The client reacted as followed:
"Seems like some Negerlein (German for little nigger, referring to the zeros) sneaked into the numbers"

My intern and I were a bit perplexed when she said that.
To be fair, I think that was more casual racism because the German word for nigger was used for a lot of black things until quite recently. Still, this was a professional conversation.

RevoDS

At work, I booked an appointment with a colleague for customers, everything was fine and dandy until they saw her name, then their face changed and they requested to be booked with someone else. Startled, I asked why that is and never got a straight answer.

Although I didn't specify she was a woman before showing them the confirmation with the name so to this day I still don't know whether they're racist assholes or just sexist assholes

The worst I have seen are people on public transport directly antagonising other passengers, or some passengers giving the public transport driver (bus or train) hell because of their nationality.

I've seen one person forcibly demand a driver change from the foreign language station they were listening to..... to something in spoken English.

I've seen an elderly woman directly confront a colored couple and tell them it was good that they married and procreated "in their own kind".

I've seen (the same woman as the above example) talk in a mock Asian accent to Asian people.

I've also seen people tell people not from Australia to "go back to your own country"/

Sunster

My mother openly wondering why we didn't eliminate all of the maori, because we were "the conquerers" and they "have no right to complain about anything [because we let them live]".

giphy.gif

darklin0

Banned
Some racist yelled, "Go back to your country, you fucking spic!" as I was playing Violin during a Cinco de Mayo parade.

While talking to my parents over the phone in Spanish, I heard some bigots in the background being racist and one of them started yelling I should learn to speak America's language.

There are some more stuff but these two are the most absurd.

Jaraghan

I was at a local pub for my step sisters birthday. My family was there as well. My parents would tease my actual sister (I have 1 sister and 2 step sisters), about having a lot of asian friends.

But it went a bit further later in the night, when my other step sisters(not birthday one) boyfriend brought up the fact that all asians are raised the same way. That they didn't want to be friends with my sister, and that all they cared about was their grades and would do anything to furher their education. They were only using my sister.

At that point I tried arguing against that, but then my mom chimed in agreeing with the boyfriend. It was a pretty sour night. This was maybe 4/5 years ago.

I'm a straight, white male in the US. I have lived a privileged existence. My brush(es) with racism came after I decided on an online handle for xbox/ps/pc: blackMamba1187.

I have been called a n***** more times than I can remember. "You think you're funny blackMamba, you fucking n*****", etc. In some ways I am happy this happened, because it opened my eyes to something I may have otherwise missed/ignored.

I feel terrible that people have to deal with this, and much worse, in their everyday lives. The effects of racism on our culture/society is undeniable imo.

Matty77

While I am white I was partially raised by a black guy and since I don't have racial barriers in dating I have dated lots of non white girls across various backgrounds and skin colors so I have seen a lot of shit in my time, I think I shared on here actually about dealing with some punks saying racial slurs about my ex's kid.

The thing that shakes me most is the amount of other white people including those who know my background and history that think once only whites are around it's okay to talk like that in front of me that I will suddenly be okay with it. Constant reminder that racist whites intentionally or not are the majority and half of why this country is a shithole.

Dan1984uk

Banned
Got "ching chong ding dong" in broad daylight, while I was with my friends.

Got called a "gok" as I walked passed some chav.

Hull, UK, by the way.

Wow that hits home for me, I am from Hull which is the north east of England and back when I was about 14 maybe 15 years old me and my friend who originally came from south Korea were walking in Hull town centre when a group of 18 years old's came up to us and started calling my friend a ching chong and saying how he should go back to where he came from and then proceeded to punch my friend in the face.

This happened in the mid 90's when Hull was 99 percent white, thankfully my city has changed a lot since then though there all still incidents of racism like many places I guess it is becoming more diverse and with it more cultured.

Multiple times of people driving down the street yelling "chink" or "fuck you".

Person walking their dog telling me out of nowhere "My Asian neighbor is rude and doesn't really talk to me, I'm not being racial, but most Asian people are like this."

Then he went on to tell me he got his dog from the pound in a city that's known to be mostly Asian and that it was probably some Asian person who left the dog on the street (because most Asians are irresponsible) and they were probably illegal immigrants so they were afraid of taking the dog to the pound for fear of being deported.

I was on a cruise and this drunk redneck wants the attention of a waiter who appeared to be from Laos. He yells "Hey Mr. Miyagi!", not because the waiter looked like him, but because he was Asian.

TirMcGrey

Most recent one was at Walmart (typical Walmart~) by an older (white) lady who looked to be in her early 50s, on the heavier side of things making a cowardly offhand remark to me while she walked past me in the "Foreign Food" aisle ( I was buying bread across the aisle though...) about my race taking up space.

Being that I don't really leave things alone when I should, gave her a loud "Excuse me?". She turned around, glaring at me as if u had just insulted her and her entire family, and proceeded to "school" me on how I'm personally ruining America and that "our current president isn't afraid of making sure people like you end up back in the backwater hole I crawled out of"

I was laughing on the inside due to never having someone so full of ignorance and rage come at me personally. I took it in stride, took out my military ID, and asked her to continue enjoying her day as I grabbed what I went for and left.

I wasn't insulted as much as I probably am going to be told I should've been, but after a particularly long work day, I was not really in the mood to care much about the ramblings of a possibly senile person besides letting them know people like me aren't going back to any holes just yet.

Spoiler:
Mexican background but born in the US. Brown skin.

I've been called a terrorist as a "joke" multiple times, and it seemed to be a shared viewpoint by white people in my high school and middle school that us Armenians were inferior to them. They would call us monkeys. Our noses were too big and we had hairy backs, as they liked to remind us.

Top Bottom