• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV character designer Roberto Ferrari comments on his creations on Facebook

Pantz

But what if shes competent in what she's doing (she is) and just...wants to flaunt her sexual characteristics?

I never see people bring this up. Maybe Cindy is just executing a brilliant marketing plan that nobody on Eos thought of yet.

But it's just super meta because it works on the player too lol

Exactly that. You even hear NPC's saying that they are taking their car all the way out to Hammerhead even when there are closer stations. They are going there to see Cindy. She's doing it to keep good business and help take care of Cid. It's the same reason there are bikini coffee stands. If you have a problem with Cindy then why don't you go protest some bikini coffee stands in real life.

Philippo

The most important thing this game proves is that the plot of the game was a mess and continously rewritten even during the Versus days, so much for Nomura's sacred vision.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But what if shes competent in what she's doing (she is) and just...wants to flaunt her sexual characteristics?

I never see people bring this up. Maybe Cindy is just executing a brilliant marketing plan that nobody on Eos thought of yet.

But it's just super meta because it works on the player too lol
Exactly that. You even hear NPC's saying that they are taking their car all the way out to Hammerhead even when there are closer stations. They are going there to see Cindy. She's doing it to keep good business and help take care of Cid. It's the same reason there are bikini coffee stands. If you have a problem with Cindy then why don't you go protest some bikini coffee stands in real life.
I'm getting flashbacks to when people were arguing that Quiet dressed that way because she wanted to seduce Snake and that made her a good character. When the truth of the matter is that she had no agency in her design choices and is just designed to appeal to men specifically and is really out of place in her own game despite the aesthetic clashing with a fanservice character. PRETTY SURE it's the same case for Cidney, as nothing in the game whatsoever indicates that she likes to flaunt her sexuality, because she has none, as that clashes with the idea of her being objectified, like so many other fanservice characters she's completely sexless. Nothing she does ever has anything to do with sex, she's a character being sexualized for the sake of it.

Ran rp

If you have a problem with Cindy then why don't you go protest some bikini coffee stands in real life.

RFiJNyN.gif

HeelPower

The most important thing this game proves is that the plot of the game was a mess and continously rewritten even during the Versus days, so much for Nomura's sacred vision.

People are stretching this way too far.

Ferrari was not a writer on the project nor did he specify the magnitude of these "rewrites".

NateDog

I'm getting flashbacks to when people were arguing that Quiet dressed that way because she wanted to seduce Snake and that made her a good character. When the truth of the matter is that she had no agency in her design choices and is just designed to appeal to men specifically and is really out of place in her own game despite the aesthetic clashing with a fanservice character. PRETTY SURE it's the same case for Cidney, as nothing in the game whatsoever indicates that she likes to flaunt her sexuality, because she has none, as that clashes with the idea of her being objectified, like so many other fanservice characters she's completely sexless. Nothing she does ever has anything to do with sex, she's a character being sexualized for the sake of it.
I think her being the first character outside of Noctis and co to have a figure being made of her adds to this idea. On Quiet's design Kojima at one stage said he wanted her to look the way she did to encourage cosplay and figure sales, there was no reason other than titillation for her design. Honestly Cindy just annoys me so I don't really bother thinking about her design myself but if I had to, I'd go with a line of thinking like this.

benzy

Ferrari was not a writer on the project nor did he specify the magnitude of these "rewrites".

He flat out says he was given the script and story rewrites since 2011 and until he left to follow Nomura in 2013.

Philippo

Just wait for the 7R rewrites!

Everybody is Sephirot!

Well he pretty openly admits he was stressed by the continuos rewrites well before but also after the rebranding. He had his own characters redesigned, so i'm sure he had a pretty good grasp of the game's plot through the years. I think he's the most trstworthy source about this.

And hey, people claiming this is true is still less stretching that believeing in whatever Nomura's XV would have turned out. At least for this we have evidences :p

Jobbs

Banned
Cindys design is stupid ass pandering to little boys and it's as simple as that. Guady design, too. The costume designers at square need to be put out to pasture.

It made a girl friend of mine a bit weirded out when normally this type of thing doesn't bother her.

Gentiana is one of my favorite character designs ever.

Don't know about favorite ever, but yeah, I really love her design, especially when she strolls in for her summon and affirms you with an affectionate, reassuring glance. She reminds me of a beautiful Iranian woman I was with for awhile. Not just in looks but also her demure, kind demeanor. We worked in a salon together and had a similar all black dress code.

OrionX

So Umbra could turn into a freakin' ninja at one point?

... :(

I really thought the dogs were gonna be significant, but like a lot of characters in the game, it felt like they didn't know what to do with them.

Zoe

Why do I need a female character to relate to? I don't play FF games to insert myself but to experience the stories of the characters. Characters, not avatars. I found Prompto not fitting in and lack of self-esteem as a child to be incredibly relatable. Just because you shove a female character in a party, doesn't mean I get anything out of her.

Edit: And for that matter, why is it a company's requirement to represent both genders? Why not all races then? Sexualities? Not every story calls for a playable female character. XV's certainly didn't.

Hear, hear. I've been lukewarm on this game because of the obvious plot changes, but I'm still getting a kick out of playing with this group of guys.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think her being the first character outside of Noctis and co to have a figure being made of her adds to this idea. On Quiet's design Kojima at one stage said he wanted her to look the way she did to encourage cosplay and figure sales, there was no reason other than titillation for her design. Honestly Cindy just annoys me so I don't really bother thinking about her design myself but if I had to, I'd go with a line of thinking like this.
And just look at the picture they used to advertise said figure.

Wasn't talking about that GameFAQs "leak", which sounds like bullshit. The one from the GAF thread from my post above sounds absolutely plausible and not too far off. And now that Ferrari mentioned the Umbra thing the leak sounds even more credible for mentioning the random fact of Umbra originally being a party member in human form.

Yeah the 4chan leak makes sense but the gamefaqs one is a load of shite literally. Versus XIII was envisioned as multiple games but nobody would know that information since it was only 25% complete, imo. The world of the versus epic was entirely scrapped once XV was a thing.

Elfstruck

Of course it happens but with the long development time of this game I really did expect it to be complete. Tabata is most definitely at fault in my eyes for how he marketed Luna as an essential "keystone" to the FFXV title. It would help if she did anything substantial.

Oh believe me,
I was pissed for what happened to Luna. She was considered a main heroine, yet she had less than 10 dialogue lines. After that chapter, we get to see a tiny a bit of her character and how she considered herself to be unworthy for Noctis. I wished we could see more of her. Also from the very beginning, Noctis' goal was to find Luna and ensure her safety, and by the time we get to chap 9, she is dead. Wtf? They couldn't even talk to each other one last time .....
It saddens me that Tabata didn't do her justice.

Forkball

How hard is it to write a Final Fantasy story? I mean seriously. A group from all walks of life join together to stop evil. The evil wants, oh I dunno. Off the top of my head, how about a CRYSTAL?

You can have that one for free, Square.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Cindy's design is literally there to titillate. Down to the gratuitous sexy animations when she services the car.

It'a just backwards. No not need for it. She should have been more like Kayley from Firefly who is very attractive but not sexualised at all.
So true. And yet Kaylee, despite not being sexualized, is actually.... sexual! There's a scene (off-screen, not explicit, but still clear as to what's happening) of her having sex with a dude at some point. And she likes to flirt and so on.

Amazingly, it's possible to write a female character who actually expresses genuine sexuality, and not "please have the camera fixate on my T&A". Inarra is another such example.

Perfect example of showing the difference between sex/sexuality and just sexist objectifying designs.

It's bad when it plays into damaging stereotypes and trends, such as the sexist double standard in popular media's presentation of female characters. Have you considered why, if you take set of random female characters, and a set of male ones, it's mostly the women who are dressed in impractical erotic outfits? Why is it that women are constantly cheapened by being treated as sexy props, even when they're working professionals going about their daily lives?

This reflects a wider social trend of female objectification that attacks women's worth by reinforcing, over and over again, the idea that women's main value is their sex appeal. Apart from anything else they can offer, they've got to be hot.

Presentation matters. If there were a trend where black people were constantly treated like beasts of burden, and in 9/10 of the games you played it was the black guy who had to carry all the backpacks and do all the heavy lifting, and the camera took special opportunities to show humorous vignettes of the black character struggling with his load, would you be OK with that insulting stereotype, which blatantly supports an unequal view of black people?

There are better strawmen to express your indifference to gender issues. Try harder.
Awesome post.

I still don't understand why all the hate about Cindy
It's oversexualizaded and unrealistic? Yes, but we can find this type of design in 90% of the JRPGs (or maybe 90% of all japanese games), including past Final Fantasy
...?? What do you mean, "yes but"? That's exactly the problem. If Cindy were a one-off case, I bet no one would care, but she's part of a larger trend of sexism in JRGPs.

The style of her armor kinda reminds of FFIV armor. Ferrari is pretty good.
I don't know what that is... but that ain't armour

MartyStu

I don't know what that is... but that ain't armour

With a handful of modifications, it could actually serve as highly decorative leather armor without looking too different:

1) - Remove bizarre heels.
2) - Remove bizarre helmet.
3) - Extend chest piece over midriff.
4) - Cover breast and flatten chest piece. She is going to war, not a fashion shoot.
5) - Instead of #3 and #4 have long sleeved black mail shirt underneath chest piece.
6) - Remove out of place heavy armor pieces that serve no purpose in original design.

LordKasual

Banned

You can't prove that she wasn't written to intentionally dress titillatingly to reel in customers. I mean, it's not as if that's a particularly fringe thing in real life...But if you choose instead to believe the developers stripped the fictional character of her agency by not allowing her to choose her outfit and making her dress skimpy, then that's all you. I find it funny that although you can only guess what went through the minds of the developers as they created Cindy, you choose to implant the darkest timeline.

It's not even far-fetched to assume Cindy was written that way, the effects of Cindy's appearance are obvious not only based on how she was intended to be perceived but how the characters in the actual game react to her. Prompto is infatuated with Cindy, NPCs talk about her. And she behaves like a regular, functioning woman, curve skills on point and everything, not unlike women (in real life) who dress skimpy as a part of job dress code in order to set an attractive atmosphere for customers (baristas, some bar waitresses) and have to deal with male advances all day. So honestly, all of this about her having no agency and having no sexuality (???) really just comes down to you preferring the narrative of the developers mindlessly creating a digital sex doll specifically to...set women back?

Because it's not as though Cindy deserves the benefit of the doubt of being a capable mechanic who's smart enough to use her given tools to help control her surroundings to her benefit or anything. She doesn't deserve that assumption because she's so sexy.

Magnus

Man, I'd pay for a full, robust doc on FFXV'a decade of development. The concepts and ideas and staff that came and went over ten years - would be a fascinating watch. Yes, I know active development only began in earnest four years ago, but ideasand trailers and whatnot definitely swirled around before then.

You have a hard time believing this official comment from a source, but you have no trouble believing the BS spouted by the 4chan leak? lol

We are talking about Nomura here, who is known for doing such story rewrites. He directed FFVII: AC and look at how it turned out story wise, complete nonsense.

Expecting Nomrua to write a story that isn't unnecessarily convoluted is like expecting Michael Bay to direct a movie without explosions.

How hard is it to write a Final Fantasy story? I mean seriously. A group from all walks of life join together to stop evil. The evil wants, oh I dunno. Off the top of my head, how about a CRYSTAL?

You can have that one for free, Square.
A story doesn't need to have a beginning and end, it also has a lot of interactions in between that make it memorable. They need to create scenarios that make the game fun, work on building character relations and background and much more.

Adaren

Considering Cindy runs literally the only car garage in the entire country of Lucis, a place where people travel everywhere by car and where vehicles are regularly in need of repair due to demons / beasts / invading armies / supernatural thunderstorms, I don't think she needs to rely on revealing her bra in order to attract customers.

But, of course, we can't prove that that she wasn't designed with some deeper, more substantial reason for running around with her thong visible.

Maybe she breathes through her skin!

lol

Considering Cindy runs literally the only car garage in the entire country of Lucis, a place where people travel everywhere by car and where vehicles are regularly in need of repair due to demons / beasts / invading armies / supernatural thunderstorms, I don't think she needs to rely on revealing her bra in order to attract customers.

But, of course, we can't prove that that she wasn't designed with some deeper, more substantial reason for running around with her thong visible.

lol

We best stop at the nearest petrol station to wash the car.... but you can't wash the car unless Cindy does it for you. lolgame

Dark_castle

The style of her armor kinda reminds of FFIV armor. Ferrari is pretty good.

No, hell no. The boob window is fucking atrocious. No armor is good armor if they leave the chest wide open, and we know it's wide open because horny boys want to jerk off looking at the breasts or something.

studiozero_1612212_thumb.jpg

Now this is a good armor, and a good design.

DemWalls

No, hell no. The boob window is fucking atrocious. No armor is good armor if they leave the chest wide open, and we know it's wide open because horny boys want to jerk off looking at the breasts or something.

Exactly, if I go to a warrior it's because I want to have a good, fair fight, not my dick sucked.

Why do I need a female character to relate to? I don't play FF games to insert myself but to experience the stories of the characters. Characters, not avatars. I found Prompto not fitting in and lack of self-esteem as a child to be incredibly relatable. Just because you shove a female character in a party, doesn't mean I get anything out of her.

Edit: And for that matter, why is it a company's requirement to represent both genders? Why not all races then? Sexualities? Not every story calls for a playable female character. XV's certainly didn't.

I get what you're saying; I don't need someone to be my avatar to relate to them either. But, it is something that improves the culture of games if we strive for inclusion. I'm sure I don't need to link you to think pieces where women talk about representation being important, but at a symbolic, high level, I like the idea that it fuzzes the division of gender roles and makes it fun and comfortable and not weird for women to join in, and it doesn't impede the game's ability to tell stories about characters.

I would genuinely love to know who these people are, I guess Gladio is catered to me but I just find him ridiculous on every level. The fact that I dislike his character doesn't help, but I also don't find him remotely attractive.

Maybe i'm to 'old' (i'm 30) to be into a character that looks like him. If I could ask my 16 year old self I may have answered differently. I used to like the Backstreet boys so anything is possible (i'm not ashamed either, you have to own up to your bad taste).
I dunno, either. I get "Hot Ryu" but I don't get Gladio; he seems like an empty vessel to just project onto, to me -- not much personality either way. It's funny you bring up the Backstreet Boys because I feel like Square tried to sort of create a J-pop version of that in the cast of four.

Pantz

lol

If you listen to NPC's they talk about going out of their way to get car service done in Hammerhead even when there are closer service stations elsewhere. Her outfit is a cross between a mechanic and grid girls at the race track. It's a themed costume and it keeps the place in good business.

Jennipeg

If you listen to NPC's they talk about going out of their way to get car service done in Hammerhead even when there are closer service stations elsewhere. Her outfit is a cross between a mechanic and grid girls at the race track. It's a themed costume and it keeps the place in good business.

All with the approval of her adoring Grandfather, who is right there.

I can go along with a lot of excuses for her costume, but hanging around her Grandfather in that outfit is just plain weird and shows that they really have not thought it through.

Joqu

lol @ "I would like to know how you got access to this previously unreleased material"

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323493

I'm talking about these. The alleged employee came back and stated that Umbra (along with Cor, Aranea and Iris) were permanent party members in Nomura's game. Umbra being able to change forms while fighting like Link in Twilight Princess would have been an amazing mechanic if this is true.

No, I don't mean these. Never saw these before. I mean those from the "FFXV development troubles/Rumored Versus plot leaked" a week or so after release. They mentioned Umbra originally being a human that joined the cast. This coming from Ferrari is really giving that leak some legitimately, damn. It all sounded so plausible too. Especially of you beat the game and saw the "seams" at all the parts where stuff was apparently cut according to leak. Read them if you finished the game, they're super interesting!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323493&page=1

Oh, noticed this just now:

Oh, and on a possible Cidney redesign (End-game spoilers!):

Yeah wow, it really lines up. That's as close to confirmation as we're going to get folks. Good enough for me.

KupoNut

Were people this mad about FFVII having a brothel/hookers back in the day?

In my opinion, just because he did Cidney's design doesn't mean Ferrari is a pervert or a bad character designer.

DemWalls

In my opinion, just because he did Cidney's design doesn't mean Ferrari is a pervert or a bad character designer.

Did anyone say this? Yeah, Cindy was criticized (perhaps rightfully, perhaps not), and some don't like his work (as is the case with every artist), but I don't remember anyone downright saying "He absolutely sucks".

Pantz

All with the approval of her adoring Grandfather, who is right there.

I can go along with a lot of excuses for her costume, but hanging around her Grandfather in that outfit is just plain weird and shows that they really have not thought it through.

We would need a Cindy DLC to understand her backstory, much like other characters. I could imagine Cid tried to fight it at first and she said something like she's a strong woman and she's the one trying to hold the business together. Don't forget, they have to pay the chef at the cafe. Cid would just have to get used to it and he's still proud of her hard work and mechanical skills.

Hopefully in Gladio's DLC they show why a kings guard is allowed to walk around without a shirt on as well.

Astral Dog

I kinda want to say Cindy is better than Quiet, not sure how, but she was like on a different league on her own while Cindy looks like typical fanservice girl #4576 (may even work on a GTA game) mostly stands out because she is one if the few notorious women on that paper thin game about Brotherly Bros.

At least Cindy looks like she is having fun on the job?

Dark_castle

We would need a Cindy DLC to understand her backstory, much like other characters. I could imagine Cid tried to fight it at first and she said something like she's a strong woman and she's the one trying to hold the business together. Don't forget, they have to pay the chef at the cafe. Cid would just have to get used to it and he's still proud of her hard work and mechanical skills.

Hopefully in Gladio's DLC they show why a kings guard is allowed to walk around without a shirt on as well.

Maybe Gladio draws inspiration of the Spartans and likes to fight barechested lol.

Actually no, historical Spartan armors covers the chest area well. Only in that silly 300 movie where the men fights practically naked with a cape.

Top Bottom