• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: Vengeance |OT| - The gods are ready to spread the cheeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for putting a new thread up, 3N16MA - it saves me the trouble. I'll bump the old one with a note.

Don't think I'll be able to watch on time this season due to the Netflix deal expiring, but I'll follow along as best I can. I hope the show can push forward into further awesomeness even in the absence of John Hannah and Andy Whitfield.

Meier

I still haven't watched the prequel. Started to but it just wasn't all that interesting to me.

This will fall by the way side like Damages did since I have no access to it now. Ahh well, no huge loss.

I will watch to honor Andy.
I'm sure Liam will do great, but it's just very difficult looking at any of the advertising material for this... and the rewatch of Blood and Sand this next week is going to be very emotional.

That Roman commander dude (can't remember his name)... good lord I hope he meets a brutal end. Hate that fucker.

jett

D-Member
The new guy puts me off. Andy Whitfield pulled of Spartacus effortlessly, this guy seems like he's trying to sound badass.

I'll still watch, but I'm also still sad. :(

mjc

Will be hard to transition from Andy but I'm sure the cast has stepped up their collective game to honor him. I'm trying to decide if I should rewatch Blood and Sand soon too. The episode where Spartacus/Andy breaks down is gonna be a tearjerker x 100000 this time around.

The new guy puts me off. Andy Whitfield pulled of Spartacus effortlessly, this guy seems like he's trying to sound badass.

I'll still watch, but I'm also still sad. :(
The first couple of episodes of B&S were pretty terrible all across, and it wasnt until i think episode 4 that things started to click and characters managed to come across as believable. Im not going to condemn the new guy based on a few trailers, he deserves a fair chance.

To be honest, I never really felt that Spartacus was the star of the show (especially compared to how Gannicus really was the center of the show in GotA, or how Batiatus completely dominated every scene he was in), so i guess i lack some of the emotionial ties that most people seem to have.

3N16MA

Banned
If anyone is missing Andy (I know I am) and has not watched the prequel shoud do so now. Gannicus becomes a character that you get attached to and I look forward to seeing him more than Spartacus this upcoming season.

Can not wait.

If anyone is missing Andy (I know I am) and has not watched the prequel shoud do so now. Gannicus becomes a character that you get attached to and I look forward to seeing him more than Spartacus this upcoming season.

I agree, I was really surprised by how much I liked him by the end. A really compelling character and actor.

JdFoX187

Banned
Had a chance to interview Steven DeKnight, the creator yesterday. Also get to participate in an interview with Liam McIntyre, Lucy Lawless, Peter Mensah and one other person Tuesday. If there's anything you guys want me to ask them, let me know and I'll see if I can.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Gods of the Arena was great cause it also fleshed out other character like Crixus, Ashur, Oenomaus etc. They will play a big role in helping put over the new Spartacus.

For a new comer, is there a point in the first season I should watch to? Like, a point where it either clicks or doesn't for most people?

JdFoX187

Banned
End of Ep 4. First 2 eps are bit iffy... then you will shit, or not.

Yep, the first couple of episodes are rather weak. But it really picks up from there. DeKnight described it as "I stripped down naked and ran through the streets with the first couple episodes." This was his first chance on a premium cable network where he could do whatever the hell he wanted, so he sort of took advantage of that leniency.

Yep, the first couple of episodes are rather weak. But it really picks up from there. DeKnight described it as "I stripped down naked and ran through the streets with the first couple episodes." This was his first chance on a premium cable network where he could do whatever the hell he wanted, so he sort of took advantage of that leniency.

So then odds are that I shouldn't watch these first couple of episodes with my mother in the room lol.

Go Ashur!

Gannicus is alright, but I still like Spartacus, better. SPOILER:
Gannicus totally betrayed Oenomaus, when he took pleasure in fucking his wife, and lusted for her, after. Even if he was forced, he should've just thrusted his way to a quick giz, instead of working that shit. No respect.

Also, I suggest everyone watch BOTH BaS and GotA. GotA really fills-in the background on some characters, and why some things turned out the way they did. It'll change the way you may have felt about some characters, after BaS. It turned me from an Ashur hater, to a fan.

_Isaac

I'm still hoping there'll be a throwaway episode where Lucretia reveals herself to actually be Xena and wipes the floor with everybody.

JdFoX187

Banned
Sweet, have a link to the first two episodes. Think I'm going to watch them tonight. Still haven't seen Gods of the Arena yet though, even though I've got it on blu ray. Need to go back and do a marathon of it and the first season before this season starts. As for Asher, I've always been a fan of that dude. Don't see how anyone could hate him.

Yeah, I'd heard quite a bit about the the graphic nature of the show so that was definitely a joke :)

I figured as much haha. The only graphic part that truly made me squirm was in the one season where
the dude got his cock chopped off. I was just like "fuck!"

I watched the first episode. I'm not sure I'm really feeling the stylization as the incredibly over the top gore seems like it makes the actual violence appear less impactful.

The lead seems super good though

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yeah that would work. Maybe one of the Iron Born but dunno how many of them have been cast yet.

I watched the first episode. I'm not sure I'm really feeling the stylization as the incredibly over the top gore seems like it makes the actual violence appear less impactful.

The change from the first 2 eps to the later ones in artistic direction is pretty huge, so all the artsy back drops and floating petal etc you wont have to deal with after ep 2.

God, so many disgusting characters in this series.

Best...Show...EVAH.

Shit....do I get an Ipad or do I get a new TV to watch this show in all it's glory.

DAMMIT. JUPITER's COCK!!!!

Oh...and I'm going to the world premiere here in Los Angeles Wednesday night. LOVE IT.

Ripclawe

Banned
there will be glorious gif making to be had!
iycZJhgoP1g6M.gif

ibeY5MLuzxsgeT.gif

ibcRmMBojrjuhh.gif

iiayMKfpeAqqk.gif

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Michael hurst is directing a majority of the episodes. You might remember him as ioalus from Hercules/Xena so...

GFW81.jpg

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

iyf2YAGaseRfp.png

It's been long since I've had my mind blown in a good way. Does this mean they could turn this show into the a spiritual successor to Xena? Maybe we could get Callisto in an episode or two? Oh god, please let it be.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

[IG]http://i.minus.com/iyf2YAGaseRfp.png[/IMG]

It's been long since I've had my mind blown in a good way. Does this mean they could turn this show into the a spiritual successor to Xena? Maybe we could get Callisto in an episode or two? Oh god, please let it be.

I just googled Hudson Leick and she looks great in 2011. The Xena/hercules team usually run in packs so I'm wondering what other alum are in the show.

The change from the first 2 eps to the later ones in artistic direction is pretty huge, so all the artsy back drops and floating petal etc you wont have to deal with after ep 2.

Oh sweet. Because those backdrops were also pretty distracting... its a shame that change wasn't made in preproduction of the first two episodes though.

JB1981

Watching season 1 Ep 1 on Netflix for the first time. This is soooo fucking bad. Does it get better or something ?

JB1981

Dialog is atrocious. Acting is cheesy. Show looks cheap as hell in first episode. Even the fucking is snicker worthy. Why should I continue ?

Watching season 1 Ep 1 on Netflix for the first time. This is soooo fucking bad. Does it get better or something ?

Significantly better. As others have said the first couple of episodes aren't particularly great but the show ramps up in quality as the series progresses.

giga

Dialog is atrocious. Acting is cheesy. Show looks cheap as hell in first episode. Even the fucking is snicker worthy. Why should I continue ?
Because by the third episode everything you said becomes the exact opposite, as has been said in this thread and the many other spartacus threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom