• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have microtransactions just been removed from SW Battlefront 2? No, I’m serious...

jimbulsara

Neo Member
Don't listen to their sweet mermaid song. They are more malicious than what we first though. They cheer for the empire in all of the star wars films. This is just a trojan horse of an offering, fall not for it. Heed this words, before it is too late.

i-Lo

Yep, nope. Still not touching this game when the core mechanics and balance were founded (unsuccessfully) on this system. The empire will strike back in due time (as they have said so).

Trust is such a fragile thing. I feel sorry for those people who already spent a ton of money on this title.

Since time is money, this makes no sense to me.

I could name countless games that have a "grindy" progression system without microtransactions and that hardly makes them better games.

Perhaps you and many other people have unrealistic expectations? You don't get this much potential entertainment and value for $60 in other areas of life. A few drinks in a bar cost the same amount for example, a nice dinner does too.

The amount of high quality content at launch and the amount of money and work behind it is really quite staggering. And the fact the all the DLC will be free is even more so. So why should the option for people with less time in their lives to skip ahead in their game be such a huge detriment to these facts?

This is some good shilling here. I love the claim of high quality content part given according to quite a few reviews it's a standard shooter with decent content. The veneer of SW really has robbed some people of perspective. Far more games have much more content for the same price. Hell at this point I'd say even Warframe is a better game with more content.

Anyway there's an argument to be had for the static $60 price tag (more expensive literally everywhere else) in the face of variable Dev costs and inflation. But that's why there are now accepted things like season pass and dlc. Shoving F2P mechanics in a full price game was not there answer.

And as to why you shouldn't be allowed to buy your way to victory because you don't want to grind? Well if it was a single player game then as reprehensible as it still would be, it wouldn't have affected anyone else but you but in a MP game it spoils the fun for everyone who've paid the full price and are now playing what they paid for and unlocking its elements with skill and time again other players. The only variable in a MP arena should be skill and not how much money you can spend. It's simply the nature of the competitive sport.

MilkyJoe

Yeah nothing has changed

DO1N0_pXcAAA5Sc.jpg

I very much doubt crystals will be readded "as is" without a heavy revamp. Even if the general public forgets about it and they try it again, the tabloids will happily (and deservedly) pounce on EA and the controversy will reignite.

My personal bet is that they're making the game much less P2W than before, perhaps adding a cosmetics system, and then they will make the whole lootcrate system much more Overwatch-like.

Rains

ロキー;253028575 said:
"We hear you loud and clear, so we're turning off all in-game purchases."

"The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date"

In summary: we're going to wait for all you whiny son of a bitches to buy the game for $60 and then we'll bring back all the scummy shit a month later.
This they have just stopped it for the moment and everyone believes they are removing them when infact its just a timed delay get in the sales then bamm

AugustNeon

Neo Member
Far more games have much more content for the same price. Hell at this point I'd say even Warframe is a better game with more content.

All content was not created equal. And the fact that other games that have gotten better reviews makes no difference either to this particular argument.

Battlefront 2 offers the most technically advanced and content rich Star Wars game of all time by far. That is a unique selling point and a huge accomplishment. For fans of the licence such as me, that is easily enough to warrant the price tag. And for others there are clearly other choices to be had.

Rellik

All content was not created equal. And the fact that other games that have gotten better reviews makes no difference either to this particular argument.

Battlefront 2 offers the most technically advanced and content rich Star Wars game of all time by far. That is a unique selling point and a huge accomplishment. For fans of the licence such as me, that is easily enough to warrant the price tag. And for others there are clearly other choices to be had.

Did you copy and paste this from a press release?

TannerDemoz

Hello EA PR executive! How is this all going internally for you?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This is great news! I have faith DICE will sort this out. They have dedication to their games that often gets them through self-inflicted problems at launch and I have hope they will correct this mess.

I could name countless games that have a "grindy" progression system without microtransactions and that hardly makes them better games.

Thousands of hours worth of grind as reported in SWBFII? I'm curious to see that list without including free to play mobile games.

Why is it that Titanfall 2, EA published, released last year as an AAA experience and was able to provide such an amazing single and multiplayer experience without designing the game around pay to win mechanics? Could it be that EA knows the power and draw of the Star Wars license, and felt they could leverage that into releasing a game with a highly unbalanced in-game economy, randomized loot crates and progression system designed to 'encourage' players to part with potentially thousands of dollars rather than spend 100s/1000s of hours unlocking their favorite characters? Nah, must be coincidence....

How's the weather in Redwood City today, man? Heard it's chilly there lately.

I'll wager it was designed both ways and this is the fall back plan, already built into it.

My opinion is they hedged their bets on the Star Wars license allowing them to push the MT/lootbox idea as far as they possibly could get away with, but I agree that there was a plan B and C in the wings in case the community flipped them a collective middle finger.

They were certainly pressured by the investigation on loot boxes=gambling, and probably Disney stepped in.

However, this measure does not seem final, and Microtransactions will be back, just in a different form/balance.

Blam

yup, not surprised at all. Loot boxes are way too lucrative to not be apart of, especially when Activision and Ubisoft are making a killing out of them. They will push it as far as they can due to Star Wars' mass appeal.

If you're talking Alpha Packs you can't open those with real money.

Valonquar

This is a bait & switch I guarantee it. As soon as the holiday buying spree is over, they will be back in damn near the exact same way they were implemented previously. Between now and then you'll likely just be able to earn the same tiny amount as before x3. Let's get #ITSATRAP trending on their feed!

They were certainly pressured by the investigation on loot boxes=gambling, and probably Disney stepped in.

However, this measure does not seem final, and Microtransactions will be back, just in a different form/balance.

Re-balancing the progression system where you can unlock characters in a reasonable time frame, while offering them up for either individual sale or in packs, seems like the best balance. They'll still get plenty of people who would just rather spend money to unlock Darth Vader than grind out 10-15 hours of gameplay to earn enough in-game currency. Hell I might even be tempted to do the former on occasion, but the current system is micro-transaction strategy at its absolute slimiest. Whatever comes of this situation I hope the industry is now on notice as to what players can and will accept, even for an IP like Star Wars.

MADGAME

Whatever comes of this situation I hope the industry is now on notice as to what players can and will accept, even for an IP like Star Wars.
At launch, maybe. They are clearly backing out the crystals to save launch window/holiday sales. Add the movie tie-in and they had to do something. If people still buy the game it gives notice to the industry as you put it, that people will buy your game with delayed implementation of exploitative systems.

EA clearly said paid mechanics are coming back. If the game sells well then gamers are communicating it is acceptable.

Z3M0G

Wait until they come back in before you purchase. I have a feeling if their numbers are good enough, they'll go back in the same way they were. Best case scenario, we'll get exclusively cosmetic loot boxes you can buy, with the progress loot boxes as rewards for playing.
This would be the best / most welcome outcome.

Missed first post by one just like the first shot at the Death Star....lol

Indeed, good job REDDIT and gamers for sticking to our guns(and WALLETS!).

NEVER, EVER SUPPORT PAY TO WIN.

And FYI, Boogie2988 aka "Francis" had an amazing video on how to fix the game that was very well done here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1be16By9fYs&t=5s

For now, I will be keeping my copy but was working on getting it refunded through Amazon.

EA, I know you're reading these comments. Stop this. Just stop it. You want gamers on your side, not against you. Good job regarding removing the microtransactions....NOW LEARN FROM IT

Well said, my man

Valonquar

I predict eventually EA will move to a model where there are no microtransactions at all for the first 2 weeks after launch. Enough time for reviews to go out, and early purchases to happen, and then BOOM LOOTBOX CITY. They can bait and switch, make a few million and then just apologize about "not realizing this would anger fans" and then not change anything. Rinse repeat with each yearly release.

At launch, maybe. They are clearly backing out the crystals to save launch window/holiday sales. Add the movie tie-in and they had to do something. If people still buy the game it gives notice to the industry as you put it, that people will buy your game with delayed implementation of exploitative systems.

EA clearly said paid mechanics are coming back. If the game sells well then gamers are communicating it is acceptable.

In what form is what I'm interested to see.

OK, you took the first problem away, being able to pay for lootboxes that contain gameplay upgrades.

Now just take the lootboxes away completely and replace it with a system where players can directly invest in the upgrades that they want. I don't mind the idea of gamers having to play and work for upgrades, as matchmaking should be able to keep things on a pretty level player skill ground. I just don't want to play hours of gameplay for a virtual slot machine token, I want to play towards a specific reward or goal that I want to choose to receive.

BANGS

Banned
So happy they did this. When I heard the announcement last night I immediately preordered and downloaded so I could play at midnight. Thank you EA for listening, and I hope you keep this kinda shit in mind going forward...

Crew 511A

This is great news! I have faith DICE will sort this out. They have dedication to their games that often gets them through self-inflicted problems at launch and I have hope they will correct this mess.

It's not Dice you should worry about. It's not Dice who's calling the shots.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
basicly they need to massively up the rewards given for playing the game.
800-1000 per match to balance out the pay to win scenario, people can still
pay to get stuff early but the amount of credits you get per game makes it easier
to actualy obtain stuff by playing and not be a chug fest.

people who wanna spend can and people who just wanna play can get the stuff they
need by playing.

In what form is what I'm interested to see.

Yeah but I don't think EA history gives them benefit of doubt in this case. It'd be much better to wait and see what they do before buying.

Or at least not buy digitally so you can always get rid of it after few weeks.

Yeah but I don't think EA history gives them benefit of doubt in this case. It'd be much better to wait and see what they do before buying.

Or at least not buy digitally so you can always get rid of it after few weeks.

I'm not as steadfast against buying the game as some here, but I'm definitely not buying it until I see exactly what EA has up its sleeve in the long run. And it would definitely be a physical copy.....otherwise I'm perfectly willing to bypass the game completely. I can avoid getting caught up in the Star Wars hype( especially with Last Jedi a month away) and take a wait & see approach to this.

Battlefront 2 offers the most technically advanced and content rich Star Wars game of all time by far. That is a unique selling point and a huge accomplishment.

Haha What???!!? Are you for real or just a troll/corporate shill? If you are for real i foeel sorry for you, really i do but Holy shit.

What a bunch of horseshit.

garrickk

Haha What???!!? Are you for real or just a troll/corporate shill? If you are for real i foeel sorry for you, really i do but Holy shit.

What a bunch of horseshit.

Even with recent history of GAF, AugustNeon's 4-post history is one of the saddest things I've seen here.

The failure of perspective is outstanding.

Garnbag

Neo Member
I’m only interested in the single player campaign, but had not planned to buy the game before this press release on principle. I felt this issue crosses too far over the line of getting children on the path of a lifelong gambling addiction. Given the press release, I’m now contemplating the purchase.

I’m pretty certain Disney had something to do with this, they won’t their IP associated with gambling.

MilkyJoe

My opinion is they hedged their bets on the Star Wars license allowing them to push the MT/lootbox idea as far as they possibly could get away with, but I agree that there was a plan B and C in the wings in case the community flipped them a collective middle finger.

"We have temporarily suspended microtransactions while our accounting team attempts the impossible task of finding a solution that both delights our shareholders and doesn't piss off our customers."

The joys of putting a beloved ip in the hands of bastards

The solution is simple, don't buy the game.

There are other goty candidates that are much better worth you time and money.

I mean even CoD this year is a better MP title, so far zero micro transactions as well.. and have classic progression on classes and weapons. No pay2win, no micro transactions and no grindy progression. Sure there are loot boxes but they are only earned from doing in game stuff, at least for now.

Maybe CoD ain’t for you though but it has a better system in place. Sure it has a season pass tho..

Redmond Barry

Neo Member
I predict eventually EA will move to a model where there are no microtransactions at all for the first 2 weeks after launch. Enough time for reviews to go out, and early purchases to happen, and then BOOM LOOTBOX CITY. They can bait and switch, make a few million and then just apologize about "not realizing this would anger fans" and then not change anything. Rinse repeat with each yearly release.

Didn't something like this happen with Forza 7?

BANGS

Banned
The P2W element is completely gone and they aren't bringing it back. They will bring back cosmetic microtransactions for sure to fund the FREE DLC. I'm cool with that...

Steroyd

The P2W element is completely gone and they aren't bringing it back. They will bring back cosmetic microtransactions for sure to fund the FREE DLC. I'm cool with that...

Progression is still random they just took out the option to give people the option to "accelerate" their progression with money which EA said themselves that they are going to put back in.

Top Bottom