• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

cj_iwakura

UAjUSrh.png

(Props to Vally, for image summoning skills!)

Welcome to the Official Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread:
For discussion and advice on everything from the core games to obscurities to Devil Summoner and to, of course, Persona.

Beware ye who enter, for here there be demons.

As long as console RPGs have existed, Japan has been dominated by the likes of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. But somewhere, just outside of the mainstream, lies the Megami Tensei series. Filled with dark stories about the nature of reality, technology, religion and humanity, the Megami Tensei storylines have been a bit too obtuse, and the gameplay a little bit too hardcore, to really attract the typical RPG fan. But the series - mostly relegated to Japan until recently - has created a cult following known as Megatenists, who devote themselves to one of video gaming's most expansive series.

Kr1Y2Ce.png

This is where it all begins.

Core games revolve around the standard theme of one man(and occasionally his significant other) and an army of demons against even larger armies of demons.

The core games are, thus far, Shin Megami Tensei:

smt1-mcd2.jpg

(Playable as a fan translated Super Famicom title, also ported to the M/Sega CD, PC Engine, PSX, and GBA.
Also officially localized for iOS!)

Shin Megami Tensei II

smt22.jpg

(Playable as a fan translated Super Famicom title, also later ported to the PSX and GBA.)

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

smt3a.jpg

(The first core game released in the US. Playable on the PS2, as well as the unreleased 'Raidou' edition with Raidou Kuzunoha instead of Dante.)

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

strangejourneya.jpg

(Debatable as whether or not it's SMT IV a core title until the end of time; call it what you will, this is a true throwback to SMT I&II, as presented by one of the godfathers of Megaten.)

Shin Megami Tensei IV

oSkvp9v.jpg

It's no Nocturne, but all things considered, it's a damn valiant effort. A must-play.

Official Thread

ATMdwsv.png

The series that needs no introduction. The Persona titles are largely responsible for introducing the world at large to Megaten, and remains the most popular series under the Megaten umbrella.

Rather than elaborate, I'll let the following threads clue you in.
All are playable on various consoles, primarily the PSP and PS2 as of recent.

Persona [PSP]

Persona 2: Innocent Sin [PSP]

Persona 3: FES [PS2]

Persona 3 Portable [PSP]

Persona 4 [PS2]

Persona 4 Anime

Persona 4: The Golden [PSV]
& The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena [PS3/360/ARC]

p01Pa7y.png

Although Devil Summoner's something of a second-stringer in the side-story category, with four games under their belts, the Kuzunoha Clan won't be denied.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
(Saturn/PS1/PSP*, 1995)
*direct port, never localized

devsum2.jpg

The adventures of the Kuzunohas begin here. The game has not aged well, but the atmosphere is still solid.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
(Saturn/PS1)

soulhack2.jpg

With Innocent Sin's recent US release, this is now a contender for the cherished title of 'best SMT game never localized'. It deserves it.

SoulHackersUS.jpg

Well, except for the fact that it's been localized! Atlus USA went all out for the localization, and even gave m-f-in Sid Davis an awesome voice.

It was so worth the wait.

Fan translation in the works, I'll keep you posted.

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha
(PS2)

char-raidoua.jpg

Does this smooth pimp of love really need an introduction? Maybe. If so, enjoy.

e3z31nS.png

Another side-story series, limited to two games, but it runs on the Nocturne engine, and it's among the finest works the R&D1 team have ever done, so it gets some love too.

dds2-3.jpg

Here's all you need to know about DDS:

History

Amazing Music

WLyTzNJ.png

Limited to but not including:

Devil Survivor (DS)
Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS)
Devil Survivor 2 & Record Breaker
Shin Megami Tensei: If... (SNES/PSX, never localized)
DemiKids: Light and Dark
Majin Tensei
Imagine
Jack Bros(!?)
NINE(???)
etc.

I have no rules worth mentioning, save one:

EUMSZWf.jpg

Aeana

I approve.
This reminds me of the reason why I joined GAF in the first place: a Megami Tensei appreciation thread.

Love SMT. Love it so much. I feel like, after the apocalypse, anyone who's played a SMT game will be better equipped to survive.

Where would you put Digital Devil Saga in the grand scheme of SMT games?

cj_iwakura

SpaceBridge said:
Love SMT. Love it so much. I feel like, after the apocalypse, anyone who's played a SMT game will be better equipped to survive.

Where would you put Digital Devil Saga in the grand scheme of SMT games?

Of all the games to miss.

Uh... other. (It's truly something special, though.)

kai3345

Banned
Fuck yeah

Currently playing through basically every PS2 entry (on and off again)

Unfortunatley my friend has my P4 currently, the one im farthest in :mad:

I'm stuck at the third boss in DDS1

Can't remember where I am in Nocturne

and basically at the beginning of P3

Just beat the first boss of Devil Summoner 2

I havent finished Catherine, so no spoilers please. But for those of you who have, does Catherine fit anywhere into the world of SMT, other than the cameo in P3P?

Aeana

Also wanted to mention that my first RPG ever was Megami Tensei 2 (yes, I didn't play an RPG until I was around 10 years old), and it launched me right into the genre - couldn't get enough.

After playing thru a couple of disappointing early PS2 RPGs I had been hyping over, I was in a fix. A good friend of mine blessed with good taste recommended SMT:N to me. I went in blind, not knowing anything other than it was dark, deep, and difficult. Seven years later...

I am SatelliteOfLove, Megaten fanatic and Atlus Faithful, and I approve of this thread.

Aeana said:
When you say SMT, are you talking about the entire meta-franchise including things such as Devil Children, Majin Tensei, etc? If the former, DDS does rank fairly high. I would put those games above just about every game besides SMT2, SMT3, Soul Hackers, Raidou 2, Strange Journey, and both Persona 2 games. Well, probably.

Also wanted to mention that my first RPG ever was Megami Tensei 2 (yes, I didn't play an RPG until I was around 10 years old), and it launched me right into the genre - couldn't get enough.

Yes, I know its not correct to think of say Persona as a SMT title, but for the sakes of my personal fandom, I consider them parts of a larger whole. Dont kill me though.

cj_iwakura

SpaceBridge said:
I havent finished Catherine, so no spoilers please. But for those of you who have, does Catherine fit anywhere into the world of SMT, other than the cameo in P3P?

As safely as I can answer this: somewhat, very very loosely.

kai3345

Banned
I never understood why people get so mad when Persona is included under the SMT banner. I mean they've all got the same demons and stuff, and even if they aren't set on the same world, they're at least in the same universe.

Aeana

SpaceBridge said:
Yes, I know its not correct to think of say Persona as a SMT title, but for the sakes of my personal fandom, I consider them parts of a larger whole. Dont kill me though.
I think I misunderstood your post anyway, which is why I edited it out. I see now you were apparently looking for classification and not a ranking.
I've resigned to western fans referring to the entire meta-franchise as SMT. It works for them, and there's no reason to fight it. It lets us easily discuss everything in a nice way.

cj_iwakura

My induction was a little PS1 game called Revelations: Persona, which was like no other RPG I'd ever seen. I've been hooked ever since.

By the way, of all the fan translated SMTs, the original Shin Megami Tensei is by far the one everyone needs to experience. It's truly a classic. Great story, amazing music.

Aeana said:
I think I misunderstood your post anyway, which is why I edited it out. I see now you were apparently looking for classification and not a ranking.
I've resigned to western fans referring to the entire meta-franchise as SMT. It works for them, and there's no reason to fight it. It lets us easily discuss everything in a nice way.

Well, Id argue it was Atlus USA's fault for putting SMT in the title of Persona 3 and the SMT emblem as well:

persona-3-fes-cover.jpg

cj_iwakura

Snakeyes said:
Great thread, but can you remove the Shin from the title?

I figured this would come up. When the Megami Tensei 1 & 2 fan translation is complete, I promise I'll add it. Until then, this is Atlus centric.
(They're still worth a mention for historical significance.)

cj_iwakura

Aeana said:
Hmph. Oh well. Atlus-centric it is.

Well, we're already niche enough as it is... getting into the Namco games is getting ultra inclusive. :p

From what I've played of the beta, I'll say that I love the music.

Aeana

cj_iwakura said:
Well, we're already niche enough as it is... getting into the Namco games is getting ultra inclusive. :p

From what I've played of the beta, I'll say that I love the music.
It's just that, as I mentioned, MT2 is really important to me. I'm a little biased here. But in the end it doesn't matter because I doubt many here have played it.

cj_iwakura

Aeana said:
It's just that, as I mentioned, MT2 is really important to me. I'm a little biased here. But in the end it doesn't matter because I doubt many here have played it.

I think it's pretty neat that even back then,
Lucifer and Izanami
were major players.

cj_iwakura

viewtifulsub said:
Fixed that for you.
Most overlooked entry in the franchise by western audiences. Vastly improves the mechanics from the original and one ups on the amazing plot, all along with an awesome soundtrack

I honestly preferred the first game. 2 had better gameplay, but that's all I liked more. 1's atmosphere was amazing, and the abrupt shifts in tone were insane.

Aeana

viewtifulsub said:
Fixed that for you.
Most overlooked entry in the franchise by western audiences. Vastly improves the mechanics from the original and one ups on the amazing plot, all along with an awesome soundtrack
Before the Maniax version of SMT3 came out, SMT2 was my favorite by far. It is still one of my absolute favorite games (Soul Hackers and it move around in the nebulous #2 spot these days). The music in SMT2 still brings back really fond memories of playing it when I was younger, especially 2D:Siren which honestly kinda brings tears to my eyes when I hear it.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So I've seen that piece of artwork before, but in the image of the Demifiend in the banner I just noticed that he's, like, jamming his fingers up the Oni's nose or something.

IrishNinja

FUCK YES. was happy to see the Zelda one, but this is fantastic.

i was LTTP (PS2 era!) when i discovered Persona 3, and SMT 3, from friend recommendations. they were a slow burn, but once i put in time, they clicked on such a level that had been missing since my JRPGs of choice (Suikoden, Mother, etc) had more or less died off and left me with Xenosaga and a lotta FF clones that i never really dug.

what i love about the series (besides Meguro!) is the diversity, how it fills gaming voids i didnt even know where there - its easy to love modern Personas, and old-school fans should rightfully eat up SMT proper, but i finally got around to Devil Summoner recently, and it's so very different but really great as a hack & slash with what i find to be a fantastic setting. i put down the little time id spent with Digital Devil Saga (will revisit later!) just to get into it. reused assets be damned, i'm getting different experiences from these spinoffs and many of them are quality.
SMT4LYFE

Delio

Oh i like to say i got into the series with Persona 3. Luckly a dear friend showed me the amazing music and setting and i was hooked. I have since went back and started collecting the older games in a effort to play them all..someday.

Snakeyes

Aeana said:
I was wondering if I was the only person here who played the original Megami Tensei games.

Are you talking about the Digital Devil Story ones? I'd try them if there's a translation patch.

cj_iwakura said:
I honestly preferred the first game. 2 had better gameplay, but that's all I liked more. 1's atmosphere was amazing, and the abrupt shifts in tone were insane.
I'll agree on that SMT1's dreary
pre and post-apocalyptic Tokyo
was amazing in terms of atmosphere, but SMT2's neo-Tokyo was cyberpunk awesomeness. Also; SMT2 didn't feature a 30 level pitch black police tower dungeon filled with pitfalls everywhere.

Aeana said:
Before the Maniax version of SMT3 came out, SMT2 was my favorite by far. It is still one of my absolute favorite games (Soul Hackers and it move around in the nebulous #2 spot these days). The music in SMT2 still brings back really fond memories of playing it when I was younger, especially 2D:Siren which honestly kinda brings tears to my eyes when I hear it.
Right on.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I really need to get around to playing SMT3 one of these days. SMT1 always creeped me the fuck out for some reason.

Aeana

Oh, I also should point out that Atlus considers SMT If.. to be one of the mainline games right along with 1, 2, 3, and SJ.

cj_iwakura

Aeana said:

It's all about Dat Messian Death Disco.

Also, I should mention that for what it is, Imagine has a pretty dang good plot.

Aeana said:
Oh, I also should point out that Atlus considers SMT If.. to be one of the mainline games right along with 1, 2, 3, and SJ.
I thought ...If was Devil Summoner/Persona 0.5? Didn't one of the MCs appear in Persona 2?

cj_iwakura

viewtifulsub said:
I thought ...If was Devil Summoner/Persona 0.5? Didn't one of the MCs appear in Persona 2?

The female protagonist, Tamaki, is considered canon. She appears in Persona 1 and 2.

Aeana

viewtifulsub said:
Persona grew out of If.., but If.. is a mainline SMT game itself.

An-Det

SMT is fucking awesome. I've still got a lot more to play (P2 psp, SMT 2, the Radou games), but what I have played I've loved. Definitely one of my favorite franchises, so good.

Aeana

cj_iwakura said:
I like the game enough, but it feels more like a rom hack of SMT1&2 than a mainline game.
I don't necessarily disagree - it definitely reuses way too much stuff - but I'm going by this. I only pointed it out since you listed it under 'other games' in the OP.

Awesome RPG series. I'm a pretty big fan, but not as big of a fan as I'd like. I just don't have the time or the patience to play through all of the SMT titles I want to.
One day tho...One day.

cj_iwakura

Aeana said:
I don't necessarily disagree - it definitely reuses way too much stuff - but I'm going by this. I only pointed it out since you listed it under 'other games' in the OP.

It doesn't carry the same weight in the US, but I think that's because in Japan, having the SMT logo on a game is a pretty big deal.

Aeana

Man, listening to this reminded me of the weekends I spent playing SMT1 when I was in middle school. I think I'm going to start up a replay of this tomorrow - GBA version though.

I'm pretty mixed on SMT.

I don't particularly like any of the Persona's. But Nocturne is one of my all-timers, and Devil Summoner 2 is close.

As for the other side projects that I've played, I'm fairly indifferent to them; and I'm not that obsessed to go back and play the ones on Famicom and Super Famicom.

Top Bottom