• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Community Thread: Be Your True Demon

Rizzi

Damn it. I bought a PS2 hdmi converter, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. And now my PS2 seems to have stopped reading discs. I could have just bought a PS3 and played the PS2 classics versions of these for like $30 more. :(

Damn it. I bought a PS2 hdmi converter, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. And now my PS2 seems to have stopped reading discs. I could have just bought a PS3 and played the PS2 classics versions of these for like $30 more. :(

Got a PC that can run the PCSX2 emulator? There's a tool that rips your original PS2 games with like 1 click after you put them in your DVD drive. I got my whole collection from back then on my PC. It's unfortunate your hardware doesn't run anymore but playing PS2 games on the original hardware is honestly not that good an idea in 2017.

Rizzi

Got a PC that can run the PCSX2 emulator? There's a tool that rips your original PS2 games with like 1 click after you put them in your DVD drive. I got my whole collection from back then on my PC. It's unfortunate your hardware doesn't run anymore but playing PS2 games on the original hardware is honestly not that good an idea in 2017.

Yeah I've tried using PCSX2 before, but it seems to crash constantly when I try to make it work.
Also I can't seem to get characters to have shadows in Nocturne, and the map displays wrong, which is kind of weird.

Opa-Pa

You could try modding your PS2 to support external HDD loading, I haven't done it myself but it's a pretty popular thing I believe. That way you wouldn't have wasted the money!

Also DDS runs awfully on PS3, it's like 20fps and has pretty bad audio desync on cutscenes, so leave that as a last resort.

Rizzi

You could try modding your PS2 to support external HDD loading, I haven't done it myself but it's a pretty popular thing I believe. That way you wouldn't have wasted the money!

Also DDS runs awfully on PS3, it's like 20fps and has pretty bad audio desync on cutscenes, so leave that as a last resort.

I dont think you can use a HDD with the most PS2 Slim models. Shame about the PS3 port of DDS. Might just see if I can make PCSX2 play nice.

cj_iwakura

I always play on original hardware, especially with PS2, especially with the SMT games being hard-wired to only work properly on actual PS2s. Thanks Okada(or whatever demon he made a pact with).

I always play on original hardware, especially with PS2, especially with the SMT games being hard-wired to only work properly on actual PS2s. Thanks Okada(or whatever demon he made a pact with).

Actual PS2s and sort-of PS2s. I played my PS2 copy of Nocturne on my OG PS3 (with the PS2 chip) and it worked fine.

Ah, that works too. As long as it's not the sketchy PSN version.
(I so would have double dipped had it been flawless.)

Yeah. I never found the PS2 games from PSN to work well on the PS3, at least not on my OG unit. The latency on the PSN God Hand is so bad it's almost unplayable.

Hylian7

Ah, that works too. As long as it's not the sketchy PSN version.
(I so would have double dipped had it been flawless.)
I realize that version isn't ideal, but that was all I could get. It works.

I technically have a PS2, however it was a freebie that a friend found at a garage sale that he fixed up and couldn't trade in to GameStop because the power cable doesn't secure into the system.

Good thing the PS2 games are on PS3 PSN.

Rizzi

Are the Raidou Kuzunoha games must plays? The first one is very expensive and hard to find, and the second one never got a PAL release. I know they're pretty different from everything else SMT related but not much else.

Frimaire

ehhh, I wouldn't say they're must plays like Nocturne/DDS, still fun, though.
The biggest difference is that it uses a real-time battle system as opposed to a turn based one. You can use 1 demon you collect/fuse at a time as a partner in battle.
It's bigger on story/characters than Nocturne, but I wouldn't say as much as DDS.
The setting's pretty cool too, 1930's Japan.
Granted, I only played the first game...

asagami_

Banned
Are the Raidou Kuzunoha games must plays? The first one is very expensive and hard to find, and the second one never got a PAL release. I know they're pretty different from everything else SMT related but not much else.

The first one has an amazing plot.
And the plot-twist is the great thing ever.

Opa-Pa

The first one has an amazing plot.
And the plot-twist is the great thing ever.

Yes, this.

Combat wise is nothing too notable. It's good fun but it feels too basic and repetitive until it opens up once you level up a lot and get better demons.

The story though is pretty charming! It has a light hearted 90s anime mood, but with occult stuff. It's a bit too long for its own good, but the plot escalates to such heights that it's more than worth it by the end, it goes some /crazy/ places, even for a Megaten game.

I've yet to play the sequel, maybe soon.

Devil Summoner 2 is amazing and was one of my favourite 2009 games. I imported the collector's edition with that black Jack Frost plushie back then.

Also, at the guy on here who wants to play Digital Devil Saga: good choice. I finished the first DDS in 2015, the second with imported data on hard difficulty in 2016. The first game is vastly better honestly despite the reviews suggesting otherwise but they're both well worth playing if you are into good dungeons. The first game has some of the best dungeons in the series along with Nocturne and Strange Journey. DDS2 can't really compete but you'll want to play the whole series anyway when you are done with DDS1.

And unless you are very seasoned, I'd probably not start DDS2 on hard (which is possible with imported data). The bosses are brutal and unless you just happen to have the right set up and skills learned (which you couldn't have predicted), you'll have to grind.

DDS1 has better dungeons and better optional content than DDS2. I remember getting to the last dungeon after like 20h, and then it took me another 10-15h to do all the optional stuff that opened up, all of which was really damn good too.

Also, both DDS games have some of the hardest post game bosses you'll ever face (although I think both require hard difficulty, so you'd have to replay DDS1).

Frimaire

God, the ultimate boss in DDS 2 is the hardest fuckin' boss I've ever fought in any video game.
I had to get cj's help and use a calculator and pen and paper.
I never fought the one in DDS 1, but the concept is hype.

The
Demifiend
in DDS1 can basically only be beaten by luck or with a strategy that originated on Gamefaqs (I think) that still involves luck because the boss can annihilate your party if he does certain attacks too often. You just have to hope RNG goes easy on you and follow a very strict pattern of what to do each round.

I never bothered to be honest. If you beat the boss, you get a ring in DDS 2 that is not useful.

Raidou 1 has one of the best megaten endgames.

2's plot is weaker and despite combat refinements has way too much boss reusing. Still worth playing though. I think the cast of 2 is overall stronger.

cj_iwakura

God, the ultimate boss in DDS 2 is the hardest fuckin' boss I've ever fought in any video game.
I had to get cj's help and use a calculator and pen and paper.
I never fought the one in DDS 1, but the concept is hype.

Persona 3's and Nocturne's are worse. DDS2 is #3 on my list of conquests.

Raidou 1 has one of the best megaten endgames.

2's plot is weaker and despite combat refinements has way too much boss reusing. Still worth playing though. I think the cast of 2 is overall stronger.

Yep. Raidou 1 has a way more compelling plot. Raidou 2 has some great tunes, though.

If SMT4 got remade Breath of Fire style

tumblr_ofx4146Hf81u46q4qo1_500.gif

Lynx_7

That picture alwasy makes me wish we had gotten a title with a similar art style on the 3DS. I guess Devil Survivor 3 could've been close enough due to its isometric perspective, but sadly it never happened. At any case, I'm curious to know what that particular team has been working on since TMS.
Hopefully on something closer in tone to DeSu 1.

And I love Raidou's atmosphere, setting and style. The OG "oozing with style™" before P5 came along. Sadly I never got too far into it. I have the PSN version downloaded but people say it runs like crap so I'm a bit hesitant.

Capra

I actually came in here to ask: Do you guys have any advice for someone who desperately wants to enjoy Raidou 1, but can't get past the repetitive combat? I love the atmosphere, music, characters, story, style... Everything except the actual gameplay itself.

Maybe I just need to give it time until it opens up? I just started Chapter 4 so it's still early on, but as of right now the combat is just mashing the same 3-hit combo and using bullets to exploit weaknesses. I also just finished P5 and am coming back to Raidou after a few weeks, so the contrast in customization and variety in combat compared to that game isn't helping.

Edit: Chapter 4 spoilers -
Rasputin is a robot.
Alright game, you've won me over. Let's see where this goes.

cj_iwakura

I actually came in here to ask: Do you guys have any advice for someone who desperately wants to enjoy Raidou 1, but can't get past the repetitive combat? I love the atmosphere, music, characters, story, style... Everything except the actual gameplay itself.

Maybe I just need to give it time until it opens up? I just started Chapter 4 so it's still early on, but as of right now the combat is just mashing the same 3-hit combo and using bullets to exploit weaknesses. I also just finished P5 and am coming back to Raidou after a few weeks, so the contrast in customization and variety in combat compared to that game isn't helping.

Honestly can't suggest much. The game doesn't really change. It becomes a little more fun when you get some broken demons near the end, but I'm numb to repetition in SMT. The story is worth it for sure.

Hylian7

Neat reference to another SMT game in the 6th dungeon in Persona 5:
When you get to the Battle Arena on the High Limit floor, you have to fight 3 battles in a row and the third one is Thor. Sound familiar? In the Mantra trial in Nocturne, you had to fight 3 battles in a row, and the last one was Thor.
I like that they made that reference.

Golnei

Can I have a game that looks like that? I want a game that looks like that.

tumblr_ogsxys7JgZ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Well, another game that looks like that. SMT's usual settings do seem like natural fits for the style, though - I can't get enough of cyberpunk or post-apocalyptic cityscapes rendered in beautiful pixel art / sprite animation.

Rizzi

tumblr_ogsxys7JgZ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Well, another game that looks like that. SMT's usual settings do seem like natural fits for the style, though - I can't get enough of cyberpunk or post-apocalyptic cityscapes rendered in beautiful pixel art / sprite animation.

The only Breath of Fire game I've ever played was Dragon Quarter. :p

Oh wow at that gif! The thought of having Persona 2 looking like that is too much to handle.

As for Raidou, I played both back on the PS2, I really liked the setting and atmosphere but its been so long that I barely remember anything about the story.

The most vivid part is
a giant robot trying to wreck the town.
Is that in 1 or 2?

Capra

Update: After playing through Episode 5, I think it's finally clicked for me. I still don't think the battle system is anything to write home about, but the world map's opened up some and prioritizing ammo upgrades whenever I see them has proven helpful. The story's also getting crazier -
Time travel? Space? Time traveling MechaRasputin?
- and it's got its hooks in me.

Still looking forward to the 2nd game - everyone says the battle system is much more interesting even if the story isn't as good. To be honest, I was almost about to call it quits on 1 and just jump into 2 earlier before being told that 2 had bonuses for importing a Raidou 1 save. Glad I held off.

Opa-Pa

Update: After playing through Episode 5, I think it's finally clicked for me. I still don't think the battle system is anything to write home about, but the world map's opened up some and prioritizing ammo upgrades whenever I see them has proven helpful. The story's also getting crazier -
Time travel? Space? Time traveling MechaRasputin?
- and it's got its hooks in me.

Still looking forward to the 2nd game - everyone says the battle system is much more interesting even if the story isn't as good. To be honest, I was almost about to call it quits on 1 and just jump into 2 earlier before being told that 2 had bonuses for importing a Raidou 1 save. Glad I held off.

The combat never really evolves much in Raidou 1, but once the encounters get harder it forces you to strategize a bit more and use direct commands for the demons, which can be pretty fun. I did the extra challenge required for the secret boss, which forced me to make better demons and it was all fairly satisfying.

And yeah, the story is something else haha, would you believe me if I told you it gets even crazier?

cj_iwakura

I assume by Devil Summoner 1, you mean Raidou 1, right?

I still want to play this game, it's the real Devil Summoner 1:

Devsum.jpg

Man, you really aren't missing much... I have the Saturn version, and I really want to finish it, but the game actively hates you and everything you love.

Here's a taste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxJzdFtgBoA

And that's the sped up PSP version. Imagine on Saturn.

I LOVE this song though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNO_OBTZjs

It's where the amazing Shinjuku Babel music in Imagine came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHGPMhIiTlU

Hylian7

Man, you really aren't missing much... I have the Saturn version, and I really want to finish it, but the game actively hates you and everything you love.

Here's a taste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxJzdFtgBoA

And that's the sped up PSP version. Imagine on Saturn.

I LOVE this song though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNO_OBTZjs

It's where the amazing Shinjuku Babel music in Imagine came from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHGPMhIiTlU
We go though this every time lol, but I really want to experience it. The game​ clearly has some quality merit to it's name, even if it isn't as good as Soul Hackers.

cj_iwakura

We go though this every time lol, but I really want to experience it. The game​ clearly has some quality merit to it's name, even if it isn't as good as Soul Hackers.

It definitely does. The story is something else, and there's an eerie real world atmosphere to it that isn't in any other SMT game.
gfs_14008_2_9.jpg

gfs_14008_2_169_mid.jpg

gfs_14008_2_7.jpg

There's something very haunting about the sprites' soulless look.

I just wish it was more fun to play.

Oh, and it has the most badass weapon shop ever. A real estate office that's a front for the mafia. He flips a switch and gun shelves show up everywhere.

Aeana

The script for that's been translated for a while, I think it's just waiting for a hacker.
But yeah, it's not a great game.

cj_iwakura

The script for that's been translated for a while, I think it's just waiting for a hacker.
But yeah, it's not a great game.

Yes and no... someone from /SMTG is working on editing it. EsperKnight plans on hacking it once he's done.

He goes by '理德牧師' on Steam.

Top Bottom