• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

havn't they said the footage shown was taken from a point where the player would be approaching "end game"? in which case, those enemies that are dying quickly probably wernt always dying quickly.

Sort of a mix up there. When Bungie said that, they were showing the press a hands-off gameplay presentation of a level 20 Guardian. The gameplay footage shown of the Devil's Lair Strike, are level 8 Guardians, who aren't close to endgame yet.

KORNdoggy

Sort of a mix up there. When Bungie said that, they were showing the press a hands-off gameplay presentation of a level 20 Guardian. The gameplay footage shown of the Devil's Lair Strike, are level 8 Guardians, who aren't close to endgame yet.

oh, my bad.

edit:

and the enemies where what level? above? below? same? i assume the life bar is relevant to the gameplay the same way it is in borderlands. ie. you could enter an area of vastly superior enemies, and a life bar shows you're doing nothing in regards to damage compared to no visual feedback at all.

KeRaSh

oh, my bad.

edit:

and the enemies where what level? above? below? same? i assume the life bar is relevant to the gameplay the same way it is in borderlands. ie. you could enter an area of vastly superior enemies, and a life bar shows you're doing nothing in regards to damage compared to no visual feedback at all.

The enemies were Lv 6 (it says so next to their health bar).

Safe and uninspired. The Halo-ness seems more like a knockoff than a genuine Bungie game.

I must agree.

The fact that is looks like Halo doesn't do this game any favors. I would have been much more impressed with a totally different art direction, instead of some Halo DLC. Even the spaceships dropping troops... sorry Bungie... not impressed. I REALLY hope the different locations will offer a some interesting exploration possibilities.

I still have this pre-ordered... but not very excited atm.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I must agree.

The fact that is looks like Halo doesn't do this game any favors. I would have been much more impressed with a totally different art direction, instead of some Halo DLC. Even the spaceships dropping troops... sorry Bungie... not impressed. I REALLY hope the different locations will offer a some interesting exploration possibilities.

I still have this pre-ordered... but not very excited atm.

Hyperbole much? This looks nothing like Halo DLC....

It has some similarities, sure, but it has way more differences.

Halo had a lot of similarities with Marathon too. Still were very different games.

KORNdoggy

i do think it looks a LOT like halo in regards to aesthetics and gameplay. but there is enough there (mainly stuff taken from others games like borderlands and warframe) to make it seem different enough.

i do think this has more in common with halo then current 343 halo though. this seems like a natural development of the key principles of the bungie halo games...that linear to open transition common in a typical halo level. only destiny is on a much larger scale. it seems to me that if bungie where still making halo, this is where it would have been. and after the opposite approach seen in halo 4 (very linear and story focused), i'd even go as far as saying you'd probably get a more faithful halo "experience" with destiny then you will with halo 5.

oh, my bad.

edit:

The enemies were Lv 6 (it says so next to their health bar).

Most of the enemies are level 6, though right at the beginning there are a handful of level 10 enemies, which don't appear to drop quite as quickly as the level 6 enemies (but it's hard to tell since they're usually getting hit by multiple Guardians at once).

Hyperbole much? This looks nothing like Halo DLC....

It has some similarities, sure, but it has way more differences.

Halo had a lot of similarities with Marathon too. Still were very different games.

That's a reach (using that as a comparison).

This seems harsh, but Destiny looks kind of like a game Bungie would make if Amazon bought them to make 'Halo-like space FPS game' for a launch title for FireTV 2.

This is happening to me as well and I'm beginning to wonder if Titanfall's fluid mobility has ruined other FPS games for me. The other night I was playing Capture The Flag in Halo 4 and I tried double-jumping to scale along a rock face and over a barrier. Needless to say it didn't work.

The same thing happened to me. I played Halo 4 for a little bit the other day and everything felt so slow.

I don't think it will ruin other MP games for me but it will take a bit more getting used to than before.

At a minimum, most other games will have to incorporate some sort of climbing mechanic to reach high points.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I am a gigantic Halo fan... that is why I am disappointed with Destiny.

If you're a gigantic halo fan I refuse to believe that you actually think no one would notice if suddenly a bunch of Vox, Devil Worshipping Fallen, and Hive creatures popped into a Halo encounter..... That just doesn't make any sense,

Sure there are similarities in art style and themes, just like between Halo and Marathon. Doesn't mean they aren't totally different games.

Factions, number of weapons, weapon customization, focus trees, personalized transports, hub worlds, classes, space magic, armor with stats, loot systems, public events, raids, storyline, lore, weapon design, etc etc etc are all wildly different than Halo.

Sure, some of the armors, ships, and Skyboxes remind one of halo, maybe even Ghost somehow reminds you of Cortana.

That said, there are no rugged space marines, no 7.62 assault rifles and spartan lasers, no warthog like vehicles running around, no iconic hero, no galaxy spanning traversal, no alien covenant under a religious banner, no flood like bio weapon, no huge reliance on grenades, no ship to ship space navy battles, no intimate relationship between yourself and a companion character, etc etc etc.

Destiny is pretty far removed from Halo if you're a Halo fan.

Someone never playing either and seeing more similarities is somewhat forgivable.

Some new details I haven't seen elsewhere from Eurogamer

According to Green, you need to play "a couple of hours, tops", to unlock PvP. "And that's only on your first character."

But why force players to play Destiny for a couple of hours before letting them try PvP? According to Green, it's to ensure players have good enough abilities and equipment to compete.

"We found early on that people here in the studio, when they jumped on the game - these were people who were already really familiar with the game mechanics - they would roll a new character, play through the first mission then go right into PvP, and they would just get really beaten up by the other players because they didn't have a super ability yet and they'd only got an auto rifle from the first mission," Green says during a recent visit to Bungie's office.

"And they said, 'this is really awful, this is a terrible experience!' And we said, 'you're right, we have to make sure that doesn't really happen.'

"So when your first character unlocks PvP, you're a little bit further into the game. You've probably done one or two of the campaign missions, probably unlocked a special weapon and your super ability. And then once that's happened we unlock it for all the characters on your account. Once you know how the game works, if you want to take a Hunter into PvP at level three, yeah, we're okay with that. You know what the game is at that point, so that's your decision to make."

What happens when you hit the level cap in Destiny? Green says getting there is "actually a pretty quick process". "We wanted levelling up and reaching a cap something you don't look at and say, 'well, that will take me weeks so therefore I can't play with my friends who are already at the level cap.'

Once you do hit the cap, Destiny is more about gaining and equipping the gear that will let you go deeper into the game, Green explained, calling it the "gear collection game". This is where the comparison with Blizzard's action role-playing game Diablo comes in.

At the cap more Strikes present themselves, six-player Raids become available and there are higher levels of PvP you can engage in with better weapons and armour. You can also unlock more abilities on your focus, which is a "longer tail process", Green says. Expect to work long and hard to unlock all the third tier options within your focus.

Essentially, the Destiny endgame is about doing activities to get the drops you want. Green compares the experience to Diablo, "in the sense that it's about moving onto the more horizontal growth - trying new abilities and builds and weapons, with the same element of growing more powerful as a character so I can do the harder activities that exist in the world."

But Bungie will also work to ensure there is something new to do in the world every day of the year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-30-how-destiny-turns-into-diablo-when-you-hit-the-level-cap

Toxi

Banned
Why? What about it is uninspiring. What would you have preferred to see? What would make it better?
It looked very small. Not many places to shoot from, especially places on a higher vertical plane (though I did see one sniper spot, and I hope the players can access it). There was also one of those horrible "defend this area from waves of enemies" spots.

I dunno, I was expecting more, especially considering this is apparently an end-game level.

broony

It looked very small. Not many places to shoot from, especially places on a higher vertical plane (though I did see one sniper spot, and I hope the players can access it). There was also one of those horrible "defend this area from waves of enemies" spots.

I dunno, I was expecting more, especially considering this is apparently an end-game level.

It's not. It's a strike which is a short side mission designed for three players to burn through in about 20-30 minutes. Same as the moon strike we saw in a previous trailer. There are going to be shit loads of strikes.

Why? I like the sound of that. Have an investment system that will plane out and put everyone on a similar level.

Their character may be the same level as another but it seems like someone who grinds for gear will have a distinct advantage against someone who doesn't.

Wizman23

Banned
After watching the original 7 minute gameplay video a few more times 1 thing I noticed was how many different branching paths there were in the short demo they gave. Not just branching paths that lead to a different way to apprach an encounter, but branching paths that lead to totally different areas.

Stop calling everyone out on criticism. It's white-knighty and annoying.

Stop calling everyone out on anti-criticism. It's black-knightly and annoying.

Edit: I just realized this could be misconstrued as serious criticism. I am joking. I don't want to be brought into a debate. xD

Booties

Banned
What's annoying is people offering up praise/criticism without qualifying a fucking thing.

It's a 7 minute clip. We can only talk about first impressions and basic reactions to what little we've been shown. I don't expect some beautifully written list of pros and cons with supporting evidence. Just putting ideas out there is fine. No need to jump down people's throats.

Even people who have played it have little knowledge of what the game feels like. The woman who wrote that article on Kotaku played for 45 minutes and complained that the loot was bad. No point in going that far.

broony

It's a 7 minute clip. We can only talk about first impressions and basic reactions to what little we've been shown. I don't expect some beautifully written list of pros and cons with supporting evidence. Just putting ideas out there is fine. No need to jump down people's throats.

Even people who have played it have little knowledge of what the game feels like. The woman who wrote that article on Kotaku played for 45 minutes and complained that the loot was bad. No point in going that far.

Fair enough, but one or two sentence replies that amount to "that sucks, I don't like it" are not really adding to the thread.

Qvoth

At the cap more Strikes present themselves, six-player Raids become available and there are higher levels of PvP you can engage in with better weapons and armour. You can also unlock more abilities on your focus, which is a "longer tail process", Green says. Expect to work long and hard to unlock all the third tier options within your focus.

i guess that's it then, raids are end game contents
doesn't sound too bad

No shit.

My point is that you should stop calling out people who are qualifying their opinions. Especially when he's responding to a poster who can't do the same. This is a discussion forum after all.

Phil4000

If this gameplay video was in any way representative of the rest of the game, I am sorry to say it but....the game needs a delay for the better.

I actually like the idea. You get to Level 20, and at that point what differentiates you from everyone else is what weapons, focus, and class you have. With numerous weapons, weapon levels, focus', focus levels maybe?, and class traits, I think I could live with just getting more missions to go through.

I'd be cool if they had vanity levels though. Like Reach after you got past the highest rank you had the "Legendary" ranks or whatever you'd call them. I'd like that. Strictly for bragging rights.

Also, I believe Bungie said they were going to release a mid-sized DLC every year, and an ODST campaign sized release every 2 years. I could be wrong of course, but I religiously follow the Bungie Weekly Update so give me a little credit. xD

I'm so hyped for this now. I pre-ordered the PS4 version to get a beta code and I don't even own a PS4. I'll have to get on that soon.

You can always use the code to get the Beta for whatever console you have already, if you don't end up getting the PS4.

The woman who wrote that article on Kotaku played for 45 minutes and complained that the loot was bad. No point in going that far.

Patricia Hernandez's (would that be Hernandez' due to the similarity of the 's'? Kind of like how "an MMO" is?) article is the bane of my existence. It's terribly written, and a complete outlier from every other article I read. It just screams, "Look at me! I have a negative opinion of a game coming out! Click my article!"

broony

Their character may be the same level as another but it seems like someone who grinds for gear will have a distinct advantage against someone who doesn't.

I don't know if they are building the gear in that way. You might end up with more of it but it might not mean it is better. But then I guess what is the motivation if it's not better.

Booties

Banned
Patricia Hernandez's (would that be Hernandez' due to the similarity of the 's'? Kind of like how "an MMO" is?) article is the bane of my existence. It's terribly written, and a complete outlier from every other article I read. It just screams, "Look at me! I have a negative opinion of a game coming out! Click my article!"

To be fair it is well written by Kotaku standards. Otherwise though, I think it's totally in line with what has been revealed. A lot of people's first impression is that this game is a boring borderlands clone or something along those lines. To hear someone who got to play it for a little while say it was boring is somewhat alerting.

I think Bungie just needs to reveal meaningful content. The outlook right now doesn't seem very positive, yet they respond saying this isn't the true direction of the game. This is a new IP, not Halo. You can't just sit back and let people wonder in amazement at nothing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, Tyson mentions going on a six person raid. How does that work in Destiny? Does that mean six people going through an entire mission together, or does it mean some mixture of separate 1-to-3 people groups going through a mission separately but then coming together to fight a boss in a public event, or...?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/28/i-played-destiny-and
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/28/destiny-first-ps4-hands-on-details/#sf2747761
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5661202/destiny-halo-bungie-friends-list

I just know that all of these seemed really positive. There was another video I saw that really went into both the positives and negatives in really good depth, but I can't seem to find it. :c

She also misquotes Bungie in such a way in her article that it's hard to belief that she doesn't do it on purpose. The line about Bungie saying they "talked a big game" was in the context that they were about the back it up, not in the context that they were apologizing like she portrays it.

So, Tyson mentions going on a six person raid. How does that work in Destiny? Does that mean six people going through an entire mission together, or does it mean some mixture of separate 1-to-3 people groups going through a mission separately but then coming together to fight a boss in a public event, or...?

The way I've heard them described was that "raids are activities that you can do with 6 of your friends" (or something to that effect). They've also been described as end game activities that require a lot of strategy. To me they sound like 6 man dungeons and that everyone participating is in a single group.

Top Bottom