• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest-selling Nintendo console in European history

Nairume

Banned
Also: they don't have to write/port the engine and toolset anymore, assuming it's same/similar to zelda's engine and toolset.
2.5 years of development is steep but possible.
They also don't have to worry about the network features, which would probably cut down significantly on both development and qa time.

I just went to see whether there's data on the PS4 in the same style (i.e., Europe-wide for the first weekend), seems there isn't. Then we would have a better estimate, because if Switch sold better than the PS4 in Europe, they would probably mention that.

Is that even possible? How many PS4s were available at launch? Pretty sure there were supposedly 2 mil Switchs released WW.

Lorcain

It's only going up when the wave of indies start to roll in, and then the rest of the 2017 AAA titles. I'm hoping the Switch will be my goto platform for indies that I would normally buy on PC or PS4.

This past weekend I played BoTW in 5 different configurations, and all worked well:
1. docked TV with joy-cons attached to grip
2. docked TV with split joy-cons (really comfortable way to play with motion control)
3. docked TV using pro-controller
4. portable with joy-cons attached
5. table top with split joy-cons

Nothing else in the marketplace does this.

E-phonk

Banned
They also don't have to worry about the network features, which would probably cut down significantly on both development and qa time.

True.
And monolith also released the original Xenoblade (2010) about 2 years after their previous project (disaster: days of crisis, 2008). They seem to be quite efficient in general compared to Square for example.

Just wait until it gets it's ultimate killer app:

A Samba De Amigo revival where you use your two joycon as maracas, complete with HD Rumble beads.

Great start, seems like the device is well-liked, I know I'm getting one as soon as Amazon restocks.

It's really a great compliment to my PS4. Now I don't have to just be a gamer dad when I'm at home '-)

So excited to finally get mine, and I've been pretty critical on all Nintendo hardware and the prices of just getting into the ecosystem. Still excited to play Zelda wherever I want though, and jump back into some franchises like Mario Kart and Smash Brothers.

Shifty1897

Initial sales numbers mean nothing for Nintendo. In the past they intentionally shorted inventory in order to create hype. They always sell out because they never have enough units for sale.

You could argue that they just manufactured more Switches before putting them on sale this time.

Shiggy

Is that even possible? How many PS4s were available at launch? Pretty sure there were supposedly 2 mil Switchs released WW.

While still plagued by shortages, Sony apparently shipped more than 2.1 mio units in the first two weeks: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps...les-worldwide-according-to-sony/1100-6416510/
That link also mentions more than 700k units sold through during the first weekend in EUR/AUS, I doubt that Nintendo even shipped that many.

Nintendo only intends to ship 2 mio worldwide during this entire month.

Ajszenk

The firm points out that this was achieved during a 'traditionally quiet time for the games industry'.

I guess my wallet and backlog missed the memo this year.

I don't wanna sound negative or anything, but the amount of consoles simply available at launch was far greater then any previous launches. In the shop where i work (Brussels), we had 110 units. (for comparison, we received 15 NES Mini at its launch, 75 PS4's etc.)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Apple does this kind of thing all the time:

• Sell a small batch of units
  • Have batch sell out
  • Claim it's the best selling batch ever
  • Rinse
  • Repeat

Cunning Nintendo, releasing the Wii in small batches so over a decade later they could hype the Switch. Masters of the long game. The Wii U was clearly just a ruse to lower our defenses.

Mokujin

Sounds good, I did my part even if I'm really annoyed at the EU pricing I can't wait to play BotW (my Switch arrives tomorrow).

Hope it does well. Off to a good start at least. I love mine with the Neon Joy-Cons. Being able to play a game like Breath of the Wild - a true masterpiece in my opinion - at my parents, in bed or on the train is a game changer for me.

As for its line-up, I'm really looking forward to ARMS and Super Mario Odyssey.

m.i.s.

Banned
But I wonder, why is Nintendo so big in Germany and France unlike the UK for example?

I'd have to check the figures but consoles have never been particularly big in continental Europe - N consoles particularly. UK is by far the biggest market in raw numbers.

Floody

I know they were ridiculously supply constrained, but still beating the Wii and DS is mighty impressive, Nintendo just need to keep the momentum going and droughts to a minimum and should have a huge success on their hands.

This thing is gonna do crazy numbers when it gets exclusive Pokemon games.

spelen

Great news, I want this to do well as I'll never get a new Metroid otherwise. Quite happy with console, Zelda should tide me over nicely till Mario Kart, which I can't wait for as I never owned a Wii-U. Speaking of which I'd kill for a Mario 3D world port.

My fear is that there won't be anything of significance in the first year aside from these 3 games, as I have no interest in Splatoon.

Nintendo doesn't just make games for your taste so just cause you dismiss splatoon doesn't mean that the majority will (see japan sales).

Lo-Volt

I didn't see that coming. I'm happy about it, but I'm surprised.

In a way, this almost shouldn't be happening. The Switch is a console with a much stronger concept than the Wii U but without the ecosystem and supporting features that early adopters have come to expect from Nintendo's competitors (the online focus and the quality of third party support remain obvious weak spots). And yet, here we are.

And maybe I shouldn't be so skeptical about Nintendo and partners relying on Wii U titles to make up part of its first year library, either (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, LEGO City Undercover). Those are good games being reintroduced for what seems to be a much more engaged base of Switch users.

slit

So will we eventually go back to the Wii days where people spouted things like, "Yeah it's popular but just a fad"?

Top Bottom