• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Virtual Console Details

They look EXACTLY as they're supposed to, 1:1 emulation.
no.

black border around the screen in Wii mode that doesn't exist when you use a normal wii

incorrect aspect ratio when you play VC games in Wii mode on Wii U and since it's outputting in HD many TVs won't allow you to switch it to 4:3 and even if you did it wouldn't be fixed properly since there's the black border anyways

how many times do I have to repeat this in this thread let alone on this page

KAL2006

Banned
People are getting mad over having to pay again (reduced price) for Wii U VC games when they have Wii VC games.

My bigger problem are these:
Nintendo slowly re-releasing shit all over again and not having the full catalog available from Wii VC
Having to re-buy VC games on 3DS (are those transferable at all?, or can we buy for a reduced price?)
Why are VC games on 3DS and WiiU not unified (they both are current systems)

But everyone thinks that's bullshit too, right?
Havent really seen complaints about. Assets may be optimized, and certain features are present on iPad but not iPod/iPhone and vice versa.

People are getting mad over having to pay again (reduced price) for Wii U VC games when they have Wii VC games.

My bigger problem are these:
Nintendo slowly re-releasing shit all over again and not having the full catalog available from Wii VC
Having to re-buy VC games on 3DS (are those transferable at all?, or can we buy for a reduced price?)
Why are VC games on 3DS and WiiU not unified (they both are current systems)

These are legitimate questions. I think the best thing is to wait for NNID to come to 3DS. We wont get details til then.

where are the gamecube games?

seriously, where are the gamecube games? enough with the nes, snes, gna whoring, give me some goddamn gc titles. :/

also

Banned
So they finally allow button remapping for NES games but mess it up with the 50Hz bullshit. *smh* I guess I will stick to the 3DS VC.

EDIT: Someone should edit the OP.

I shouldn't have to pay again for "better" versions of titles I already bought. It wouldn't be much of an issue if the current way to play them wasn't unconvenient and annoying.

This is bullshit.

I take it you haven't bought any HD rereleases then or the Move compatible version of RE5?

It was probably rushed, since they wanted to get the games out before the end of the year. NES games were also slightly gimped when they were initially released, but I'm sure GBA games will come soon (they've already released over 40 Famicom games in Japan, and over 60 GB games, so I'm not sure how many more titles they could possibly put out until they move to SNES and GBA).

Rushed? Like having an E3-quality announcement months before E3 with just a slideshow for some titles?

Brera

Banned
They shouldn't charge a thing. I'm not going to buy them again because it was almost fuckin charity when I bought them originally. I don't play them and really fell for nostalgia. I played Space Harrier once or twice. I have enough games to play thru from the current generation. And it's a dollar. They should be happy I bought the damn system. I don't want to do another charity case.

It's nice but I'll skip most games since I already transferred it. They should really get behind the idea that these digital games should be persistent. It should be an attractive option that lasts for the next few generations. But unless they get a great upgrade, it doesn't seem worth it. How much will they get out of this? A few bucks more yet hurt the relationship? Poor show, Ninty, poor show. And I can easily afford this but me buying these games has little value, except for about 5-10 hours this entire year. I'll be double dipping for Zelda Wind Waker but I might have to rethink this shit. I haven't even finished playing thru RE: Revelations but already considered it for the Wii U. Stop abusing me, hardware

But whats the market for this? 100K people? 1 million people? What's the average amount they would get from a guy like me? 5 games? Maybe average $5-$10 bucks from each consumer who made the jump from Wii to Wii U. And a slow roll out. At least give me a window to d/l for free to thank me for buying their system that is not selling like gangbusters. It's hurting the consumers that Nintendo needs the most: gamers who buy launch systems that will go out and use the service. The people who show up in 3 years probably won't care but people like me have given a lot to the company. Send us a thanks. And SmokeyDave is right, they are far behind in the digital realm. This was their chance to make a great leap: set up an account and transfer your Wii digital games and move forward with a persistant online account that can be used for things like theft, loss or just buying an additional machine. They had a great idea to milk the hardcore a long time ago. Multiple different colors. Now, set up an online account for easy transfers of licenses and they could get away with it. But without that safety feature, it's a huge risk. What will they do next gen? Did they totally miss what is happening with digital media the last 5 years? They think I will rebuy again next gen?

I'm already off the Xbox bandwagon because of RROD. There is nothing that states I have to keep buying Nintendo hardware in the future. This should be a slam dunk. Maybe they lose $5million dollars or something but they have to fight back against drought of good 3rd party games with something. This should be easy. 1 dollar seems cheap of them. If that's all it takes to make money on these re-buys, give it to me for free.

This post nails it.

I already own physical copies. I paid extra for convenience.

I'm not paying any more.

Especially not a dollar for emulation...

KAL2006

Banned
where are the gamecube games?

seriously, where are the gamecube games? enough with the nes, snes, gna whoring, give me some goddamn gc titles. :/

They will be full priced games you will have to rebuy ala Wind Waker HD. I don't mind as long as they put some effort in them instead of just being up rezzed.

serplux

Rushed? Like having an E3-quality announcement months before E3 with just a slideshow for some titles?

lol, I'm talking about GBA titles on the 3DS. I don't think that they actually had plans to release GBA games until the 3DS moved a few years into its lifespan, and then they scrambled to think of something of worth for ambassadors before deciding on the GBA.

GRW810

When I bought an iPhone 4, should I have had to rebuy my iPhone 3 apps?

When I bought an iPad, should I have had to rebuy my iPhone 3 & 4 apps?

When I bought my PSP, should I expect to rebuy the PS1 classics I bought on PS3?

How about when I bought a Vita? Do I now need to own the same copy of Metal Gear Solid three times?

You don't seem to understand that businesses are already out there nailing this stuff. It's not unreasonable to expect digital purchases to be tied to a uniform account and work across differing hardware.
Have all those examples been reworked to adapt to new hardware and enjoy brand new features? Nope.

YOU don't seem to understand, because you seem to be suggesting Nintendo are charging just to be able to play these games on a new console. They're not. You can do that for free, or OPTIONALLY pay extra to add new features. Features that Nintendo have invested extra time and money to implement.

Have all those examples been reworked to adapt to new hardware and enjoy brand new features? Nope.

YOU don't seem to understand, because you seem to be suggesting Nintendo are charging just to be able to play these games on a new console. They're not. You can do that for free, or OPTIONALLY pay extra to add new features. Features that Nintendo have invested extra time and money to implement.

Then why do games cost the same on Wii U VC as they do on Wii VC if there is all this extra money and time involved?

I don't mind paying around $1 for my favorites but I really don't know if I'll want to transfer them off my Wii. It's one big transfer right? I'd rather still have my Brawl save on the system I can play with a Gamecube controller. Or hook the Wii up to a smaller TV. I may just end up paying full price for my absolute favorites and keep my giant collection away. :/

Really wish they were releasing them in big dumps like the Xbox backwards compatibility over this slow trickle again.

GRW810

Maybe the worst analogy in GAF history.
I doubt it.

Whoa... what?

Its not free if you already paid for it. They are going to sell these games as VC for the Wii U. They will make a lot of money if they gave these games that their customers already paid for for "free" or not. If I was running a business, I would want my customer to be happy and loyal, and to keep coming back. Exploiting them for a buck a game is not the way I would run my business.

I won't even touch your analogy.
I'd rather you didn't touch my anything.

How are Nintendo exploiting anyone. They're asking you to pay extra money for extra features. Its basically very, very cheap DLC.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
They shouldn't charge a thing. I'm not going to buy them again because it was almost fuckin charity when I bought them originally. I don't play them and really fell for nostalgia. I played Space Harrier once or twice. I have enough games to play thru from the current generation. And it's a dollar. They should be happy I bought the damn system. I don't want to do another charity case.

You can either be mad at Nintendo or mad at yourself for being a sucker, but you gotta pick one.

Glass Joe

Isn't it strange that this "30 year celebration begins today", and Balloon Fight is the first game released? Why couldn't Super Mario Bros have been the first release? Seems so stupid to drag this shit out for so long when you've already got everything up and running right now.

Because Nintendo prez Iwata made Balloon Fight. That's why we get Balloon Fight as a 3DS ambassador game. Balloon Fight as a Wii U VC launch game. Balloon Fight in NintendoLand. Balloon Trip up the ass as long as he's around, basically.

I mean, it's okay, but it IS just a Joust clone and not some amazing classic. It's biggest claim to fame is (according to an Iwata asks) that control method was copied over to Super Mario Bros. swimming levels. And that's sort of a big deal. But 30 cents, I'm cool with it.

They're asking you to pay extra money for extra features. Its basically very, very cheap DLC.

Perfect analogy. The argument should end there folks. Anyone unhappy about the buck or buck and a half can play their Wii versions on Wii U, that is still an option. Or use that free Digital Deluxe Promotion to subsidize the upgrades.

Raptomex

If there is no controller lag I will upgrade for Wii U features. And where the fuck are the 64 games? You know this is something they should have had ready at launch.

Have all those examples been reworked to adapt to new hardware and enjoy brand new features? Nope..

Oh fuck yes they have.

How many iOS App changelogs say they've been patched to support the new iPhone 5 screen?
How many games got patched to support retina resolution?
How many games got Game Center when it came out?

Those weren't $1 DLC purchases. Some were, yes, but the vast majority weren't. And devs continue to patch and improve games.

I'm late to this, but WHAT THE FUCK at needing to repay for access to your previously purchased games. Oh, Nintendo!

They just guaranteed I'll never buy a single VC game. Last thing I want to do is pay again in a couple of years for the Wii U Mii version. Yes, it's a small amount, but it's the principle of the matter. I didn't have to pay $1 - $1.50 each for the Vita versions of my PS1 titles, which support assigning buttons to the front and rear touchpads (in addition to other small enhancements).

Stockholm Syndrome needs to be renamed to Nintendo Fan Syndrome.
Seriously.

smr00

Banned
I am ok paying $1-1.50.

They didn't have to do that or even give us a proper VC but they did. Like the old saying goes "If you don't like it, don't buy it".

I buy Crash Bandicoot on PSN, playable on PS3, PSP, Vita.

I buy Super Mario Bros. on Wii VC, have to rebuy it on 3DS VC and now have to rebuy it on Wii U VC.

Yeah, really convincing me to spend a lot on the VC, Nintendo. Doesnt help that contents still console locked.

pakkit

Banned
its a buck you cheap fucks. Its free. In exchange for Miiverse integration and off tv play. Seems more than fair

Bullshit. Some people have bought hundreds of VC games on their Wii, and now they'll have to pay a pretty penny just to retrieve those games.

Kurdel

Banned
How do I know this won't happen again in 2016 with the Wii U 2?

I swear, this company. I bought over 100$ worth of VC games, and I have to give them more money because they can't make a modern system?

This is fucking bullshit.

NimbusD

honestly I think the $1 'upgrade' is not a bad deal. Being as these games will probably be better optimized to run on an HDTV and have other WiiU features it seems. No one ever said your VC games are going to last forever.

Though I'm not lying when I say it'd be better if they had a VC that worked cross platform eventually so you only have to buy once. People get bent out of shape so easily.

I buy Crash Bandicoot on PSN, playable on PS3, PSP, Vita.

I buy Super Mario Bros. on Wii VC, have to rebuy it on 3DS VC and now have to rebuy it on Wii U VC.

Yeah, really convincing me to spend a lot on the VC, Nintendo. Doesnt help that contents still console locked.

AND the same game save from the PS1 title can be imported and works on all of those. Pick up FF7 right where you left off with the PS+ cloud saves. No $1 fee per game for that.

Glass Joe

so wait, no gamecube vc? that sucks complete arse. :/

The Wind Waker HD remake (and lack of required analogs in some GC games) kind of made me realize they'll probably do the full priced HD remake route for noteworthy Gamecube games. Kind of how they made OOT 3DS and Star Fox 64 3DS. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sunshine HD added to that list someday soon. Maybe even Luigi's Mansion HD.

Maybe if we're lucky they'll be $50 instead of $60 (slight sarcasm). But hey, that way Nintendo can pump out more U games since they apparently are struggling with the longer development times.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
so wait, no gamecube vc? that sucks complete arse. :/

There's 1 game they're making an HD remake for. And that's in a series that already had a 3DS remake, and probably works as a good marketable prototype towards future Zeldas.

What's to say N64 won't come later, after Nintendo is well into getting things to work with the 2 systems they announced already?

Not to mention they haven't said anything about TG16, Genesis, Neo Geo...

There's no real reason to think this is the end of BC updates onto the Wii U.

Holy shit...

ColbertCalledIt.gif

My answer from another thread:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=46302666

I kinda do like the .30 idea though...now they have to do this for 3DS...

(sorry GAF to jinx ya)

Top Bottom