• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

randomwab

Aurelius said:
That they have removed the blood for the European version is bad enough, but now they have also changed the cut-scenes.

I'm in work so I can't see the videos. What have they changed? Is it drastic? No More Heroes is probably the only game i'm still looking forward to now, I don't want the European release to be gimped.

Also, random question, but does anyone know what kind of shoes Travis wears? They look pretty awesome, I wants me a pair.

Davidion

Alts said:
Because of the graphics, and a terrible overworld. Yes, if you overlook these flaws there is a phenomenal game underneath, but the flaws are still there.

I agree with the graphics criticism.

The game is very, very nice though. I just took out
Dr. Peace
and the fighting, though a little bit formulaic at times, doesn't stop being just flat out fun. I'm still surprised at how well the combat system works, and I haven't even broached the later additions to the mechanic yet. I have to say though that I've had some trouble with some of the suplexes; the movements weren't registering.

I'm loving the fact that half the game is an unabashed love letter to the pre-8-bit era of gaming. The innuendos, subtle or obvious, are hilarious too. I'm liking the characters quite a bit so far but the dialogue sometimes flat out bypasses campiness altogether and lands straight into unbearable territory.

The overworld, while seemingly bad, isn't as horrible as people think it is imo. If you think about it, the game really isn't designed to be GTA, therefore you don't have that criminal mentality and it's not sensible for you to be running around destroying everything that walks just because they're there. I'm not enamored with its execution and I definitely think that the bike mechanic needs an overhaul, but I'm not sure that the overworld is as disastrous as it first seems given the limitations that it has to fit in.

Ristamar

Davidion said:
I just took out
Dr. Peace
and the fighting, though a little bit formulaic at times, doesn't stop being just flat out fun.

I was actually slightly worried after the Rank 9 fight. I had fun to that point, but I wasn't sure the gameplay would hold up through another 10 hours. However, the combat actually becomes far more satisfying as you progress for a variety of reasons:

1) You learn new techniques via the Lovikov balls, dumbbell training (extends your combos), and new katanas (they all have a unique feel).
2) The basic enemies become more challenging.
3) The bosses become more varied and challenging.

Dever

Banned
Aurelius said:
After seeing these movies I have cancelled my pre-order.

http://games.fok.nl/news.php?newsid=23320

That they have removed the blood for the European version is bad enough, but now they have also changed the cut-scenes. It a matter of principle, I just don’t want to be told what is suitable for me as a 32 year old gamer. It’s a shame since I was really hyped for this game. Hopefully I will be able to play the NTSC-version sometime in the future using a Freeloader.

The European version is the same as the Japanese one, Red Star didn't change a thing. The cut-scenes are still 100% directed by Suda51.

Dascu

Aurelius said:
After seeing these movies I have cancelled my pre-order.

http://games.fok.nl/news.php?newsid=23320

That they have removed the blood for the European version is bad enough, but now they have also changed the cut-scenes. It a matter of principle, I just don’t want to be told what is suitable for me as a 32 year old gamer. It’s a shame since I was really hyped for this game. Hopefully I will be able to play the NTSC-version sometime in the future using a Freeloader.
I've only watched the Destroyman one, but the censorship is really not that bad. It's different, but it works. It's a matter of taste, I guess.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Shanks said:
I VERY much agree with you. When that happened (especially after that shit ass level), I just sat staring at the screen for like 10 seconds annoyed. That was the only time so far (Rank 4 now) during the game where I felt seriously disappointed. For some reason, I felt that Rank 4 wasn't so hot either.

I actually thought it was one of my favorite moments of the game, and I saved it to a separate file and I watched that whole exchange 3 times already :lol

That long corridor level before it just builds up to it too; this long, trudging, monotonous journey and finally you break out into light to find ...
nothing :lol

I'd like to know whose blood/body that was that lead you there though. I never stopped to examine.

Otacon

can someone tell me what the "??? ?????" on your ranking after each boss battle means?
I usually have 0 points there, so I would like to know what it is and what I am doing wrong ;)

Otacon said:
can someone tell me what the "??? ?????" on your ranking after each boss battle means?
I usually have 0 points there, so I would like to know what it is and what I am doing wrong ;)

oh you mean on the little like old time score thing. thats just not to spoil the other bosses.

Davidion

Ristamar said:
I was actually slightly worried after the Rank 9 fight. I had fun to that point, but I wasn't sure the gameplay would hold up through another 10 hours. However, the combat actually becomes far more satisfying as you progress for a variety of reasons:

1) You learn new techniques via the Lovikov balls, dumbbell training (extends your combos), and new katanas (they all have a unique feel).
2) The basic enemies become more challenging.
3) The bosses become more varied and challenging.

I just started training with the dumbbells and have heard about the variety of the combat extending throughout the game, which is good news.

Admittedly, I got my ass handed to me by rank 9 before I figured out what to do.

Wii said:
I was afraid I couldn't do THAT! at the gym anymore, cause I liked THAT! Yes THAT!
He teaches you
THAT at the end and you know that. The problem is that THAT doesn't produce any other Calgary wrestling moves :(.

Otacon said:
I think I know what you're talking about. One of the Lovikov Ball upgrade mentions giving you a bonus based on your "rank." Once you purchase it, you'll be able to earn points in that ranking area. Basically, it takes your longest combo in that level and multiplies it by 1000 LB.

Also, this game is absolutely amazing. I'm a fourth of the way through on my Bitter playthrough, and I'd probably have beaten it five times through if it weren't for other games requiring my attention.

Otacon

RocketDarkness said:
I think I know what you're talking about. One of the Lovikov Ball upgrade mentions giving you a bonus based on your "rank." Once you purchase it, you'll be able to earn points in that ranking area. Basically, it takes your longest combo in that level and multiplies it by 1000 LB.

Also, this game is absolutely amazing. I'm a fourth of the way through on my Bitter playthrough, and I'd probably have beaten it five times through if it weren't for other games requiring my attention.

I see. Thanks. Yes, that makes sense. I just purchsed that upgrade.
Spent the last 3 hours digging for cards and money...also searching for the remaining Lovikov Balls and shirts.
It's pretty motivating to collect all the stuff.
Before that I finished Shinobu on bitter.
Amazing atmosphere.
Finished the game yesterday for the first time.
Incredible game. Highly entertaining and one of the most playable games I ever played.
The choices might be strange but imo the game takes the best of GTA, MGS, RE4 and SOTC.
Mixed with Suda humor. ;)
I LOVED all the 4th wall stuff at the end of the game.
And, the soundtrack is just incredible.
Damn, way too much "amazing" and "incredible" in this post.:D

Alts

Davidion said:
I agree with the graphics criticism.

The game is very, very nice though. I just took out
Dr. Peace
and the fighting, though a little bit formulaic at times, doesn't stop being just flat out fun. I'm still surprised at how well the combat system works, and I haven't even broached the later additions to the mechanic yet. I have to say though that I've had some trouble with some of the suplexes; the movements weren't registering.

I'm loving the fact that half the game is an unabashed love letter to the pre-8-bit era of gaming. The innuendos, subtle or obvious, are hilarious too. I'm liking the characters quite a bit so far but the dialogue sometimes flat out bypasses campiness altogether and lands straight into unbearable territory.

The overworld, while seemingly bad, isn't as horrible as people think it is imo. If you think about it, the game really isn't designed to be GTA, therefore you don't have that criminal mentality and it's not sensible for you to be running around destroying everything that walks just because they're there. I'm not enamored with its execution and I definitely think that the bike mechanic needs an overhaul, but I'm not sure that the overworld is as disastrous as it first seems given the limitations that it has to fit in.

The problems with the overworld have nothing to do with comparisons to GTA. it's just that ti doesn't work. The popup is so bad, that you will hit a wall you didnt see until two seconds ago. The car screeched to a halt when you hit a car. Your jump can actually only jump over select things. it doesn't add enough to the game, really. That's the problem.

Tenbatsu

Alts said:
The problems with the overworld have nothing to do with comparisons to GTA. it's just that ti doesn't work. The popup is so bad, that you will hit a wall you didnt see until two seconds ago. The car screeched to a halt when you hit a car. Your jump can actually only jump over select things. it doesn't add enough to the game, really. That's the problem.

Actually, I find the overworld pretty ok, the pop up is not that annoying and the frame rate is not that bad. Maybe its just that I dont have high expections:lol

Anw, I finally beat that motherfucker sir
Henry
on bitter, god dam it, took me a freaking 3 1/2hrs!!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Finished it on Mild last night, but saved over my file before I got a chance to watch the real ending. Oh well, started Bitter and I'll work my way back.

Rank 2: The combination of music (Pleather for Breakfast is godly), fighting style
(batting practice with a drunk psychobitch)
, and the best 1 hit KO in gaming history
(faking and straight up beating your face in with a flaming bat, COME ON!)
made the fight my absolute favorite by far.

pulga

Banned
Woo, just finished the game tonight. Another utter mind fuck ending courtesy of Suda51 (but no where near as incomprehensible as killer7's!).

Jean, what a fucking bitch. The battle against her was devoid of any strategy, I just kept mashing A until I got some lucky hit, combo or weapon clash. She was too damn fast to try anything else. Didn't like it. Luckily, Henry completely fucking vindicated the ending. And speaking of bitches! Fuck Sylvia. That better be Travis' spawn at the end!

NotWii

Banned
sonicspear64 said:
He teaches you
THAT at the end and you know that. The problem is that THAT doesn't produce any other Calgary wrestling moves :(.
I know :p
Just at the time, THAT worried me.

NotWii

Banned
What's everyone's favorite beam katana?
My favorite beam katana design/color and powerup animation is
Blood Berry
My favorite beam katana fighting styles are
Tsubaki Mk-I and Mk-III
I wish they let you customise the beam color with crystals, and let you learn fighting styles so I can mix n match rather than sticking with one per katana.

pulga said:
Jean, what a fucking bitch. The battle against her was devoid of any strategy, I just kept mashing A until I got some lucky hit, combo or weapon clash. She was too damn fast to try anything else. Didn't like it.
Jean was a pretty fun and challenging fight, I wasn't mashing A to beat her, I tried to lure her into taunting, then unleashed hell and dodged all her crazy charged attacks, I was really impressed that she actually dodges your attacks rather than blocks like everyone else

Wii said:
My favorite beam katana design/color and powerup animation is
Blood Berry
My favorite beam katana fighting styles are
Tsubaki Mk-I and Mk-III
I wish they let you customise the beam color with crystals, and let you learn fighting styles so I can mix n match rather than sticking with one per katana.

Jean was a pretty fun and challenging fight, I wasn't mashing A to beat her, I tried to lure her into taunting, then unleashed hell and dodged all her crazy charged attacks, I was really impressed that she actually dodges your attacks rather than blocks like everyone else

Spamming charged low with the Mk III makes her ridiculously easy. I don't think she can dodge it and you're invulnerable while attacking.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
BorkBork said:
Finished it on Mild last night, but saved over my file before I got a chance to watch the real ending. Oh well, started Bitter and I'll work my way back.

Rank 2: The combination of music (Pleather for Breakfast is godly), fighting style
(batting practice with a drunk psychobitch)
, and the best 1 hit KO in gaming history
(faking and straight up beating your face in with a flaming bat, COME ON!)
made the fight my absolute favorite by far.
rank 2 is one of my favorite fights too.

NotWii

Banned
Are there only 4 trading cards to collect on Bitter in Destroy Stadium when going to fight Dr. Peace?

Can someone point me to a checklist of Bitter Trading Card locations?

I just did rank 4. Ironically,
this is the first time Sylvia says with "2000% certainty" Travis will survive
and this was the only one I actually died in
(got caught by the spotlight and had to shake free from the box, but I was waggling the remote by accident because I had to do that the first time I ran into the light)
. Also,
old-school shoot 'em up FTW. I accessed it from the TV again to see if there were more levels but sadly there is only one. :(
The cutscenes for the rank 4 fight though (and the aftermath) were awesome
(anyone else thought "FATALITY!" when the assassin was chopped in two by the buzzsaw?)
and put a big stupid grin on my face, especially when Travis
got some tongue action finally.

Wow, this post looks like a marked up confidential government document.

dkeane

Got this yesterday and I'll be going for Rank 8 tonight. Game is really fun. The over-world is absolutely atrocious but it really doesn't matter at all. I'd love to see a sequel (if the rest of the game is as good as the beginning) with some more polish.

Scalpel Knight said:
I just did rank 4. Ironically,
this is the first time Sylvia says with "2000% certainty" Travis will survive
and this was the only one I actually died in
(got caught by the spotlight and had to shake free from the box, but I was waggling the remote by accident because I had to do that the first time I ran into the light)
. Also,
old-school shoot 'em up FTW. I accessed it from the TV again to see if there were more levels but sadly there is only one. :(
(anyone else thought "FATALITY!" when the assassin was chopped in two by the buzzsaw?)

Wow, this post looks like a marked up confidential government document.

I liked how he continued screaming after being cut in half

Ristamar

Scalpel Knight said:

And don't forget
Sir Henry
silently watching from the shadows while they
kiss

Wii said:
Are there only 4 trading cards to collect on Bitter in Destroy Stadium when going to fight Dr. Peace?

Trading card amounts are different on Bitter.
Dr. Peace only has about 4 while Letz Shake has like 7 cards right at the exit.

Can't wait to get finished with my fresh new game (on #3). I've acquired about 5 more T-shirts and I got all the Lovikov balls in 1 day. I was probably never going to play it again after I saved over my Bitter file with a friends game by mistake 3 days ago, but I've gotten more stuff this time around.

Wii said:
Faves are probably between
Tsubaki Mk-II and Mk-III.

And I want to rate all the enemies katanas as well.
Dark Star (sure it's like a whip but beams come out of it. Dude kinda reminds me of the warden from HNK
Henry (nuff said)
Thunder Ryu (his katana's sacrifice is why the Mk-III exists)
Garcian-like man (white is bitchin color for a katana)
5. Normal Thugs (dark Purple beats the light Purple because it can
shoot projectiles)

pulga

Banned
Ristamar said:
And don't forget
Sir Henry
silently watching from the shadows while they
kiss

Holy shit, I missed that.
Sylvia gonna get beaten at home confirmed.

Ristamar

robot said:
Any tips on beat
Henry
? Seems like it's gonna be a loooong battle.

On Mild he isn't bad, just be sure to dodge his charge attack and use your wrestling moves at every opportunity. I beat him on my first try in 5 or 6 minutes. I imagine he's a real bastard on Bitter, though...

Tenbatsu

Ristamar said:
On Mild he isn't bad, just be sure to dodge his charge attack and use your wrestling moves at every opportunity. I beat him on my first try in 5 or 6 minutes. I imagine he's a real bastard on Bitter, though...

Good luck! Am not doing it ever again in my entire life.

Davidion

Alts said:

The popups is bad, though the thing that it affects the most in my experience is the
Lolikov Balls
. That's the thing, I find that the overworld is designed to not be a physical city but more of a complicated mission navigator/backdrop; I'm not sure if it's supposed to add much to the game. Think about it, what can you do in the overworld,
find the lolikov balls/stash, train, and go to special sites. It's not rich enough to be a full blown city like in GTA where the idea is you can do anything.

Though I agree, it can be so much more; I do think that this aspect could have been worked on more in the game, not in the sense of creating this much better overworld but finding a better way of making the missions and side objectives flow with each other, maybe even making the game more linear.

Anyways, I just beat
shinobu
and
got all the lolikov balls as well as the latest training upgrades
. I do kind of like the fact that you don't have to dig through retarded amounts of digging in order to get the secrets.

Do you get anything for getting gold on your side missions?

Scrubking

People need to realize that the overworld is just there to support the main parts of the game IE the boss fights and jobs. You need to have a city if you are going to mow lawns or pump gas. There is no need to make the city GTA-like in a linear action game.

stuminus3

Suda, you've done it again.

I should not like this game. Considering my ever-increasing lack of tolerance for bullshit in video games these days, I should hate this game. Yet just like Killer 7, I am completely blown away, and can't really explain why.

Damn you, Suda. You've done it again.

Christine

TwinIonEngines said:
Man,
Sir Henry Motherfucker
is a tough nut on bitter. I'm just not having any luck doing significant damage to him, and I can't evade perfectly forever.

Okay - this is the thing to do if you don't want it to take all week: Dark Slide during his combo, smack him once or twice with the katana to make him stagger, then charge a low strike during the timestop and let him have it with the full charge combo.

No6

Scrubking said:
People need to realize that the overworld is just there to support the main parts of the game IE the boss fights and jobs. You need to have a city if you are going to mow lawns or pump gas. There is no need to make the city GTA-like in a linear action game.
Why do I need to mow lawns or pump gas? The issue with the overworld is that it's just terribly done. Driving is bad, a lot of stuff is spread out, the lolikov balls are a collectathon, and stabbing the ground for cash is a waste of time. The whole thing is just a lot of bad design decisions and shoddy gamemaking mashed together; since the city is essentially meaningless, a better approach would be something more akin to an island with a central hub/mall of shops (or a Dead Rising-esque supermall where you could do the boss fights).

I'd far prefer they had spent the time wasted on the overworld being used to either provide more ranking fights or more variety in side-assassinations.
This game is really finishing up strongly... Rank 3 & 2 were awesome.
Huh, I thought just the opposite. 4 was great but 3 was dull and overlong and 2 was just tiresome (never a fan of endurance matches in any game).

Ristamar

I gotta agree that the Rank 3 fight was kinda 'meh' and a lost opportunity, but the Rank 2 fight was fucking awesome on multiple levels.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I have yet to complete one of those side missions where you're supposed to kill everyone but not get hit once. Some jerk always gets a cheap shot in while I'm in the middle of a combo. U guys ever finish those?

Ristamar

140.85 said:
I have yet to complete one of those side missions where you're supposed to kill everyone but not get hit once. Some jerk always gets a cheap shot in while I'm in the middle of a combo. U guys ever finish those?

I've got about four I haven't finished yet. It's easier when you have the MK-II or MK-III and the jump slash. Fight defensively and don't aggro too many enemies at once. The low, lightly charged slash is your friend, especially for crowd control. Use the jump slash to quickly knock down charging isolated foes, then finish them a killing blow. Recharge between skirmishes.

linsivvi

Wii said:

Late reply but yeah there are only 4 in Bitter.

If you can read a little bit of Japanese, this site has a full list of cards and t-shirts. It has graphical maps for all the cards and t-shirts within the city. For the ranked fights it only has the locations in text though it also has a card list on top.

Tenbatsu

140.85 said:

I finished about 7 I think, you need to be careful and plan your attacking route carefully so as not to have too much enemies attacking you at one time. Jumping slash is a plus too for those missions.

Top Bottom