• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Armor And Fine Words... The Official NO MORE HEROES Thread

Proven

Kweh said:
Just had the Rank 5 "fight". Hilarious :lol

I had to go watch it again on youtube straight after. The guy playing that had a
double saber
, how do I get that?

Not actually a double saber. The hilt extends two or four ways (can't recall) and each of those ends has it's own little beam.

zoukka

In the end I warmed up for NMH. I'm at rank 3 and just got Tsubaki III By taking
Thunder Ryu's Katana
to the saber-shop. And it's hilariously awesome!

The money making is still tedious, but I just relaxed and enjoyed the pain. Cut-scenes have been great and I like the story, though it isn't anything like Killer 7 delivered. I'm missing one set of Lolikov balls, but I doubt I'll have the energy to collect them in this playthrough. And I got the "Don't touch my beard" shirt :lol Finally something to replace "Viva Mexico".

How do you get the true ending? Please no spoilers.

kottila

zoukka said:
In the end I warmed up for NMH. I'm at rank 3 and just got Tsubaki III By taking
Thunder Ryu's Katana

The money making is still tedious, but I just relaxed and enjoyed the pain. Cut-scenes have been great and I like the story, though it isn't anything like Killer 7 delivered. I'm missing one set of Lolikov balls, but I doubt I'll have the energy to collect them in this playthrough. And I got the "Don't touch my beard" shirt :lol Finally something to replace "Viva Mexico".

I'm at the first rank fight and I still only have the Tsubaki II without the upgrades...Have died ten times too and have never taken more than half the opponents life.

zoukka

kottila said:
I'm at the first rank fight and I still only have the Tsubaki II without the upgrades...Have died ten times too and have never taken more than half the opponents life.

I skipped all the upgrades, but I wanted to see all the blade-animations (which are sweet). You should get at least the mark III, it is powerful.

zoukka said:
Thunder Ryu's Katana

Suda stated very early in development that NMH was intended to appeal to a wider audience, which explains a number of things in the game.

If your looking for a complex narative like Killer7, hold out for Flower Sun & Rain thats due out later on this year.

I've been intentionally avoiding this thread until i finished, but i might as well do my first post since having both my US and PAL copies arrive on my lap.
On my way to to the 2nd Rank battle....but holy shit Rank 5
Letz Shake boss battle was such an awesome event sequence
Suda just keeps on improving with the t-shirt designs. Killer7 had some fantastic and hilarious t-shirt designs that Travis wore, but NMH leagues ahead in this department. Some of this shirt designs are so awesome that i wish the Grasshopper Record Store stocked them

Dascu

zoukka said:
You must have all beam katanas. Any difficulty level is fine, and I think you don't even need to get all upgrades either.

zoukka

Dascu said:
You must have all beam katanas. Any difficulty level is fine, and I think you don't even need to get all upgrades either.

So basically I should play it with one katana missing and then load, buy last katana and finish again. Or does the true ending make the less-true obsolete?

Dascu

zoukka said:
So basically I should play it with one katana missing and then load, buy last katana and finish again. Or does the true ending make the less-true obsolete?
First of all, you can choose between Ending and True Ending. You can even make a save before that part so you can watch both versions. Second, the True Ending is a longer version of the normal Ending, with an extra boss-battle too. The normal Ending has different credits though.

Proven

Dascu said:
First of all, you can choose between Ending and True Ending. You can even make a save before that part so you can watch both versions. Second, the True Ending is a longer version of the normal Ending, with an extra boss-battle too. The normal Ending has different credits though.

Aww, don't tell him everything...

But yes, once you've finished the final rank fight, you're given two or three options. To return to Santa Destroy, watch the "Ending" and then be allowed to save a New Game+ file, or to watch the "Real Ending", which only appears if you have all three Tsubaki's on your file (although, there's a slight possibility that the only one you actually need in the Mk. III, but I don't feel like testing anything like that out). You'll also be allowed so save a New Game+ file after watching the "Real Ending".

If you want to watch both endings in the same night, all you have to do is put the New Game+ file in a different slot, and then reload the original file, which will bring you back to those choices.

If you decide to return to Santa Destroy, the only things you can do is make money, and buy whatever upgrades or shirts are left. If you go to do the New Game+, it's pretty much the same thing, except with some new collectibles.

Teasel

mmm... i have started to play this,it's a decent game and i'm liking it but some parts feel weak,for example having to free-roam in the city between rank fights and play minigames to earn the money you need is boring... why break the action? combat would also be a matter of mashing the A button alone... the high-low idea is a cool one but i can't remember any enemies that blocks a lot (beside if they block you can just press B and stun them so why bother?) and so it doesn't get used a lot... the real reason i enjoy the combat is all the waggle you have to do for wrestling moves and finishing blow
the overall style of the game also helps,i especialy enjoy all the 8-bitness of certain thing

Dascu

Teasel said:
mmm... i have started to play this,it's a decent game and i'm liking it but some parts feel weak,for example having to free-roam in the city between rank fights and play minigames to earn the money you need is boring... why break the action? combat would also be a matter of mashing the A button alone... the high-low idea is a cool one but i can't remember any enemies that blocks a lot (beside if they block you can just press B and stun them so why bother?) and so it doesn't get used a lot... the real reason i enjoy the combat is all the waggle you have to do for wrestling moves and finishing blow
the overall style of the game also helps,i especialy enjoy all the 8-bitness of certain thing
One job and one or two assassination missions are usually enough to get the money necessary for the next job, so the "boring" parts are kept to a minimum if you focus on the main game.

As for the battle system, enemies and bosses get harder and harder. There's actually a lot of different techniques in the game (jumping slashes, charge attacks, slow-motion side-steps, charged beat attacks, charged death blows, etc.) that are very, very useful in the later missions and assassination gigs.

NMH really gets better after each level. The missions become a lot more varied and the cutscenes are fantastic.

Teasel

Dascu said:
One job and one or two assassination missions are usually enough to get the money necessary for the next job, so the "boring" parts are kept to a minimum if you focus on the main game.

As for the battle system, enemies and bosses get harder and harder. There's actually a lot of different techniques in the game (jumping slashes, charge attacks, slow-motion side-steps, charged beat attacks, charged death blows, etc.) that are very, very useful in the later missions and assassination gigs.

NMH really gets better after each level. The missions become a lot more varied and the cutscenes are fantastic.
well so far i got to rank 5
and uh... there wasn't no fight :/ disappointmenthon!

Dascu

Teasel said:
The next assassination missions are all very odd. You'll see. Also, what difficulty are you playing on?

Teasel

Dascu said:
The next assassination missions are all very odd. You'll see. Also, what difficulty are you playing on?
umm i think mild... i don't really know,the translation called them "sweet" and "salty" i picked the salty difficulty

thefro

zoukka said:
Thunder Ryu's Katana

The money making is still tedious, but I just relaxed and enjoyed the pain. Cut-scenes have been great and I like the story, though it isn't anything like Killer 7 delivered.

You'll love the rest of the game I think. Things really get interesting.

Ristamar

Dascu said:

Yeah, I'd recommend to any new players that they not buy much clothing until the Gamble Fight is unlocked (last assassination mission). There are plenty of free shirts hidden in the city already. The reason the clothing store isn't available in the earliest stages of the game is to avoid putting the player in a large hole and having to perform a load of missions to pay the next entry fee. Limiting the vast majority of your purchases toward the end game or post game will expedite the action in the core missions.

Teasel said:

I actually enjoyed that part.

witness

Bought a Wii and this during spring break and played the hell out of it along with many other games. I got up to rank 6 I believe after 5hrs, or just under 5hrs can't remember, of play time. I loved the game, its great, I made sure I even bought it new even though they had it used, the chick asked to, for sales. I dig the motion controls and the combat, hell I dig the money side quests that reviewers bitched about. I was responsible though and left the Wii at home where its waiting for me in may.

Can't wait to get back to the game and play the second half of it this summer!

Soule

Bought this 2 days ago, it was quite strange getting it too. According to GAME it was supposed to be out on the 20th but they weren't even aware it existed, there's 2 GAME stores in my town and one of them couldn't find it on their computer, the other store I went to was like "NMH? Sure I'll go see when it's released.... Oh... It's supposed to be out.. yesterday, hmmmm. I don't know why we don't have it lol sorry don't know when we'll get it"

EB had given me a release date of the 27th March but I went in browsing 2 days ago saw it and the dude recommended it to me so I was happy to buy from there. First game I've played in what feels like months, the Wii wasn't even hooked up and I'm loving it, I just beat Letz Shake... lol I quite liked this mission and the boss cutscene. Great game all the technical flaws wash right over me, they don't bother me at all and I love the stylized graphics as well as the art direction in general and acting.

The biggest thing for me so far is now that I'm quite well acquainted with the town it's starting to look a bit bland, I still enjoy looking through rubbish bins and for lovikov balls around but I keep looking around and thinking of the potential of what could've been. I hope the sales for NMH keeps on keeping on so maybe they can justify creating a sequel and sinking some decent $'s into it so they have a more polished and incredible game coz I think even though this is my favourite game so far this year it has potential for so much more and I'd love to see that happen.

Also, I started on 'Mild' difficulty and I'm quite enjoying the challenge, the boss fights are actually hard and it's been a while since I've died so much in a game and I have the Australian version of the game so I get the black ash/disintegrate deaths with coins everywhere which I don't really mind but I kinda want the blood now not just for pointless brutality but I think the contrast of rich red around some of the places looks good lol, I still quite enjoy how the coins go everywhere when I kill someone though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Another thing I did love about the game was the pacing.

It was brilliantly plotted out.
The more "money" gathering you had to do before the mission, the smaller the actual "pre-boss" zone appeared to be. It just didn't get stale.

For example, I see people talking about rank 5. It's technically about half way through the ranking missions, but notice how quick it is and then how different 4-1 gets. You think by rank 5 you have nailed the whole 'earn money by doing jobs, do a large walking zone with mindless killing, fight a boss, repeat' - just as this starts to settle in and your mind thinks 'well this is sweet, but i have to do this FIVE more times?' things get completely mixed up. Nothing really is pushed on you too much.

I mean, you can make an argument that the job part is overtly repetitive and you wouldn't be wrong, but to me doing that contrasts the actual journey of the rest of the game and makes it stand out even more brilliantly. The game plays you as much as you play it.

Sadist

Second playtrough here.

I love it. I have the European version and to be realy honest the black spray instead of blood works for me. But the game is amazing. After the rank 6 fight I thought the game was beginning to get predictable but indeed the rank 5 match is weird.
Sure, it was a pure WTF moment but Henry is awesome. Travis, Irish accent: "Well Henry, you took my kill, YOU NAUGHTY BOY" and the way he spaces out against Sylvia :lol

The fight against
Bad Girl
was pretty damn cool. And the clothes in No More Heroes are just top notch. A dutch shirt and one of my favourites the shirt "keine helden mehr". This game delivers. And even my friends were impressed!

No6

thefro said:
You'll love the rest of the game I think. Things really get interesting.
Not necessarily. If you figure out the "gimmick" of the story (which becomes much more obvious at Rank 5) it won't be that interesting. It's still a hoot and worth seeing, don't get me wrong, but the version of interesting you're probably using doesn't hold.

Soule

I'm saving right now just in front of the rank 4 boss fight but I gotta say that was pretty awesome just before :D but something that's been annoying me for the last couple of ranks are the phone calls, I was really impressed by it at first but now the dialogue is getting pretty predictable; "you're about to fight, lose you go to hell, garden of madness, hope u go to the toilet etc. etc." :\

farnham

Banned
cant understand the complaints about the jobbing...

the normal job missions are boring but the assassination assignments are great..

and with that kill 100 enemies assignment raking in money ain't hard anymore..

Soule said:
I'm saving right now just in front of the rank 4 boss fight but I gotta say that was pretty awesome just before :D but something that's been annoying me for the last couple of ranks are the phone calls, I was really impressed by it at first but now the dialogue is getting pretty predictable; "you're about to fight, lose you go to hell, garden of madness, hope u go to the toilet etc. etc." :\
same with me

but when i got it the first time I was like

WTF...

Proven

Soule said:

Huh? But the rank 4 fight was definitely a change of pace with what she said.
She didn't even believe you would die!
Of course, the only ones that are that memorable to me are the last (can't tell you why), the fourth (because of the above spoiler), and the first (the first WTF? along with talking about Death Metal's mother). The others have their moments (
like when your chance of losing is over 1000%
), but I end up forgetting the them still only to laugh and giggle like the first time every time I do a ranking fight again.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Soule said:
well, think of it like a sports pep-talk. you can only hear so many before you've heard them all. theres always some good tidbit in there anyway, for story or entertainment.

Dascu

I would go so far to say that Silvia's calls are meant to feel annoying later in the game. No one likes being called a loser before a big fight. They're meant to piss you off and get you angry.

Teasel

ok i got to rank 2 and i got two question
1) does the game ends after reaching rank 1?
2) why the tsubaki iii is worse than the tsubaki ii? it does less damage and feel definetely slower!
also
isn't it a little illogical that the man can survive explosive bullet,laser beams and grenades but then almost die with some baseball bat hits?

Dascu

Teasel said:
2) why the tsubaki iii is worse than the tsubaki ii? it does less damage and feel definetely slower!
also
isn't it a little illogical that the man can survive explosive bullet,laser beams and grenades but then almost die with some baseball bat hits?
1) More or less. You'll see. There's also a New Game+ option and a new difficulty setting if you're worried about replay value.
2) I'd say it's faster. It also has a longer combo. Its Low charge move is also one of the safest attacks in the game.
also
It's a videogame, duh.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Teasel said:
also
You're at Rank 2 and are still questioning logic in this game's universe? Buh?

Proven

Teasel said:
also

Buy the upgrades dood.

Ristamar

Teasel said:

Slower? Not a chance. Less regular damage, better charge attacks.

And, as mentioned before, upgrades FTW.

zoukka

I'd say mark III kills more enemies with the loaded finisher. In the garage free fight I killed every enemy with just one hit.
Is it the last saber?

Finisher moves with mark III also deal damage to really far directly where you hit. You can see distant enemies dropping dead when slashing some punks before you. I used this tactic in the
Bad Girl fight, by slashing her S&M minions.

Rank 1 left. I'm gonna finish it today!

MoogPaul

I finished the game up about 3 minutes ago. Kinda felt the ending was kind of a copout.
Henry was probably one of the most challenging bosses I've faced in a while.
The "real" ending was kinda weird but I'd def. pick up the sequel if Suda fixes up a few things in the game. over-world map seemed kinda rushed and empty. having to travel back and forth to pick up jobs... once you unlock a job and pick it up at the employment place, the node should just stay on the map instead of traveling all the time. The artistic style was great, however it made things appear really dark at times to the point where it didn't really matter what clothing travis was wearing since it was mostly blacked out by super shadows.
The assassination missions for money could of been a little more interesting. They could of been on the over world map, maybe include a stalking mission or a theft mission or something.
Hopefully, with the engine already up and running, Suda will have more time to refine the second one.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
MoogPaul said:
The assassination missions for money could of been a little more interesting. They could of been on the over world map, maybe include a stalking mission or a theft mission or something.
Those both sound suspiciously like concepts that would turn into completely unwelcome stealth gameplay.

Granted, I'm not all the way through the game yet so I don't know if there are stealth sections later on, but I am hoping against hope that it doesn't happen.

Teasel

ehy i finished it a few minutes ago too! (with the true ending by the way)
my opinion about the game hasn't changed too much... the last 3 boss were annoying,and mostly consisted of "block,block,ok now the boss is open,attack 2 times,block,block" repeat
the ending was stupid
the good kind of stupid,i hadn't laughed so much for quite a while,the fast forward part was awesome...
it's a decent game but it's no god hand

Dascu

Monroeski said:
Those both sound suspiciously like concepts that would turn into completely unwelcome stealth gameplay.

Granted, I'm not all the way through the game yet so I don't know if there are stealth sections later on, but I am hoping against hope that it doesn't happen.
There aren't any stealthy bits. It's all-out action, baby.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So, I'm in the last fight. I need help.

I'm fighting Jeane and I can barely get a hit on her. As soon as I swing against her she just dodges while in place over and over again. On top of that she loves knocking me down and then do it again the second I get up again. HILFE! And what the heck did they say during that fast forward thing? :p

Threi

notag
ItsInMyVeins said:
So, I'm in the last fight. I need help.

I'm fighting Jeane and I can barely get a hit on her. As soon as I swing against her she just dodges while in place over and over again. On top of that she loves knocking me down and then do it again the second I get up again. HILFE! And what the heck did they say during that fast forward thing? :p

only hit her at the end of her "combo", roll around alot, and DON'T try to grapple her.

itsinmyveins

Threi said:
only hit her at the end of her "combo", roll around alot, and DON'T try to grapple her.
Dude, I'm trying to, but at soon as her combo's out and I attack she just moves her upper body and I miss -- I almost never manage to get in those hits right after evading :/

itsinmyveins

sub_zer0:

I have the MkIII but no upgrade (I've bought all the ones before, but none since I got that one). Anyhoo, the problem was that I never got any hits in on her -- she constantely dodged everything. But I managed to kick her ass anyways, but it tooks some damn time.

Now I'm fighting Henry. Wow, does that suck ass or what? I had his life down to nothing and he does some instant kill attack on me. Fun times!

itsinmyveins

Oh, just got the real ending, kinda tough fight there but I found it easier than the one against
Jeane
anyways :O

Proven

ItsInMyVeins said:
Oh, just got the real ending, kinda tough fight there but I found it easier than the one against
Jeane
anyways :O

I share the same opinion on this. for
Jeane
has the same problem as Shinobu, and to a lesser degree Bad Girl, being that the opportunity to attack is quite small.

At least if you have attack combo upgrades she'll be auto-stunned and yes, you should god damn use your fight specific wrestling move on her. Don't worry about it. It's awesome. Well, until the end, but you already know about that, right?

As for the real ending fight, after Shinobu and
Jeane
, you shouldn't be having any problems dodging attacks like that. Ok, at least not as many.

itsinmyveins

Proven said:
I share the same opinion on this. for
Jeane
has the same problem as Shinobu, and to a lesser degree Bad Girl, being that the opportunity to attack is quite small.

At least if you have attack combo upgrades she'll be auto-stunned and yes, you should god damn use your fight specific wrestling move on her. Don't worry about it. It's awesome. Well, until the end, but you already know about that, right?

As for the real ending fight, after Shinobu and
Jeane
, you shouldn't be having any problems dodging attacks like that. Ok, at least not as many.

What upgrade? I think I've bought and trained as much as I can, and she very rarely got stunned for me? I didn't use any wrestling moves since she grabbed me all the time. Regarding the ending of the fight;
I thought I was a goner and got struck by a instant kill attack just when she was about to drop. Damn I was satisfied when I realized that wasn't the case :)

Like I said; the "real ending"-fight was less of a bitch than both Shinobu and
Jeane
, it took some time finishing it though.

One story question though:

What happened to Sylvia? You see her with some kid in the end, but that's about it. Nothing more?

daemonic

Banned
grr I just beat the game yesterday and stupidly saved over the clear file so I can't get back to Santa Destroy to see the real ending.

Great game, combat got a bit frustrating at times and damn those free missions with 1 hit damage, I could never do them. I'm also annoyed with the no retry option for missions, but I'm sure that's come up in the thread many times. I especially loved the customization options though (weapons/clothes). There shouldve been an option for shoes and hair too :lol

Anyway I'm already on my second play through and just tried to beat Shinobu, who kicked by ass and more. I'm gonna have to work on a new strategy.

itsinmyveins

demonix69 said:
I'm also annoyed with the no retry option for missions, but I'm sure that's come up in the thread many times.

Yeah, that was very tedious. I think they should have just skipped the whole free roaming part and gone with a map where you simply chose venue or something.

Soule

So I just finished both endings and lol I completely forgot about
Henry
. Last couple of fights were pretty hard and overall the back half of the game really had me hooked, but the last ranked battle and ending especially, loved every second of it.

So does anyone know how the sales are world wide? I really hope it's gone well enough to justify a sequel hopefully with a bit more polish.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yeah, that was very tedious. I think they should have just skipped the whole free roaming part and gone with a map where you simply chose venue or something.
Yeah at first I thought it was pretty cool, but it's really not interactive enough and too barren.

Ristamar

Jeane
isn't that difficult once you learn her attack patterns. As sub_zer0 mentioned, low fully charged attacks are still extremely effective if you keep your distance, especially since they seem to grant temporary invincibility, but even without them the fight is still manageable if you're patient.

Top Bottom