• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 PC Performance Thread

Cubas

I'm playing it on a i5 3570k with a GTX 980 and 8GB RAM and getting stable 60fps at 1080p with pretty much everything on Ultra except shadows.

The port is pretty great and there are tons of graphic options, the only problem is that the cutscenes stutter a lot, but I think this is a HDD related problem.

Zedox

XPA will get a physical counter part
I hope....

Unless the "never released but only planned" Xbox One DRM system comes back, I doubt that we will see that happen. Might as well hope for digital pricing to go down more than anything.

I LOVE how in the graphics menu each option says if it is GPU or CPU taxing. As someone with a 1070 on a 2500K this is perfect. I'll just avoid anything that kills the CPU. More devs should take note

So, my download keeps on getting bigger and bigger. Right now it says 76.18 GB out of 76.18 and it just keeps on downloading and raising the amount of data. Is this just a glitch and it will sort itself out, or does it actually keep downloading new data (whatever the hell that is supposed to be)?

EDIT: Looking at the amount of free space on my disk, all the Gears 4 data must have been removed since I've gotten ~70GB back. This is the third time it restarts the download. I've downloaded over 110GB now trying to get this damn game.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I don't have any damn room on my SSD for this behemoth. How do I change the download location for this game on the Windows Store? I want to download it to my HDD.

Mifec

I don't have any damn room on my SSD for this behemoth. How do I change the download location for this game on the Windows Store? I want to download it to my HDD.

The game asks you before you install. But if you want to go to start, type in storage then change the option: new apps install to.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Wish Hurricane Mathews would make the clock speed up on my US store :3

Looks and sounds like a great PC version.

Hope for UWA rests with these guys.

The game asks you before you install. But if you want to go to start, type in storage then change the option: new apps install to.

Settings, System, Storage. Save new app to.

From what I've read, it seems that it will download to C: first anyway. So, if you don't have enough space on C:, it will just fail without telling you why.

Mifec

From what I've read, it seems that it will download to C: first anyway. So, if you don't have enough space on C:, it will just fail without telling you why.

It starts auto downloading to whatever your main storage drive is the second you buy it, for some dumb reason.

When I manually went to install it, it installed only on the drive I picked without issues.

It starts auto downloading to whatever your main storage drive is the second you buy it, for some dumb reason.

When I manually went to install it, it installed only on the drive I picked without issues.

Well, nothing about Windows 10 Store makes any sense. I'm going to give it a fourth try before I give up and just play it on Xbox One instead. At least that downloader actually works.

is it possible to download the game on a laptop and move it to my PC? haven't had any trouble with origin or steam but windows store gives me a hell of alot of trouble.

Mifec

My HDD is crying

My SDD is despondent
(paltry 128GB)

rzMwB.png

Mine is all used up.

Glad to have bought a 1tb SSD a few months ago

These early access ultimate editions are a bit lame though. It's released but it hasn't.

Caayn

Holy hell, the benchmark is detailed O_O

gears4benchdeuc4.png

These results are with 3058*1720 set as the lowest allowed resolution.

Caayn

Resolution scaling seems to work a lot better when you've got a framerate cap in place (I literally had a 'duh' moment when I realized that.)

After a few bench runs I've settled on the following:
Base resolution 3840*2160
Min resolution -33% (2560*1440)
FPS target: 60

I've dropped AO to high, the heavy hit you get for using AO on ultra isn't worth it for me.

Edit: Multiple rounds of Horde and not a framedrop, stutter or hitch in sight, lovely! Also those ingame stats in the bottom right corner

Those benchmarks are good news for my friends who all have 280X's or 7970s. Over 30 for ultra and lots of settings to tweak to aim for 60.

Resolution scaling seems to work a lot better when you've got a framerate cap in place (I literally had a 'duh' moment when I realized that.)

After a few bench runs I've settled on the following:
Base resolution 3840*2160
Min resolution -33% (2560*1440)
FPS target: 60

I've dropped AO to high, the heavy hit you get for using AO on ultra isn't worth it for me.

Edit: Multiple rounds of Horde and not a framedrop, stutter or hitch in sight, lovely! Also those ingame stats in the bottom right corner

Nice! Gonna be putting on the same settings.

Chhem

has anyone figured out how to copy the game to another PC? I don't want to have to download another 70gb again.

WhiteWolf

Is there a big improvement when running on the game on a SSD compared to HDD? I usually use my SSD for huge open-world games, but I'll make room for this if it really is that big an improvement.

almost wish I could upgrade to the UE.. but I don't think that's possible.. I got a digital code from best buy for free from buying a xbox one.. I picked the standard.. unless MS would credit me for the game and let me buy UE from them.. but it'd be easier to just wait it out.

Top Bottom