• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where big environments were detriments

Cfer

Neo Member
Weird answer, but I found Mario Kart 64 tracks were too wide and open. I think they were pushing for the 4 players in a room sorta feel but never found it even remotely hard.

Metal Gear Solid V.

So much wasted time getting to mission areas. The mission areas were great, but there was no need for it to be open world vs just having big mission areas with multiple approaches.
How else is a man going to listen to all his cassette tapes with DD riding shotgun?

Dervius

Elite Dangerous can suffer from this.

On the one hand, it's inherent in its vision of what space travel is that getting to places takes up alot of your time. Travel and exploration can be the cornerstones of some peoples experiences.

However you can end up travelling for long stretches of time without anything else to really do. With a bit of know how and committed searching you can find combat or mining opportunities but it can feel repetitive and barren at times.

But then, is that the point?

Xenoblade 1. It was amazing for the first 10 hours but after the honeymoon phase ended the environments just became a chore to get through. And it seemed to me that the areas were getting bigger and bigger. (I never actually finished it)

You know that there is fast travel in the game?

Xenoblade X. Sylvaum.

The white area really. The rest of the areas have a particular landmark or dedign focus but sylvaum really starts feeling like the same thing over and over.

I'm not a fan of open world games for the most part, so the big expansive areas or the playgrounds are just not my thing. Arkham City, Burnout Paradise... two off the top of my head because the previous games (Asylum, Takedown) were some of my favorites.

A-V-B

MGSV. They already had the perfect environment size, and it was Ground Zeroes. Then they just had to go and blow a good thing.

Opto

Banned
If GTA V's goal was to simulate how boring it is to drive upstate for a chore, mission accomplished

Bl@de

Metal Gear Solid V.

So much wasted time getting to mission areas. The mission areas were great, but there was no need for it to be open world vs just having big mission areas with multiple approaches.

You can skip traveling with returning to the helicopter (via menu) after every mission. Load times are 2-3 seconds with an SSD. Traveling was never a problem in MGSV for me. Never had to.

I've never been able to finish Banjo Tooie. I adore the first entry, but the second one's levels were just so big and sprawling and often felt unfocused.

I know people love it, i wish i was one of them. I must have played through half the game a dozen times or so over the years trying to get it to click.

Tapejara

Killzone Shadow Fall

The levels were too wide open. Doom did the objective-based FPS gameplay right.

Yeah, I preferred the more linear levels in Killzone 2/3. Shadow Fall gave you more room to experiment, but the levels themselves were pretty dull.

Hotline Miami 2.

During my original playthrough, i didnt mind the huge levels too much. I was just happy to get more Hotline Miami. I played a couple weeks ago and man they get frustrating, especially when you die to one of the last enemies

Still a great game though

Ha, good answer. In hindsight, even though I was excited by Gran Pulse, it seems very, very boring now.

I don't think MGSV is a good answer for this. Nothing is very far away and there are plenty of transportation options. The only annoying thing about the open design was when the helicopter had to take you back to the mission select screen, when in reality, you may have just wanted the chopper to take you to the next available mission.

I disagree with the far away statement. I'm rarely put right next to a mission zone. I usually need to spend at least a minute getting to a location, be it running or using some sort of transport, and that's after taking the mindnumbingly slow chopper ride. When you go from one shitty extract the VIP mission to another you realize that a lot of your time is being spent on doing nothing at all. As for taking the chopper to the next available mission, just use the menu to exit to the ACC and then go from there. As soon as you fulton somebody and get a confirmation, your progress is saved.

nan0

Far Cry 2.

The premise is cool, but the constantly respawning checkpoints and enemies made getting around super annoying. No (proper) quick travel also hurt alot, could've been well and immersively implemented with some kind of taxi service where you had to pay for.

Also TES games. Yeah, it's cool that there is sometimes unique stuff hidden inside random places, but after the novelty at the beginning wears off there is no real incentive to go in there.

Far Cry 3 - There shouldn't have been a second island. The game was big enough of as it was already, but if you wanted to beat the game and see the ending, you had to go through the a worse version of the first island, that of course included an awful "stealth" mission.

All the efforts they put into the second Island should just have gone to make the first one better.

And the awful save system didn't help either island.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Leave the Hinterlands isn't a useful advice, when the other areas are the same, and often even worse. And all of them are way too big for their own good.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Witcher 3.

There really was no need for all these huge areas with lots question marks that usually contained junk(especially on Skelliger).

i agree that they might have gone a bit overboard with all the ?'s but even if they weren't there i still think a lot of the map was put to good use. i only did some ?'s if i was bored but other than that i felt i got to explore a lot of each map thanks to main/secondary quests and witcher contracts which are definitely not junk.

Melchiah

Another vote for Dragon Age: Inquisition, and post-Arkham Asylum Batman games. I'd also add Witcher 3 among those. I probably wouldn't have quitted the game early on, if it had a more confined and less daunting world.

Killzone Shadow Fall

The levels were too wide open. Doom did the objective-based FPS gameplay right.

Huh? Most of the levels were confined. The ones that weren't, added variety to the game. Personally, I completed KZ:SF, and enjoyed it despite of its flaws (stealth, defense and rail sections), but didn't even complete the demo of Doom. If the former had a Pro patch, I'd revisit it.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Especially that one damn desert map in the lateish game. Was bored of the game, got to that map and quit.

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Just big open expansive nothingness. I am pretty sure Mass Effect is going to be bad based on this! But think of all the focus testing.

Dragon Age Inquisition. The fucking Hinterlands.

It's not a matter of not being able to fast travel, it's just that there's way too many small fetch quests that keep people occupied, a lot of people spent HOURS and HOURS there without even leaving to another zone, which ultimately ended up souring the experience for a lot of people.

I think DA:I's issue was quantity over quality. I'd have been happier if there were fewer locations, but with much more interesting and relevant quests to do in them. I'd have even been happy if Hinterlands was double the size in that situation.

I don't think it was the environments that were DA:I's problem, but the reasons for being in them. When 95% of the content had very little (and at times nothing at all) to do with the main story, that becomes a huge problem and leads to players getting bored.

How else is a man going to listen to all his cassette tapes with DD riding shotgun?

Honestly, I see this as a positive.

I really liked being able to listen to music or story tapes while I made by way to my next location. I would hate that stuff completely if the only viable location to listen to that stuff was just on the chopper.

I don't think it was the environments that were DA:I's problem, but the reasons for being in them. When 95% of the content had very little (and at times nothing at all) to do with the main story, that becomes a huge problem and leads to players getting bored.

Pretty much

The environments in DA:I are beautiful. It was a legitimate joy to explore those locations, they just looked so damn good. Unfortunately, when 80% of the quests are filler and not engaging, it sours the entire experience.

MGSV got my vote. The whole open world design was a detriment to the story, encounters, and the overall pacing of the game. Instead of having a simple point A to B, you have to go through hoops like going back to the chopper and loading the next mission or finding a box fast travel method. In a lot of the case, box travel requires you to run to the box traveling areas.

The open world was mostly barren and having explored it for 100+ hours it feels extremely empty. Most of the patrols are at camps or bases. It does have a truck going from camp to camp, but that's it.

Getting caught feels inconsequential as well because you could easily run out of the base and hide. They won't chase after you since they are mostly confined to 1 base.

The design was a mess for open world.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hitman is a perfect example of why smaller, thoroughly designed levels full of actual content will always be better than a giant open world filled with nothing.

Pretty much every open world game I've played over the last few years has been pretty but ultimately shallow nothingness.

Funny how they over compensated for Dragon Age 2's copy paste design by making more world than anyone cared for.

There was an interview where they said they wanted to have a 3D version of Baldurs Gate 2 in terms of size and amount if content etc.

Obviously the problem is huge 3D spaces are not that fun to run around if there is comparatively little quality content that feels somewhat throwaway.

I feel like Mass Effect wont be as bad purely because of the Mako...having a fast and mobile vehicle will make it feel smaller. Content on the other hand...they have good goals since they said they deliberately wanted to avoid DAI's problem and wanted every sidequest to feel designed.

Dryk

This.

Before the game came out, I was dying to have Hyrule Field be as massive as possible. But upon playing it, there was really no upside to having such huge, sprawling land. It was the game that made me realize that bigger doesn't always mean better.

Wind Waker suffered for similar reasons, but at least the sea appeared way more fun to traverse.
The open ocean is inherently more adventurous than a field you can see all the way across anyway. Sailing for a few minutes into uncharted waters, the island silhouette popping in on the horizon that made you go "WTF is that?", that's why Wind Waker works better.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

I think the open world really took a lot of charm and fun out of the first game. The fun for me in the first game was fast moving gameplay and you didn't have to think about where you wanted to go, you just went. Opening the world up in Catalyst was a detriment to me. That style of game is the last one I wanted slowed down, and secondly, the open world was useless anyway, because I kept taking the same dull routes everywhere, it got so tiring very quickly.

Melchiah

I forgot Burnout Paradise. For me racing is all about pick up & play, being able to choose a track and start racing in no time. Plus having a variety of tracks with different themes. Driving around the city was the opposite of that.

Fbh

Most of them to be honest.
Size is easily one of the most dull and boring ways to design and sell your games. Not many things get me less excited for a game than a dev using the "Our new game is X times bigger than our previous one" argument.

It's also funny how it's allways aassociated with exploration when in fact most open world games have terrible exploration which 90% of the time comes down to following the waypoint or GPS on your mini map.
Meanwhile smaller and more carefully designed environments offer more fun and rewarding exploration. Discovering all the secrets and things to find in an area in the souls franchise is just so much better than walking through large chunks of nothing to find the 20th nearly identical cave in Skyrim, exploring and gaining acces to every location in the hub world of Deus Ex Mankind divided is way more fun than running towards icons on the map in Assassins Creed syndicate.

Rockstar games are some of the few ones where the open world often feels fun. Because their games, GTA in particular, seem to be as much about screwing around in the world as they are about following your GPS in missions

Melchiah

Most of them to be honest.
Size is easily one of the most dull and boring ways to design and sell your games. Not many things get me less excited for a game than a dev using the "Our new game is X times bigger than our previous one" argument.

It's also funny how it's allways aassociated with exploration when in fact most open world games have terrible exploration which 90% of the time comes down to following the waypoint or GPS on your mini map.
Meanwhile smaller and more carefully designed environments offer more fun and rewarding exploration. Discovering all the secrets and things to find in an area in the souls franchise is just so much better than walking through large chunks of nothing to find the 20th nearly identical cave in Skyrim, exploring and gaining acces to every location in the hub world of Deus Ex Mankind divided is way more fun than running towards icons on the map in Assassins Creed syndicate.

That goes for something like Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver as well, where you could find the optional glyphs to learn new abilities, and solve the puzzles involved.

bati

Dragon Age Inquisition. The fucking Hinterlands.

It's not a matter of not being able to fast travel, it's just that there's way too many small fetch quests that keep people occupied, a lot of people spent HOURS and HOURS there without even leaving to another zone, which ultimately ended up souring the experience for a lot of people.

Why does this keep getting posted? Did YOU make it out of the Hinterlands? Because the other zones are just as bad, many even worse because they're more bland.

Neff

I can think of few open world games which didn't feel like they were wasting my time so they could participate in the PR dick measuring contest mandated by the genre these days.

Fallout 3 was my first open world experience and I loved it. The one thing Fallout does better than any open world series is interiors. It's very good at suggesting an explorable world beneath what you immediately see.

I actually didn't have a problem with MGSV's size, the tapes filled travel time nicely and I actually preferred them to the normal codec conversations. Plus the larger camps were so well designed that I always looked forward to them.

Dragon's Dogma got the balance of content vs scale exactly right. I always found I was discovering new, interesting things and making worthy navigational decisions.

I'm looking to Breath of the Wild to show what open world games are really capable of.

MGSV being open world is only to its detriment. A Ground Zeroes style of setup, with discrete levels that you'd just fly to, picking your entry point, would have been so much better. The whole open world concept results in so many needless flaws in that game:

- Why are there a million mindless copy and pasted side missions? Gotta fill that open world, I guess. Game would have been infinitely better if they dropped the current Side Ops entirely, downgraded all 30-something Main Ops that have precisely dick to do with the actual story of the game to Side Ops, and left the 20-ish Main Ops that actually move the story forward as the main story.

- Why do I have to wait for everything? Waiting for development timers, waiting for the helicopter to pick me up, waiting for supplies to drop? Well, there has to be something to do while you're schlepping about in an empty open world with no fast travel. Gotta have that accurate simulation of the crushing monotony of existence.

- Why is the story told in the form of shitty radio plays you have to listen to on cassette? Again, to give you something to keep you awake when you're commuting between interesting parts of the game. "Boss, remember that thing we talked about off-screen? I've made you a cassette tape to tell you about it even though you were fucking there."

TheJoRu

I agree with the Twilight Princess-sentiment. It was truly just bigger because they were able to make it bigger. And I'm not even convinced that "they were able to make it bigger" is entirely correct; they had to compromise a lot to get it to that size. The world is highly sectioned off with long, tight corridors to load the big fields, and several separate areas with load times in between.

I would've been worried for Breath of the Wild, but they seem to have gotten it right this time. The world appears to be fully seamless with little in terms of loading, and everything seems to be designed around the idea of a big world, with so much interactivity with objects and plenty of options in terms of traversing it.

I always thought the map size in Just Cause 2 was too big. It was extremely impressive on a technical level, but I would have preferred something smaller and a bit more densely packed with meaningful locations.

If GTA V's goal was to simulate how boring it is to drive upstate for a chore, mission accomplished

I thought the map size was perfect. It felt like a real place and it was extremely dense but wasn't overly large. I haven't tried driving end-to-end, but I'd bet it takes probably no more than about 7 or 8 minutes to drive from say the airport in Los Santos to the town on the opposite side of the map.

Roufianos

Killzone SF is a really good shout. Had the same brilliant gameplay from 3 but was basically unplayable due to the trash level design.

Racing games (all of them) that have long lap times.

I don't want to run laps that take 2-3 minutes and have to do at least three of them for the course.

Sega Rally nailed it with ~50 secs to 1 minute for the whole course and Daytona's multiple short laps that around ~20 seconds.

Bigger isn't always better but it can be more tedious.

Top Bottom